As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre Fight Debate Thread: Brackets 19 & 20

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Superman getting hit by a truck would not hurt. Why? Because getting shot by a tank doesn't hurt. Getting shot with miniguns and armour-piercing rounds doesn't hurt. Smashing through walls and huge, armoured doors doesn't hurt.

The hell? Weren't you the person who ranted for pages and pages than Zoom could destroy Nimrod with normal human punches? How exactly is that different from Superman getting worn down by getting repeatedly smashed with a truck/metal object? Beyond the fact the DC and Marvel characters are switched this time around, of course.

Yes, but see, Zoom hits things a million plus times in less than one second. There is a very very big difference between getting hit millions of times in one second and getting hit twice every second by something you can barely feel because you are so god damned tough a concrete column might as well be made of feathers because seriously it is not going to hurt you at all. Oh, and there's the fact that Nimrod is not even close to being as strong or tough as Superman, who can wrestle Asmodel, big boss of the heavenly host, to a standstill while Superman was in a weaker energy-based form.

There is also the thing about Zoom moving at near lightspeed and the fact that they were in the fucking FLASH MUSEUM with literally dozens of weapons Zoom knows how to use, not to mention the hundreds upon hundreds of other objects there that would make extremely effective projectiles and whatnot.

And there was the thing about Zoom constantly moving faster than Nimrod can even compute things at, seeing as Zoom easily moves faster than even the Flash can percieve things. And if he can create a sonic boom I'm guessing he can do the infinite mass punch thing due to comic book pseudoscience.

I ranted for pages and pages that Zoom would destroy Nimrod with a combination of moving too fucking fast for Nimrod to react and adapt to, and with the fight being in the fucking Flash museum which Zoom knows inside and out and which is FULL OF WEAPONS.

The only way Xorn is going to hurt Despero by pelting him with metal is if Despero just stands there and takes it without ever attempting to fight back in any way for an hour at the very least.

But Despero will be fighting back, and dodging the metal, and teleporting away from it, and hitting Xorn with beams of psychokinetic force that can injure even Superman, and getting closer to Xorn until he gets close enough to rip him in half and eat his corpse.
    Whoa whoa whoa. Computers can predict the location of sub atomic particles, so I don't think predicting where someone who moves really effing fast will end up would be a problem after a few quick adjustments. The physics of movement end up being a hinderance for zoom here unless of course he rewrites the laws of the universe (which a computer knows very very well)

Also for the Despero and Xorn thing it's agreed that Xorn will lose if he tries to attack Despero in anyway from the outside. The question at hand is would any internal attacks work against him.

What? No, see, Zoom is a sentient being and because of that and the fact that he cannot be percieved seeing as he moves several times faster than the speed of light make it impossible for Nimrod to predict where he will go.

You see, because Zoom does not follow a set pattern like subatomic particles do.

And yes, Zoom moves several times faster than the speed of light. He can move faster than the Flash can percieve while going at superspeed. Zoom doesn't use speed to move fast, he uses time. He screws with time so actions just take less time.

So yeah, basically he violates the basic laws of physics. So do 99% of all comic book characters ever, past, present and future.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh god, it's happening agaiiiiiiin!

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    What? No, see, Zoom is a sentient being and because of that and the fact that he cannot be percieved seeing as he moves several times faster than the speed of light make it impossible for Nimrod to predict where he will go.

You see, because Zoom does not follow a set pattern like subatomic particles do.

And yes, Zoom moves several times faster than the speed of light. He can move faster than the Flash can percieve while going at superspeed. Zoom doesn't use speed to move fast, he uses time. He screws with time so actions just take less time.

So yeah, basically he violates the basic laws of physics. So do 99% of all comic book characters ever, past, present and future.

Ok, make up your mind here. First Zoom goes the speed of light as does the Flash. Now he can apparently move several times faster than the speed of light. You keep trying to embellish the characters you favor to make them sound better than they really are.

Below is a quote from Zoom's Wikipedia page. It clearly states that he moves "near light speed." So please cut the bullshit.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    (friction, seeing and hearing at such near-light speeds, et al),

Also this here
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Yes, but see, Zoom hits things a million plus times in less than one second. There is a very very big difference between getting hit millions of times in one second and getting hit twice every second by something you can barely feel because you are so god damned tough a concrete column might as well be made of feathers because seriously it is not going to hurt you at all

Is way wrong. It does not matter how fast Zoom hits things as durable as Superman because he is still just a man with a regular level of strength. To someone like Superman it would just feel like something was constantly poking him, doing no more damage than if you or I were doing it. Making it happen more often does not make it stronger.

Marathon on
  • Options
    RantRant Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Why are people assuming Despero has iron in his blood? Considering how red blood seems to be almost unique to humans depicted in comic books, and aliens appear to have various sundry of other colors, it's more than likely that Despero doesn't use iron to bind his oxygen. Or that he even requires oxygen in his electron chain.

Rant on
    I have neither given nor received unauthorized assistance on this assignment
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Ok, make up your mind here. First Zoom goes the speed of light as does the Flash. Now he can apparently move several times faster than the speed of light. You keep trying to embellish the characters you favor to make them sound better than they really are.

Below is a quote from Zoom's Wikipedia page. It clearly states that he moves "near light speed." So please cut the bullshit.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    (friction, seeing and hearing at such near-light speeds, et al),

Also this here
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Yes, but see, Zoom hits things a million plus times in less than one second. There is a very very big difference between getting hit millions of times in one second and getting hit twice every second by something you can barely feel because you are so god damned tough a concrete column might as well be made of feathers because seriously it is not going to hurt you at all

Is way wrong. It does not matter how fast Zoom hits things as durable as Superman because he is still just a man with a regular level of strength. To someone like Superman it would just feel like something was constantly poking him, doing no more damage than if you or I were doing it. Making it happen more often does not make it stronger.

If a bird's wing brushes up against a brick wall once every year for a few billion years that wall is going to dust by the end of it.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    If a bird's wing brushes up against a brick wall once every year for a few billion years that wall is going to dust by the end of it.

But those wings will also be worn to nothing long before the wall wears out. I guess my point doesn't have much to do with the characters in question I just think the whole argument of Zoom punching a gajillion times a second is ridicilous, his fists would be worn into nubs even if he took a long time to throw enough punches to even hurt metal. Unless he he has the patience to wait for his fists to heal then punch again. Still seems like it would take a few hundred years or more. Does Zoom not age normally when he slows it down or do whatever his mojo is? Seems like since he moves normally, he probably thinks at a normal rate too, and living for a few hundred years to punch a metal robot, all alone, would be pretty boring.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It might be boring but it's still the kind of thing he does. As for the rest of your argument, comic book physics.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Spectre is a very angry man.

Constantly right, but very angry.

Not really. He's contending that basically no metal object in the DC universe can hurt the top-tier individuals of that universe. Every robot and cyborg Superman has ever fought would contend otherwise.

Nope, sorry, I am right and you are putting words into my mouth.

The robots and cyborgs Superman has fought were made of sturdier stuff than your average truck, and they also hit him with quite a bit more force than most trucks.

Trucks are mostly empty space, you see, they are largely air, and guys like Superman literally tear through trucks like normal people tear through tissue paper.

Those robots and cyborgs are much more akin to thick, laminated cardboard tubes as opposed to the loose tissue paper trucks.

Argh, all I was saying was that there were metals in existence that Xorn could use to hurt someone like Despero.

Holy hell, talk about missing the point...

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think it's just best to let arguments like this drop. There are a select few characters from the DC community that Spectre would apparently like to have sex with, and he tends to get very agitated if you say bad things about them.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Xorn can heal himself just as fast as Despero can hurt him.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think it's just best to let arguments like this drop. There are a select few characters from the DC community that Spectre would apparently like to have sex with, and he tends to get very agitated if you say bad things about them.

"Select few" here meaning all of them.

Marathon on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I know Despero is powerfull and all, but Xorn is just as powerfull and ill defined. I mean, how do you beat a man with a star for a brain? He can turn his head into a black hole.

Also, if Xorn was really Xorn, then he really DOES have a star for a mind, which means Xavier really never COULD use psionics against the guy.

august on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm not sure this Xorn really has a star for a brain.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    I'm not sure this Xorn really has a star for a brain.

Then this whole thing doesnt make any fucking sense whatsoever.

Also, all the arguing about metal in Despero is totally nonsensical because Xorn's powers are over gravity and not just magnetism.

august on
  • Options
    MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    No more will I argue "But wait, Xorn will just use the power of love and healing to defeat despero!" or "Magneto will make some sort of super-metal that's more metalic than other metals, and use it to remove Despero's sweetbreads, because those are the parts of aliens that are highest in iron." for these arguements, oh best beloved, are dumb.

Lets be honest with ourselves. We'd all like to see ultron fight despero, and Xorn's storyline is painfully, awkardly stupid. To the %@#$can with you herr-star-for-a-head.

Majidah on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We're clear in that Despero can't do shit to Ultron, though, right?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

Ultron is indestructible excepting antartic vibranium, right? What can Despero do to a robot who he can beat up?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

Ultron is indestructible excepting antartic vibranium, right? What can Despero do to a robot who he can beat up?

Scarlet Witch destroyed Ultron at one point with her hex power, since they were in essence little bolts of horribly warped reality and probability, something you cannot armor yourself against with simple metal.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

Scarlet Witch destroyed Ultron at one point with her hex power, since they were in essence little bolts of horribly warped reality and probability, something you cannot armor yourself against with simple metal.

Can Despero fire little bolts of horribly warped reality and probability?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

He is an incredibly powerful telekinetic and could reach beyond Ultron's forcefield and shell into his innards.

Also, t Marathon

FUmang.jpg

I do not defend characters simply because they are DC characters. I defend them because I believe they would win in certain fights based only on careful consideration of their powers and general behaviour.

You can go suck a cock.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

He is an incredibly powerful telekinetic and could reach beyond Ultron's forcefield and shell into his innards.

Also, t Marathon

FUmang.jpg

I do not defend characters simply because they are DC characters. I defend them because I believe they would win in certain fights based only on careful consideration of their powers and general behaviour.

You can go suck a cock.

Oh im sorry, did I offend you and your boyfriend. Please take it personally and react like a 4 year old.

Also, you're a fucking idiot. I did'nt even make the initial comment.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

Also, t Marathon

FUmang.jpg

You can go suck a cock.

Oh im sorry, did I offend you and your boyfriend. Please take it personally and react like a 4 year old.

Also, you're a fucking idiot. I did'nt even make the initial comment.

Oops! Sorry! Classic case of mistaken identity.

Ronnie, I'm talking to you instead, though Marathon is still a dumb cockhole who doesn't know a god damned thing about anything.

Also: Boyfriend? Ha! Shows what you know! I don't even have a girlfriend.

no wait shit

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spex please show me how to be a know it all asshole like you. I too wish to be tough and cool via the internet.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Xorn has a shield that despero can't get past plus a world of metal. Xorn wins.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Wait, what?

No, and Ultron will rape him.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Despero picks up Xorn by his shield and throws him into space. Despero wins.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006

It seems much more likely for Despero to get tossed.

The planet being metal laden and all.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

I find this highly unlikely.

You know, Despero being as strong as Superman and all.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys. GUYS.

Xorn can just move the planet, thus FORCING Despero out of bounds!

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spex please show me how to be a know it all asshole like you. I too wish to be tough and cool via the internet.

You have to be able to draw a superpowered character of your own design to do trash talking for you.

That's why I'm not tough or cool.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    question:

aren't Ultron and Despero on OPPOSITE SIDES of the bracket?

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hey, don't tell me to go suck a cock. I don't get why it's ok when you come up with random/obscure battle scenarios, but when somebody else does it, you immediately say "fuck you you're wrong that's impossible" if you don't like their outcome. Your bullshit isn't any more or less valid than anybody else's bullshit. So cast your vote, post your reasoning, and shut the fuck up.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Munkus

Despero can teleport

And t Ronnie:

the difference between the scenarios I come up with is that as soon as they are proven impossible, I admit it, whereas when most others come up with a scenario that is obviously impossible they completely ignore everything but their own misinformed opinions.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    the difference between the scenarios I come up with is that as soon as they are proven impossible, I admit it, whereas when most others come up with a scenario that is obviously impossible they completely ignore everything but their own misinformed opinions.

B.S. I've seen people make pleanty of valid points against the plans you come up with and every time you simply begin to insult anyone that disagrees with you, and I can't remember the last time you have admitted you were wrong with one of your scenarios.

Also, none of these ideas can be proven wrong or right. These are completely fictional fights based on the opinions of the people voting. Very rarely can a fight ever have a contestant who wins without there being some chance the other fighter could win.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You think that the points some people attempt to make are valid only because you share their incorrect views. And I rarely drop my points because people are rarely able to disprove them.

But seriously, this is getting tiresome, let's drop the issue entirely. You obviously do not enjoy this, and neither do I.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    You think that the points some people attempt to make are valid only because you share their incorrect views. And I rarely drop my points because people are rarely able to disprove them.

But seriously, this is getting tiresome, let's drop the issue entirely. You obviously do not enjoy this, and neither do I.

Do you simply not understand the fact that these fights are based on opinion and that there is really no correct or incorrect view? When I disagree with you I am not sharing some incorrect view with someone else. That would mean that your opinion is the only one that could possibly be correct. And while you may believe that, it is most certainly not the truth.

You don't rarely drop your points because they are disproven, you keep arguing and insulting those that disagree with you for the same reason as I stated above, you believe you are always right and are too much of a prick to entertain the thought that an idea other than yours might be correct.

But you're right, this has been tiresom for quite a while. Thankfully the tournament will be finished soon and there will no longer be a opportunityy for you to pass off your opinions as fact.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You don't understand, when I argue against a scenario, it is because that scenario either ignores one of the character's powers, a character's personality, or a combination of the two. Powers and a personality that these characters have been established as having. If these are ignored, the scenario is incorrect no matter what anybody believes.

And I'm willing to bet that over half of all the scenarios and opinions you attribute to me consist simply of all the words you and your pals have put in my mouth since day one.

And you can go straight to hell. I hardly ever start insulting people. In the villains tournament I believe I have only once started insulting people, and I can't even remember what fight that was. Every other time I have merely responded to abuse from you and others. However, I'm willing to change this view if you can show me in which threads I have started insulting people. If you can do this, I will gladly stop arguing with you and proclaim you the victor.

Your ridiculous assertations show that you obviously know very little about me and, in fact, try to pass of your opinion about me as fact, when you are quite clearly mistaken if you'd just pay attention to anybody but yourself and likeminded individuals.

These discussions would just remain completely civil if you would just stop putting words in my mouth and accusing me of doing things I have not done. It's quite annoying, really, and it makes you look like a huge asshole (which you are, because you put words in my mouth and accuse me of doing shit I did not do, as well as make ridiculous claims about how I feel and think).

But this is obviously not going anywhere because you're probably going to reply to this post with a couple of half-assed paragraphs where you put words in my mouth and dissect my every thought process because you are obviously an expert on how I think and act, seeing as you are not me and therefore not biased either way, right? I mean, I'm just assuming that's your reason for making ludicrous claims about how I think and what I believe, because it fits in roughly the same pattern of logic you use in the tournament, what with most of your facts being complete fabrications based only on your "opinions" as to what certain characters can, cannot and will and will not do, regardless of the fact if they are ever shown to do anything similar in any comic ever.

So, since you so insist on making this entire discussion utterly futile, by all means let's drop this.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ive seen you argue against several perfectly plausable scenarios just because they were contrary to the ideas you yourself put forth beforehand and did not ignore powers or personality.

My opinions of you are my own that I have developed after reading how you reply and talk down to the people that have disagreed with you during this tournament and the hero tournament. No one outside my own opinions and your actions have led me to believe that you are an asshole. People don't mistakenly come to conclusions like that unless you give them reason to.

The fact of the matter is that you have called people all manner of names during this and the hero tournament, and sorry but im not gonna go and dig through your post history to find proof for you. It's there I read it as well as many others did. You often, for no reason at all, will insult those that disagree with you and im not the only one that has pointed that out. I just might be more vocal about it because im tired of having you come in and take the fun out of these debates that do usually go perfectly smooth until you come in and start spouting your opinions as fact and attacking those that challenge what you think.

Call me an asshole all you want. I don't really care but im not going to back down just because you try to now play the victim after being a know it all douchebag for the entirety of this tournament and the last.

Id also like for you to point out where "most of your facts being complete fabrications based only on your "opinions" as to what certain characters can, cannot and will and will not do, regardless of the fact if they are ever shown to do anything similar in any comic ever." Please, id love an example of when I did that.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Again, when I insult people it is usually because I am insulting them back.

As for you making stuff up, I've looked for a bit, and it indeed appears to me that I have exagerrated you doing this. You still did it a couple of times, but not as often as I claimed. I sincerely apologize for that.

As for the times when you did, I direct you to the Nimrod/Zoom fight. First you claimed that Nimrod, being a supercomputer, would be able to at least percieve Zoom's movements, despite the fact that Zoom moves at "speeds" exceeding the speed of light (he doesn't actually move that fast, it just takes less time for Zoom to move from one place to the other due to the nature of his powers).

You also claimed that Zoom would not be able to hurt Nimrod with punches, and that he would brek his hands. This is also false, because according to this logic, Zoom's legs would also shatter from running for so long. Also, other super-speedy characters have often been observed hitting superhumanly durable people several thousand times in a second without injury to their hands, such as the Jay Garrick clone in the Outsiders.

But still, I apologize, I really do.

As for when I realize that I am wrong, I will direct you to the Grodd versus Bullseye fight, where I accept the fact that adamantium actually is quite heavy, something put forward by you of all people. And there's other instances where I admitted that I was wrong, also.

When I talk down on people it is, again, because they seem to completely ignore certain aspects of one or more characters. That doesn't mean I think any less of them. Munkus is a prime example of this. Look, in this thread he completely ignores the fact that Despero has teleportation abilities and that it would do Xorn no good to imprison him in a mountain of metal. I still like Munkus. He just says some dumb things sometimes. Everybody does. Even I say dumb things.

And I don;t attack people for challenging my opinions. I inform them rather bluntly that I believe that they are incorrect, and give several reasons as to why I think this. Being blunt is not attacking.

But yes, I admit that I am at fault here often. It's just that you, much like myself, exagerrate the times when I am at fault, as well as the reasons why I am at fault.

Spectre-x on