Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    SkavengerSkavenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Another choice for ridiculously small armies are pure Grey Knights, Deathwing Space Marines, and all Nurgle based Chaos.

All of those will be fairly difficult to play, but I know with Grey Knights, you can have quite a high number of points for only 20 models or less.

Skavenger on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some more finished Tau, I think I'm getting better at this 'painting' thing
    004.jpg

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Looking slick man. I think the stealth suit guy is a bit busy but looks good none the less.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    Or that nice Vallejo 72 paint set, found it for $156.82 US.

I used Vallejo very briefly and a long time ago. Can anyone compare/contrast or just give me any info on the quality, coloring, or any info I might not know comparing it to the citadel range.

Those sets are both too pricey to be throwing down that much cash for.

I know what to expect from the Citadel set, but not the Vallejo.

I swear by Vallejo. Besides a few of the Foundation paints, I don't have any Citadel paints anymore. Vallejo is great, though I would suggest trying the Citadel Foundations.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Draeven wrote: »
    Looking slick man. I think the stealth suit guy is a bit busy but looks good none the less.

Yeah, the model was painted totally red for some reason, I bought a stealth squad second hand, you see. I just thought it entertaining that a 'stealth' unit, is armed with a huge red gun.

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I bought a boatload of nobz from Sabol Designs the other day.

They arrived!

nobz_lol.jpg

I have a lot of work to do on these. They're nice, but they're not pinned, fragile as hell, and I need to tweak a bunch of things on them, so I'm probably going to break them all down to parts and start em from the ground up again.

Ein on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okie, Vallejo it is.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok guys, I need h some stylistic help now that I am drastically expanding my IG Stormtrooper force.

Once, or if, the plastic Valkyrie comes out I will be making an air cavalry army with my Stormtroopers, but what I'm not to clear on is what the color scheme of the armies vehicles will be.

I've already showed this picture in the last thread but here it is again simply because it is the best example or the force's color scheme.
    [img]http://www.fusedcreations.com/40k/timspork/Veoland 401.jpg[/img]

So what does everyone think the color of the armor and aircraft should be?

BTW the force will be designated the Veoland 401st Stormtrooper Brigade.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You could do the green of that trooper's armour, and a medium grey. More green then grey though.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    drhazard wrote: »
    Philodox wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So if I start collecting an army and decide I want to paint them with a different color scheme than normal, is that seen as "bad form" by other players?

Absolutely not. Anybody who disparages you for trying to be creative should be kicked in the teeth.

And besides, you can usually make an in-game reason for anything if you're really worried about it. Or just ask someone here, we can give ideas.

I mean, if I was facing off against, say, bright pink Marines, it'd be a little jarring... but they're not my models, I don't really have a say.

I was actually thinking of doing kind of a darkgreen celtic feel.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok guys, I need h some stylistic help now that I am drastically expanding my IG Stormtrooper force.

Once, or if, the plastic Valkyrie comes out I will be making an air cavalry army with my Stormtroopers, but what I'm not to clear on is what the color scheme of the armies vehicles will be.

I've already showed this picture in the last thread but here it is again simply because it is the best example or the force's color scheme.

Bottom of the vehicle should be a light blue, top of the vehicle should be a green/brown mix.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So if I start collecting an army and decide I want to paint them with a different color scheme than normal, is that seen as "bad form" by other players?

Absolutely not. Anybody who disparages you for trying to be creative should be kicked in the teeth.

And besides, you can usually make an in-game reason for anything if you're really worried about it. Or just ask someone here, we can give ideas.

I mean, if I was facing off against, say, bright pink Marines, it'd be a little jarring... but they're not my models, I don't really have a say.

I was actually thinking of doing kind of a darkgreen celtic feel.

For what, Marines? The forces of the Imperium are so easy make up new schemes for, because there are at least a thousand Marine chapters, millions of IG regiments, and many, many shrines for SoB.

Really, the only things I have a problem with are non-green Orks... and that's just they're not propa Orky.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    southernmagnussouthernmagnus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so I'm gonna play next weekend for the first time. How did your first time go?

I'm kinda nervous, cause some of the guys down at my FLGS have been painting for a while now- they've got a handle on things for certain. I have a feeling I'm gonna get a few chuckles for my painting, so I figured I'd show you guys and you can tell me what they're gonna point out beforehand. (Other than they're not done, I'm doing a marathon painting-asssembling sesh right now).
    2233612199_53b4a611b6_b.jpg

I've done Black Legion cause it looks cool, and it seems eas(ier). Now, I've already done my Aspiring Champion as a follower of Khorne, but would I have been limited to any deity with the Black Legion paint scheme, or is this just kinda make it up as you go?

Also, since I'm doing a Khorne icon as well, any advice for my armaments selection for my remaining 4 marines?

southernmagnus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    your marines look too clean, and we all know chaos are dirty dirty bastards. :)

the highlighting on the plumes and horns are excellent.

If you want to try to highlight some of the raised areas of the armor, you can try some 75/25 Black/grey to raise the edges out a bit.

I always had a hard time highlighting black anyways, but from my perspective they look wonderful. If these are your first time painting, and all your minis look this good, then they might be giving you some praise :)

Keep going and keep us updated on your progress.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm kinda nervous, cause some of the guys down at my FLGS have been painting for a while now- they've got a handle on things for certain. I have a feeling I'm gonna get a few chuckles for my painting,
    I can't imagine anyone actually being worth associating with who'd chuckle at someone else's paint job (unless it's da thirsty squig) Depenind on the local player types, the other people there might just be glad your army is actually painted.
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    My wife bought one of those Orc Monster Truck looking things and plans to paint it in Sonna colors, Doc.

I explained to her the orcs would still have to be green, even if the truck is a pretty rainbow of warm colors.

To which she said...
    FIESTA!
    Orks don't have to be green, but they roll more 6s when they are.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah man, if that's your first time painting your fourth or fifth squad is going to look amazing. I've never seen somebody critical of another person's paint job.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah man, if that's your first time painting your fourth or fifth squad is going to look amazing. I've never seen somebody critical of another person's paint job.

Philidox, I'm critical. To your paint jobs. So critical.
    I keed

I've been contemplating straying from the path and going either Chaos or Vanilla Marines. I want T4, 3+ and a wide vareity of choices as opposed to Eldar and their Falcon, Falcon, Falcon, 3xHarlequin, 2xAvenger fun fun lists. Ugh. Harelquins should be outlawed. Stupid GW making my Striking Scorps useless mutter mutter good old days mutter mutter.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My wife bought one of those Orc Monster Truck looking things and plans to paint it in Sonna colors, Doc.

I explained to her the orcs would still have to be green, even if the truck is a pretty rainbow of warm colors.

To which she said...
    FIESTA!

Damnit, Acc, you got bottom-paged and I didn't see this the first time.

Conflicting... emotions... must not... give in...
    WAAAGH!

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so I'm gonna play next weekend for the first time. How did your first time go?

I'm kinda nervous, cause some of the guys down at my FLGS have been painting for a while now- they've got a handle on things for certain. I have a feeling I'm gonna get a few chuckles for my painting, so I figured I'd show you guys and you can tell me what they're gonna point out beforehand. (Other than they're not done, I'm doing a marathon painting-asssembling sesh right now).

One thing that will help with how clean they look (especially the metal) is to wash the model.

This is really easy to do, take some brown ink, and water it down like crazy. 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part ink. Since you've probably not done this before, put way more water than you think you should in the mix, and try it out. If it doesn't seem to be doing anything, add more ink.

A big issue I see with people when they first start with washes is having the wash too 'heavy' (too much ink or paint in the wash). This makes the model actually look worse in the end. But by thinning it out way more that you think necessary, then adding more paint/ink to thicken it again, you should be able to avoid that.

If you need to remove the wash from the model, just dab the area with some paper towel or something. It should get sucked up. (if you didn't put too much of it on already)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've done Black Legion cause it looks cool, and it seems eas(ier). Now, I've already done my Aspiring Champion as a follower of Khorne, but would I have been limited to any deity with the Black Legion paint scheme, or is this just kinda make it up as you go?

Also, since I'm doing a Khorne icon as well, any advice for my armaments selection for my remaining 4 marines?

Black Legion is pretty much Undivided in the sense that they can have a variety of cult units, so you're not necessarily limited to Khorne. I think there's a fluff story of Abaddon's personal retinue being composed of four Marines, each a servant of a different god.

As for your paint scheme, it looks pretty good! I don't think you have any problems there. Black Legion is a relatively simple paint scheme, and can look good under the right circumstances. Sharp points out a wash could help your guys, and I'd like to go a step further and make sure you seal your models. A slight gloss varnish can do wonders for black armor. See if you can ask around at your shop for the best local supply--it's really spotty as to what you can get nearby. The only varnish I can rely on finding most times is Testors Dullcote, and that's a matte varnish.

Also, base your minis! They'll look at least ten times as well-done with a proper base.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

One thing that will help with how clean they look (especially the metal) is to wash the model.

This is really easy to do, take some brown ink, and water it down like crazy. 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part ink. Since you've probably not done this before, put way more water than you think you should in the mix, and try it out. If it doesn't seem to be doing anything, add more ink.

A big issue I see with people when they first start with washes is having the wash too 'heavy' (too much ink or paint in the wash). This makes the model actually look worse in the end. But by thinning it out way more that you think necessary, then adding more paint/ink to thicken it again, you should be able to avoid that.

If you need to remove the wash from the model, just dab the area with some paper towel or something. It should get sucked up. (if you didn't put too much of it on already)

Aye, this is what I did for my blood angels. This picture below isn't mine. I know I had pics of my models before the auction, but I can't find them now. I think mine actually looked better, but thats just me, and I have no proof.....

But this will be the outcome. You will have a worn dirty look, as opposed to your clean look. Which isn't bad btw.
    P5180007cropped3_500_SrgtSid.jpg

Oh and before I forget......
    Yeah, I am going there.....
    HelloKittyDreadnought_600we.jpg

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh god... nooooooo

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Philidox, I'm critical. To your paint jobs. So critical.
    I keed

I've been contemplating straying from the path and going either Chaos or Vanilla Marines. I want T4, 3+ and a wide vareity of choices as opposed to Eldar and their Falcon, Falcon, Falcon, 3xHarlequin, 2xAvenger fun fun lists. Ugh. Harelquins should be outlawed. Stupid GW making my Striking Scorps useless mutter mutter good old days mutter mutter.

Just FYI.. those striking scorpions infiltration abilities will be a God send when v.5 comes out ;) Then we'll see who's laughing (God)!

SJ on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One thing you definitely have to do is give those metal areas a nice black wash, really makes them look more realistic.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Aye, this is what I did for my blood angels. This picture below isn't mine. I know I had pics of my models before the auction, but I can't find them now. I think mine actually looked better, but thats just me, and I have no proof.....

But this will be the outcome. You will have a worn dirty look, as opposed to your clean look. Which isn't bad btw.
    P5180007cropped3_500_SrgtSid.jpg

Did you gloss varnish this model after? Or did you just have a little too much ink in your wash?

Personally I try to stay away from shiny, Hence me recommending to use really thinned ink. I usually cut my washes with just a little bit of actual paint. This prevents from having to do a bunch of coats of overly thinned ink, but still getting a decent colour out of the wash.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, like I said, it's not my mini. But I paint the armor the same way with ink.

If i could ever find the pics......meh.

I don't use gloss varnish on my marines because whats the point in making them dirty if you are just going to shine them up?

But how i basically did it, was GW Red spray base coat. 1 layer of blood red, then a slight chestnut ink wash to give the dirty look. Then finish up with detail work.

They came out about the same as the pic I posted above, but less shiny.

Edit: It was always better to use the GW Red spray because I only had to use 1 coat of blood red over the primer. If it was black,grey or white, I always had to use 2-3 coats to get the color I wanted.

Edit Squared: although, if I go blood angels again, they wont be pristine, but they wont be as dirty as the above pic.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    southernmagnussouthernmagnus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the positive feedback, guys- that's really cool. I'm just a bit nervous cause I want them to rock, and you're never sure how insular a particular gaming culture is until you're in it. If the replies here are any indication, then this should be, actually, pretty fun. Reading through the thread, there's so little emotional damage here, I'm wondering if I've landed on some weird parallel internet.

I'm gonna try the ink wash, for sure. Will the start-small-you-can-always-add-more-later philosophy work with ink washes or is it "get it right the first time"?

As far as the varnish, I have an old can of testors dullcote which has always worked for me, but, drhazard you're saying the glosscote is the one? Wouldn't a gloss varnish make them too 'shiny', and hence, not dirty enough? They need to be nasty f$%^ers, right? :) Has anyone used the dullcote on WH40K?

southernmagnus on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SJ wrote: »

Bottom of the vehicle should be a light blue, top of the vehicle should be a green/brown mix.

What about things like ground armor. I thinking mainly sentinels here but I'm not sure if I'll incorporate anything heavier. Kinda depends if the plastic Valkyrie can be easily converted into a Vulture.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2008
    As far as the varnish, I have an old can of testors dullcote which has always worked for me, but, drhazard you're saying the glosscote is the one? Wouldn't a gloss varnish make them too 'shiny', and hence, not dirty enough? They need to be nasty f$%^ers, right? :) Has anyone used the dullcote on WH40K?

That's the thing. I use Dullcote, too, and use it on pretty much everything. However, if I were going to do black ceramic-like armor, a gloss finish gives it a nice shine that even proper highlighting can't do alone. And believe me, just because it's shining doesn't mean it's not dirty, especially if you do an ink wash first.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Timspork, I'd suggest using the charcoal color of the boots as a base color for vehicles, and then utilize the green for an alternate color (possibly the green and a little bit of brown if you want to go for patches of camo). White could be a detail/accessory color, you seem to have used it nicely on that grenadier.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Timspork, I'd suggest using the charcoal color of the boots as a base color for vehicles, and then utilize the green for an alternate color (possibly the green and a little bit of brown if you want to go for patches of camo). White could be a detail/accessory color, you seem to have used it nicely on that grenadier.

Hmmm, that could work. I've never been good at painting cammo on vehicles though. It always looks like crap.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well don't got for patches of camo, then. :P

I suppose you can look around for two-tone tank schemes for good ideas of what parts to paint in green (I haven't done any guard tanks schemes so I got nuttin' to suggest here).

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bleh, if I need armor I'll probably just detach it from my other army. I'll just keep the stormtroopers air mobile.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

To which she said...
    FIESTA!

Damnit, Acc, you got bottom-paged and I didn't see this the first time.

Conflicting... emotions... must not... give in...
    WAAAGH!

Greatest waaagh! ever.
    She's painted some Tyranids now and they kick ass. I'm such a failure in comperison with my crappy little space marines. I've been prainting on the big old set pieces they give you in the Battle for Macragge set now and am improving...maybe. My Tau army showed up in the mail (two Crisis suits short, grrrrr) but I'm a little hesitant to start painting them do to the early results of my test space marines.
    This whole thinning out the paint thing just isn't working for me. I have shit for control if I water it down at all. Thing is some of the colors look, I don't know, chalky unless I water them down first. Would a varnish or ink wash help with that? And should the Tau be shiny varnish or gloss? I'm torn because they seem like clean alien commies but gloss on the cloth parts just wouldn't be right and I'm not tapping off those tiny details.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Paint thinning is definitely something you'll learn with practice, but I can say that I never apply paint without watering it down first now. I don't even trust the Foundation paints to do that. It shouldn't be as thin as water, though, and if you're loading up too much on your brush to have much control, you may just need to use a smaller brush.

For varnish, I usually have a matte varnish spray like Testors Dullcote spray for most of my models, and if I want gloss, I get the Gloss Varnish in a jar (like all the other GW paints). It's easier to paint on the gloss than go back over with the matte. Though, honestly, I think Tau armor does better with a matte finish anyway.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The more water you add, the far less you need to put on your brush total. It's a very key inverse relatinoship.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My Tyranids Arrived today :D I'm in the process of magnetizing my carnifex.

Philodox on
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm gonna try the ink wash, for sure. Will the start-small-you-can-always-add-more-later philosophy work with ink washes or is it "get it right the first time"?

You can ALWAYS add more. Its REALLY hard to take away.

This is why I say add way more water than you think, then adjust after you see what it does. I usually test washes on the inside of a leg or something. For you, test it on a bolter, but on the side facing the chest.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Washes tend to look the best done in several thin coats as opposed to one mega-coat. Also it's very important to let the wash completely dry between applications.

Philodox on
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

The nice thing about the current Chaos Space Marine codex, is you are not restricted in anyway as to what units you can take or the paint scheme. Painting your marines as all one scheme is fine, and they even give examples of the 4 Cult units (Zerks, TS, Plague Marines, and Noise) in Black Legion colors. Fluff be damned, do what you want with them.

You can also always assume you're warband is made up of separate squads from differing Legions coming under the command of a power and charismatic Lord. So you're "generic" CSM marines can be in Black Legion colors, you're Berzerkers in World Eater colors, and Thousand Sons in their original color schemes.

They aren't working together because they like each other, they're doing it because a bigger force under competent leadership is capable of felling larger and more well defended prey- gaining prestige, power, and most importantly the favor of the individual Gods that those squads worship.

As for the Black Legion Squad you mentioned with the Khornate Asp- you don't have to worry about ONLY giving that squad the Mark of Khorne. The Icon is all that matters. Don't feel bad at all about switching the Icon out as necessary to do so either, so in theory you should paint up each of the Icons you have been given in the box, then pinning the banner pole/icons, so you can switch them to their specific roles as you wish. This was how the book was designed to be played.

As for equipment for a Khornate themed squad of Chaos Marines, you want to give them any kind of assault weapons so they can always charge if they shoot AND fire their pistols so- Meltas, flamers, and plasma pistols are the order of the day. You may even wish to magnetize some of the arms on your marines so you can switch out the weapons. This is really true fro the Aspiring Champ so you can switch between Power Sword and Power Fist as the whim takes you.

May the God's favor you.

No-Quarter on
This discussion has been closed.