Options

Rat Rod [chat]

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    MrMister wrote: »
    You don't sound very fun

I am all for fun within strictly enforced parameters and with an intensively vetted list of people.

Attend one of these parties and report back. For science.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Fuck I hate The Project

An Australian "news and current affairs" program.

It is just beyond awful, empty and shallow.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Let's have fun but let's have safe fun

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I nominate a walking tour of York

• Options
    York is genuinely a lovely place.

• Options
    Yorkminster almost feels too big as a cathedral.

• Options
    It does the job though: Coming out of it I spyed another church and it looked astoundingly bland by comparison.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    He's British.

They have hot water bottles.

Just piles and piles of them.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    A nice statue of Constantine outside. This Septimius Severus erasure.

• Options
    And on that tangent I shall end this Eboracophilia as Cato would.

• Options
    Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Carthage looked cool on drawings and stuff, that harbor was pretty advanced.

My biggest wtf was learning Hannibal was in Italy for 20 years. I don't understand how that worked.

Second biggest wtf was that the elephants used snowboard, I always thought they used skis,

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

My biggest wtf was learning Hannibal was in Italy for 20 years. I don't understand how that worked.

Second biggest wtf was that the elephants used snowboard, I always thought they used skis,

There's a lot of reasons but the tl:dr is that wars tended to be a lot slower back in the day.

• Options

While Rome ruled Italy, the majority of Italy was not Roman, it was tribes and city states who had acknowledged Roman hegemony. Hannibal's strategy was to break their ties to Rome and leave the city itself isolated. Unfortunately while that got him new recruits in the North and from Gaul, the main objective never really took, and only one city toyed with unilateral defection. He could march up to a town and capture it, but because he avoided battles unless he set the terms of it, when his army marched on Rome could retake it.

Also by all accounts he inspired serious devotion in his troops.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

While Rome ruled Italy, the majority of Italy was not Roman, it was tribes and city states who had acknowledged Roman hegemony. Hannibal's strategy was to break their ties to Rome and leave the city itself isolated. Unfortunately while that got him new recruits in the North and from Gaul, the main objective never really took, and only one city toyed with unilateral defection. He could march up to a town and capture it, but because he avoided battles unless he set the terms of it, when his army marched on Rome could retake it.

Wrong Hannibal was sent to do that job.

200_s.gif

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I mean, i'd be devoted too if i was under threat of being eated.

Get it?

it's a joke.

About the contemporary novel character of Hanibal.

Who is an anthropophagic person.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I see, it's interesting. There are a lot of wtf's like that for me regarding ancient times. Time and distances are really weird.

Like if you ask me how far someone could realistically travel in a lifetime in 300 BC I could imagine myself guessing like 1000 miles. But then someone will be like btw Alexander fought and conquered from Greece into India in like 5 years oh okay.

Genghis Khan was born in a little old village and conquered basically two continents in his lifetime and traveled on a horse oh okay.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I see, it's interesting. There are a lot of wtf's like that for me regarding ancient times. Time and distances are really weird.

Like if you ask me how far someone could realistically travel in a lifetime in 300 BC I could imagine myself guessing like 1000 miles. But then someone will be like btw Alexander fought and conquered from Greece into India in like 5 years oh okay.

Genghis Khan was born in a little old village and conquered basically two continents in his lifetime and traveled on a horse oh okay.

This is why it's important to travel in a TARDIS when you visit ancient times.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I've had some interesting musings about how humanity doesn't care about distance as much as we care about travel time.

I know it takes ~24 minutes on the subway to get from home to central Stockholm.

The distance? No clue.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Thursday. Ugh. Can't it be Friday already?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Truth

I get to see Weezer from about 20ft away on Friday

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Musings:

In investigations of corporate and/or political misconduct, the standard defence when you are unable to hide the smoking gun is to either feign ignorance or "admit" you made a mistake. This comes from a very human notion that it's better to admit incompetence than deliberate malfeasance.

The problem with this from an ethical standpoint is some cases of misconduct are so terrible that the source of your misconduct effectively becomes moot and you should be punished regardless. In my experience though the "incompetent" are able to scrape by.

Example: The phone hacking scandal. Rupert Murdoch's defense was to claim he had no personal knowledge of it going on. But short of evidence of his subordinates striving to conceal it from him, isn't it his duty to know? To make sure his company isn't breaking the law? And in failing to do so shouldn't there be consequences for him?

These questions are from an idealistic perspective and the real world probably disagrees with me, but I still think it's interesting to consider.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

Truth

I get to see Weezer from about 20ft away on Friday

My sister saw the open for panic at the Disco. Pretty jealous. But I haven't followed Weezer since idk like 2002 and even then I probably would just want to hear Pinkerton cuts.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Also hi chat good morning hope you are all well.

I am drinking coffee in bed and listening to the recent elliphant album and it's great.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Loads of old wars stalled out while both sides waited for new soldiers to reach fighting age so that they could actually field an army again.

The Hundred Years war is a pretty good example of this I seem to recall? You have periods of several major, intense battles where sides wore down their usable armies, then a few years while they train up kids to take the field, then the battles start again.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Loads of old wars stalled out while both sides waited for new soldiers to reach fighting age so that they could actually field an army again.

The Hundred Years war is a pretty good example of this I seem to recall? You have periods of several major, intense battles where sides wore down their usable armies, then a few years while they train up kids to take the field, then the battles start again.

I think there were also a few short-lived peace treaties as well, making it more a series of conflicts than constant if lulled war.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Christ today is boring in work

• Options
    *Googles*

1337-1360
    1369-1389
    1415-1453

Sounds right

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I've had some interesting musings about how humanity doesn't care about distance as much as we care about travel time.

I know it takes ~24 minutes on the subway to get from home to central Stockholm.

The distance? No clue.

These days I care almost more about how hard it is to park at wherever I'm going. Certain places in SF, I just park somewhere easy and uber from there. But I'm shit with using public transportation so a lot of that is my fault.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Tav wrote: »
    Christ today is boring in work
    Well maybe Christ thinks you're boring today too.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Teen’s Senior Photo Shoot Crashed by Naked Guy and His Dog [in Eugene Oregon]

Google it if you want to see @skippydumptruck naked I guess

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Aw skippy when did you get a Doggie

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Viking museum or rail museum?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    So apparently Bergen got, to the millimetre, as much rain as Oslo (581 mm), Trondheim (476 mm) and Tromsø (419 mm) put together, 1476 mm

that is today's fun fact

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Viking museum is currently Balkanized due to flooding damage, so Rail Museum wins by default.

• Options
    Off to yoga. Have a nice morning chat.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Viking museum is currently Balkanized due to flooding damage, so Rail Museum wins by default.

It is? Shame

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I also like just wandering around Whitby

People have made fun of me for it

"There's nothing to do there" they say

Which is exactly the point

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

This discussion has been closed.