Options

[DnD 4E PbP] Scales of War Part 1: Rescue at Rivenroar-(OOC thread)

• Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jesus, whats up with longtooth shifters with Ash as a first name? I just randomly picked it and made a story around the name.

Could have something to do with the longtooth shifter in the PHB2 page 17 being called Ash (yay google). I also notice that the Razerclaw shifter druid on the same page is called summer.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jesus, whats up with longtooth shifters with Ash as a first name? I just randomly picked it and made a story around the name.

Could have something to do with the longtooth shifter in the PHB2 page 17 being called Ash (yay google). I also notice that the Razerclaw shifter druid on the same page is called summer.

Yeah, the players handbook say that their names are normally Ash, Summer, Rose, Moon, ect. But its funny that we have two longtooth shifters with Ash as a first name. I thought I randomly picked my name. :P

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a really interesting idea for a Minotaur Barbarian and when I was reading other character descriptions to get an idea of how they're formatted noticed 3clipse has been planning to make one since the start.

Bah!

Edit: Depending on if he ends up making an entry soon I might put it up, I really like the character.

Kelor on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Keldyn Sosoda - Human Illusionist Wizard.

Sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1180

Picture: http://soxbox.no-ip.org/random_crap/illusion.jpg

Background:
    Keldyn is the eighth son of a minor merchant family of Denovar. Largely ignored by his father, Keldyn squirrelled himself away in the family library, dedicating himself to study. As he came of age, Keldyn was granted an apprenticeship with a powerful illusionist. Keldyn was an extremely dedicated and promising student.

Keldyn found himself awakening in his master's study, naked, clutching his master's orb. Everything around him destroyed and dark voices whispering in his head. His fellow apprentice was slumped at the foot of the stairs, drooling mindlessly.

The voices in his head built to a cresendo, screaming to him to run. He grabbed what he could and fled.

Keldyn had no memory of the last week before he left, and no idea what had happened other than occasional flashes of inintelligible dark text and a figure draped in shadow. Keldyn has been on the move for six months now, getting by with occasional work as an entertainer with minor illusions. Whenever he feels he is ready to settle somewhere, the voices build in his head again and urge him to move on. Most recently leaving Prosser, the voices urge him further away to Brindol.

Keldyn is constantly distracted, lost in his own internal conflicts. While he can be extremely charming, more often that not his charm is interrupted as he drops out of conversation to argue with his voices.

Keldyn is 5'6, with long greasy black hair and pale skin. His once rich clothes have become worn from his time on the road, and he now covers them up with a worn leather jerkin that he took from a brigand that tried to stop him on the road.

Note: The voices are just a roleplaying hook - The character believes the voices are real, and if at some point it aids the story for that to be the case, I'm happy for the voices to just be the effect of whatever trauma he experienced.

I'm new to pbp, but I've read through most of the currently running pbp games here, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of what's required of me. I'm not in any other online games - I'm currently playing through kots in a RL game - that's the only 4e play experience I've had, but I used to play a little bit of 2nd ed in the day.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    soxbox wrote: »

Background:
    Keldyn is the eighth son of a minor merchant family of Denovar. Largely ignored by his father, Keldyn squirrelled himself away in the family library, dedicating himself to study. As he came of age, Keldyn was granted an apprenticeship with a powerful illusionist. Keldyn was an extremely dedicated and promising student.

Keldyn found himself awakening in his master's study, naked, clutching his master's orb. Everything around him destroyed and dark voices whispering in his head. His fellow apprentice was slumped at the foot of the stairs, drooling mindlessly.

The voices in his head built to a cresendo, screaming to him to run. He grabbed what he could and fled.

Keldyn had no memory of the last week before he left, and no idea what had happened other than occasional flashes of inintelligible dark text and a figure draped in shadow. Keldyn has been on the move for six months now, getting by with occasional work as an entertainer with minor illusions. Whenever he feels he is ready to settle somewhere, the voices build in his head again and urge him to move on. Most recently leaving Prosser, the voices urge him further away to Brindol.

Keldyn is constantly distracted, lost in his own internal conflicts. While he can be extremely charming, more often that not his charm is interrupted as he drops out of conversation to argue with his voices.

Keldyn is 5'6, with long greasy black hair and pale skin. His once rich clothes have become worn from his time on the road, and he now covers them up with a worn leather jerkin that he took from a brigand that tried to stop him on the road.

Note: The voices are just a roleplaying hook - The character believes the voices are real, and if at some point it aids the story for that to be the case, I'm happy for the voices to just be the effect of whatever trauma he experienced.

I'm new to pbp, but I've read through most of the currently running pbp games here, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of what's required of me. I'm not in any other online games - I'm currently playing through kots in a RL game - that's the only 4e play experience I've had, but I used to play a little bit of 2nd ed in the day.

Your sheet has the brew potion ritual as one of the 3 you know but I believe it's a 5th level ritual not a 1st level ritual.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Background:

Your sheet has the brew potion ritual as one of the 3 you know but I believe it's a 5th level ritual not a 1st level ritual.

Actually, in the CB, Brew Potion is a 1st level ritual as stated in the PHB1 pg 301.

And while I'm at it, isn't Ash Summer (samurai6966's char) supposed to have 35hp; 15+ highest ability score (20 STR in this case), since you used the Birth Under a Bad Omen/Sign background (Benefit: You substitute your highest ability score for Constitution to determine your initial hit points.)

EDIT: Also updating my OP whenever a new question is asked about the game/campaign (it's under the FAQ section), and I'll also post the current listings every few days or so. That way you guys can easily read through certain parts of the thread.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Actually, in the CB, Brew Potion is a 1st level ritual as stated in the PHB1 pg 301.

Yeah, but there's no use taking it, as there's no level 1 potions. Have switched that out.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Background:

I spent about 15 minutes re-reading that page trying to find where it said it was lvl 1 before I realised they'd posted errata for it. :)

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm probably going to put up a striker tonight. Never fear!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Edited my submission- now with a picture (though the sheet has the physical appearance in it) and a hook for why he's in Bristol.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    Jabberwock7206Jabberwock7206 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, seeing as how you guys only have 1 Leader and 1 Striker so far...I figure I'll try Striker out, since I don't play them. At all. Ever! :)

I have DMed a teensy bit of 4th edition, but I'm more of a v3.5 junkie who's returned to the D&D scene after licking his wounds. I'm comfortable with PbP- I did it back in the days of v3.5...but how it'll work in 4e I have no idea! I've just joined these forums, but...this post came up in a Google Search, and I consider myself blessed that I found it within the deadline.

I present to you...Col de Rah- a Razorclaw Shifter Avenger, devoted to the Raven Queen! The specifics (the background, mannerisms, etc) are not completely finished, but I'm just posting this here in curiosity as to whether or not it's in a favorable format. Do you want me to actually write the abilities out on the character sheet, or is it cool if I just post the page references?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=156610

If there's anything else, just let me know!

Jabberwock7206 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mornlok Fieldstrider, Minotaur Barbarian.

Sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1182 (I dicked around with a Thaneborn build but couldn't settle on one I really liked)

Portrait Kinda:
    Mornlok.jpg
    Think this but with more leather. I like the idea of a Mordencrad on a chain though.

Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Mornlok Fieldstrider, level 1
    Minotaur, Barbarian
    Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
    Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 11
    HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +7, Athletics +8, Acrobatics +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana -1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Intimidate +1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion -1, Stealth +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Mordenkrad)

POWERS
    Barbarian at-will 1: Recuperating Strike
    Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
    Barbarian encounter 1: Vault the Fallen
    Barbarian daily 1: Bloodhunt Rage

ITEMS
    Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Earth-Wrought Hammer Mordenkrad +1
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Background:
    Mornlok's tribe was eradicated by a large detachment of the local Lord's soldiers when they began preying on a minor but important trading post in the highlands, the noncombatants and young sold as slaves and curiosities for the rich to replace the losses of the merchants. Mornlok was eventually bought by a renowned but aging dwarf warrior, Duncan Brewbeard. Duncan wished to pass his craft, skills and knowledge to one more student before becoming too old to do so again.

To Duncan's delight, Mornlok excelled under his tutelage and progressed to be a combatant of prodigious talent. The young minotaur's powerful physical heritage, a certain degree of natural aptitude and instruction on modern warfare forged him into a force to be reckoned with, one that Duncan began to test out in the gladiatorial ring. An upset victory in his second season at the ring prompted one of the piqued owners to have Duncan assassinated.

As he had been unreleased from servitude to Duncan, Mornlok was bid for by another owner, one far less tolerant and while not cruel, unconcerned with the welfare of his slaves. Seven bloody years later Mornlok was three years undefeated champion and won both minor fame and his freedom. Using his winnings he commissioned a dwarven smith to forge a replica of his first master's weapon of choice and set off to explore his newly found freedom.

His natural size and race's reputation combined with most outsider's preconceptions means that he often receives harsher treatment that is deserved, which he accepts in stride. While not jaded with the outside world, years of blood shed and the loss of his tribe has left him wary of strangers and he does not make friends or trust others easily, while keeping in mind there may be others worthy of friendship like his teacher. He is often found with charcoal and a large sheaf of parchment in hand crafting elaborate designs.

His feet have eventually led him to Brindol, after being given advice that the people and towns in the Vale are more tolerant of the unusual than most in the realm.

Appearance:
    Towering above all but the tallest of Goliaths, Mornlok is an imposing figure. His size is the first thing anyone notices about him, followed by the fact he is a minotaur and "Good lord, what manner of mace is that?"

Clad in thick leather hide, some self carved wooden charms of intricate design woven into his hair Mornlok threatening appearance is accompanied by a gruff but fairly affable demeanor. His years in the arena have turned his body into corded muscle with surprisingly few scars.

Kelor on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, seeing as how you guys only have 1 Leader and 1 Striker so far...I figure I'll try Striker out, since I don't play them. At all. Ever! :)

I have DMed a teensy bit of 4th edition, but I'm more of a v3.5 junkie who's returned to the D&D scene after licking his wounds. I'm comfortable with PbP- I did it back in the days of v3.5...but how it'll work in 4e I have no idea! I've just joined these forums, but...this post came up in a Google Search, and I consider myself blessed that I found it within the deadline.

I present to you...Col de Rah- a Razorclaw Shifter Avenger, devoted to the Raven Queen! The specifics (the background, mannerisms, etc) are not completely finished, but I'm just posting this here in curiosity as to whether or not it's in a favorable format. Do you want me to actually write the abilities out on the character sheet, or is it cool if I just post the page references?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=156610

If there's anything else, just let me know!

It's an overall decent addition to the submissions.

It's better to write out the powers than posting the source book pages; it makes it easier for the DM and the other players to view the power instead of looking through the books (especially when your powers are from different source books and some players may not have the specific source book). Also posting a CB- Summary is useful.

As for experience, I used to DM 4th ED last year. I'm new to the PbP format (I got a character for playing here) especially when DMing one online. I viewed many of the IC/OOC posts here to get a decent understanding as how to run the game.

As for background details to your char, you can find all the details on the OP (start of this thread) on what you need (hint: a pic is useful when I make your tokens). I even posted a link to a player's guide that gives some nice details about Elsir Vale and the original RHOD campaign.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Jabberwock7206Jabberwock7206 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/jabberwock7206/?action=view&current=TheWarriorWithin.jpg

Just in case the character picture on my character sheet isn't working (and I don't feel that I'm doing it right...)- there's the link to the picture. Not exactly a Razorclaw in his full glory, but...I'm not a Google magician :P It was the best I could do! I tried to flesh out the back story to something easier, so the sheet has overall been twinked a little bit. I'll get working on the powers right now!

EDIT: Finished adding in the powers. Switched main weapon to a khopesh- longswords are too common!

Jabberwock7206 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    >.< Leave it to my newbishness to screw up that you have to have a god of matching alignment. Fix'd.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Mornlok Fieldstrider, Minotaur Barbarian.

Sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1182 (I dicked around with a Thaneborn build but couldn't settle on one I really liked)

Portrait Kinda:
    Mornlok.jpg
    Think this but with more leather. I like the idea of a Mordencrad on a chain though.

Summary:
    Mornlok Fieldstrider, level 1
    Minotaur, Barbarian
    Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 19, Con 17, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 17, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 10
    HP: 32 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +7, Athletics +8, Acrobatics +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Intimidate, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Mordenkrad)

POWERS
    Barbarian at-will 1: Recuperating Strike

ITEMS
    Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Earth-Wrought Hammer Mordenkrad +1

Background:
    Mornlok's tribe was eradicated by a large detachment of the local Lord's soldiers when they began preying on a minor but important trading post in the highlands, the noncombatants and young sold as slaves and curiosities for the rich to replace the losses of the merchants. Mornlok was eventually bought by a renowned but aging dwarf warrior, Duncan Brewbeard. Duncan wished to pass his craft, skills and knowledge to one more student before becoming too old to do so again.

To Duncan's delight, Mornlok excelled under his tutelage and progressed to be a combatant of prodigious talent. The young minotaur's powerful physical heritage, a certain degree of natural aptitude and instruction on modern warfare forged him into a force to be reckoned with, one that Duncan began to test out in the gladiatorial ring. An upset victory in his second season at the ring prompted one of the piqued owners to have Duncan assassinated.

As he had been unreleased from servitude to Duncan, Mornlok was bid for by another owner, one far less tolerant and while not cruel, unconcerned with the welfare of his slaves. Seven bloody years later Mornlok was three years undefeated champion and won both minor fame and his freedom. Using his winnings he commissioned a dwarven smith to forge a replica of his first master's weapon of choice and set off to explore his newly found freedom.

His natural size and race's reputation combined with most outsider's preconceptions means that he often receives harsher treatment that is deserved, which he accepts in stride. While not jaded with the outside world, years of blood shed and the loss of his tribe has left him wary of strangers and he does not make friends or trust others easily, while keeping in mind there may be others worthy of friendship like his teacher. He is often found with charcoal and a large sheaf of parchment in hand crafting elaborate designs.

His feet have eventually led him to Brindol, after being given advice that the people and towns in the Vale are more tolerant of the unusual than most in the realm.

Appearance:
    Towering above all but the tallest of Goliaths, Mornlok is an imposing figure. His size is the first thing anyone notices about him, followed by the fact he is a minotaur and "Good lord, what manner of mace is that?"

Clad in thick leather hide, some self carved wooden charms of intricate design woven into his hair Mornlok threatening appearance is accompanied by a gruff but fairly affable demeanor. His years in the arena have turned his body into corded muscle with surprisingly few scars.

You fucker =P my character will be going up in a few hours. Probably will go Dragonborn now since someone stole my awesome idea. GEEZ. ASS. =P

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Galewin Airstrum Windsoul Barbarian
    Born into a small mining town Galewin’s family stood little higher than the slaves they worked with. Galewin learned at an early age that had he been born with affinity of an earth soul his life would have been much different. The nobles who owned the land he was born on prized its gold, silver, and mithral mines and earth souls were given important positions in those mines using their talents to find the richest deposits. For a wind soul such as Galewin and his family though they were used as messengers. Trusted but certainly not honored.

Galewin’s life was set a new path the day a military recruiter came to his town. A fierce looking fire soul named Infurn began testing the young men of the town at the sword, bow, spear, and arcane arts. Galewin had never practiced much with any save the quarter staff. Infurn handed Galewin a spear with a look that said he expected little.

The sparring started and Galewin won his first match by speed alone. The next he thought perhaps he just got lucky, no one was dumb enough to try the same attack three times in a row. One after another he bested the other boys in his village and each time Infurn’s gaze become more intense. Though Galewin hardly noticed, with each match he lost himself more and more in the dance. The last match had him facing three other boys and Infurn himself. The three went down quick enough, but Infurn seemed to always be a step ahead. A growing frustration in Galewin peaked and in a moment of pure rage Galewin vaulted using his spear over one of the fallen boys and seemed to fly through the air and as he passed over Infurn the butt of the spear found the back of the fire soul’s head sending him the ground.

Galewin joined up with the military and served five years learning his trade. Now he offers his services for hire or where he feels the weak are being oppressed.

Recently Galewin heard that Overlook was seeking skilled adventurers to help out. Arriving in Brindol on the eve of Diamond Day he decided to cool his heels at the local Inn and take in the celebrations before heading on to Overlook to take up the challenge.

Appearance:
    Galewin has light blue skin with shoulder length white hair. Galewin seems made of skin, bone, and sinewy muscle stretched tight over his lanky frame. He moves with the grace of leaves dancing in the wind but can bring blows as hard as a hurricane. Flowing from one enemy to the next on the battle field he makes battle look more a dance than anything else.

Portrait:
    I suck at photo editing. So, here is a blue tinted picture instead :D
    2nb6alz.jpg

Galewin Airstrum, level 1
    Genasi, Barbarian
    Feral Might: Thaneborn Triumph
    Elemental Manifestation: Windsoul
    Background: Birth - On Another Plane

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 20, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 14.

AC: 15 Fort: 17 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
    HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Perception +4, Nature +6, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana +1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance +1, Heal -1, History +1, Insight -1, Intimidate +2, Religion +1, Stealth -1, Streetwise +2, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)

POWERS
    Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
    Barbarian daily 1: Swift Panther Rage

ITEMS
    Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Magic Greatspear +1

I am currently in 1 PbP and I have DM’d two PbP games on the boards here, run a game for guys I work with, and help run the D&D Game events at my local Game Shop on occasion.

I have been itching to get to play this character.

Dajian on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay I think I'm gonna make something that's not a barbarian =P

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    3clipse wrote: »

Heh, I had a few other characters in the stable that I have wanted to play but I really want to try out a Thaneborn that has reach and can literally fly around the battlefield stabbing people :D

Dajian on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Nah, let's have a 4 Barbarian, 1 Leader party. We'll be invincible!

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gennal Aleman

My sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1184
    My Flavor:
    Gennal is not used to having power. He never expected to be the essence of a sidereal force. He expected to inherit the inn from his father, and make his living selling food and rooms to travelers, as his family has done for as long as he can remember. Unfortunately, all of his expectations have now been shattered, and he now walks the earth, dreading the power that now resides in him, yet knowing that he must learn to control it, lest it consume him. He hopes that he is not asked to do anything too vile, but with his luck as of late, he figures that's not too likely. He has left his small town searching for anonymity and training, hoping that none of the good people he grew up with realize he now wields the terrible will of the stars. The worst part seems to be that he is beginning to enjoy using such power.

I suck at pictures, so just use one of the standard portraits from character builder

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    susan wrote: »

Nah, let's have a 4 Barbarian, 1 Leader party. We'll be invincible!

Famous last words?

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, I'll post more to this later, but here's the Mythweavers sheet for...
    stone-man-on-rocks.jpg
    Frotha Skorrsvjar, Dwarven Druid

In the Dwarvenhold of Overlook, some of the older magics have fallen out of style--in today's dangerous world, it's much easier to gird a dwarf in his weight in steel and send him screaming and frothing toward a horde of orcs swinging half that much again on the end of a stick than it is to send the same dwarf through years of training, meditation, and rituals. But in Hammerfast, in the Nentir Vale, there remains a society of warriors dedicated to preserving the ancient ways of war practiced at the dawn of Dwarvendom. These are the Stonespeakers.

Frotha Skorrsvjar is one of these warriors, wielding the primal powers of the bedrock of the world. His hammer is carved in the image of a ram's head, and he carries no shield, for his skin is as hard as the stone from which his city is hewn. He has come to the Nentir Vale following the winds of war, for it is there that his talents might be best used in righteous battle with the enemies of civilization. Brindol seems as good a place as any to be at the moment, for all the Vale is under the threat of war...

He loves good food and drink, and good craftsmanship, as Dwarves do; he speaks roughly and tactlessly; he holds little sympathy in his heart, but he will always protect those who have transgressed no law, and those who are defenseless. He pays service to Moradin, Father of the Dwarves, to his ancestors, and to the earth itself.

Frotha's deal is that he is a Stonespeaker--a Dwarven warrior attuned to the very living rock of the world. All his powers would be ground, stone, and chill flavored, and his Wild Shape would be some sort of stalagmite thing or something, instead of an animal. Just a big ol pile of ass-kicking rock crushing its way through the enemies of all that is Good and True.

This is my first time seriously making a 4e character so input is appreciated!

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay, fuck it. I like this character too much.

Minotar Barbarian incoming.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    So tempted to roll another barbarian for the hilarity

Do it do it do it do it do it do it

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ghesh Alreja - Dragonborn Fighter (Tank)

Dragonborn_Warlord.jpg

Alright then, here goes.

I haven't played a full proper D&D game before, since the friends I was meant to play with turned out not to like this. :x I'm eager as hell to play in a PBP game.

Background
    Ghesh Alreja was born to a high-standing clan in the Lanjear Desert, far north of Nentir Vale. Being of a royal bloodline that extends to the ancient clan hierarchy of Arkhosia, he received an education in both martial and historical aspects that gave him a thirst for the old empires of the past.

Upon coming of age, wanting knowledge of the world and to help those less fortunate, he wandered the small settlements of Lanjear and Nentir Vale, helping where he could as a guardian and counsellor. Seeing the death and devastation in the wilderness inspired in him a dream, to end the suffering of the mortal races – to build a lasting empire, protectorate, – to rebuild Arkhosia. A lofty aspiration, but any step towards it would help others, he was sure.

Now Ghesh knows he needs others to achieve that goal. While he is not so brash to think the revitalisation of an empire will take only a lifetime, he is confident combating the evils of the world is the next step towards it. While heading towards Overlook, to offer aid against the rumoured Orc incursion, he stops in Brindol for the night; and begins the journey of a lifetime.

Personality Traits
    Ghesh is stoic, noble and passionate. Being born to an upper echelon clan has given him a deep passion for law and justness, as well as making him approachable and kind. However, he is unsympathetic and cold towards villains and thieves, those who willingly commit wrong, to a fault. No matter what the circumstances are.

He often has a sense of being worth something much more and is eager to raise this feeling in others.

Mannerisms and Appearence

Ghesh’s scales are deep red, and he has long ‘hair’ often tied into a ponytail. He favours intimidating heavy armour and weapons, in Arkhosian design. As such he wears an Arkhosian war hammer – “Kras’rosha” or “Judgement”. He moves purposely with a sense of duty, and carefully and protectively in combat.

He often plays a Fugal Horn – “Kanos’ha” or “Battlesong”, another Arkhosian relic – when at rest or in personal dire straights instead of talking about the problem. (Note: Fugal Horn is a loud, mellow yet piercing brass instrument).
    Flugelhorn+1.jpg

That's a Fugal.

When conversing with others he tries to be respectful and approachable, although he has been known to be unpurposely critical and pretentious.

Reason for being in Brindol

Ghesh is simply looking for a place to stay while in Brindol. While he is planning to make his way to Overlook, he will not hesitate if another quest or plea for help appears.

D&D Character Builder Info:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    Ghesh Alreja, level 1
    Dragonborn, Fighter
    Build: Guardian Fighter
    Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 11
    HP: 36 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
    Intimidate +8, Endurance +6, Athletics +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana -1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +4, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion -1, Stealth -1, Streetwise +1, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Toughness

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
    Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
    Fighter encounter 1: Passing Attack
    Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Magic Warhammer +1, Heavy Shield, Scale Armor, Horn, Throwing hammer (4)

And finally, Myth-Weavers.

Jeez, that was overkill. D:

Edit: Minor character alterations, Mythweavers.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Will likely post a leader at some point. Maybe a controller. Strikers are always fun, though - I get tired of being a party-face or otherwise, and do enjoy simply being the guy who hits things.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And while I'm at it, isn't Ash Summer (samurai6966's char) supposed to have 35hp; 15+ highest ability score (20 STR in this case), since you used the Birth Under a Bad Omen/Sign background (Benefit: You substitute your highest ability score for Constitution to determine your initial hit points.)

I used CB but thanks for checking that. I'll go back and see whats going on.

Edit: I'm not sure what happen but I unselected the background and reselected it again and it did right. Very odd. Character sheet is now correct. I think.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For your consideration: Asteron, the Stormborn, Minotaur Barbarian

Portrait:
    Minotaur_by_innerabove.jpg
    CB Stuff:
    Asteron, the Stormborn, level 1
    Minotaur, Barbarian
    Background: Monster Hunter (+2 to checks made for monster knowledge), Auspicious Birth (no mechanical benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 11
    HP: 33 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +8, Perception +8, Nature +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, History -1, Insight +1, Intimidate, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Execution axe)

POWERS
    Barbarian at-will 1: Devastating Strike
    Barbarian encounter 1: Avalanche Strike

ITEMS
    Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Magic Execution axe +1, Totem, Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
    Appearance
    His fur and hair are a dark brown, almost as deep as ebony. His horns are large, curved, and sharp and are bone white. His eyes are a deep green. He is huge, even for a minotaur, and his body ripples with muscle. His armor is thick and white, made from the hide of a great polar bear which he himself killed. All over it are horns, teeth, and claws of various sizes, colors, and shapes, trophies from the various monsters he has slain. Over his back is a small backpack and a truly massive two-handed axe, it's head studded with sharp teeth like that of a saw.

A small carved totem hangs from his belt; you recognize the silhouette of a raven or a crow in it, along with maze-like markings that you don't recognize.
    Mannerisms and Personality
    Like all minotaurs, class and station are important to him; he shows deference to those above him, and is courteous to those he perceives as being below him. He is as boisterous and loud in every day life as he is in combat, his laugh being joyful and contagious. He is quick to trust, and incredibly loyal. Despite his huge size and outgoing nature (and ferocity in combat), there is a gentleness about him. He rarely raises his voice unless enraged, and has a surprisingly large heart for someone who hunts beasts.

He has a habit of fingering the totem hanging from his belt, tracing the carvings in it with his huge fingers. When you ask him about it, he smiles softly and simply says "that's another story, for another time." He gets a far off look in his eyes when he says this, and you get the sense that the smile is more at a memory than at your question.
    Background/reason for being in Brindol
    Asteron was born to a relatively large tribe of minotaur living on the plains, in the middle of the worst hurricane any of them could remember; as soon as his birth was over, the storm cleared in minutes, giving way to a calm night. "The boy is stormborn," the elders said. "Blessed and cursed with the power of the winds. He will be very stong, a force of reckoning, but he will not be content to stay in one place." As elders so often are, they were ultimately proved correct.

Asteron grew large and grew quickly, rapidly out-pacing his peers and even those older than he. His prowess in combat, both armed and unarmed, soon became apparent, and he won many tournaments in his village. He achieved status as the foremost warrior in the village, and always won when the different tribes came together for massive tournaments. "You can't stand against the storm" his tribemates would say, and at the Naming Ceremony (a huge celebration given at 15, when minotaurs come of age in the tribe, and at which the minotaur's surname is given to them, based on their personality and exploits up to that point), everyone knew what he would be called. The Stormborn.

At the age of 16 he went on his first Hunt, tracking a huge elephant through the plains for 3 days before killing it single-handedly. Basking in the thrill of the hunt and the rush of the kill, he realized that this was what he wanted: adventure, danger, and combat, not a quiet tribal life. Hunting whenever he could, he soon realized that the rolling plains are not the best place to find challenging game. He said goodbye to his family, and everyone he had ever known, and left, taking only his weapon and a village totem with him; he was sad to go, and the others were sad to see him leave, but he and they had both known this was coming since the day he as born. "You cannot cage the wind, nor force it to stay with you," as they say.

17 now, he wandered, alone in a land he had seen surprisingly little of. His first trip took him to the far north and the blowing snow. There he killed a gargantuan polar bear, larger than even he; he still wears its hide to this day. This was the beginning of a long, strange trip that has now lasted 4 years. He does not tend to advertise his services as a hunter of beasts, but prefers to simply kill his prey, quietly, and take a small keepsake (a tooth, or claw, or horn). If the beast is edible, he will bring its remains to the nearest town (or alert them to the presence of the corpse), as there's not point in wasting perfectly good food.

The past year, though, his hunting has been slowing down. This is partially due to there being fewer great beasts in the world (and more humanoid creatures), and partially due to his own desire being less fervent. He still loves the thrill of the hunt, but now he is thinking more and more about adventuring: entering dungeons and ruined keeps in search of riches, artifacts, and (more importantly) dangerous enemies. This has brought him to Brindol. Rumors of a massive army closing on the Overlook have piqued his interest. He has never fought in a war, and thinks it might be interesting, a nice change of pace from monster hunting. Not so foolish as to rush directly to the city, however, he has come to one of the outlying towns to better learn the lay of the land and the situation as it pertains to goblins, bandits, and orc armies.

He wants to fight, anything he can, and is perfectly willing to team up with others who have similar desires, or whose desires may at least involve a good fight or two (or three...or four...).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Make a Longtooth shifter barbarian named Ash.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

Make a Longtooth shifter barbarian named Ash.

Lets have a party were everyone's name is Ash!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    God, spare me the Pokemon trainers-

Oh wait. Wrong Ash.

If we have enough Ashes, can we get discounts at S-Mart?

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    God, spare me the Pokemon trainers-

Oh wait. Wrong Ash.

If we have enough Ashes, can we get discounts at S-Mart?

No, just a lot of heads turning in the bar when you call the name out.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes, but this game will have deadites in it! And I want the boomstick!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dibs on the Chainsaw of Infinite Gas +8!

adventfalls on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, decided differently because I had a really cool idea for a character. I give you Helen Mohiam, Vestige Pact Warlock (with a hint of Shaman):

Picture:
    bene-gesserit.jpg
    Background:
    Helen was raised in the Feywild by her mother, an Eladrin witch of some power. Her father, she never knew. When asked about it, her mother would simply smile, and change the topic, though she did let loose one night, under the influence of some particularly potent halucinogens, that her father was a human of great standing, possibly a mighty king or great wizard. Upon coming of age, her mother brought her to a particular spring Helen had not previously known of. Drinking deep of the spring's magic waters, Helen felt a fiery, agonizing pain - and yet, with a mental focus she did not know she possessed, Helen turned her mind inward and began to break down the magic of the spring water into its individual components. As she did, she noticed a part of her mind she had never observed before.

Like a flood, memories spilled into Helen's mind. Female ancestors, from recent generations to millenia before, began to speak to her, introducing themselves. Some were polite; some were controlling; some merely joyous. Even her mother was there, Helen found. When Helen recovered from her trance, her mother was nowhere to be found; and yet her voice rang in Helen's head. Her mother's voice told her that by allowing various personalities to control or guide her for a time, Helen could access special powers and abilities beyond that of a normal person, often simply by modulating her voice and speaking a command. She also told Helen that she was born for a purpose, to fulfill an ancient obligation, but that Helen could not be yet told what this was.

Helen now travels the Material plane, listening to her inner voices guide her along a path she knows not. Recently, they have suggested to Helen that she travel to the town of Brindol. For what, the voices are silent, but Helen has learned to trust her ancestors.
    Personality:
    Outwardly, Helen projects calm and authority, and gives a sense of control. Internally, she doesn't possess nearly the amount of confidence that she shows, and she's still getting used to accessing and acknowledging the presences within her, who she often turns to for advice.
    Appearance:
    She wears fairly plain and stark clothes, but they accentuate a soft, pretty face. This may throw initial assumptions about her off, at least until they see her steely eyes or hear her voice, which is like iron wrapped in velvet.
    Character builder:
    Helen Mohiam, level 1
    Half-Elf, Warlock
    Build: Scourge Warlock
    Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Constitution
    Eldritch Pact: Vestige Pact
    Background: Birth - Prophecy (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 14.

AC: 15 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
    HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Streetwise +8, Arcana +8, History +10, Insight +8, Nature +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, Intimidate +3, Perception +1, Religion +3, Stealth, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Spirit Talker

POWERS
    Dilettante: Vicious Mockery
    Spirit Talker: Spirit's Fangs
    Warlock at-will: Eldritch Blast
    Warlock at-will: Eyes of the Vestige
    Warlock encounter 1: Clarion Call
    Warlock daily 1: Decree of Khirad

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Amulet of Protection +1, Leather Armor, Dagger, Implement, Wand, Potion of Healing (heroic tier), 17 gp

Note that her "Vestiges" are refluffed to be her various ancestors, coming to the fore and guiding her. As she gains in levels, she becomes able to access her ancestors better, and their partnership grows allowing her to be more effective. Many of her powers are voice related, to represent her most common way of using her power.

Mythweavers link

Okay, okay, yes,
    she's a Bene Gesserit.
    So sue me. I thought it would be cool to do!

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    tzeentch that shit is tight

okay, so I've been reading the 4e discussion thread and it convinced me to spread my abilities out a little more, and it made a lot of difference! I suddenly qualify for pretty much every feat. I've got my eye on a few, and I'm looking for a little guidance:

Timely Respite (PHB2): second wind or full defense grants saving throw. This would synch up with Dwarven Resilience pretty awesome.
    Light Shield Proficiency (PHB): I could jack up my AC a little more for being in melee.
    Dodge Giants (PHB): again with the defenses, but this is a little situational.
    Distant Advantage (PHB2): Gain combat advantage with ranged and area attacks against flanked enemies. This seems solid for my ranged powers!
    Enraged Boar Form (PHB2): kickass beast form charge feat with +1/+2 to charges, but does that qualify as a kickass feat?
    Melee Training (PHB2): not as big a deal now that my STR went up a little.

(sheet for reference)

Basically, I know this guy won't spend much time in melee, but I think that he's going to be at least able to stay up a round or two if somebody's in his face; I've heard bad things about beast form so it seems like my actual melee power is out the window for the most part. Is it worth taking a feat to spice up my melee proficiency, and if so, what is it?

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Generally, it's hard to go wrong with Distant Advantage ASSUMING that your melee folks can reliably set up flanks every turn so that you can properly utilize it.

Dodge Giants is too situational to be of much use; great when it's active, but worthless when it's not. It's better in paragon and epic tiers when everything just seems bigger.

Timely Respite is pretty great with the whole Second-Wind-as-a-minor things that Dwarves have.

As for Light Shield Prof, I'm not sure if it's worth a feat. You're not making a beast-form-centric Druid, right? You shouldn't be in melee enough to need that.

interrobang on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jimninja wrote: »
    tzeentch that shit is tight

okay, so I've been reading the 4e discussion thread and it convinced me to spread my abilities out a little more, and it made a lot of difference! I suddenly qualify for pretty much every feat. I've got my eye on a few, and I'm looking for a little guidance:

Timely Respite (PHB2): second wind or full defense grants saving throw. This would synch up with Dwarven Resilience pretty awesome.
    Light Shield Proficiency (PHB): I could jack up my AC a little more for being in melee.
    Dodge Giants (PHB): again with the defenses, but this is a little situational.
    Distant Advantage (PHB2): Gain combat advantage with ranged and area attacks against flanked enemies. This seems solid for my ranged powers!
    Enraged Boar Form (PHB2): kickass beast form charge feat with +1/+2 to charges, but does that qualify as a kickass feat?
    Melee Training (PHB2): not as big a deal now that my STR went up a little.

(sheet for reference)

Basically, I know this guy won't spend much time in melee, but I think that he's going to be at least able to stay up a round or two if somebody's in his face; I've heard bad things about beast form so it seems like my actual melee power is out the window for the most part. Is it worth taking a feat to spice up my melee proficiency, and if so, what is it?

I'd stick to controllery powers and focus a little less on being in melee, unless there's some pressing reason to close. Distant advantage is nice for controlling. The AC and saving throw shit wouldn't interest me as a controller.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    All right, thanks you guys! Yeah, I'm not making a beast form Druid (although maybe I should have, looking at the flavor I wrote), so I think I'll go with Distant Advantage.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg