As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[POKEMON] more like team mystifying why you would ever choose them

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    They haven't even started shutting those sites down yet!! Pokevision stopped of their own accord because Niantic said they didn't like those sites, which like...it's always been clear that would be the official response. Every other one of those things still works exactly as it did before if you want to use one.

As for gyms...I started well before everyone else and people in this thread have already overtaken me. I see people much higher than me all the time. You can still take gyms from them?? Usually I can get it done alone, but ESPECIALLY if you have one or two people helping you, it eases the orocess exponentially.

• Options
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Instead of fixing the 3 footprints glitch they just got rid of footprints so you're still guessing where anything is

Yeah I love how they come out and say, we don't like people using pokevision, we think it's cheating. But they don't fix anything that might actually help us find pokemon.

They said they have priorities (namely fixing the system in the game) before they get to dealing with the third parties skimming their data, so I think the people saying they've already done it might be jumping the gun here. They've just said that they don't like it and that they'll deal with it in time, but like all of their announcements they're putting that stuff way in the future while they get all the systems up and running.

Well currently poke vision is down, and hasn't been up since the update.

I mean if they want to take down the site, it's their perogerative. But personally I use it because the current tracking system is just terrible and without any ability to track pokemon I feel justified to use it.

That's why they said they're working on fixing the system before they worry about dealing with any third party stuff, though?
    Like, this backlash has been about how Niantic doesn't want these third party systems even though they fix some of the current bugs, and 'why doesn't Niantic fix the game first'. Niantic has been saying the whole time 'we're fixing the bugs before we even start doing anything about third party systems'. So, yeah, Niantic has pretty much been on the page everyone wants them to be on from the get go.

Yeah except they are going after 3rd party stuff. They've sent a bunch of C&Ds out, and killed basically any option for a tracking workaround for the user base.

So we're stuck with "here's the up to 9 closest Pokémon, ranked in order of closeness, within like half a mile of you. Good luck!" (fakeedit: This website says 70 meters, down from 100)

So I'm just gonna have it open when I happen to be walking around (usually at work/lunch), or maybe drop an incense and/or lure here or there (until I run out), and that's gonna be that.

Websites are already writing articles about GO failing as fast as it took off

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/31/12335884/pokemon-go-fans-rage-as-tracking-site-shuts-down-footsteps-glitch
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2016/07/30/the-end-of-pokemon-go/#74467a570d71
    T4CT wrote: »
    They haven't even started shutting those sites down yet!! Pokevision stopped of their own accord because Niantic said they didn't like those sites, which like...it's always been clear that would be the official response. Every other one of those things still works exactly as it did before if you want to use one.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/07/31/pokemon-go-cuts-off-access-to-pokevision-and-other-creature-finding-apps/#37289c0b3dba
    Niantic discontinued that feature on Saturday in an update sent to users, which led to plenty of online criticism. It didn’t stop there, however, as the company began blocking third-party access to its servers, according to PokéBliss.com.

“Well, it’s not looking pretty,” the site said in a Facebook post. “Turns out our code has been fine this entire time, but they’re blocking the servers. We attempted a proxy list but for some reason that’s not connecting either.”

Niantic is actively preventing 3rd party sites from offering live tracking alternatives.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    wait did they seriously get rid of battery saver mode

i don't

agh

• Options
    AFAIK they actually haven't sent a single C&D out, where did you hear that?

• Options
    AFAIK they actually haven't sent a single C&D out, where did you hear that?

http://kotaku.com/pokevision-and-other-pokemon-go-trackers-seem-to-have-b-1784602025
    While loved by many, services like Pokevision have always operated in a murky gray area. Beyond arguably enabling cheating, tracking websites/apps often also break Pokémon Go’s terms of services. Some trackers, like Poke Hound, outright charged money for tracking Pokémon. Unsurprisingly, Niantic has reportedly been shutting such websites/apps down, with multiple developers around the web sharing cease and desist letters:

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Tox wrote: »
    Instead of fixing the 3 footprints glitch they just got rid of footprints so you're still guessing where anything is

Yeah I love how they come out and say, we don't like people using pokevision, we think it's cheating. But they don't fix anything that might actually help us find pokemon.

They said they have priorities (namely fixing the system in the game) before they get to dealing with the third parties skimming their data, so I think the people saying they've already done it might be jumping the gun here. They've just said that they don't like it and that they'll deal with it in time, but like all of their announcements they're putting that stuff way in the future while they get all the systems up and running.

I mean if they want to take down the site, it's their perogerative. But personally I use it because the current tracking system is just terrible and without any ability to track pokemon I feel justified to use it.

That's why they said they're working on fixing the system before they worry about dealing with any third party stuff, though?
    Like, this backlash has been about how Niantic doesn't want these third party systems even though they fix some of the current bugs, and 'why doesn't Niantic fix the game first'. Niantic has been saying the whole time 'we're fixing the bugs before we even start doing anything about third party systems'. So, yeah, Niantic has pretty much been on the page everyone wants them to be on from the get go.

Yeah except they are going after 3rd party stuff. They've sent a bunch of C&Ds out, and killed basically any option for a tracking workaround for the user base.

So we're stuck with "here's the up to 9 closest Pokémon, ranked in order of closeness, within like half a mile of you. Good luck!" (fakeedit: This website says 70 meters, down from 100)

So I'm just gonna have it open when I happen to be walking around (usually at work/lunch), or maybe drop an incense and/or lure here or there (until I run out), and that's gonna be that.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/31/12335884/pokemon-go-fans-rage-as-tracking-site-shuts-down-footsteps-glitch
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2016/07/30/the-end-of-pokemon-go/#74467a570d71

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/07/31/pokemon-go-cuts-off-access-to-pokevision-and-other-creature-finding-apps/#37289c0b3dba
    Niantic discontinued that feature on Saturday in an update sent to users, which led to plenty of online criticism. It didn’t stop there, however, as the company began blocking third-party access to its servers, according to PokéBliss.com.

“Well, it’s not looking pretty,” the site said in a Facebook post. “Turns out our code has been fine this entire time, but they’re blocking the servers. We attempted a proxy list but for some reason that’s not connecting either.”

Niantic is actively preventing 3rd party sites from offering live tracking alternatives.

From those two articles it looks like the only 'fucking stop it' which is a screenshot with no explanation of whether it's an email or not is from the site that was charging $5 a week, which is a very very clear violation in terms of profiting off of Niantics intellectual property. Pokevision voluntarily quit offering tracking.

from the comments of your Reddit via Kotaku link:
    'Both videos show a tablet running Pokemon GO to demonstrate that Mila432's Python API is farming pokemon and pokestops, but to a non-technical person it looks like this API could be altering Pokemon GO's network data, which it's not.'

so again this isn't a tracker being issued a C&D this is someone building an app to farm for you without input

cabsy on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Okay. I don't honestly care if they do insert more pokemon. I just want them to fix tracking, and maybe say something (anything) to the people who are playing the game. I understand that fixes take a while but a little communication wouldn't hurt.

John Hanke (Niantic CEO) has been giving regular interviews about the current state of the game and the future of the game. He's not talking to sites like Kotaku though, he's talking to Forbes and Business Insider, and the gaming media have been spinning out of that. The game journalists been especially bad about the whole thing too, which has been frustrating for me to read.

Like every few days they misrepresent something to make a salacious headline and it spins out into new articles being written about the spin instead of the actual thing being said or done.
    That whole "People invested in Nintendo thinking they made Pokemon Go" thing? Turns out Niantic, The Pokemon Company, and Game Freak are all privately held companies. People didn't invest in them because they can't.
    Gen 2 and Breeding? That's from something Hanke said they're going to look into, but that's way in the future until they get the stuff they already have planned implemented and fixed.

Niantic shutting down PokeVision? Turns out that narrative spun out of the Forbes article up there.
    F: How do you feel about the people that are trying to cheat the game? I saw a guy put up a train set around his home for his phone.

JH: Hah! To hatch his eggs? Well that’s kind of cheating, but it’s kind of creative and funny to so I don’t really mind it. He’s only cheating himself.

I saw a turntable hack. I saw that one for hatching eggs.

F: How do you feel about Poké Radar and things that tap into the code and show where Pokémon are spawning?

JH: Yeah, I don’t really like that. Not a fan.

We have priorities right now but they might find in the future that those things may not work. People are only hurting themselves because it takes some fun out of the game. People are hacking around trying to take data out of our system and that’s against our terms of service.

F: But in every game you have that. You have people with cheat codes.

JH: True but it’s a multiplayer context… It’s a constant battle. World Of Warcraft had that too.

F: I think your intent is to open up one-on-one [battles] and right now you can go to these gyms. But it’s not really multiplayer in the sense that I’m seeing other people in the game, at least yet, right?

JH: That’s true. But the team gym aspect of it is something we think is important to the game long-term. For that to work, that has to be free of a large amount of cheating and spoofing.

Sorry about the little extra rant there.

• Options
    cabsy wrote: »

From those two articles it looks like the only 'fucking stop it' which is a screenshot with no explanation of whether it's an email or not is from the site that was charging $5 a week, which is a very very clear violation in terms of profiting off of Niantics intellectual property. Pokevision voluntarily quit offering tracking.

Re-read my quote. Pokevision said Niantic is blocking their servers.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    After playing ingress for awhile I don't expect niantic to ever comment on what it will eventually do

• Options
    edited July 2016
    cabsy wrote: »

Re-read my quote. Pokevision said Niantic is blocking their servers.

no, pokebliss - which is a third party app that required installation - said that. and pokehound, the source of a possible c&d, charged money.

like if you don't want to play without the ability to use those add-ons, that's legit! there's just a ton of misinformation out there

cabsy on
  • Options
    I do think it's incredible how well Niantic is bungling their game after stabilizing the servers

• Options
    I do think it's incredible how well Niantic is bungling their game after stabilizing the servers

seriously, like would it kill someone to actually issue a statement or fucking something?

• Options
    also, as a small PSA: basically all the desktop applications still function just fine, you just should make a different Trainer account or a throwaway google account to use them in case they start banning those accounts ever? But that's what I've been using since day 1 and it's working perfectly

• Options
    i was planning to go running and hatch this first 10k in mmmmostly one fell swoop but i'm thinking without battery saver my phone won't hold out, at least not without literally burning a hole through my shorts

i want to love this game but. goddamn it.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    You probably could but iunno what your phone looks like. Turn off background apps and turn the brightness down?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    i guess i don't need to know what the stock market looks like all the time, it's true

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This new job I'm likely getting will be one where I get out at 2:30 AM

Which is awesome because it means it will be easy to go on late night gym runs and collect a few rewards every night when many people aren't playing

Also, thanks to this thread I've decided to start an X Nuzlocke run

My Y save file is far too precious to sacrifice

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Battery saver is still up for me, post patch

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Eggs aren't a problem for me, I work on a huge campus with a very low speed limit, so I just plug my phone into the charger, toss it on the passenger seat, and cruise around while I eat my lunch.

I'll admit that's kind of cheating, but it's also literally the only time I have to hatch eggs and with just the one incubator, well

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    They only removed it from iOS phones because it didn't really work there anyway

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    but it also doesn't work on android

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    i guess i don't need to know what the stock market looks like all the time, it's true

what if you could level up pokemon based on the performance of the stock market

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Brexit would have caused a Pokemon genocide

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Brexit would have caused a Pokemon genocide

but nerds would have cared

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The trainer ID number has indicated to me that my starter will be a Froakie, which I have decided to name Batroc

Already off to the best possible start

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The trainer ID number has indicated to me that my starter will be a Froakie, which I have decided to name Batroc

Already off to the best possible start

Batroc...hehehe...the Leaper?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    A snorlax appeared on my nearby list
    I have only encountered one other snorlax and it was cp 43 - thankfully I know where everything spawns around here so I was actually able to find it in time
    It took a while to catch with the new curveball physics or whatever but finally:
    5KvhFg2l.png

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I actually chortled at that

good pokepost

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Based on a true story

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    Between buying battery cases and poke coins my roommate and I dropped 300 dollars on pokemon between us yesterday
    Yeah, I put in 10 bucks the other day because I want more Lucky Eggs and probably some incubators.

Progress Update: Hit level 25 yesterday and my Pokedex is at 114! :)

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    also, as a small PSA: basically all the desktop applications still function just fine, you just should make a different Trainer account or a throwaway google account to use them in case they start banning those accounts ever? But that's what I've been using since day 1 and it's working perfectly

Which are you talking about?

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

Which are you talking about?
    Taranis wrote: »
    No Pokevision? No problem.

https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases/tag/v0.1.6

Lets you host a map on your computer which is accessible from mobile devices. Requires a throwaway PTC account.

You have to get a google maps API key (which was easy) for the map, which I used my actual google account for, but as far as I can tell the API key is only a google maps which means it shouldn't tip off Niantic.

prob that

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    I'm going to need anger management classes if I'm going to keep playing this game

Nearly smashed my phone when I got Mr. Mime from a 10 km egg for the third goddamn time

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    I'm going to need anger management classes if I'm going to keep playing this game

Nearly smashed my phone when I got Mr. Mime from a 10 km egg for the third goddamn time

Anger aside that is the appropriate response to seeing a Mr. Mime

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Pokevision was basically the only way I was able to find Pokemon that weren't part of the few dozen that are always around so without it, the game's sense of progress grinds to a halt for me.

• Options
    Man, i would be so happy to hatch a mime man

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Beats getting an eevee

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    It'll all be awesome when we can trade 'mons

Between all of us we'd be able to get everything quickly, aside from possibly dragonite

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    I didn't mind the first Mime I hatched, even though I've caught two wild

But for a third damn time?

It's like I walked 30 km just to get kicked in the nuts

I would take literally any of the other 10 km pokes instead

This discussion has been closed.