Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I started Enchanted Arms at least 10 different times and never finished it

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Trails of Cold Steel is still amazing. I honestly have no idea how much more time I have with it.

Get ready for a mind blowing fact: Cold Steel 2 is better in just about every way.

That is actually kind of incomprehensible to me. Like, in a good way though. Because this game is almost perfect as it is.

Twice now the game has shown me a character, then later on shown me another character who looks suspiciously familiar to that first one except they are wearing glasses or a hat and a different outfit. And i'm like, well obviously this is just the same person and now there's going to be a sequence of dumb shenanigans over the misunderstanding/unawareness.

Then a second later Rean says "hey, you're actually <person 1>, aren't you?" and then they confirm it and the story continues.

It's BRILLIANT. A JRPG where people aren't complete morons about everything. I honestly cannot believe it is the same series as Trails in the Sky.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    a game where you can die by monsters draining your mp that takes place almost exclusively on a single planet that was also just a dream

More importantly, you can kill enemies by MP. That was fantastic.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Radius wrote: »
    Hey, if someone could recap the plot of Eternal Sonata to me without looking it up that'd be great, because I can guarantee you that the plot didn't have fuck all to actually do with Chopin

it was literally a fever dream of a dying chopin

that was the plot

it was supposed to be based ona fairy tale or something he heard as a kid?

no, i get that, i meant, what actually took place in the fever dream. You start off trying to help Polka, but then you join a rebellion and it becomes about political espionage.

Also there was a shepherd who shot a bow?

Also Chopin does basically nothing the entire game, he's worse than Vaan.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I actually kinda liked playing SO4. I mean, I skipped every single one of the godawful cutscenes after a point and completely ignored the entirety of the plot, but in terms of actual gameplay, 4 isn't too bad.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Trails of Cold Steel is still amazing. I honestly have no idea how much more time I have with it.

Get ready for a mind blowing fact: Cold Steel 2 is better in just about every way.

That is actually kind of incomprehensible to me. Like, in a good way though. Because this game is almost perfect as it is.

Twice now the game has shown me a character, then later on shown me another character who looks suspiciously familiar to that first one except they are wearing glasses or a hat and a different outfit. And i'm like, well obviously this is just the same person and now there's going to be a sequence of dumb shenanigans over the misunderstanding/unawareness.

Then a second later Rean says "hey, you're actually <person 1>, aren't you?" and then they confirm it and the story continues.

It's BRILLIANT. A JRPG where people aren't complete morons about everything. I honestly cannot believe it is the same series as Trails in the Sky.

One of my favorite bits in the first game involves Sharon saying goodbye to everyone and seeing them off to a field study, and then they're just like "So...does anyone think she won't already be there when we show up?"

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Hey, if someone could recap the plot of Eternal Sonata to me without looking it up that'd be great, because I can guarantee you that the plot didn't have fuck all to actually do with Chopin

it was literally a fever dream of a dying chopin

that was the plot

it was supposed to be based ona fairy tale or something he heard as a kid?

no, i get that, i meant, what actually took place in the fever dream. You start off trying to help Polka, but then you join a rebellion and it becomes about political espionage.

Also there was a shepherd who shot a bow?

Also Chopin does basically nothing the entire game, he's worse than Vaan.

something about music

• Options
    Literally the only thing I remember about Eternal Sonata is the death scene that is so long it literally flashes back to earlier in the scene.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So is Ys Origin any good?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So is Ys Origin any good?

There isn't a bad Ys game.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Ys origin is in my opinion a very good game and one of the best ys games

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's good that the Tales talk was expunged from the JRPG thread, so it could get back to being the Granblue thread.

Yea.

I'm not quite sure why a current jurp got booted from the jurp thread so that it could go back to being a phone game thread.

Wrrrryyyyy

At the time it was like the entire last three pages, and since the split that thread has generated more posts that this thread. If I thought Granblue had a chance to make it on its own I'd kick that out, too.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    if we're talking about quality japanese role playing games we could talk about the impending remaster of star ocean 3

Hmmm.....
    i don't see what the problem is

Maybe they'll remaster it into a good game.

After Star Ocean 2. I found 3 to just be disappointing in every way.

Yukira on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I've been playing Front Mission 3 on and off for the past few weeks, a strategy jurp counts as a jurp right?

Front Mission 3 is real good

Know what's amazing? Front Mission 5.
    Know what's kinda MEH and not so great? Front Mission 4.

Well that's a bummer to hear seeing as I bought it already

But I also bought it for 4 bucks so not too big a loss if I don't dig it

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I started playing P4 Golden for the first time, and looking at a spoiler-free S-link guide I seemed to have fucked up the sequencing of some things.
    It's April 20th and I went into the TV world to rescue Yukiko. But I guess doing so means I missed out on some stuff with Yosuke, Chie and Marie. Should I restart if I want to get the true ending/epilogue stuff, or will I be able to make it up later? I'd like to get the game done without resorting to new game + before P5 is released, and I'm close enough to the start that it wouldn't be too much of a pain to begin again.

Really digging the game so far. The cast and story are both great and Teddie hasn't been too bad, although it's early so that can change.

Midnite on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Front Mission 3 on and off for the past few weeks, a strategy jurp counts as a jurp right?

FM4 is okay. Its mechanically better than 3 but the story is not great. I liked it enough for the gameplay

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Midnite wrote: »
    I started playing P4 Golden for the first time, and looking at a spoiler-free S-link guide I seemed to have fucked up the sequencing of some things.
    It's April 20th and I went into the TV world to rescue Yukiko. But I guess doing so means I missed out on some stuff with Yosuke, Chie and Marie. Should I restart if I want to get the true ending/epilogue stuff, or will I be able to make it up later? I'd like to get the game done without resorting to new game + before P5 is released, and I'm close enough to the start that it wouldn't be to much of a pain to begin again.

Really digging the game so far. The cast and story are both great and Teddie hasn't been too bad, although it's early so that can change.

Non-character specific spoilers related to the endings:
    The true ending stuff doesn't happen until December...3rd I believe, and your social link status will not impact the result.

For the GOLDEN ending...
    you will want to have Marie at rank 10 before around this time.

If you look back a bit in this thread, you'll see when I basically started having a similar predicament to you. I'll say this: once I figured out just how strictly regimented the game is if you want to do a full S link playthrough (partly through the advice of people on this board) I stopped trying for that and instead focused on either characters I liked or characters recommended here. I found the game much more enjoyable at my own pace, with more flexibility to take extra days in the TV or to do other activities. And it's the kind of game I could see myself playing again because I liked it so much, so it leaves the social links I DIDN'T do as new content. Hell by default there's 2 social links you'll never see in your first playthrough because you have to pick a sports and cultural club.

In particular, this was the post that calmed me down and helped me just enjoy the game (thanks @WeedLordVegeta )

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/36782485#Comment_36782485

rhylith on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get every s link maxed or anything, especially if it's your first time playing.

Don't even bother with spoiler free guides.

• Options
    Hilariously I started playing P3 and IMMEDIATELY did the same fucking thing again, and finally convinced myself to stop worrying there and just play again.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Awesome. Thanks a lot, that's a big relief. And yeah memories of P3P are why I started going crazy worrying about missing stuff.

Basically more games need to be like Radiant Historia or the Tactics Ogre remake and let me time travel to see all the story beats.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i find persona new game + options to be actually worthwhile compared to, say, basically every other new game + ever

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    "but chrono trigger, weed lord!!!"

but nothin', chump

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    So are any of the Trails games better or different from Trails in the Sky? I got to what I think is the last dungeon due to sheer stubbornness and the expectation that it was good. I can't think of a single character that I actually care about and the villain's motivations are laughable.

• Options
    Even if you're only ever going to play it once

It's way better to just invest your time in the social links you prioritize and yeah maybe you miss some content but that's better than getting all the content at the expense of actually enjoying the game

• Options
    glimmung wrote: »
    So are any of the Trails games better or different from Trails in the Sky? I got to what I think is the last dungeon due to sheer stubbornness and the expectation that it was good. I can't think of a single character that I actually care about and the villain's motivations are laughable.

Cold Steel is better than Sky in literally every way.

But I gotta side eye your not liking Olivier, tbh

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    In P3 news, I just found out teleporting downstairs heals you to full.

Fucking hell.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Naphtali wrote: »

FM4 is okay. Its mechanically better than 3 but the story is not great. I liked it enough for the gameplay

Meanwhile 5 is better in both story and gameplay.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

And we never got it overseas.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Trails in the Sky is a garbage fire that I gave up on after chapter 3.

Trails of Cold Steel is probably in the top 5 best jrpgs I have ever played. Currently over 70 hours in and i'm still loving almost every second with these people.

E: HOLY SHIT OLIVIER WAS IN TRAILS OF THE SKY?

Wow. The character is almost unrecognizable from that game. In Sky he is an awful stereotype. In Cold Steel he is awesome.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Dragkonias wrote: »

And we never got it overseas.

100% fan translated.

Edit: It's sad that we didn't officially get the best game in the series because sales of the worst one were not so hot over here.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hows Bravely Second compared to Bravely Default.

• Options
    Oof, just got home and sat down to finish the GBF event

Looks like Eugen's voice actor is still sick

His recycled partial lines stand out really badly against everyone else

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular

Cold Steel is better than Sky in literally every way.

But I gotta side eye your not liking Olivier, tbh

Oliver was better than the rest of the cast, which is a pretty low bar.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    what are these aggressively wrong opinions I'm reading about Trails in the Sky

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Huh, alright, I might be okay with it then

I'm like 30 hours into the first path and it's mainly just Kazuki yelling about Alisa as we chase her around the globe

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Renzo wrote: »
    what are these aggressively wrong opinions I'm reading about Trails in the Sky

It's pretty subpar, tbh.

Also the romance was super creepy. Though Estelle is pretty great when she's not indulging in the super creepy romance.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I'm not sure if Super Robot Wars attack animations will ever get old. I love how over the top they are.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hows Bravely Second compared to Bravely Default.

did you like BD? then you will probably like BS

did you not like BD? then do not go near BS

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Digging through some old games and... Damn, secret of evermore is actually still pretty great? There are some bullshit hit boxes but the alchemy stuff is still great and I greatly enjoy how cheesy the writing is.

SNES has some real gems.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goddamnit, you and that terrible-ass game

This discussion has been closed.