Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

kf1kf1 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
*This OP gratefully stolen from JamSessionEin*
Warhammer 40k is a futuristic tabletop strategy game created by GamesWorkshop, it pits several races and factions against each other for control of the galaxy. The wiki article can be found here.
wikipedia wrote:
Setting
The Warhammer 40,000 game world is most readily characterized as a gothic science-fantasy setting. The central and most popular elements of the Warhammer 40,000 universe are the Space Marines, anachronistic combinations of sci-fi super-soldiers and fantasy knights and the finest warriors of the Imperium of Mankind, a dystopian and degenerate galaxy-spanning empire.

The physical setting of this story is the Materium, with all action here in the Milky Way Galaxy. Much of this is controlled by The Imperium of Man, though it is not the only galactic power. Other races include the Orks, a greenskinned trollike race, and the Eldar, the former rulers of a great empire. A dynamic, galaxy-spanning story line is possible because of a separate plane of existence, the Immaterium or "Warp." The Warp is described as a realm of thought, where desires and emotions can take physical form, and with currents and eddies that make traveling vast interstellar distances difficult, yet possible. As this is a realm of thought, a coalescence yields an often sinister warp entity. The strongest of these entities are the Chaos Gods, Khorne (a god of rage, bloodshed, and war), Nurgle (a god of despair, decay and pestilitic disease), Tzeentch (a god of change, deception, scheming, Sorcery, and, oddly enough, hope) and Slaanesh (a god of pleasure, pain, depravity, pride and decadence).

The Gods of Chaos are the result of the strongest impulses in the living souls of the universe's inhabitants. Their cults have a dynamic and antagonistic relationship. Khorne opposes Slaanesh, while Nurgle opposes Tzeentch. Nurgle is the personification of powerlessness, Tzeentch personifies power, Khorne personifies duty and rage, and Slaanesh personifies the epicurean or the sensual. These four powers are not the only entities in the Warp, but they are the greatest and most powerful. It is said, in the background to Warhammer 40,000, that the nature of the Warp is beyond human comprehension and is truly unknowable.
The aim of every person who plays Warhammer 40,000 is to pit their force of miniatures against other players across war-torn futuristic battlefields. Win or lose, all battles are entertaining challenges in which you try to out-think and out-play your opponent, taking advantage of what good luck comes your way, but ultimately relying upon sound tactics to win the day.

To start down the road of enjoying this exciting game and hobby, you'll need a few things! First, and most importantly, you'll need an army. Next, you'll need to find an opponent – either a friend that lives right down the street or someone you've bumped into once or twice at your local Hobby Center. However, before any of this can take place, you'll need to get your hands on the rules.

If you are just starting out with Warhammer 40,000, the best place to learn the rules is with The Battle for Macragge Boxed Set. It contains all of the basic rules you need to get started playing Warhammer 40,000 and several beginner scenarios pitting the mighty Space Marines against the vicious Tyranid horde. You will also get Space Marine and Tyranid models to use in the scenarios, as well as terrain, dice, and templates.

Once you're familiar with how Warhammer 40,000 works, you'll want to get your hands on the rulebook. It contains the complete rules for the game, including the basic mechanics included in the Battle for Macragge, as well as advanced rules and missions not included in the boxed set.

The rulebook is also full of flavorful background material that gives you the history and other information about the grim universe of the 41st millennium. Lastly, the rulebook contains a hobby and gaming guide that shows you how to paint and play with your miniatures as you delve into your new hobby.

Main races:

csm_02.gif
Chaos Space Marines - The Betrayers - At the very birth of the Imperium of Man, fully half of the Emperor's most trusted Space Marine Legions turned against him in a bitter civil war. Brother fought brother, and Mankind stood upon the very brink of extinction. Ten thousand years after their defeat, those same traitors still launch their Black Crusades out of the Eye of Terror, their black hearts intent upon nothing less than the utter destruction of the Imperium and the death of its weakling Emperor.

sm_10.gif
Deamonhunters - The Malleus - The Imperium of Man is beset on all quarters by enemies bent on its destruction. Traitors, heretics, and aliens pound on the multi-layered defenses of Humanity. However, there are some threats that standard Imperial forces, including the mighty Space Marines, are incapable of facing. The Inquisition was created to face exactly these threats.

de_01.gif
Dark Eldar - The Lost- The Dark Eldar inhabit a realm called Commorragh, a place as darkly twisted as its rulers, from which these pirates launch raids across the length and breadth of the galaxy. The purpose of these raids is not to conquer planets or protect territory but to cause mayhem, steal, pillage, and – most importantly of all – capture new victims to be taken back to Commorragh for endless torture.

eldar_00.gif
Eldar - The Dying - The Eldar are an incredibly ancient race who once ruled a vast empire across the stars. Then came the hideous time of the Fall, when the Eldar were consumed by their own decadence to the brink of extinction. The few who survived were scattered across the stars. Though the Eldar are few in number, they continue to be one of the most technologically advanced races in the galaxy. This advantage is combined with the prescient abilities of their Farseers, who scry the future and guide their kin along the most favorable paths of fate.

ig_00.gif
Imperial Guard - The Dutiful - In the midst of genetically engineered super-beings, alien killing machines, warrior mystics, and technology that approaches sorcery in its sophistication, the Imperial Guard are mere soldiers. Clad in a flak jacket and carrying a lasgun, they have to contend with the most terrifying threats, relying on numbers, massed firepower and a bayonet with some guts behind it. As such it is easy to identify with these brave souls and to see in them the qualities of true heroes. Also: tanks tank lol

necron.gif
Necrons - The Ancient - The Necrons, an alien race ancient beyond imagining, are awakening from their 60-million-year dormancy to plague the living once more. Thousands of immortal, soulless warriors have risen from dusty stasis-tombs, their cold wills bent on harvesting the teeming species of the galaxy. Their miraculous technology was far in advance of any contemporary equivalent long before the Eldar, reckoned the oldest among races, had begun their existence.

ork.gif
Orks - The Beast - Orks are the most widespread and warlike race of aliens in the bloodstained galaxy of the 41st millennium. From the depths of the galactic core to the distant ghost-stars beyond the rim, burgeoning Ork empires rise and fall. In terms of sheer numbers and planets, Orks occupy more of the galaxy than any other single race, and if they ever unified, they would soon crush all opposition. However, the Orks' passion for violence is so unquenchable that they spend most of their time warring against themselves.

sm_02.gif
Space Marines - The Loyal - Space Marines are the most powerful and dreaded of all the human warriors in the galaxy. They are not human at all, but superhuman, having been made superior, in all respects, to a normal man by a harsh regime of genetic modification, psycho-conditioning and rigorous training. Being few in number compared to the uncounted billions of humanity, Space Marines are organized into small independent armies called Chapters. Their unswerving loyalty is to the Emperor of Mankind, their Chapter second, and no other.

tau.gif
Tau Empire - The Young - Since their first contact with the Imperium in the 35th millennium, the Tau have risen from a hunter-gatherer society to a star-faring race in less than six thousand years. Absolutely obedient to the command of the enigmatic ethereal caste, the Tau believe that now is their time. It is their race and their Empire that will bring unity to all. There is no foe their technology cannot overcome, no quandary their science cannot resolve, the stars and all that lie between to be joined beneath the aegis of the Greater Good.

tyranid.gif
Tyranids - The Hungry - The Tyranids are without doubt the most alien race encountered by Humanity. They have been likened to a galactic swarm of locusts, remorselessly hungry and too numerous to stop. Tyranids are a nomadic, space-dwelling race that has migrated from beyond our galaxy in search of new resources to consume. Under the direction of the Hive Mind, Tyranid Hive Fleets have bored into our space. These Fleets have discovered sustenance in abundance in the forms of the Imperium of Man and the other species of the Milky Way galaxy. Tyranids continue their endless advance, seeking planets to strip of bio-mass before moving on, leaving nothing but a ball of scoured rock in the wake of their titanic swarms. What's worse, no one seems able to halt, let alone reverse, the Tyranid tide.

sister.gif
Witchhunters - The Faithful - The darkness within the Imperium is a sinister and subtle threat. The heretic, mutant, and rogue psyker pose a great danger to Humanity and threaten it with an internal rot that can be far more damaging than alien invasion. Answering this threat is the Ordo Hereticus, the Order of the Inquisition devoted to hunting down and eliminating these particular threats. Known as the Witch Hunters, these Inquisitors command the might of the Imperium – especially the Adepta Sororitas – in their hunt for the witch, the mutant, the heretic, and the fallen cleric. No one is above the cleansing fire of the Witch Hunters.

Where can I buy this stuff online?
http://www.games-workshop.com/ - The main site. Not the cheapest place to get minis, but if you can't find it anywhere else...

http://www.forgeworld.com/ - Beautiful resin models to add spiff to any army. The place to go if you love your hobby, but hate your wallet.

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk - Consistent discounts, extra discounts on 5+ 'army bundles', free international shipping, great selection. Used as #1 seller by myself and several other users.

http://www.chaosorc.com - Good discounts (particularly on large items), cheap shipping. patchy selection but carries lots of older products and non-GW stuff. Some items aren't clearly labeled differently from older versions, but they're a good alternative on specific items.

http://thewarstore.com/ - Excellent selection, good discounts, good service. 20% off normal prices, 25% off orders of $400 (adjusted price) or more. $3.95 shipping flat rate (free on certain orders I believe.)

http://www.bartertown.com/ - The place to go when looking for like-minded people with models for trade and sale. I just picked up a Forgeworld Warhound Titan for half-off from someone who needed to raise cash for a ring.

Other places of Note:
http://www.warseer.com - Currently about the biggest GW-related forum on the net.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/ - Space Marines, and high fashion (not really)

http://www.the-waaagh.com - Orks orks orks orks! Jobs a gud'un boss.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/ - They used to be cool. Kinda fallen on hard times.

http://www.the-warforge.com - Ein's modelling and converting site. Totally slipped this into the OP because I could.

And because you need a way to cart all your wonderful new toys around, here are a couple recommendations beyond what you can get from GW:

Sabol Army Transports A little expensive, but I use them exclusively, because of the quite reasonable international shipping price, and mostly for the fact that you can custom cut the foam trays to fit your models. Also available from the War Store, and BattleWagon Bits.

Figures in Comfort A wide range of precut foam trays, and carrying cases for whatever your needs.

EDIT: timspork with the thread name.

kf1 on

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First? How about Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First!

Edit: Damn it!

Asmodai_00 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Title: Needs more Stompin'!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    F' YEAH my title got chosen!

Alternate title, Warhammer 40k: You're rolling HOW MANY lasgun shots?

Need to get some pictures up on the first page! here we go, pics from the Apoc game I took my Dark Angel 4th company to.
    Apoc2.jpg
    Apoc3.jpg
    Apoc4.jpg
    Apoc5.jpg
    Apoc6.jpg
    Apoc7.jpg
    Apoc8.jpg
    Apoc9.jpg
    Apoc10.jpg
    Apoc11.jpg
    Apoc12.jpg
    Apoc13.jpg
    Apoc14.jpg
    Apoc15.jpg
    Apoc16.jpg
    Apoc17.jpg
    Apoc18.jpg
    Apoc19.jpg
    Apoc20.jpg
    Apoc21.jpg
    Apoc22.jpg
    Apoc23.jpg
    Apoc24.jpg
    Apoc25.jpg
    Apoc26.jpg
    Apoc27.jpg
    Apoc28.jpg
    Apoc29.jpg
    Apoc30.jpg
    Apoc31.jpg
    Apoc32.jpg
    Apoc33.jpg
    Apoc34.jpg
    Apoc35.jpg

All the Dark Angel space marines on foot are mine. I had no vehicles. The DA Thunderhawk, Land raiders, Terminators, and dreadnoughts belong to other players.

My favorites from the bunch,

Apoc10.jpg
    Hero shot of my Commadn squad standing proudly under their company banner.

Apoc12.jpg
    Enemy tanks looking threatingly at half my company. 3rd squad SGT Fareal was heard to say, "I think we are going to need more guns."

Apoc32.jpg
    Beserker trying to get the bunker door open. It took him about 3 turns to open it, at which point the guardsmen inside simply turned arround and blew him away.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh Tim my buddy mike gave me his terrain from the Battle of Macragge set, so I'll start bringing that along as well. It'll be nice to use terrain that hasn't been beat to shit :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    SJ wrote: »
    Oh Tim my buddy mike gave me his terrain from the Battle of Macragge set, so I'll start bringing that along as well. It'll be nice to use terrain that hasn't been beat to shit :P

I got that stuff too. You want me to start bringing it? I'm not to sure how a battlefield with two crashed Aquilas will look on it.

I'd bring my buildings, but they are a bitch to transport.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I got that stuff too. You want me to start bringing it? I'm not to sure how a battlefield with two crashed Aquilas will look on it.

Well, it would probably look like the Imperium got caught with their pants down. Again :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Well, it would probably look like the Imperium got caught with their pants down. Again :P

Sounds good to me. I should bring my Arvus Lighter to use as an objective. It would then look like a blown up airfield.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yay, new thread.

Nice pics too!

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Man i wish i had finished my LRC back when i was actually still playing. Now thats its falling apart i will probly just ebay one if I ever get back in.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Man i wish i had finished my LRC back when i was actually still playing. Now thats its falling apart i will probly just ebay one if I ever get back in.

Do you still have it? Would you be interesting in parting with it?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This thread needs more pics

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, I got something in the post this weekend. Yes I know it's like wednesday already, i'm lazy/busy/mostlyjustlazy.
    Anyway, I open it up and I find an excellent (and totally unexpected, my santee was meant to be fibretip) gift from Mr. Technicality! My pictures apparently suck so I hope you took some better ones, because this guy is awesome and you can't really see it. Pics ahoy:
    grot1.jpg
    grot2.jpg
    grot3.jpg

It's a little difficult to make out in my gloomy pictures, but this little oil grot has a cigar and some really cool goggles! He's probably going to work on my battlewagon, where he can be put to good use lugging fuel around.

Also, a note:
    Orky_note.jpg
    Thanks again, this dude was really cool!

Also, while I had my camera out, I took pictures of what was on my desk at the time:
    orky_wip.jpg
    Some WIP pirate orks. Not very exciting, but he has a peg leg so that must be worth something!

banshee_wip.jpg
    Howling Banshee WIP. Most of the grey will end up white, but her hair is going to be black.

eldar_wip.jpg
    Colour tests for my eldar. The guy on the right will be the scheme for my guardian jet bike riders. The guy on the left will be my dire avengers. Their plumes will probably be a similar shade of blue as the banshee's sword. Also I have 6 avengers and a bunch of spare guardians, so the guardians will probabl end up bulking the avengers up to a full unit of 10. Promotions!

Ok, these pictures are terrible, i'll bust out some more light and hopefully take some better ones at some stage soon.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Maybe THIS thread will be the one where I start posting pictures of my newly converted Orks regularly...

Stranger things have happened.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Echo on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Too elegant looking to be orky, though it'd make one hell of a defiler.

Ein on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Or a brass scorpion.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the legs are a bit too uniform. Brass Scorpion was my second choice. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Technicality gives awesome gifts. I'd rate him 'A+++ would receive presents from again.'
    kf1 wrote: »
    *This OP gratefully stolen from JamSessionEin*
    Who copied it from me, nyaah.8-)

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    After attending Arcanacon recently, I've been drawn back into 40k. I need to come up with an awesome theme for my army.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »

The Chaos within me must possess 3 of those. For conversion purposes. Thankfully, it does not have acsess to my wallet.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dayspring wrote: »
    My pictures apparently suck so I hope you took some better ones, because this guy is awesome and you can't really see it.

I did take one good one of it before posting:
    santa03.jpg
    Any excuse to make something quick, fun and different is good enough for me. Glad you liked it :D

While I'm at it.. The sad tale of the one that got lost in the warp (the interesting bit of what I sent to fibretip).

santa01.jpgsanta02.jpg

Its a bit wacky I know, but if you don't get to convert a model that only just stands up when sending to someone who only paints, when do you?

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    oh if only i was a sculptor. then I might be able to make something decent looking for the green stuff.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So. What future releases in 40K literature (ie codexes) do we know of?

EddieDean on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    EddieDean wrote: »
    So. What future releases in 40K literature (ie codexes) do we know of?

Space Marines, More Marines, Those other Marines and Bad Marines. I think they might try to fit in Dark Eldar somewhere in there.
    I joke
    Or do I

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ah the wonders of guardsmen beating a hive tyrant in close combat.

What it happened!

Anyway, just saying hi and stuff, I play Eldar and occasionally chaos, but I'm planning to build up a DIY marine chapter (just for fun).

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    Redbeard09Redbeard09 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Long time lurker. I've seen half a dozen iterations of the thread. Thought I'd contribute something.

Painted these almost a year ago. They need some touch up but overall I'm happy with how they came out for being my first time painting.

IMG_5279.jpg

Redbeard09 on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    blue dot.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Redbeard09 wrote: »
    Long time lurker. I've seen half a dozen iterations of the thread. Thought I'd contribute something.

Painted these almost a year ago. They need some touch up but overall I'm happy with how they came out for being my first time painting.

IMG_5279.jpg

Thats pretty funny, the first time I painted that same marine, I got the eyes all lopsided too. Thats when I started using toothpicks to do eyes.

alqadim on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    santa01.jpg

That conversion is awesome.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Toothpicks for eyes is an awesome tip, thanks for that.

Accualt on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What I do is black out the entire eye, then paint a dot of grey on each side.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    drhazard wrote: »
    What I do is black out the entire eye, then paint a dot of grey on each side.

I do something similar with an ultra fine brush. I usually paint the eye black, do a dot of white or either side of the eye, then a dot of black in the middle again (otherwise it looks like the model has cat eyes).

The end result usually ends up looking like this:
    DSC01143.jpg

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Could make a badass looking IG tank. Maybe a basilisk, if you mounted the huge cannon on the back instead of the turret it's designed with.

see317 on
  • Options
    SanfordSanford Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    More Spawn!
    DSCF1423.jpg

DSCF1421.jpg

DSCF1428.jpg

DSCF1418.jpg

ALTOGETHER NOW!
    DSCF1429.jpg

Three and a half to go, and I'm done with spawn for good.

Sanford on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm curious what that 'slime' on the last one is, it looks great.

Ein on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm curious what that 'slime' on the last one is, it looks great.
    Looks like citadel purple ink to me, unless you mean a different one?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I mean the slimey webbing on this one.

DSCF1418.jpg

Ein on
  • Options
    SanfordSanford Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's this stuff - I don't know if you have it in the US but I'm sure you can get something similar:

bk00529.jpg

It takes ages to dry but goes tacky really, really fast. I just kind of globbed it on all over in big blobs, then as it started to very slowly drip down, I scooped it up on the end of an orc spear and pulled it all over to get the strands. It looks in places like I poked holes in it, but it was just touching two or three strands together and pulling them in a new direction.

I've tried this with different glue before but it always ends up looking droopy and runny, like wax or something. This gave the nice stretched, tight effect I was after. Afterwards, thinned down green wash all over and then unthinned red wash in patches. 24 hours to dry, though.

It's actually all coming off again because I got overexcited about the glue idea, thought "I'll just give it a try on one claw" then was so pleased with it I did the whole thing before I'd finished painting the bugger.

More pics if you're interested:
    DSCF1417.jpg

DSCF1415.jpg

DSCF1416.jpg

Sanford on
This discussion has been closed.