Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've decided that I don't completly dislike the GW Hellhound. Just the barrel of the Inferno Cannon. I think I can use the rest of the hellhound kit and get by building an Inferno Cannon that more closley matches the Forgeworld model.

*EDIT* Ok screw it. I'm ripping apart the Chimera I never use and converting it into a hellhound. Re converting actually. It was originally a hellhound but I hated the model. Ofcourse now I'll have to scratch build a bunch of parts since I used the tanks on the back of my Destroyer Tank Hunter.
    Be glad you're not familiar with the old Hellhound.

If someone has Final Liberation they can just give you a screenshot.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've decided that I don't completly dislike the GW Hellhound. Just the barrel of the Inferno Cannon. I think I can use the rest of the hellhound kit and get by building an Inferno Cannon that more closley matches the Forgeworld model.

*EDIT* Ok screw it. I'm ripping apart the Chimera I never use and converting it into a hellhound. Re converting actually. It was originally a hellhound but I hated the model. Ofcourse now I'll have to scratch build a bunch of parts since I used the tanks on the back of my Destroyer Tank Hunter.
    Here's One I Made Earlier:
    imgp1251uh3.th.jpg
    Is that the sort of thing you wanted?
    Because they're really very easy; you just need four different sizes of tubing, some brass rod that's slightly smaller than the smallest tube, a bit of plastic I beam where the bars of the I are the same width as the diameter of the largest tube and some thin (easy to shape) plasticard....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    A Commissariat theme: My current favourite. The garrison of a Scholera Progentium world. All the Officers are Commissars, the sergeants are Commissar Cadets. Lots of Greatcoats and peaked caps. Lots of Soviet Propaganda type, imagery, give every squad a red flag with the imperial eagle on it, braid and gilt. Colour scheme scarlet and black.

As I favour the Commissariat themed one, I'll need some parts, specifically peaked caps. I know some places do separate heads, but the 2 that I know of, Pig Iron and West Wind have come up empty. Any help?

If you do this, get every Commissar model in existence to use as your Officers or vet Sgts. I can vouche for the awesomeness of the new FW Commissar.

For hats, the Baneblade commander head has a commissar looking hat. It it pretty simple, so you may be able to remove it from the head and make a Green Stuff mold off of it.

I'll keep my eye out for any other heads.

I do want to get every Commissar I can find. So far I have 1. 1.5 if you count a Valhallan Lt who looks the part. I was planning on using the Baneblade commander as a Commissar, though I think his hat ais the wrong shape for maging a mould of.

Thanks for looking out for heads.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Here's One I Made Earlier:
    imgp1251uh3.th.jpg
    Is that the sort of thing you wanted?
    Because they're really very easy; you just need four different sizes of tubing, some brass rod that's slightly smaller than the smallest tube, a bit of plastic I beam where the bars of the I are the same width as the diameter of the largest tube and some thin (easy to shape) plasticard....

Thanks for that. I might borrow the design.

Right now what I'm thinking of doing is modifying the hull to move the turret attachment point to the center of the vehicle. I'll then use a spare Russ turret I have to build the inferno cannon. This will give me the room to build the cannon, and will also serve to make the hellhound diffrent from the Chimera and balance out the planned elogated cannon barrel. Before you showed me your nozzle I was thinking of borrowing two nozzles off of some sentinel heavy flamers and using those.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    does anybody need imperial guard heavy weapon gun sprues? i've got 2 or 3 near complete ones missing at most one gun and one complete one. i'd be willing to trade or something.

Mr. Jingles on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    First Kroot and Vespid complete, apologies for the crapolicious quality which renders their silver eyes unseeable
    IMG_2551.jpg

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What gauge guitar wire do you guys suggest for models. I'm thinking wire for hand held guns, and wire for fuel or power lines on vehicles. I know nothing about guitar wires so any help with terminology would rock.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2008
    OK, 1st draft of the commissariat list. ARC is played at 1200 so its a bit smaller that most games.

HQ:
    Command Platoon:
    HSO, Standard, medic, 2 vets with CCWs and pistols, Iron Discipline
    Lascannon Squad
    Heavy Bolter Squad

Elites:
    10 Stormtroopers, Vet Sgt, Flamer Grenade launcher, Infiltrate.

Troops:
    Infantry Platoon 1
    JO, PW, Plasma Gun, Medic, Iron Discipline
    Infantry Squad, no upgrades

Infantry Platoon 2
    JO, 4 guardsmen, Iron Discipline
    Infantry Squad, Rocket Launcher

AF Squad 1
    Chimera, Multilaser and Heavy Bolter
    Squad with Meltagun

Fast Attack:
    Hellhound, Extra Armour

Sentinel, Lascannon, Extra Armour

Thoughts?
    My impression is that it feels small and lacking in punch. I just feel like I don't have enough Mans, and they don't have enough large guns of maimage and destruction. However, it is 1200, not 1500. I've been out of the game for quite a while (I really prefer Fantasy) so any advice is welcome.

Asher on
  • Options
    southernmagnussouthernmagnus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What gauge guitar wire do you guys suggest for models. I'm thinking wire for hand held guns, and wire for fuel or power lines on vehicles. I know nothing about guitar wires so any help with terminology would rock.

The smallest wound string commonly available (that is, one with another string wound around it, for a textured look) is a 20 gauge. Tell 'em you want to check out a 20 gauge wound G string. They go on up in size from there. Any reputable guitar store will have single strings for sale and let you look until you find the thickness you need.

southernmagnus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    OK, 1st draft of the commissariat list. ARC is played at 1200 so its a bit smaller that most games.

HQ:
    Command Platoon:
    Lascannon Squad
    Heavy Bolter Squad

Elites:

Troops:
    Infantry Platoon 1

Infantry Platoon 2

AF Squad 1
    Squad with Meltagun

Fast Attack:
    Hellhound, Extra Armour

Thoughts?
    My impression is that it feels small and lacking in punch. I just feel like I don't have enough Mans, and they don't have enough large guns of maimage and destruction. However, it is 1200, not 1500. I've been out of the game for quite a while (I really prefer Fantasy) so any advice is welcome.

My opinions? Drop the HSO and take a JO. Give him the Honorifica Imperialis. Same stats as an HSO and slightly cheaper. Better yet, leave the standard with the HQ platoon and give the Honrifica to a JO in an infantry platoon. A standard by itself should be enough to keep anything from running, and by giving the honorifica to another officer you should have two solid leadership bubbles

I think your sentinel may get cooked pretty fast. I think that they survive better if there is more than one. However it may get ignored as a threat, as it is by itself.

What will you be facing? I see two missile launchers and two lascannons so hopefully you won't see too much armor.

Don't have mo codex on me so I can't suggest anything point wise. Giving a flamer to a stormtrooper is a slight waste of his BS4 though. Especially combined with a GL.

Hope that helps.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone post the GW Intellectual Property rules.

I feel like a laugh.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »

I feel like a laugh.

I do it for the lolz

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

HQ:
    Command Platoon:
    Lascannon Squad
    Heavy Bolter Squad

Elites:

Troops:
    Infantry Platoon 1

Infantry Platoon 2

AF Squad 1
    Squad with Meltagun

Fast Attack:
    Hellhound, Extra Armour

Thoughts?

My opinions? Drop the HSO and take a JO. Give him the Honorifica Imperialis. Same stats as an HSO and slightly cheaper. Better yet, leave the standard with the HQ platoon and give the Honrifica to a JO in an infantry platoon. A standard by itself should be enough to keep anything from running, and by giving the honorifica to another officer you should have two solid leadership bubbles

I think your sentinel may get cooked pretty fast. I think that they survive better if there is more than one. However it may get ignored as a threat, as it is by itself.

What will you be facing? I see two missile launchers and two lascannons so hopefully you won't see too much armor.

Don't have mo codex on me so I can't suggest anything point wise. Giving a flamer to a stormtrooper is a slight waste of his BS4 though. Especially combined with a GL.

Hope that helps.

ARC this year had a relatively even distribution of armies. Every race was represented, 131 players in total. Not to many marine armies. There were 2 Armoured Companies though. I have 4 Lascannons in total, the AT squad and the sentinel. The sentinel is designed to be a tank hunter type of thing, mobile but packing a punch. The AT squad will bunker down somewhere are lay down fire. The Rockets are to provide those squads a bit more adaptable firepower. As for anti Infantry, I've got the Hellhound and a heavy Bolter Squad well as guardsmen in general. As for the Stormies, I'd rather give them Plasma guns or Meltas, but I'm working with the models I have at the moment.

I'll adjust the Army with the Honorifica.

Asher on
  • Options
    Bear CavalryBear Cavalry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey fellas, what do you think I should paint as my next army.
    1. Dark Angels
    2. World Eaters
    3. Ultramarines

I'm not really that great a painter yet, and school is taking up a lot of my time, so what would be best for a busy schedule? I like the look of ultramarines, but they are extremely common and there is a smurfs player at my venue anyway. So It's either fascist or cultist.

Bear Cavalry on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    SJ wrote: »

I feel like a laugh.

I do it for the lolz

I especially like the bit about tattoos. I wonder if they will actually sue someone to force him to have a tattoo removed.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dark Angels are emo and they blew up their own stupid planet.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Bear CavalryBear Cavalry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    With the new chaos codex could I still make renegade marines which joined up with Khorne?( The ones where there are red crosses on their pads and gear)

Bear Cavalry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The current Chaos Codex is all about Renegades. Thats its focus. You could do Red Corsairs very easily.

Also, for the OP. If you live in Australia, NZ or anywhere nearby, then you NEED to go to WargamerAU. It seems to be the hub for Australian Wargaming and has a fantastic Buy Swap and Sell section.

Asher on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

He speaks the truth. Dark Angels are a bunch of whiney faggot emo marines. Now Space Wolves, there's a real chapter!

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

He speaks the truth. Dark Angels are a bunch of whiney faggot emo marines. Now Space Wolves, there's a real chapter!

For Russ! For the Wolftime!!

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aaaaand a little more before I go to sleep. Base coated and worked on the choppa-wielding arm a little bit and touched up a couple spots - I still have to add the checkmarks to places in random bands on the body, the blood angels icon on one of the shoulders maybe, and some weathering and the likes.

lootdread63.jpg

lootdread64.jpg

Not much progress but I'm getting there.

Ein on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I'm not going to lie, seeing Pig Iron gas-mask heads on Imperial Guardsman Bodies is making me want to get a couple guardsmen and do a Jin-Roh themed bunch very badly.

Ein on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The current Chaos Codex is all about Renegades. Thats its focus. You could do Red Corsairs very easily.

Also, for the OP. If you live in Australia, NZ or anywhere nearby, then you NEED to go to WargamerAU. It seems to be the hub for Australian Wargaming and has a fantastic Buy Swap and Sell section.
    I'm from the UK and I lurk there anyway. There's some great stuff in the modelling diaries section.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    KrakaggarKrakaggar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Those Pig-Iron heads are amazing. Definitely different from the Cadian heads. I think it would be awesome to use Cadian bodies, pig-iron heads and Tamiya STG-44s and K-98s to make Germans that aren't quite Death Korps.

Then I can say "The Blitzkrieg stahps for NAHSSING!" D:

I also am considering the other heads. They look nice.

Krakaggar on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ElderCat wrote: »

I feel like a laugh.

I do it for the lolz

I especially like the bit about tattoos. I wonder if they will actually sue someone to force him to have a tattoo removed.

The counterfeit rules are odd since most of the items are sold online {yes I did buy one that I thought was real} How are you able to get a receipt?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

*cough* <looks at his Dark Angel Company> :cry:

I just like green.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shoulda gone with Slamanders then.

REPRESENT :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

I hope not.
    tatoo2nu0.jpg

Ok, so I have a small tournament at my local GW this weekend. It's 4 scenario based games at 200pt (combat patrol), 500, 1000 and 1700 pts. I'm bringing my Death Guard, and these are the lists I've written up.

200pt -
    7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Plasmaguns - 30

Total - 191

500pt -
    Deamon Prince - 110
    Mark of Nurgle - 20

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Plasmaguns - 30

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Flamers - 10

Total - 492

1000pt -
    Chaos Lord - 90
    Mark of Nurgle - 20
    Power Weapon - 15
    Personal Icon - 5

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Plasmaguns - 30
    Asp. Champ - 15
    Power Weapon - 10
    Icon - 5

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Flamers - 10
    Asp. Champ - 15
    Power Weapon - 10
    Icon - 5

Rhino - 35
    Extra Armour - 15
    Havoc Launcher - 15

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Meltaguns - 20
    Asp. Champ - 15
    Power Fist - 25
    Icon - 5

Rhino - 35
    Extra Armour - 15
    Havoc Launcher - 15

7 Lesser Deamons - 91
    (Plague Bearers)

Total - 999

1700pt -
    Chaos Lord - 90
    Mark of Nurgle - 20
    Deamon Weapon - 40
    Personal Icon - 5

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Plasmaguns - 30
    Asp. Champ - 15
    Power Weapon - 10
    Icon - 5

Rhino - 35
    Extra Armour - 15
    Havoc Launcher - 15

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Flamers - 10
    Asp. Champ - 15
    Power Weapon - 10
    Icon - 5

Rhino - 35
    Extra Armour - 15
    Havoc Launcher - 15

7 Plague Marines - 161
    2 Meltaguns - 20
    Asp. Champ - 15
    Power Fist - 25
    Icon - 5

Rhino - 35
    Extra Armour - 15
    Havoc Launcher - 15

7 Lesser Deamons - 91
    (Plague Bearers)

7 Lesser Deamons - 91
    (Plague Bearers)

Dreadnought - 90
    Twinlinked Lascannon - 35
    Missile Launcher - Free

Defiler - 150
    2x Extra Arms - free

7 Havoks - 105
    4 Missile Launchers - 80
    Icon of Nurgle - 50

Total - 1690

Advice?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Salamanders are awesome. I'm a big fan of the founding legions who don't get so much air-time. Iron Hands rock too.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I feel like a laugh.

I do it for the lolz

No, but they could take action against a tattoo shop that has GW IP artwork stuck to its wall amongst all the other designs they offer.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Man, I'm not going to lie, seeing Pig Iron gas-mask heads on Imperial Guardsman Bodies is making me want to get a couple guardsmen and do a Jin-Roh themed bunch very badly.

Yep, I feel the same thing. The image of gasmasked guys in city camo fighting through a block in a cityfight tickles me in all the right spots.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Yep, I feel the same thing. The image of gasmasked guys in city camo fighting through a block in a cityfight tickles me in all the right spots.

I think I'm just going to get a squad of the Milita. I like Pig Iron's whole model.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Hay look, CAD managed to stop being unfunny for a bit.
    20080206.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Shoulda gone with Slamanders then.

REPRESENT :P

hell yeah the brothas own

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is it just me or does the last panel make the nerd look like Stewie with hair, stubble and glasses?

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow a CAD that isn't utter total shite.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know we have various groups of gamers spread throughout the world.. Would any of you guys be interested in a web based campaign that would be updated and missions and points etc decided on the overall battle as battled out at various locations?? If you are interested in participating let me know the # of players, the location and the army's that you would have involved so I can try to put something together.

alqadim on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    alqadim wrote: »
    I know we have various groups of gamers spread throughout the world.. Would any of you guys be interested in a web based campaign that would be updated and missions and points etc decided on the overall battle as battled out at various locations?? If you are interested in participating let me know the # of players, the location and the army's that you would have involved so I can try to put something together.

So kind of like that Kingdoms thing for Warhammer, just for 40K. I <3 this idea

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That would inspire me to go balls to the wall and finish my dudes. I'll ask around and see who else wants to play in my area.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I totalyl would if I was involved in a gamign group around here. I stopped by our one store carrying GW stuff the other week and for the first time got confirmation that warhammer is 'sometimes' played by the local gaming populace. I only gather this from mumbly one-word responces, however.

I've only got 500 points of Nids (all painted), maybe 1000 of assembled BA successor Marines, and I'm in the process of building a full Ork army (~50 boyz, a trukk, 2 kanz, 3 kopters and a tank aquired), so I'd otherwise only have that to square off with close friends.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
This discussion has been closed.