Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You should make a Flash animation of all those pieces splitting apart and moving into position....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If only I knew Flash, or had Flash :P

The original picture had all of the pieces colored differently so you could see them all seperate in the 'before' shot

Also, though it fills up a lot more of the table, remember that all of those wouldn't have to be big LOS-blocking buildings or whatever, you could easily make many of them low hills/piles of rubble/whatever area terrain

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Good work as always, Technicality. Is your snow a baking-soda paste?

Also, your fluff sounds like using Iron Hands as your rule basis would fit, but I dunno if you want to go that far from the Ultramarines.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    drhazard wrote: »
    Good work as always, Technicality. Is your snow a baking-soda paste?

Also, your fluff sounds like using Iron Hands as your rule basis would fit, but I dunno if you want to go that far from the Ultramarines.

Its actually GW snow (impulse buy from a long long time ago). They do rip you off a bit though, so I think I'll start experimenting with alternatives when it runs out.

As far as rules go at the moment I generally go with 'purity above all' (as it fits, and more importantly I have a nice apothecary model) and 'have faith in suspicion'. When my army gets a bit bigger 'Scions of Mars' might be tempting though, to allow me to build a big scary techmarine grand master.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a tub of the GW snow but haven't tried it out yet. Do you just mix it up with some PVA and water?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Woo! Huge number of stormtroopers have been got!(?) Thanks Jam! With the ones I just received and the ones I had before I now have 4 full squads of IG Stormtroopers and enough spare special weapons to equip some command squads. I should be ready for when they bring out the plastic stuff.

Also got the new FW commissar. Holy crap is he awesome. I'll take pictures one I get him painted.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I have a tub of the GW snow but haven't tried it out yet. Do you just mix it up with some PVA and water?

I do this:
    -Build up the base first with rocks, sand, putty etc.
    -Spray black
    -Paint snowy bits white
    -Paint white bits with PVA
    -Coat with the GW snow

I'm not a fan of mixing basing materials up with glue, because I find them a pain to apply. All I want is the the fluffy finish it gives anyway, and from what I've read the mixing approach gives a less fluffy look.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Woo! Huge number of stormtroopers have been got!(?) Thanks Jam! With the ones I just received and the ones I had before I now have 4 full squads of IG Stormtroopers and enough spare special weapons to equip some command squads. I should be ready for when they bring out the plastic stuff.

Also got the new FW commissar. Holy crap is he awesome. I'll take pictures one I get him painted.

Great to hear they made it - hopefully intact?

Good luck with them. They're really nice models, but I just never used them with my Daemonhunters because the Grey Knights ran circles around them.

Ein on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Great to hear they made it - hopefully intact?

Good luck with them. They're really nice models, but I just never used them with my Daemonhunters because the Grey Knights ran circles around them.

Perfect condition. I'm going to strip the primed ones as soon as I find some nail polish remover. That Commissar I also just got is going to be assigned to the Stormies since they share the love of the Gas mask. Also he fits in with my officer drawing his pistol.

I just found the damn padded envelopes so I'll get you those Kroot parts asap.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SanfordSanford Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got a box of Ork Boyz, and it says on the box there are ten, but you can clearly build eleven with the bits inside. With the addition of a set of legs from an Orc chariot, I built twelve. And then with the riding legs from the Orc sprue (and a few other bits), I built this.
    DSCF1453.jpg

Is this usual, to get this many extra bits? In the past I have always found that vital pieces (generally torsos and legs) are missing to stop you building extra models.

In other news, MORE SPAWN!
    DSCF1459.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

DSCF1463.jpg

Sanford on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dayspring wrote: »

I do this:
    -Build up the base first with rocks, sand, putty etc.
    -Spray black
    -Paint snowy bits white
    -Paint white bits with PVA
    -Coat with the GW snow

I'm not a fan of mixing basing materials up with glue, because I find them a pain to apply. All I want is the the fluffy finish it gives anyway, and from what I've read the mixing approach gives a less fluffy look.

I just stuck some down and it looks pretty good. I was assuming it needed some eldritch recipe to get it looking right, heh.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dear Penthouse... er I mean 40k thread. (That's right Jam. Two can play at that game :P)

I want to put a hellhound into my IG list, but my problem is that I hate the GW model.
    My options are to A) Buy the kick-ass Forgeworld Hellhound at $75. B) Convert a chimera kit to look like the FW version at whatever the cost of a Chimera is and some bits.

Problem is that my conversion skill sucks worse than a dehydrated camel sucks water.

Opinions?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Dear Penthouse... er I mean 40k thread. (That's right Jam. Two can play at that game :P)

I want to put a hellhound into my IG list, but my problem is that I hate the GW model.
    My options are to A) Buy the kick-ass Forgeworld Hellhound at $75. B) Convert a chimera kit to look like the FW version at whatever the cost of a Chimera is and some bits.

Problem is that my conversion skill sucks worse than a dehydrated camel sucks water.

Opinions?

I can sell you a bassie chassis (chimera, basically) and some fuel tanky bits that would probably do it.

Ein on
  • Options
    SanfordSanford Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My friend bought himself a Tyranid battleforce at the weekend, after fifteen years of veeery sloooowly building a Dark Angel army. He decided to test out his colour scheme... on the Carnifex.

First Tyranid he's ever painted:
    DSCF1469.jpg

Sanford on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Opinions?

I can sell you a bassie chassis (chimera, basically) and some fuel tanky bits that would probably do it.

What do the tanky bits look like? I think I saw a Hellhound conversion using some Platformer Chemical plant bits.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, it'd be that stuff. I have parts from the Imex Platformer Chemical kit. Can get a pretty sizable tank.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, it'd be that stuff. I have parts from the Imex Platformer Chemical kit. Can get a pretty sizable tank.

So one of the larger tanks from that would fill up the back of a basilisk? If that's the case, I'll just grab a chemical plant kit and a cheap Chimera. I've been eyeing the Chem plant as terrain for a while now.

SJ, How much was the Chem plant at your store?

*edit* Unless I could get the Bassilisk from you for cheaper than a new Chimera, Jam :P

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sanford wrote: »
    My friend bought himself a Tyranid battleforce at the weekend, after fifteen years of veeery sloooowly building a Dark Angel army. He decided to test out his colour scheme... on the Carnifex.

DSCF1469.jpg

That looks fucking sweet.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    God damn these models are hot,
    gal_large_militia_4.jpg

At about $28 US for 10 that's cheaper than the comparable metal GW squads. Plus they come with seperate heads, so you can mix in some GW heads.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I'm thinking

This,
    gal_large_militia_4.jpg
    Plus this,
    SHS-SOTR3%20BRITISH%20GASK%20MASKS(edited).JPG
    Equals some awesome WW1 style Imperial Guard.

Opinions?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    gal_large_militia_4.jpg

At about $28 US for 10 that's cheaper than the comparable metal GW squads. Plus they come with seperate heads, so you can mix in some GW heads.

The Death Korps are some of the sweetest models of any game I've seen. It's almost enough for me to pick some up and paint them.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay i've been trying to add a picture into this darned thing for about 15 minutes, so i'm just gonna post a link. I painted up an Inquisitor and retinue for my daemonhunters army. i don't get much feedback on my painting besides my brother since i don't really game in stores so any would definitely be appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/andr1231/Minis/photo#5163282069620925122

You can't link directly from picasaweb galleries. I suggest making a photobucket (or equivalent) account for hosting miniature pictures.

Philodox on
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Philodox wrote: »
    snip

The Death Korps are some of the sweetest models of any game I've seen. It's almost enough for me to pick some up and paint them.

Those aren't Death Korps. They are Kolony Milita from Pig Iron Productions. Way fucking cheaper than FW's Death Korps, but fully compatable with GW stuff.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    lol woops, well I guess that proves your point :)

Philodox on
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, thanks mate never would have known. Kinda new to this whole forum thing. Anyway, here is my Inquisitor and Retinue:
    minis034.jpg

Again, feedback appreciated.

Mr. Jingles on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Here's a bit more from my dread, I guess.

lootdread59.jpg

lootdread60.jpg

lootdread61.jpg

lootdread62.jpg

My lighting is terrible, but you get the idea. I'm just base coating it between classes for the most part - I'm going to add bands of checkers across the broad red surfaces similar to what I did on my old battlewagon. It's hard to get a nice, even coat of red on the thing while keeping the recesses inked, too. The red is pretty bright in the photos, but I think it's just about right in person - the gloss is changing the hue a little bit.

The metal parts are pretty dark - I'm going to drybrush them a bit brighter silver before I move on to anything serious with them.

Ein on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Goddamn, Ein, that's awesome. I am swollen with envy. And also lust.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

So one of the larger tanks from that would fill up the back of a basilisk? If that's the case, I'll just grab a chemical plant kit and a cheap Chimera. I've been eyeing the Chem plant as terrain for a while now.

SJ, How much was the Chem plant at your store?

*edit* Unless I could get the Bassilisk from you for cheaper than a new Chimera, Jam :P

I think the Chem plant's like 30, maybe 35? Probably 30 though.

SJ on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright 40k thread, I turn to you for advice.

After the inspiring event of ARCANACON 2008, which I attended as a spectator, I have decided to enter in '09. Guard are my army of choice and I want to do an army that really stands out, in hopes of winning either Best Guard army, or another of those insignificant prizes.

So, I need a theme and a damn good one to that allows for plenty of character, but works with the troops I already have. Initial ideas are as follows.

A Desert theme: Lots of dust, sunglasses and light vehicles kicking up the dust. A kind of yellow/tan colour scheme.

A Jungle theme: Not Catachans, but Cadians, with a striking Camo pattern. No tanks.

A Rag-Tag theme: Either a resistance movement, or the remnants of a failed drop invasion. Multiple different regiments/units banded together. Lots of dirt and battle damage, a variety of colour schemes by unit or by individual. Lots of baggage/supplies

A Commissariat theme: My current favourite. The garrison of a Scholera Progentium world. All the Officers are Commissars, the sergeants are Commissar Cadets. Lots of Greatcoats and peaked caps. Lots of Soviet Propaganda type, imagery, give every squad a red flag with the imperial eagle on it, braid and gilt. Colour scheme scarlet and black.

As I favour the Commissariat themed one, I'll need some parts, specifically peaked caps. I know some places do separate heads, but the 2 that I know of, Pig Iron and West Wind have come up empty. Any help?

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Might be able to green stuff those caps onto bald heads if you practiced it a bit.

Seems you are most passionate about the red/black communistic one--you should go with that.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It seems like the most interesting one, and will look reasonably uniform, but with added awesome. greenstuffing the caps should be ok, but for that I need bald heads. I'll have to dig through my bits box and see what I can find.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I dug up a thread that suggested some LoTR or High Elf elven heads could be useful, albeit possibly after having the hair trimmed a bit. You coulfd greenstuff the caps on, or I understand that there's a nice peaked cap in the Forge World Cadian upgrade pack, if you can get them.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SJ wrote: »
    Sanford wrote: »

DSCF1469.jpg

That looks fucking sweet.

Thats awesome, but those mold lines... THEY DRIVE ME MAAAAAD! D:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    A Commissariat theme: My current favourite. The garrison of a Scholera Progentium world. All the Officers are Commissars, the sergeants are Commissar Cadets. Lots of Greatcoats and peaked caps. Lots of Soviet Propaganda type, imagery, give every squad a red flag with the imperial eagle on it, braid and gilt. Colour scheme scarlet and black.

As I favour the Commissariat themed one, I'll need some parts, specifically peaked caps. I know some places do separate heads, but the 2 that I know of, Pig Iron and West Wind have come up empty. Any help?

If you do this, get every Commissar model in existence to use as your Officers or vet Sgts. I can vouche for the awesomeness of the new FW Commissar.

For hats, the Baneblade commander head has a commissar looking hat. It it pretty simple, so you may be able to remove it from the head and make a Green Stuff mold off of it.

I'll keep my eye out for any other heads.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone have some tips for painting with white?
    I've base coated Black, then put a coat of Foundation Astronomican Grey, then tried to highlight up to white. Hard white edges with gradually thinner white. I think it looks like shit, really easy to see brush strokes. The other crappy part comes from me adding too much water, so I think I can fix it, but I'm not having these brush stroke issues with the other colors I've used.

Accualt on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    lots of thin coats. Lots, and lots. Then more. The thinner the better. White is a total nightmare, same with yellow.

J on
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When I do whites I actually paint in drizzle grey (delta very light grey) and highlight in white.. Tricks it into looking like white without all the hassle of white.

alqadim on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If I'm painting white, I never basecoat black.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've decided that I don't completly dislike the GW Hellhound. Just the barrel of the Inferno Cannon. I think I can use the rest of the hellhound kit and get by building an Inferno Cannon that more closley matches the Forgeworld model.

*EDIT* Ok screw it. I'm ripping apart the Chimera I never use and converting it into a hellhound. Re converting actually. It was originally a hellhound but I hated the model. Ofcourse now I'll have to scratch build a bunch of parts since I used the tanks on the back of my Destroyer Tank Hunter.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Philodox wrote: »
    snip

Those aren't Death Korps. They are Kolony Milita from Pig Iron Productions. Way fucking cheaper than FW's Death Korps, but fully compatable with GW stuff.

There's a project log on warseer where he seperated out the Gorgan transport Death Korps to give him just under 50 guys for £48. Works out to be about £40 if you get them alongside a Gorgan, which is cheaper than plastic cadians.

Quite how tricky that is to do I don't know though, and you'd probably want a proper squad or two just to add a bit of variety rather than having so many guys at ease...but still full platoon of Deathkorps for less than a battleforce

Tastyfish on
This discussion has been closed.