As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[POKEMON] more like team mystifying why you would ever choose them

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I prefer footsteps being gone, I hope they keep it this way

There needs to be something to tell me where pokemon are because I stopped playing after an electabuzz showed up on my radar and it was impossible to find

If they were going to take away the footsteps they should take out the radar entirely because it's just frustrating knowing that I could catch something cool if only I was clairvoyant

The list order still works

When the footsteps still worked the closest pokemon was still frequently two or three steps away

There's a way of triangulating it using the compass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSVfBTbMADE
    Starts at 3:36, also works without the paw prints if you use positioning on the list.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    WOOO

Team Mystic Represent!
    bq3eliumegve.png

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    real glad they're now allowing people to recustomize their avatars

I picked all red shit when i first started because thats all that looked good but jesus why would i want to be on the moltres team

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Instead of fixing the 3 footprints glitch they just got rid of footprints so you're still guessing where anything is

Yeah I love how they come out and say, we don't like people using pokevision, we think it's cheating. But they don't fix anything that might actually help us find pokemon.

They said they have priorities (namely fixing the system in the game) before they get to dealing with the third parties skimming their data, so I think the people saying they've already done it might be jumping the gun here. They've just said that they don't like it and that they'll deal with it in time, but like all of their announcements they're putting that stuff way in the future while they get all the systems up and running.

Well currently poke vision is down, and hasn't been up since the update.

I mean if they want to take down the site, it's their perogerative. But personally I use it because the current tracking system is just terrible and without any ability to track pokemon I feel justified to use it.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    real glad they're now allowing people to recustomize their avatars

I picked all red shit when i first started because thats all that looked good but jesus why would i want to be on the moltres team

I'm on team Instinct mostly because my dude was wearing some fresh yellow gear when they told me I had to pick a side. Which seems appropriate, really.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    YWl2U7al.jpg

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Nuzlocke Pearl

The route to the first gym involved a cave, a blocked route out of town and a small mine. As such three new recruits for a full team of 6 already.

Cragger the Onix, Henchlord the Machop and Pffffffft the Onix join the crew. As a note the more esoteric names are because I grab the nearest available family member to name my guys and my youngest daughter is three.

Handing me rock smash as a TM right next to a mine full of rock types allowed some quick levelling and it was time to take on the rock gym.

1D3227BC-1B06-4B2D-8E3E-DC8301B7EDB0_zps8ksyevsf.jpg

Karate chop, Karate Chop, Karate Chop, Low Kick.

Henchlord storms through singlehandedly.

Onwards!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Pokevision is saying their services are currently unavailable and to check their twitter. Twitter says they're respecting Niantic's wishes.

Guessing they're preemptively avoiding any trouble and hoping fans complain to Go to let Pokevision continue until they fix tracking

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Understandable but also kind of a bummer

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    It's funny because thanks to my new job I was ready to drop $100 on coins but not now. I've had points where the closest Pokémon was blocks away. With no other way to track, it's gonna be casual hunting only for me.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    currently working out my own "rules" for this nuzlocke. It's a bit tricky because I don't know the game or modern Pokemon well enough, so I'm pretty much guessing at a lot of pokemons typing (and I'm honestly kinda iffy on the updates that happened to the type chart)

currently thinking:
    -exp share is of course off
    -set battle style
    -items can be used, but the only items that can be bought are pokeballs
    -can only retreat to a pokecenter once when embarking on a new route
    -upon reaching a new town, I get 3 pokecenter heals worth of grinding before I need to challenge the gym or progress forward
    -can't google Pokemon types or evo requirements

I dunno how good of a balance this is atm, though. I started these rules upon reaching the 1st gym so I did already do a bunch of healing through your friend in the forest and such when I wasn't feeling it needed to be stricter

Balance is tough with Pokemon because there's a LOT of RNG to account for. Also that last criteria would basically be pointless for me unless you, like, hit me over the head first.

oh yeah that last rule is specifically me since I can't remember/never really knew a lot of them. the "ignorance" clause

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    currently working out my own "rules" for this nuzlocke. It's a bit tricky because I don't know the game or modern Pokemon well enough, so I'm pretty much guessing at a lot of pokemons typing (and I'm honestly kinda iffy on the updates that happened to the type chart)

currently thinking:
    -exp share is of course off
    -set battle style
    -items can be used, but the only items that can be bought are pokeballs
    -can only retreat to a pokecenter once when embarking on a new route
    -upon reaching a new town, I get 3 pokecenter heals worth of grinding before I need to challenge the gym or progress forward
    -can't google Pokemon types or evo requirements

I dunno how good of a balance this is atm, though. I started these rules upon reaching the 1st gym so I did already do a bunch of healing through your friend in the forest and such when I wasn't feeling it needed to be stricter

Balance is tough with Pokemon because there's a LOT of RNG to account for. Also that last criteria would basically be pointless for me unless you, like, hit me over the head first.

oh yeah that last rule is specifically me since I can't remember/never really knew a lot of them. the "ignorance" clause

Honestly, that's the one neat thing about that fan game--all those "new" Pokemon with absolutely no idea what they are would be cool, if they didn't look so crummy.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Yeah I was hesitant at first but now Im definitely looking into poke go ++ when its released. All theyve done is nerf casuals and let guys that have end game pokemon maintain their lead

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Yeah I was hesitant at first but now Im definitely looking into poke go ++ when its released. All theyve done is nerf casuals and let guys that have end game pokemon maintain their lead

Also the Plus was pushed back from late July to September

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

Also the Plus was pushed back from late July to September

No no Poke go ++is a program.

It lets you do things like home in on pokemon ( or simply find them on a map) or move your character independent of you( which if your GPS is a piece of shit like mine is helpful)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That seems like something that Niantic would try to shut down real quick

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    From what I hear, Niantic is pretty tough on cheaters though.

• Options
    Hadn't heard of that, but the second feature may be problematic, depending on the range. "GPS hacks" have gotten people banned

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That seems like something that Niantic would try to shut down real quick

A coworker of mine has been playing on his pc from about a week after launch, which applies built in gps sway to user controlled gps - it will probably always be indistinguishable from a regular player as long as he doesn't go nuts with teleporting

I think right now their attempts to shut things down is relying on people respecting their wishes/legal actions but long term there's always people who aren't gonna

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I like how battery saver mode freezes my game every single time

Though I guess it does save the battery that way

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I gave this game a go this week and really enjoyed it through the help of Pokevision. I know it's not the intended way to play the game but as a casual, it was great. I could keep an eye on my area when it got near to lunch time and then when pokes I didn't have appeared, I could head out and have a fun half hour with the game. It felt like a game because you had a destination(s) and a set time to get there. I knew the stakes and it was up to me to accomplish my goals accordingly. Now, without that and no real way to have any idea what the fuck is around you, beyond that ridiculously basic menu, I really couldn't give a shit. It's now more of an add on to my general walking around. If I find a Pokemon, great but the way you have to constantly have the app open, doesn't really fit into that in any satisfying way at all.

I'm not going to try and wander round blindly for ages with my phone constantly out, and the Go app open and active without any guarantee of even modest success. That's tedious and frustrating in the extreme. I won't bemoan anyone who enjoys this and I guess it's early days in the game but yeah, not for me sadly.

• Options
    If we go by the intended way to play the game it's drop 400 bucks on it and power level to around 30 in 3 days then your 2300 pokemon will make gyms almost impossible to beat and give you fairly steady income and stardust to remain on top

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Instead of fixing the 3 footprints glitch they just got rid of footprints so you're still guessing where anything is

Yeah I love how they come out and say, we don't like people using pokevision, we think it's cheating. But they don't fix anything that might actually help us find pokemon.

They said they have priorities (namely fixing the system in the game) before they get to dealing with the third parties skimming their data, so I think the people saying they've already done it might be jumping the gun here. They've just said that they don't like it and that they'll deal with it in time, but like all of their announcements they're putting that stuff way in the future while they get all the systems up and running.

Well currently poke vision is down, and hasn't been up since the update.

I mean if they want to take down the site, it's their perogerative. But personally I use it because the current tracking system is just terrible and without any ability to track pokemon I feel justified to use it.

That's why they said they're working on fixing the system before they worry about dealing with any third party stuff, though?
    Like, this backlash has been about how Niantic doesn't want these third party systems even though they fix some of the current bugs, and 'why doesn't Niantic fix the game first'. Niantic has been saying the whole time 'we're fixing the bugs before we even start doing anything about third party systems'. So, yeah, Niantic has pretty much been on the page everyone wants them to be on from the get go.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    very glad i don't give a dang about gyms, poke go is 100% about collecting mons for me

though i finally started resorting to pokevision on my bike ride home from work, just to see if there a special route i could take to nab something cool. sad to see it go without them actually fixing tracking.

but i've got a dog who has to go on walks and i just like walks in general so it'll remain a fun little thing to chip away at during those times

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't think there are really any gyms that are going to end up too powerful for nobody to take down. Maybe you won't be able to roll up on some of them by yourself, but the whole "gather together in real life" thing is a pretty core element of the game. I've seen the gym across the street from my apartment get packed with pretty swole Pokemon and it changes hands at least twice a day.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I don't think there are really any gyms that are going to end up too powerful for nobody to take down. Maybe you won't be able to roll up on some of them by yourself, but the whole "gather together in real life" thing is a pretty core element of the game. I've seen the gym across the street from my apartment get packed with pretty swole Pokemon and it changes hands at least twice a day.

I think this will be true -eventually-

Currently, everyone I know in and around town (I live in a small place) are sitting between levels 18 and 21 .... Except one red bastard at level 30 with an eggsomethingoranother that has like 2.9k that no one can touch =p

Which I guess is great if you're red and happen to have a slot in one of his gyms

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It's essentially impossible for me to hold more than one gym at a time long enough to actually get the rewards.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    It's essentially impossible for me to hold more than one gym at a time long enough to actually get the rewards.

You could check the Facebook groups in your city. There's one for each team in mine and they coordinate taking down gyms together in order to get 10 coins a day. You have to have pretty strong mons to effectively participate though.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I've never had trouble taking down a gym by myself-- by chipping away at the first one and then fleeing repeatedly if need be.

What's hard is boosting a gym!

I don't aim for more than 10 coins (1 gym) per day though

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Or 10 collects I mean - they hold 10 gyms

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    I wouldn't try to hold down multiple gyms if it's like, the middle of the day and they're both in high traffic areas. There's a couple I can access by bike that are more low-traffic, and if I catch them at the right time, I can get both without really pushing it. And by catching them at the right time, I mean: if someone on my team already has them or something.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

I mean if someone wants to go real hardcore they could just get a couple other folks with super powered mons and take a road trip out into the country.

The rural playerbase is to small and scattered to make teaming up to take over a super powerful gym really feasible, and the lack of good mons and pokestops means that no one person will be able to grind it down without burning through their whole limited supply of items.

I check the gym at my job almost every day and the best thing I've seen on there was a 1.5k Lapras (and by itself cause I imagine no one else could successfully train on it). A group of friends load up a couple gyms with 3 or 4 2k+ mons and they'll have a steady coin supply for a good while.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    yeah, that's part of an ongoing problem they're going to have with this game until they can figure out ways to balance the gap between low-population and high-population areas. I don't know if there's really a fix for that

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Between buying battery cases and poke coins my roommate and I dropped 300 dollars on pokemon between us yesterday

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They are supposedly going to be introducing the Gen 2 pokemon along with breeding soon?

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    They are supposedly going to be introducing the Gen 2 pokemon along with breeding soon?

I would be surprised if they introduced those before trading. I don't think they've even launched in South America, yet, and they don't even have Ditto in the game, or the gen 1 legendaries. I would expect that they'd hold off on newer generations of Pokemon for a while.

• Options

After a quick google search and a reverse image search on the images being used to report it, it's actually just some Redditor's presentation on how they want Niantic to introduce Gen II and breeding.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4uu9w1/a_4step_infographic_on_how_id_bring_generation_ii/

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Okay. I don't honestly care if they do insert more pokemon. I just want them to fix tracking, and maybe say something (anything) to the people who are playing the game. I understand that fixes take a while but a little communication wouldn't hurt.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You're not supposed to hold gyms for longer periods by design

There's usually a much, much larger number of players in an area than there are spots in gyms

Gyms are easy to take and difficult to hold so that there will be turnover, and everyone gets a chance at the daily rewards

The challenge is to have as many pokes as possible inside gyms before you cash in for the day

Stronger mons and travelling in groups will help buy you time so you can take more gyms before you start getting back capped

Setting out to create unbreachable gyms is a fool's errand, and not how the game works or is intended to work

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Okay. I don't honestly care if they do insert more pokemon. I just want them to fix tracking, and maybe say something (anything) to the people who are playing the game. I understand that fixes take a while but a little communication wouldn't hurt.

Tracking is now fixed I think, in that they're intentionally moving away from it in response to concerns about people chasing things across countries and off cliffs etc
    The further fix would be removing that indicator entirely

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
This discussion has been closed.