Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And actually regarding southernmagnus' Black Legion. I just picked up the new codex today. If you look at them, they are clean as fuck. I know we advocated a ink wash, but ultimately it is up to you. The clean codex black legion looked really good.

any who, I picked up a box of fire warriors and devilfish tonight. I am going to start trial painting tomorrow and try to find a scheme I want to do. I am leaning towards a urban scheme I think, but I might paint one with the vomit brown foundation to see.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    And actually regarding southernmagnus' Black Legion. I just picked up the new codex today. If you look at them, they are clean as fuck. I know we advocated a ink wash, but ultimately it is up to you. The clean codex black legion looked really good

Yeah, but the at least the metallic parts should get a wash. Not to dirty it up, but more to give it some depth.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    And actually regarding southernmagnus' Black Legion. I just picked up the new codex today. If you look at them, they are clean as fuck. I know we advocated a ink wash, but ultimately it is up to you. The clean codex black legion looked really good

Yeah, but the at least the metallic parts should get a wash. Not to dirty it up, but more to give it some depth.

If I can snag a digicam this weekend, I'll take a picture of my PiP Black Legion squad to see what you guys think of 'em so far.

SJ on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't paint minis, so I have never tried this myself, but here's a tip I heard once on sealant coats.

Sealant comes in gloss and matte/dull. Gloss is more durable, but makes everything look stupid shiny. Matte looks better, but it wears off more easily. The solution? One coat of gloss, then once that dries, one coat of matte over that.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ScroofyScroofy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was wondering what you all use as a case for your minis, be it the GW one for 50 bucks or what not. I am looking to invest in one but I haven't seen any others besides the GW one and I would rather not spend money without knowing all the options.

Scroofy on
    tpvsiguph.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sabol Army Transport is the only correct choice

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That is correct sir.

http://www.saboldesigns.net

homesabol.jpg

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't mean to flog and beat an old horse, but I really need to get this thing balanced properly(Unbalanced?).

I'm refferring, of course, to the Apoc Scenario I posted on the dead ex thread. I'm going to make another thread about it, I'd appreciate if someone would stop by and see how the revisions look, etc.

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I used to do the gloss/matte thing, but I never really noticed any particular benefit from it, and a couple of times there's been a weird interaction with too much sealant, and it turned the model white.

Sabol is my hands down favorite. The foam trays come with a 1x1cm grid cut into them, so you just cut them out to fit the models you want to put in there. Their only drawback is that they're not hard-shell cases.

Today was a bad day for the Imperium. Ein's orks just stomped all over my Space Marines, although it sure was nice of the Big Mek to use his Shokk Attack Gun to teleport himself right in front of my Lascannon Devastators.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, looks like Warseer got raided. Best to avoid there for now.

Gabe, are there going to be pictures of the battle?

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    webber wrote: »

Like we need a reason to avoid Warseer?

Asmodai_00 on
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Asmodai_00 wrote: »

Very true. But I do like to read battle reports.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Had to prime my test mini red. =/

Going to start the urban theme later today hopefully.

Just pulled the trigger on the Tau Megaforce and Vallejo Game Paint box.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No pictures, sorry. It was just ugly though. Like, turn two, six terminators went down in a row. To Ork shooting. If they weren't already dead, I'd say they never would've been able to live it down.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No pictures, sorry. It was just ugly though. Like, turn two, six terminators went down in a row. To Ork shooting. If they weren't already dead, I'd say they never would've been able to live it down.
    They'll be made fun of once they're resurrected as dreadnaughts though.

New recruits will sneak up behind them and scream "WAAAAAAGHHH!" into their audio sensors just to watch them jump.

This will result in a desperate need for replacement recruits, and a mop to clean up the remains of the previous class.

see317 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What? About the raid I mean. I like to look at the project logs there.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2008

Tiiiiiimmmmmmmm.....

Are you gonna be coming down for 40K tomorrow? We're starting our 5 week league. And you can participate!

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    They'll be made fun of once they're resurrected as dreadnaughts though.

New recruits will sneak up behind them and scream "WAAAAAAGHHH!" into their audio sensors just to watch them jump.

This will result in a desperate need for replacement recruits, and a mop to clean up the remains of the previous class.
    I laughed so hard I threw up.
    Although I've been miserably sick all weekend, so that's not really that surprising.
    If the Warseer raid is what I think it was, about once a month or so for a while some twat pops up and does stupid things. One time it was posting autopsy pictures in as many threads as he could manage before being banned, another was excerpts from having sex with dolphins. Uber lame stuff.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    RE: The case question

I do custom cases for my miniatures. That is to say, I buy one of those 5 dollar drawers at wal-mart, the plastic ones with three small shelves. Then I buy a 5 dollar (at most) pack of foam, usually in the craft department. Then I cut the foam to size, cut holes for minis/vehicles, and get on with my life. It's not super pretty but it's functional, cheap, and organized, and it protects just the same as one of the hundred dollar cases.

I'm too lazy to go take a picture of the actual drawer but here's what I'm talking about except without the foam.

2006-02-23_G3_08559_dremel-storage_460x.jpg

Alethiometer on
  • Options
    TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    RE: The case question

I do custom cases for my miniatures. That is to say, I buy one of those 5 dollar drawers at wal-mart, the plastic ones with three small shelves. Then I buy a 5 dollar (at most) pack of foam, usually in the craft department. Then I cut the foam to size, cut holes for minis/vehicles, and get on with my life. It's not super pretty but it's functional, cheap, and organized, and it protects just the same as one of the hundred dollar cases.

I'm too lazy to go take a picture of the actual drawer but here's what I'm talking about except without the foam.

2006-02-23_G3_08559_dremel-storage_460x.jpg

I... I'm in love with the "How to make terrain" book right next to all the materials.

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Wow. Separate boxes for different base types? I'd just have thrown them in one box labeled "Bases". :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I suppose it depends on how many you have. I just keep all my bases in a big 'ol bag, although those little bases keep popping up all over the place.
    Also, this, I want. If only I wasn't sure this thing was going to end up north of 500 dollars.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I suppose it depends on how many you have. I just keep all my bases in a big 'ol bag, although those little bases keep popping up all over the place.
    Also, this, I want. If only I wasn't sure this thing was going to end up north of 500 dollars.

But don't you already have a warhound? O_o

Also.. People who neatly label and compartmentalise everything scare me. What happens when you run out of 40mm's and the 25mm's are both overflowing?

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Seems clean now, to my disappointment. I kinda wanted to laugh at them.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm still reeling from the time that I got goatse'd after clicking on a thread titled "EYE OF CHAOS, NEXT YEAR'S GW CAMPAIGN!"

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm still reeling from the time that I got goatse'd after clicking on a thread titled "EYE OF CHAOS, NEXT YEAR'S GW CAMPAIGN!"

I remember that. Less amusing was the "REAVER TITAN NEW PLASTIC PICS!" and it was a picture of a accident victim with a 2-by-4 through his skull. That sandwich I was eating didn't get finished after that. I hate those fucking people.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    heh.

I would never do that of course, but man, thats funny shit there. But i am twisted like that. There has only been one thing on the net to gross me out. That serb militant getting his head sawed off, it wasn't the graphic portion, but the sound that went along. No sound and I am fine, but turn the volume up and I get nauseous.

Just wait, the next 40k topic you open might be a 2girl1cup fiasco....

Anyways, back on topic. I was working on a gun drone today. Finished everything except for the high detail work. I only picked up 4 colors while waiting on the paint set to get in.

I did pick up the tau foundation color, so I might try one firewarrior in that default tau scheme.

I really think I am settled in on the Sa'cea sept though. I like the urban theme.

edit: i just had a epiphany, well not really. Got the idea from a Tau forum I think. But you can use a .005 marker to get in those armor grooves on tau armor if you fuck it up

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, you know there's always the (mostly) Warhammer 40k 4chan board, if you're feeling masochistic.

Then again it is (hopefully) the only place for Necron/Sisters of Battle fan doujin.

Edit: Something found from there, though I don't know where they got it from. Just thought I should share. It is safe for viewing, just spoilered for size.
    1201936576670.jpg

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

But don't you already have a warhound? O_o
    >.>
    <.<
    Yes, but mine is a Wolf Class Pattern, and that's a Mars Alpha Pattern. Totally not the same thing at all, and can you ever really have too many Warhounds?

Don't answer that.
    Also.. People who neatly label and compartmentalise everything scare me. What happens when you run out of 40mm's and the 25mm's are both overflowing?
    Sharpie!
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Edit: Something found from there, though I don't know where they got it from. Just thought I should share. It is safe for viewing, just spoilered for size.
    I think I first posted that picture two threads ago. I might've used it in a motivational poster. That's an Inquisitor scale SM painting an Epic SM, FYI.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    heh.

I would never do that of course, but man, thats funny shit there. But i am twisted like that. There has only been one thing on the net to gross me out. That serb militant getting his head sawed off, it wasn't the graphic portion, but the sound that went along. No sound and I am fine, but turn the volume up and I get nauseous.

Just wait, the next 40k topic you open might be a 2girl1cup fiasco....

Anyways, back on topic. I was working on a gun drone today. Finished everything except for the high detail work. I only picked up 4 colors while waiting on the paint set to get in.

I did pick up the tau foundation color, so I might try one firewarrior in that default tau scheme.

I really think I am settled in on the Sa'cea sept though. I like the urban theme.

edit: i just had a epiphany, well not really. Got the idea from a Tau forum I think. But you can use a .005 marker to get in those armor grooves on tau armor if you fuck it up

Quick tip on the foundation line- thin your paint! It'll come out looking stellar with 2 light coats of 50/50 water to paint.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's such a cool model. It would have been a larf if he was painting Niddies!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It should have been a Blood Angel painting the multi-part epic Marine Forge World made...in Death Company colours.
    Y'know, since BA are the artsy types. I don't reckon Marneus is going to be giving his guys much in the way of time off to play tabletop wargames. Though I bet he has a secret stash of them in his quarters...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SJ wrote: »

Tiiiiiimmmmmmmm.....

Are you gonna be coming down for 40K tomorrow? We're starting our 5 week league. And you can participate!

YES!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2008
    le sigh.

crappy craptastic cell phone camera....

time to see if the old broken camera still works.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dear 40k thread!

I need some stuff and I just thought I'd ask if anyone had said stuff.

If anyone has any Mega Armored Nobz parts, let me know. I am looking for as much as I can get, though my particular interests are heads and bodies. I will happily buy or trade for said parts.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dear 40k thread!

I need some stuff and I just thought I'd ask if anyone had said stuff.

If anyone has any Mega Armored Nobz parts, let me know. I am looking for as much as I can get, though my particular interests are heads and bodies. I will happily buy or trade for said parts.

They need plastic ones of those. Didn't I see someone who made some out of Tau parts?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    southernmagnussouthernmagnus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And actually regarding southernmagnus' Black Legion. I just picked up the new codex today. If you look at them, they are clean as fuck. I know we advocated a ink wash, but ultimately it is up to you. The clean codex black legion looked really good.

Yeah, they do look pretty clean in the codex. I suppose some of the depth comes from that fine detail between the armor pieces, and I don't have the brush or the skills for that just yet. On the boxart they do have some weathering on the gold parts that *does* give it some depth. I could be wrong, but it looks to me like a light, random, mithril-ish drybrush to simulate areas that are weathered.

Anyone use solvaset for decals? Just curious.
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Fluff be damned, do what you want with them.

Yeah, I'm starting to see the appeal. It now seems more important to come up with my own thing. That being said, the Plague Marines and the Cleaved from the codex look pretty fscking bad ass.

Thanks for yers post and tips, too. I know the only way I'm going to get optimal is to get beaten a couple of times, I'm just putting off the inevitable. The guys at my FLGS are ruthless, they'd beat 10 year olds and the elderly mercilessly if they could only find some that played WH40k.

My squad as of now. On to basing!
    2238315310_d7ed0e27c2_b.jpg
    2238312304_1dc7f0f1a7_b.jpg

southernmagnus on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I've been spray basing all of my models after removing and cleaning them from the sprue but before building them. I see a lot of stuff online saying to build your model, then spray them, but this to me seems bad. Wouldn't I miss a ton of areas?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    So I've been spray basing all of my models after removing and cleaning them from the sprue but before building them. I see a lot of stuff online saying to build your model, then spray them, but this to me seems bad. Wouldn't I miss a ton of areas?

Yeah. I tend to half-build my models before I spray them then go back and hit some areas with a brush and some chaos black.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I tend to primer everything on the sprue, then clip and build the legs, chest, and head. Normally painting the areas that I couldn't get to with the arms on, then once that is done, glue the arms on and go from there.

And those black legion look way better than any first time mini painter. Good job!

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.