As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So my comp is finishing patching this at home.

Total re-roll on the free server.

Let's do this.

Are people still completley obsessed with Cyfars? If so I am so rolling a Rogue first to fund the money sink that is gunslinger.

Transporter on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    so Sakray is still pay to play?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And what is the difference between free and pay? I'm assuming limitations of some sort.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    @Robothero:Sakray is the test server right?

I'm not entierly sure.

@Aumni:Basically, the free server is classic iRO.

The pay servers have exp bonus shit.

That's about it.

Transporter on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys should just go play Ragnarok Battle Offline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfZnyzQ44IU

Here is a link to that has links the English patch and downloads:
    http://www.onrpg.com/boards/42150.html

It's really fun Even if you haven't played iRO. Is kinda a pain to get installed though.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, Ragnarok Battle offline is fun as hell. It's just a side scroller beatem up with huge combos

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My main complain for Ragnarok Battle Offline is no damn PAUSE button.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aaah, Ragnarok Online. I remember this. Cute visuals, nice music, but really no reason to play it. Every time you levelled up, it's like you took one step up into a stairway, and then you look up, and the stairway seems to go on forever, way beyond what you can see. You take some binoculars and look into them, and the stairway still goes on forever, but on one of the step, you can barely read "Next level".

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, I have a question.

How long have the free servers been out, and were there transfers allowed to them?

Because if it seriously is a complete re-roll server, this might actually be worth it.

I mean, shit, reset economy and everything?

Fuckin sold.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah Sakray was the test server. I liked it because it was always the lowest pop of all the iRO servers.

If PA gets something going I'd consider playing again mega casually

Unknown User on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    I'm downloading at the moment, butt I'm not sure if I want to go punch hunter or a new class. There's certainly no way I'm ever doing Acolyte/Priest again.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd probably just go Blacksmith again and pass out my info to everyone playing to set up a store for us.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The free server was added very recently, like a month or two ago.

IIRC, the free server has reduced drop rates and experience, but it might not be so bad when renewal comes out. In that expansion, they're giving the UI a bit of an overhaul, adding basic things like a quest log and such, and they're adding a system that forces you to fight monsters of near your level, while altering the stats of just about every monster in the game so such an idea is feasible.

I'll ask my friend who's still playing for more info, if you guys like. Getting straight info out of the iRO website is just as impossible as it ever was :P

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kainy wrote: »

IIRC, the free server has reduced drop rates and experience, but it might not be so bad when renewal comes out. In that expansion, they're giving the UI a bit of an overhaul, adding basic things like a quest log and such, and they're adding a system that forces you to fight monsters of near your level, while altering the stats of just about every monster in the game so such an idea is feasible.

I'll ask my friend who's still playing for more info, if you guys like. Getting straight info out of the iRO website is just as impossible as it ever was :P

No no no! The "Free server" is called Valkyrie, and is open to free players and pay-players alike. The free players have the reduced EXP (100% exp, NORMAL exp)... while the pay players get 25% BONUS exp. There are just a couple of reduced drops, like specific cards, and reduced "safe limits" on upgrading weapons and armor.

From what I can tell, you can't play free on Chaos or Loki, so the Free server was basically a fresh start a couple months back. Pay players could transfer to it, though, from Chaos/Loki, for a premium of $30... but I'm not sure if they remained pay-players or had the option to play free on their already made characters

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Kainy wrote: »

No no no! The "Free server" is called Valkyrie, and is open to free players and pay-players alike. The free players have the reduced EXP (100% exp, NORMAL exp)... while the pay players get 25% BONUS exp. There are just a couple of reduced drops, like specific cards, and reduced "safe limits" on upgrading weapons and armor.

From what I can tell, you can't play free on Chaos or Loki, so the Free server was basically a fresh start a couple months back. Pay players could transfer to it, though, from Chaos/Loki, for a premium of $30... but I'm not sure if they remained pay-players or had the option to play free on their already made characters

This is what I wanted to hear.

I will singlehandedly(With Robothero) dominate the Cyfars market with the rogue I will be making.

Six hours from now.

Goddammit work.

Transporter on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Other things about Valkyrie, the Free Server:

I hear there's no Heal Card and no Teleport Card. Removed as what people suspect is "anti-bot" measures. Also why people think they made Fly Wings cost 250z.

Teleport Kafra only in Prontera and ??? (I forget).

Also, in 2 days (I'd guess about 10 hours playtime) I hit level 40 novice. There's a new years event with easy mobs spawning that give a LOT of xp. And that ends today. So 40-45 is going to be pure tears.

Also, Djeim, that's EVERY MMO. I don't care the arguement; all MMOs are grinding.

Also, also NEW PLAYER GUIDE:
    Make character. Log in. Talk to NPC you log into twice. Level Up.

Walk east into catle. Talk to NPC, type user name, choose to enter training grounds (default option).

[label a] walk up, talk to NPC. spam enter. Level Up.

walk left one map. talk to NPC at left desk. spam enter. default pick monsters. spam enter. quit conversation. Level Up.

talk to NPC at right desk. spam enter. load new map.

talk to NPC. pick "I was tougher enemies!" (2nd option). load new map.

attack thief bug. die. yes. die. load map.

move right one map. back to [label a] NPC.

talk to guy next to that NPC. spam enter. Level Up.

talk to kafra on right. spam enter. Job Up.

talk to girl above kafra. spam enter. Level up

[i forget if room to right has any free items/levels from npcs.]

go to room to left. talk to NPC at right desk. Level Up. Load Map.

[start label b]
    now you should be in training grounds, around level 7, job 6. you should have a full set of novice equips (egg shell hat, novice guard, main gauche, adv suit, hood, and shoes), as well as some fly wings, some butterfly wings, and 401 novice potions

perferably talk to NPC and pick tough map and grind thief bugs to whatever.
    [end label b]

go north, talk to guy on left, get a job description.

talk to top NPC, take test. spam enter for swordman job, or answer what you want for other jobs. more free stuff. that's it. you get 5 kafra storage passes, 1 kafra teleport pass, and job related stuff

sooooo... if you want 401 pots, 5 kafra storage, 1 kafra teleport pass. do that stuff, do label b to get job 7 to access storage, and stuff it into storage, and delete character.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    teleport card was really useful even when you werent botting :(

Especially when you were trying to get to that map southwest of prontera and the damn Rockers are spawned in the hundreds at the zone out.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah. also, there's text spammers in pront. about 20 texts a second.

but you now have two chat windows. the default window and a "battle window" that has options to click on/off certain chats. I turned off normal chat and item pickups in that window, and I'm fine.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Also, Djeim, that's EVERY MMO. I don't care the arguement; all MMOs are grinding.

But many of them are nowhere as bad as this one, and nowhere as "JUST grinding" as this. RO is essentially a pretty progress quest on prozac.
    And I'm talking about the 3X xp private server I was on.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lets all go to the lobby,
    Lets all go to the lobby,
    Lets all go to the looooobby,
    AND NOT MAKE MENTION OF PRIVATE SERVERS DO NOT MAKE ME SAY IT AGAIN

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    honestly I thought the gameplay and graphics entertained me enough to ignore the grind for the most part.

Except when my merchant was job 35 and I had 2 more job levels to get all the stuff I needed because OH GOD SO LONG.

Transporter do you think I should go actual blacksmith, like all of the smithing stuff, or battlesmith/merchbot

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have no memory of cyfars other than what they look like, but I think they're also a mat requirement for the ninja quest.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    honestly I thought the gameplay and graphics entertained me enough to ignore the grind for the most part.

Except when my merchant was job 35 and I had 2 more job levels to get all the stuff I needed because OH GOD SO LONG.

Transporter do you think I should go actual blacksmith, like all of the smithing stuff, or battlesmith/merchbot

Leveling a pure blacksmith (then whitesmith) actually with the ability to craft (with appropriate stats) SUCKS.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

But many of them are nowhere as bad as this one, and nowhere as "JUST grinding" as this. RO is essentially a pretty progress quest on prozac.
    My opinion that I'm too stubborn to change is that the traditional MMOs are all end up as "JUST grinding" no matter how much content and variation they put into it to pretend that it's not.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

My opinion that I'm too stubborn to change is that the traditional MMOs are all end up as "JUST grinding" no matter how much content and variation they put into it to pretend that it's not.

I feel that when there's enough visual and stats change in-between the levels, or from level to level, it makes the grinding less apparent. Also, when there's not just ONE optimal way to level up, or when the game has strong PvP, it makes me feel less like the game is "just" grinding.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I feel that when there's enough visual and stats change in-between the levels, or from level to level, it makes the grinding less apparent. Also, when there's not just ONE optimal way to level up, or when the game has strong PvP, it makes me feel less like the game is "just" grinding.
    I understand your point of view. I still see them all as a grind, so I go for what's appealing to me at the moment (which is RO).

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thread title should include "no jam" somewhere in it... for those that remember.

I dunno, I played it too back in beta, and enjoyed it then. I figure if you're going to go for a Korean MMO grindfest, you may as well do the one that basically started it all.

edit:

That Ragnarok Battle Offline looks fun. RPG leveling?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Thread title should include "no jam" somewhere in it... for those that remember.

I dunno, I played it too back in beta, and enjoyed it then. I figure if you're going to go for a Korean MMO grindfest, you may as well do the one that basically started it all.

jajajajajajajajajaja

kuy ba

For some reason I'm not able to log in. I can select the Valkyrie server, but then it kicks me off. Not sure if this is just server load or if I have something on my end.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh yeah! And I clearly remember them censoring the word "closer".

I wonder if it has anything to do with wanting to fuck people like an animal.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    STUPD KS JAMMERS

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i thai kuy nub no jam zny plz

i thai yu gib? no ks 555 kuy nub

no jam stop jam

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't consider myself a racist, but I do want to exterminate the Thais solely because of RO.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's terrible how games will do that to you isn't it?

Shadowbane made me despise the CN (Chinese Nation). They would PK you in a heart beat. Course... so would everyone else now that I think about it. I loved being a thief with insane running speed in that game... people would chase you to the ends of the earth.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was the Scout Advocate in shadowbane. I ran really fast.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Shadowbane sounds like not-RO, so it sounds like craaaaaaaaaaaap.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    man i dont even understand half of these classes anymore

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Still can't log in. Not sure what's going on here.

A duck! on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »

edit:

That Ragnarok Battle Offline looks fun. RPG leveling?

Although I don't understand it, and I played well into Beta...

Fix'd?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jammers were dudes who ran up and stole a mob you were about to attack (or just started attacking)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Jammers were dudes who ran up and stole a mob you were about to attack (or just started attacking)

Back in my day, those were called killstealers.

Jammers? What the hell?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.