Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My Orks won today against my friend's Eldar.

There was some very poor rolling on the Orks part. 6 attacks with the Warboss against the beefy Howling Banshee. He got 1 hit and it didn't wound. And then lost the morale roll and got swept.

The Deffdread was the hero. It took out a squad of rangers and dire avengers.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I usually assemble before painting. 99% of the time it hasn't been a problem - if you can't paint it, chances are you can't see it either!

However, there are some big exceptions to this I've learnt over the years - bike/horse riders, pilots, bits of tanks occasionally (especially Eldar ones), bits of walkers. Weirdly enough, it seems the bigger it is, the less you want to assemble.

Lezta on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    With exceptions, I generally assemble, then paint figures. Things like my space marine bike commander, who I know are going to have hard to reach places that would be visible, I did body, arms, head. Large things also are generally done better in general pieces. My Baneblade I did chassis, hull, turret, sponsons, hatches, and crew separately so I didn't have to worry about painting at awkward angles later on.

Holy crowbars, 9 days left on the auction. and that warhound is already up to $430. Well, it was nice to dream.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    So I've been spray basing all of my models after removing and cleaning them from the sprue but before building them. I see a lot of stuff online saying to build your model, then spray them, but this to me seems bad. Wouldn't I miss a ton of areas?

The problem with that is, you're going to be gluing together painted pieces. The glue ends up bonding together the paint and not the model itself, so the bonds are pretty weak.

I tend to assemble as much as I can before priming. For instance, on the new Lootas, I've assembled the legs, torso, and head as one piece, and the loota, frame, and arms as another. When I go to glue them together, I'll probably try to shave a little of the paint off the glue points (at the shoulders) so there's some direct plastic-to-plastic contact.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I also usually assemble the model then prime.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Today will be my first time playing with my complete IG army. I have no clue what I'm doing. If I start to loose I'll just have everyone fix bayonets and charge. Better to die spectacularly than win even slightly.

Wish me luck guys!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    drhazard wrote: »
    The problem with that is, you're going to be gluing together painted pieces. The glue ends up bonding together the paint and not the model itself, so the bonds are pretty weak.

I use cyanoacrylate glue. It melts the plastic together. I don't doubt its ability to eat through the paint. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scroofy wrote: »
    I was wondering what you all use as a case for your minis, be it the GW one for 50 bucks or what not. I am looking to invest in one but I haven't seen any others besides the GW one and I would rather not spend money without knowing all the options.

Another option is just buying a fishing tackle box of decent size. get some foam pad what have you and go to town filling up all those nooks and crannies in there. Its what me , erandus, rubberchrist, and Vorin use. Needless to say that I woiuld love some sabol transports but they are just too espensive.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sabol transports are massively expensive, but worth every penny, I think.

I need to find a new case, though. I have oodles of the foam laying around but my two army cases are already full. I should get a motorpool.

Though, actually, the foam is the only important part anyway, so maybe I can find a box the right size.

Ein on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I need to find a new case, though. I have oodles of the foam laying around but my two army cases are already full. I should get a motorpool.

Though, actually, the foam is the only important part anyway, so maybe I can find a box the right size.

I think I need to get a motor pool for my next case. My Basilisk won't fit in my current container.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The foam is really the important part, and pretty reasonably priced for what you get. For example, I have a couple sabol carrying cases, but I just put the foam into banker's boxes for when it's being stored.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I use the $10 hard plastic pistol cases from Walmart that look almost identical to the GW ones, only much cheaper. It has 2 sheets of egg crate foam and 1 sheet of solid foam. Use the 2 egg crate sheets separately for infantry, and cut out the solid foam for vehicles.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, it's been two months since I played a game of this. I really need to get me back to GW.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    southernMagus I just really want to say that I like the eyes on you marines

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ElderCat wrote: »
    I use the $10 hard plastic pistol cases from Walmart that look almost identical to the GW ones, only much cheaper. It has 2 sheets of egg crate foam and 1 sheet of solid foam. Use the 2 egg crate sheets separately for infantry, and cut out the solid foam for vehicles.

I use for the most part $1.99 bins from hobby lobby for infantry models, $3.99 bins from IKEA for the larger infantry models (IE Jump suits, Sentinels, Demons), and I use $1.50 tubs for my vehicles from IKEA. These all stack nicely and are labeled with their contents and fit for the most part in my two cabinets. I also use an old tool chest for all my paint and airbrushes. Each one of the $1.99 tubs has around 45 minis in each one, the larger tubs have 9 larger bases in each, and the vehicle tubs I have an average of 3 in each one except for the baneblades and monolith which take up one by themselves :) When I have to transport them to a game they all go in the big plastic bin under my desk where I can fit up to 3 full 3k armies easily, and it fits in my trunk for easy storage. I find them to be economical, easy, and convienent.

I also use a couple of tackle boxes for misc modeling supplies (IE brushes, sculpting tools, flocking materials, bits etc)

This is my main mini cabinet, I need to build some build shelves but all the shelf space I have has minis on it.
    th_DSCF9331.jpg
    Secondary Mini Cabinet and supplies [Ein check out that big orange tub ;P Thats my mega gargant body that has been staring at me to build it into one ;P ]
    th_DSCF9332.jpg
    I need to devise a better way to store this pile of sprues and boxed sets I havent gotten to yet.
    th_DSCF9333.jpg
    My Mighty Assembly/Painting and Gaming bench and desk guarded diligently by Brother Hyrlon of the Dark Angels.
    th_DSCF9330.jpg

alqadim on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »

I use cyanoacrylate glue. It melts the plastic together. I don't doubt its ability to eat through the paint. :P

Oh, I do the same. Trust me, while the bond will still be stronger than metal-on-metal with super glue, it won't be quite as strong as plastic-on-plastic cement. Your mileage may vary as far as effectiveness, of course, but you still end up with plastic melted with plastic... and some primer/paint in there that doesn't do anything to help.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use the GW big army cases.
    My vehicle heavy Ork and Eldar armies sounded pretty good at the planning stage, but there is no way i can fit all those bikes and trukks and battlewagons and wave serpents in there. I also need some kind of motor pool type case. The next army I decide to invest in will be infantry only.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a Sabol, which is really nice for general use. As said, they're a tad expensive, but they're quality.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    So I've been spray basing all of my models after removing and cleaning them from the sprue but before building them. I see a lot of stuff online saying to build your model, then spray them, but this to me seems bad. Wouldn't I miss a ton of areas?

I spray paint all of my parts when they are still attached to the sprue's usually, but sometimes I do assemble the model first and hand paint it. It gives you more control, but you won't get a coat quite as even. Depends on the model/how many I am doing. I prefer hand-painting everything for more important models, but hell if I'm going to do that with 40 Necrons.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Woo! Just got back from my game. Two actually. The store just started a 40k leuge. Two games are played each week for a total of 10 games. Each player starts with a total of 2000 points and for every win they get 100 points and for every loss they loose 100 points. At the end of the games you take the points you get and make an army for an Apoc game.
    Points values for the actual games played are decided by the players.

First game:
    My Imperial Guard Vs Black Templara. The other guy had never played his Templars before which was fine by me since I had never played my current IG list before. Game type was search and destroy Alpha level. I suck at Battle reports so bear with me. I also have no clue about Black Templars so this is what he looks like he has.

BT Army:
    Commander
    Chaplin
    Emperor's Champ
    Three Tac squads (or whatever they are)
    Two Assault Squads
    5 Terminators

6th Arcadian (Me):
    Command Platoon with Standard, Mortar and two fire support platoons of two autocannons and one Heavy Bolter each.

1 Infantry Platoon:
    Command squad with Honorifica and Mortar
    3 Squads with one Lascannon and one plasma gun each

Conscripts: 20 Conscripts

Elite:
    3 Hardened Vet squads with three plasma guns and Sgt with Bolt Pistol and Deep Strike.

Fast Attack: 2 squad of 5 Rough Riders with Lances

Heavy: 2 Leman Russes and a Basilisk

IGvBT1.jpg
    Army set up at start of game. I'm on the right.

After a lot of shooting and two turns we get to here,
    IGvBT3.jpg
    Top of turn 3 I've pretty much decimated him with only minor losses. Completely destroyed both assault squads on either flank and charged his commander with my conscripts. One unit of Rough riders charged his Terminators second turn to slow them down. They killed two before getting killed in his assault phase.

Also decimated the Tac squad at the top and took the center squad down to 3 guys. Tac squad on the bottom is still mainly intact. Also I charged the BT Commander with my conscripts, as seen here,

IGvBT2.jpg

Game proceed for more turns as I forgot to take pictures. I pump an entire fire support squad into the Termies and did nothing. The lasguns fired by the loaders killed one. :P The Termies finally make it into assault and the Fire Support squad clubbed the last two Terminators to death with their heavy weapons without taking any hits. The other Fire Support squad wasn't as lucky and got wiped out by the three tac marines and the chaplain, who then consolidated into an infantry squad. The Chappie moved toward the other Fire Support squad that pulled back after killing the termies.

In his assault phase this happened.
    IGvBT5.jpg
    That's right bitches. My conscripts killed the BT Commander in close combat.

After that, combined fire from half my fucking army including a leman russ and a bassilisk killed the chappie. My other Leman Russ took a pot shot at the Champion with a lascannon and blew him away. This left two close combats. One with the center three tac marines and one with the remains of the bottom tac squad. I sent everything into both combats. Guys in the center fell to my Honorifica wearing LT and the left tac squad to 30 some close combat attacks from my charging squads.

IGvBT6.jpg
    Here was what hit the bottom tac squad and ended the game.

IGvBT4.jpg
    Position of my forces at the end of game.

Result: Massacre! Nothing left on the table for him. I think the game would have been very different if he had remembered that the BT get that move forward thing when they get hit. I know nothing about BT so I knew nothing about that rule either.

Game Two:
    Me Vs Khorne

His army:

Lord
    Beserkers with Kharn
    Mutants?
    Raptors
    Dreadnaught
    3 Oblits
    Bunch of Termies
    Me: Same list

Game: Take and Hold at Omega. My Arvus Lighter marked the center. Backstory was that the Imperium was going to exerminatus the planet and the Arvus had the Planetary Governor on board. The IG had to secure the Arvus so it could take off. The Governor was having Tea in the back so the pilot was stuck.

IGvK1.jpg
    Pre 1st turn.

IGvK2.jpg
    SJ taking a picture of the Arvus and it's very concerned pilot.

Ok this is a summary of what happens.

Khorne: Run forward
    Me: Shoots stuff, kills some oblits, and other random guys.
    Khorne: Kharn and his pals run up to Arvus as seen here,
    IGvK3.jpg

Me: Shoots more stuff and deep strikes the Vets seen here,
    IGvK4.jpg

and here,
    IGvK5.jpg

My favorite point in the game is when the vets toast the lord when thy land and then two termies following that.

Khorne: Runs foward, some stuff get assaulted, stuff dies so on and so forth.
    Me: Kills Kharn and his buddies.
    Khorne: Raptors massacre conscripts and then sit on the objective.

Game over. He has the raptors on the Objective, an Oblit and two Mutants.
    I have a command squad, the majority of two infantry squads, a Basilisk, and a Leman Russ.

He barely wins since he has the objective.

Result: Win for him. Once he landed on the Arvus, I should have just pulled back. If I had I would have had a whole Rough Rider squad and a second command squad, giving me at least a draw due to victory points.

Overall though I won a game and lost a game. That leave me at 2000 points for the Apoc game so far. Next games will be in two weeks since next Sunday is a Fantasy tournament.

I had an awesome time though so that’s what matters to me.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He had nothing but berserkers, a single unit of raptors, 3 obliterators, kharn and a chaos lord with the raptors. Some of his berserkers looked weird though so maybe that's what you were thinking of as mutants.

SJ on
  • Options
    Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey Tim?

Your Rough Riders have to start off the Board in Escalation, buddy. :D

Good job trouncing the enemy though, you got robbed on the T&H, it looks like.

Asmodai_00 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I finally stopped dicking around and started painting, beginning with my Looted Dreadnought. It's taken me a fair bit of time, mostly because there's so many damned nooks and crannies on the model that need attention. I've basically been basecoating the thing, and I gave the body a pretty decent black ink wash to try and bring the details back out because I am fairly heavy-handed with a brush.

Sorry about the lighting, I don't have my usual equipment here at my dorm.

lootdread56.jpg

lootdread57.jpg

lootdread58.jpg

The model's a little glossy from the wash as I mixed it with that Future Acrylic Floor Wax. I actually think the gloss makes it a bit harder to paint the brighter reds on (the color 'pulls' with the brush as I paint, instead of staying where I try to put it), so I'm not certain if I should hit it with dullcote now before continuing. The arms are also being base coated right now. I've basically been using that 'Mechrite Red' foundation color on it, which is nice for a base. I'm working now on highlighting it a bit better with some brighter reds, because this is supposed to be a looted furioso, after all. Painting that little grot in the cockpit is a pain, let me tell you! I'm hoping with a finer brush and a bit of a steadier hand I might be able to pick the details out a bit better tomorrow.

I'm actually not certain it's going to be staying on this base - I've been working on a more desert-ish theme with my latest bases, and I think this might get a different one to match so I'm not painting it just yet.

Anyway, it's progressing.

Ein on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    pretty rad, dude

can orks loot dreads now or is it just an ork dread

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    thats sweet looking.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    pretty rad, dude

can orks loot dreads now or is it just an ork dread

Just an ork dreadnought. Same weapons, basically - 2x CCWs, 2x Big Shootas. Hell, a marine and orky dread even share the same armor values.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Asmodai_00 wrote: »
    Hey Tim?

Huh. Had two guys who've played way long than me tell me to put them on the table. Though both said later they have never seen IG Rough Riders in a game ever.

Didn't matter. They literally did nothing until turn 4 when they started to counter attack so It didn't effect the game in the slightest.

Still. First real win! Wooo.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ein, I love it when you paint.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey Tim?

Huh. Had two guys who've played way long than me tell me to put them on the table. Though both said later they have never seen IG Rough Riders in a game ever.

Didn't matter. They literally did nothing until turn 4 when they started to counter attack so It didn't effect the game in the slightest.

Yeah, good work. I can pick apart your opponents moves but I can barely find anything wrong with yours.

Again, this is just from what I can see.

Asmodai_00 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    looking awesome ein!
    Keep going!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey Tim?

Yeah, since they're beasts, they start in reserve. It's really no biggie since they didn't really do anything too significant anyway (at least not that I was around to see). How many points is that bassie running you, by the way? You might wanna consider a (super super cheap) armored fist squad for objective nabbing. Or replace it with sentinels/a hellhound. Actually yeah go with the sentinels/ a hellhound...

SJ on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hellhounds give the world of hurt to just about anything without a 3+ save.

It's amazing against orks and nids (The little/medium ones anyway)

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    IGvBT1.jpg

If i'd been playing as the marines, this board would have made me extremely nervous. I've never gotten an assault squad across the table against a shooty army without hiding it or putting it in cover for at least one turn, and that board is a bit on the barren side. Its at times like that you really are screwed if you didn't bring any mobile terrain along (Mmm.. rhinos).

Sounds like you played your end very well too.. I'm not surprised he got massacred.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2008
    IGvBT1.jpg

If i'd been playing as the marines, this board would have made me extremely nervous. I've never gotten an assault squad across the table against a shooty army without hiding it or putting it in cover for at least one turn, and that board is a bit on the barren side. Its at times like that you really are screwed if you didn't bring any mobile terrain along (Mmm.. rhinos).

Sounds like you played your end very well too.. I'm not surprised he got massacred.

Thanks. He actually placed the terrain. I was like, "you sure that enough?" and he said, "sure." Whatever.

First game my basic strategy was to just sit there and concentrate fire on the units that could assault me next turn. I was doing fine with the top and bottom units, (the vets actually killed the top squads in one turn of shooting. Gotta love 9 bs4 plasma guns.) The damn terminators though I couldn't scratch so I had to send out the Cavalry to slow them down.

Here's an example of how ridiculously awesome Rough Riders are. I charged the 5 RRs against the 5 termies. I get 11 attacks with 9 hits and 7 wounds. He rolls to save and I kill 2. Problem is that I forgot that the lances ignore armor saves. Ok, they had an Invulnerable save because of storm shields. Well he rolled all 2s and 3s for the armor save. That means I would have killed all his terminators flat dead on the first attack. Oh well, I wasn't going to argue it since I was already blasting away his other squads. Still 55 points of Rough Riders taking out 200 whatever points of termies...

Second game I made a lot of mistakes that could have really altered the game. The biggest one was not to consider how fast his raptors could move. I should have consecrated fire on them as soon as possible. They were what won him the game. The other was was moving one of my russes up to hit his dread when I had overwhelming fire already pointed at it, thus leaving its rear exposed tot he raptors. The last was having my other russ sit there and making it easy for the last two berserkers to stun and shake it, preventing it from trying to take the raptors down below half strength on the last turn.

Considering it was my 4th real game, I thought I did well.
    SJ wrote:
    Yeah, since they're beasts, they start in reserve. It's really no biggie since they didn't really do anything too significant anyway (at least not that I was around to see). How many points is that bassie running you, by the way? You might wanna consider a (super super cheap) armored fist squad for objective nabbing. Or replace it with sentinels/a hellhound. Actually yeah go with the sentinels/ a hellhound...

The bassie is running at 125 points. A stock Hellhound is going for 115. It would be a direct swap if I threw in a few upgrades like extra armor to keep it alive and Rough Terrain mod to let it drive through terrain.

Two Sentinels with Autocannons are going for 100 points. I see what you are saying about the Bassie. The two games it saw action it didn't really do anything to justify its points. Infact the damn thing couldn't hit an oblit in line of sight two times and the only good I can remember it doing is scattering off some marines and putting a wound on the chappie.

Downside is that I'd have to buy another Chimera and convert a hellhound since I really dislike the GW version and can't afford the FW version.

I also have to bump my list up to 2000 since that seems to be what most of the people are playing. What do you think I should add?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Oh, I do the same. Trust me, while the bond will still be stronger than metal-on-metal with super glue, it won't be quite as strong as plastic-on-plastic cement. Your mileage may vary as far as effectiveness, of course, but you still end up with plastic melted with plastic... and some primer/paint in there that doesn't do anything to help.

i was glueing using that melty plastic glue on a model the other day, and t wouldn't hold at all, i had to take paint thinner and pull off the paint where i was gluing. it strips the paint right off, and leaves the plastic figurine without a bond.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Belruel wrote: »

i was glueing using that melty plastic glue on a model the other day, and t wouldn't hold at all, i had to take paint thinner and pull off the paint where i was gluing. it strips the paint right off, and leaves the plastic figurine without a bond.

Paint thinner will also melt plastic figures :o

alqadim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Made some barbed wire this weekend as using pens, coins etc. was getting old. Its also the perfect excuse to start making terrain themed around my chapters homeworld. I made 5 sections, as I'm too lazy to make the sixth if its only used in 1/3rd of games involving fortifications.

Action shot:

wire.jpg

Spent an afternoon cutting strands out of some wire mesh I found. I have an aversion to paying for terrain when there is perfectly good junk lying around that will do. Next is minefields and tanktraps.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's a striking design, Technicality. Do you have any fluff about them available for perusal?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    That's a striking design, Technicality. Do you have any fluff about them available for perusal?

The basic synopsis is that they are the remains of an Ultramarine strike force that got lost in the warp and crashed on a planet with a heavy chaos presence, and have been just about surviving there in the remains of a ship ever since.

As a result of this isolation and environment they are all borderline chaotic, and intensely paranoid about falling. All the psykers are dead, techmarines are in charge, and they now think of the emperor and the machine spirit as the same thing.

I've not written anything down, as its mainly for my benefit than anyone elses.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    IGvBT1.jpg

It's funny how the 40k rulebook suggests about 25% of a 4'x6' table be filled with various terrain

Someone had made a picture of exactly what 25% would look like, but I can't find it so I made my own

Heres 25% of a gaming table...
    terrainclose.jpg

...and then that amount cut up and spread into terrain
    terrainspread.jpg

Frostozuna on
This discussion has been closed.