Options

F*cking the Peach, and other stories.

• Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's really too bad no game has yet attempted to cut into the female demographic by the means of ridiculously hot character models.

A genuine shame.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's the old comic book point. Sure you have

poisonivy1.jpg

But you also have

image_splash.jpg

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    tyrannus, thanks for posting that vid. it made some good points, namely, that marketing usually appeals to the lowest common denominator.
    marketer bob: we need to sell as many copies as possible. that means we want to appeal to as broad an audience as possible.

marketer steve: uh, well, we've got the teenage boy segment, the teenage girl segment, the adult male segment, and the adult female segment.

marketer bob: pfft, you can write off the females entirely. EVERYONE knows they don't play OUR games. what do you think this is, nintendo?

marketer steve: uh, so that leaves the adult and teenage males. our game has both great action and a mature, well-written plot.

marketer bob: naw, no 14 year old wants a well-written plot. look, we need to find some common ground here. what does a 14 year old boy share with a 27 year old man?

marketer steve: uh....a penis?

marketer bob: Ed Zachary.

so the games that have obvious sex appeal or violence are hugely marketed, but those games that have neither are a CONUNDRUM to marketing teams. seriously. they can't figure out how to sell them, so they don't bother. that's how we get situations like okami, beyond good and evil, etc.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    The sexualization of video game characters is hardly limited to the girls alone

In the latest Prince of Persia, you had the super hot sidekick Elika
    elika_2.jpg

But your character was the prince
    prince-of-persia-20080527114804970_640w.jpg
    Who is about as equally representative of the physical ideal
    But then it doesn't even matter because both characters were amazingly well written and they were both really cool and and and Nuzak you're dumb for hating this game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

elika_2.jpg

But then it doesn't even matter because both characters were amazingly well written and they were both really cool and and and Nuzak you're dumb for hating this game.

The wall-crawling Pac Man segments blow. Also, by the time I realised I was choosing new upgrades inefficiently, the white things got even further spread out. (You need unlocked areas to be adjacent.)

My save fucking up was the last straw. I traded it and will not try again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for contributing Cantido

Robman on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

elika_2.jpg

The wall-crawling Pac Man segments blow. Also, by the time I realised I was choosing new upgrades inefficiently, the white things got even further spread out. (You need unlocked areas to be adjacent.)

No you didn't. I'm not even sure the game would be possible with certain power configs if that was the case.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The new PoP has problems that are nothing to do with the writing. I got bored after about 3 hours :x

How could they have taken one of the best combat systems in 3rd person gaming and turned it into that NUUUUUUUUUU

BUT ANYWAY

Girls, yes, they are good when they are playing vidya games.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

elika_2.jpg

No you didn't. I'm not even sure the game would be possible with certain power configs if that was the case.

Not that you need it, but it's really fucking annoying if they're not adjacent.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In video games, all characters, regardless of gender, are uber-beings. Chris Redfield has muscles bigger than his head and Lara Croft does insane acrobatics with 36DDs. There are exceptions, of course.

MGS4 was a mixed bag in this regard. Meryl was pretty well-represented but Naomi just made me cringe. No bra and shirt half-open. That's way too fan servicey.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sepah wrote: »
    One important part of being an artform, I think, is progression.

We've gone from this:

Better example would be this:

final-fantasy-6.jpg

to this:

finalfantasyx2_091603_yrp_01_640w.jpg

This would be a good example to use as a 'how we're not progressing at all'.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

elika_2.jpg

The fuck is a Pac Man segment? You can't pick them inefficiently. Like. You literally can't. You can either go for an entire zone at a time or go for two starter zones and then entire areas. And of course they need to be adjacent, you walk to them from other areas.

edit: Wait by Pac Man do you mean collecting light seeds? That part was great if you're not some kind of guy that needs to rush through games and enjoys seeing the game's world. It was fucking great.

But anyway, comic books aren't really an accepted form of art outside of nerds, so pointing out that they have very naked and sexy WINKY ladies doesn't really say much. That kind of stuff is seen as tasteless by normal people and people really need to stop putting it in games if they ever want the medium to be taken seriously. Which, I guess, it kind of has but then the modding community is really bad. It doesn't matter which game, there's going to be a nude mod.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lara Croft does insane acrobatics with 36DDs

To be fair they're shrinking all the time. In legend all the female characters have the same model (which is wasp-waisted and busty), in anniversary they're a step down, and in underworld she's still busty but much more in proportion.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey, there were a few months there for the Fallout 3 mod community where there was only a couple of sex mods in the top25

We celebrated actually good mods that improved the combat, animations, etc

But then we went back to hurf durf sex plz

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lara Croft does insane acrobatics with 36DDs

To be fair they're shrinking all the time. In legend all the female characters have the same model (which is wasp-waisted and busty), in anniversary they're a step down, and in underworld she's still busty but much more in proportion.

The Super Quasi-Legal Fun Time Photos that got leaked show an entirely believable person
    6090_99466303129_31118893129_1957993_2936009_n.jpg

If they decide to reboot the franchise again

Robman on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hey, i actually liked prince of persia's gameplay a lot, but i don't think the prince and elika's interactions were that great. mostly because they just stood there in the same position when they talked. nothing wrong with the dialog, but they only had ONE ANIMATION for talking. when there are only two people in the world, you need more variety, guys.

also, still pissed about epilogue DLC being denied to PC players, but that's a different matter.

now, let's get back on topic.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZVZRsy8N8

i promise it's semi-related.

And now, it's time to play, name that anecdote!

Apparently I hit the jackpot, because my wife fits every description this guy wants to see girl gamers evolve into.

When I met her, she played SNES games like LttP and Mario Allstars, as well as PS1 games like Spyro and Tomb Raider.

We played WoW together for 2 years. We regularly play Halo 3 together in matchmaking (and she's not holding a handicap from her boobs, either). She has played Mass Effect and Fable II, and even has Dragon Age Preordered (all games that I have no interest in).

She bought an Xbox for herself, of which she only ever bought like 4 games for it. JSRF and DOA-Beach Volley Ball were her games.

My wife likes to look at pretty things. She can stand playing as male characters, if the game itself holds enough charm, but give her a game where she can choose, and it will almost always be a female avatar. What's interesting is I have seen her totally shun a game because all the female avatars looked like they were victims of down-syndrome.

Now, while doing this, she absolutely hates women that use videogames for sources of attention. If we ever see a girl in Halo's matchmaking with a gamertag like "Beaten by a girl" or something along those line, it drives her nuts. She sees those girls as attention whores. Because it's not good enough that a girl can hold her own (usually she can't) but the girl has to publicly announce that she owns a vagina, so that she might get special treatment, or friend requests, or whatever.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If they decide to reboot the franchise again

It's not a reboot. It's a mistranslation from the german - they were talking about how they were going to reinvent her origin story (which hasn't been touched on so far in the crystal dynamics continuity).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah but that video had a looot of poorly thought out quasi-feminist stuff, that you could really argue was rooted in paternalism.

He discusses scifi as an inherently masculine genre. He theorizes that including minorities and women will provide unique game design settings (oh look, the Indian man has an idea!). He discusses the sexualized female characters you see on box art, and fails to mention the equally comic-book quality males that are often seen beside them. Someone brought up RE:5... the male was a worse physical stereotype then the woman.

His views are rooted in the idea that brown people and girls somehow think differently in some way then us white male folk. That's the incredibly dangerous overcompensation to post-colonial patriarchy that ends up going full circle. Women and Brown people are different then us in some way. They aren't. They're all people.

EDIT obv. this was @ Kor

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Women and Brown people are different then us in some way. They aren't. They're all people.

I think even somebody who is actively against gender essentialism would agree that given the way our culture is at the moment, there are certain pressures on women to think a certain way. And consequently, even though the raw material may not be different, women do think differently than men.

Edit: Because we can, a posteori, observe that there are distinct differences in consumption patterns between men and women.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And now we get into the classic question of what constitutes culture and society, and how such a regionally diverse thing can possibly be defined etc

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah but that video had a looot of poorly thought out quasi-feminist stuff, that you could really argue was rooted in paternalism.

He discusses scifi as an inherently masculine genre. He theorizes that including minorities and women will provide unique game design settings (oh look, the Indian man has an idea!). He discusses the sexualized female characters you see on box art, and fails to mention the equally comic-book quality males that are often seen beside them. Someone brought up RE:5... the male was a worse physical stereotype then the woman.

His views are rooted in the idea that brown people and girls somehow think differently in some way then us white male folk. That's the incredibly dangerous overcompensation to post-colonial patriarchy that ends up going full circle. Women and Brown people are different then us in some way. They aren't. They're all people.

EDIT obv. this was @ Kor

Oh certainly, we're on the same page here. I'm just using a simple example to combat his theory, while you're just dissecting his ideas itself.

I suppose I should have included a bit more of a summary or point in my first post there.

I'm of the opinion that there is no single tactic or plan that anyone person or group could do, to pull the female audience into gaming in the same way that males are here. I believe we will reach that point in the future eventually, but it will be a slow gradual process. I also believe that most of the attempts to bring about a larger female audience as actually doing more harm than good.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And now we get into the classic question of what constitutes culture and society, and how such a regionally diverse thing can possibly be defined etc

Indeedy. For example, his observations probably don't apply as strongly in Japan as they do in the US.

But I don't think his conclusion (that marketing games specifically to women was not necessarily the way to go) is a bad one.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Indeedy. For example, his observations probably don't apply as strongly in Japan as they do in the US.

But I don't think his conclusion (that marketing games specifically to women was not necessarily the way to go) is a bad one.

Other then gender-specific advertising for entertainment being pretty much the only thing outside of rape that will unite every third-wave feminist against you, in practical terms it's a pretty good idea.

But yeah, the gaming industry could learn a lot from the post-feminist group. Archetypes are easy to write for, but really speak to nobody. And reversing the usual gender roles will 99% of the time come across as a transparent attempt to Be Progressive!

It is an incredibly difficult problem to approach.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I guess what I'm saying is the video presents second-wave feminist views and all the failings therof, and isn't fundamentally based on the concept of women as people.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If anyone is on a FFXIII blackout, then don't read this.
    I'm actually very intrigued to see FFXIII because of this. A female lead that (as far as we know) doesn't have some guy she's pining over the whole game, but in fact, is there to work with her future brother in law, to save her sister.

Kor on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In video games, all characters, regardless of gender, are uber-beings. Chris Redfield has muscles bigger than his head and Lara Croft does insane acrobatics with 36DDs. There are exceptions, of course.

MGS4 was a mixed bag in this regard. Meryl was pretty well-represented but Naomi just made me cringe. No bra and shirt half-open. That's way too fan servicey.

Nuffin wrong with Mei-Ling though.

mgs-mei-ling.jpg

She actually has MORE clothing in MGS4. She wears *gasp* PANTS.

And may I say, her Engrish accent in the first game was actually something that attracted me to her character. It gave her a really cute charm, afterall, she was depicted as something of a child genius who invented the Soloton radar at age 20 or so. She just sounded so darn concerned for Snake. It was hard to hear her shouting and screaming Snake frantically and not feel *something*.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Mei Ling wasn't sexualized. Though the camera did zoom in on her butt when she was on all fours in the Act V briefing and at one point Johnny actually tried to grab her ass.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, but who can blame him? <3

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Nuffin wrong with Mei-Ling though.

mgs-mei-ling.jpg

She actually has MORE clothing in MGS4. She wears *gasp* PANTS.

And may I say, her Engrish accent in the first game was actually something that attracted me to her character. It gave her a really cute charm, afterall, she was depicted as something of a child genius who invented the Soloton radar at age 20 or so. She just sounded so darn concerned for Snake. It was hard to hear her shouting and screaming Snake frantically and not feel *something*.

She got to O-6 at a really young age by taking it from behind, courtesy of a superior officer. D:

Cantido on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And now posters are acting like exactly the creepy fucks this thread denounces.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

It was never gonna end well really.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

It's guys talking about a girl they're attracted to.

The same thing happens when girls talk about a guy in a movie or game (lol) they find hot

Robman on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bear in mind, the point of the OP was pretty much that being attracted to video game girls is A-OK.

FLIPPY_D WHAT HAVE YOU WROUGHT

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    Bear in mind, the point of the OP was pretty much that being attracted to video game girls is A-OK.

FLIPPY_D WHAT HAVE YOU WROUGHT

and the rest of the thread is about whether that's true or not.

and if untrue, why?

it's the examples that get us into trouble. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have any (non-porn) games featured jiggle physics for men? I don't know of any, but I haven't really been paying attention...

What if, in a God of War cutscene for instance, the camera zooms in momentarily on Kratos' package, and his junk noticeably jiggles? Would it affect your enjoyment of the game at all?

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Have any (non-porn) games featured jiggle physics for men? I don't know of any, but I haven't really been paying attention...

What if, in a God of War cutscene for instance, the camera zooms in momentarily on Kratos' package, and his junk noticeably jiggles? Would it affect your enjoyment of the game at all?

I don't know anyone of either gender who would find that sexy.

1-1 ratios rarely exist in this argument. The fact that men find something sexy in women doesn't generally mean that women will find the same thing sexy in men.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Boobs are funny

Robman on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yes, it would diminish it greatly.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kivutar wrote: »

Yes, it would diminish it greatly.

I don't like this example. I wouldn't mind if Kratos had his pecs jiggling from all the running/swinging he does.

McAllen on
This discussion has been closed.