Options

F*cking the Peach, and other stories.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If there were ever a more apt application of "have your cake and eat it too," I have yet to find it.

Nothing wrong with Elika.

Nothing wrong with Lara Croft.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    MGS wasn't so good with Sniper Wolf though.

Monty Python Tracts of Land Cleavage? Check. Constricting belt? Check. Very tight pants? Check. Long hair? Check.

I'm speaking in purely practical terms though.

yeah, in the middle of fucking winter

and apparently she lies down on the concrete like this for days tracking targets

I'm tempted to say that she has one of the cooler designs in MGS (and she never sticks her ass into the player's face, which puts her into something of a minority among female MGS characters), but even then, it's really useless. A poncho, T-shirt, and khakis would work equally well, if not better, since they probably wouldn't be strangling the life out of her waist.

Then again, didn't MGS4 put a bunch of unfortunate ladies in skintight industrial rubber? I never got that far...
    MGS4_04.jpg

Jesus Christ on a stick. Practicality or dignity aside, this is the sort of thing that wakes people up from nightmares, screaming and thrashing. Uncanny valley, or just how much discomfort she radiates...it feels like she should be jumping out of a pool of mercury or a computer monitor and dragging people back in.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know pictures don't give off the sounds and stimulation that the game does. And plus that .gif explaining imagination and not taking the polygons literally is what makes these things sexy. People get stimulated from reading, using the words to morph their imagination into Jessica Rabbit or some such.

but I'm probably wrong and this has probably been reiterated. I can't wait until it turns into "who can post the hottest rendition" thread.

McAllen on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Really? For me the lack of context as to why she's crawling on all fours is the weirdest thing about it. I mean it's not like bodygloves don't ever have real world application outside kinky sex. They could have made the camo-ish nature of them more convincing.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So far I've been very pleased with how the female counterparts of the classes in Diablo 3 have been portrayed. I especially like this concept art of the female barbarian:
    diablo3-25.jpg

Finally, a female melee fighter who actually looks strong enough to lift an 80-lb. sword, and tough enough to use it effectively.

I'm also happy with the change in the saber cats:

Mon-lacuni-huntress1.jpg

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Really? For me the lack of context as to why she's crawling on all fours is the weirdest thing about it. I mean it's not like bodygloves don't ever have real world application outside kinky sex. They could have made the camo-ish nature of them more convincing.

Well, the crawling is weird too.

And I'm guessing it's not a wetsuit, plus there's the bizarro posture of her back. It's basically "all creepy" to me. Maybe with the exception of the wood floor and walls.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Well, the crawling is weird too.

And I'm guessing it's not a wetsuit, plus there's the bizarro posture of her back. It's basically "all creepy" to me. Maybe with the exception of the wood floor and walls.

give her a break, she's insane

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, like I said it's the lack of context. We don't know WHY she's crawling and that makes it weirder than it necessarily needs to be, and the posture of her back doesn't seem weird, you just can't see it because of her head being in the way.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you get on the cot and play possum, she lays on snake for sexy time. By that I mean choking.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was too busy being freaked the hell out by their SCREAMING or CRYING to get turned on, especially the first time I played.

Octopus especially, it was just sad. :(

Maybe that's a good subversion?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    If you get on the cot and play possum, she lays on snake for sexy time. By that I mean choking.

I think that happens no matter where you lay down. And of course there's the semi-hidden photo shoot mode.

But yeah, those fights did freak me out a bit.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Death by snoo snoo, it's a good way to go Snake.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so are we taking from both columns, then? a little from side a, a little from side b?

obviously certain elements in games are meant to emphasize a female's sex appeal, but it seems in games that lack those overt displays, modders have taken over. i give you any number of fallout 3 nude mods, or hell, nude mods in general.

god, i'll never forget the madden one.

D:

so are we in a feedback loop? as developers decrease the emphasis on sexuality, gamers ratchet it back up? who's driving the demand?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think it's because the modders want there to be a lot of T&A in their games. When there isn't any, they overcompensate.

I think some developers have been trying to appeal to a wider audience, and so have been holding back on overly sexist content. But some people have come to expect gratuitous sexuality in their games, and are angered when there isn't any.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    I think it's because the modders want there to be a lot of T&A in their games. When there isn't any, they overcompensate.

I think some developers have been trying to appeal to a wider audience, and so have been holding back on overly sexist content. But some people have come to expect gratuitous sexuality in their games, and are angered when there isn't any.

Most modders are probably young males.

As we have discussed at length, young males are ruining the gaming industry and keeping anyone other than young men from taking the medium seriously.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Ruining" is totally the word I'd use. Man, video games have just been one steady slide down the toilet. I don't know why I even play them. Absolutely nothing redeeming about them in the slightest.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was too busy being freaked the hell out by their SCREAMING or CRYING to get turned on, especially the first time I played.

Octopus especially, it was just sad. :(

Maybe that's a good subversion?

That just makes it all the creepier.

Honestly, if she was just wearing military fatigues like much of the rest of the cast, whilst screaming and crying, it would have been better, I want to say.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The origional plan was to have them emerge from the "Beast" cyborg suits totally naked.

That would have been really squicky.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The origional plan was to have them emerge from the "Beast" cyborg suits totally naked.

What would have been wrong with that?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Ah.

Stay classy, Kojima.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The fact that these poor abused women would have been vomited forth naked and crying from their cold, animal-shaped prison-carapaces?

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, oogling boobies and mentally traumatized war victims don't necessarily go together.

I think that dissonance is what Kojima was aiming for... that or he just really likes bewbs.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Could be a little of column A, a little of column B.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's not pretend that hot women and unrealistic armor are somehow only desireable to young males. Believe it or not, most women want their characters to be attractive, and they'll often choose the slutty armors over the practical ones.

It's not a gender issue, it's simply a matter of taste. Some people like realistic artwork, some people like fantasy artwork.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The fact that these poor abused women would have been vomited forth naked and crying from their cold, animal-shaped prison-carapaces?

I think that would have driven home that point more, actually.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I think that would have driven home that point more, actually.

You would have gotten it. Most other people would have started jerking it furiously.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah but most probably were anyway.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, oogling boobies and mentally traumatized war victims don't necessarily go together.

I think that dissonance is what Kojima was aiming for... that or he just really likes bewbs.

The Boss was originally going to have an exposed breast hanging out at all times.

Pretty funny how all his attempts at full frontal nudity have been rejected.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The Boss was originally going to have an exposed breast hanging out at all times.

I almost feel sorry for him.

Well, not really. Especially since he got his crotch-grabs in anyway, and deep down, I suspect that's whta really matters.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I can see the symbolism there, but Kojima is full-on batshit if he thinks that would have passed muster in most western countries

But Kojima being batshit is something we all already knew anyway

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i think Kojima's recent attempts at nudity are tasteful and would have fit perfectly well with the narrative

then you see the molestation that was present in policenauts and you can't help but question his true intentions.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Most modders are probably young males.

As we have discussed at length, young males are ruining the gaming industry and keeping anyone other than young men from taking the medium seriously.

I'd be careful throwing this old argument around like an answer to everything. Other people than young males are taking games seriously, in fact, studies show that just as many females play games and that the average gamer is not young. What i find interesting is even though the industry knows this, that not only 13-year olds likes reflex and coordination challenges, they still keep pumping out these characters.

And hey, you know what? So does the entire advertisement industry where young males are a relatively small part of the market.

I hate the stupid proportions in characters, but it's sellable. The only reason video game characters are this extreme compared to say, clothes models (who with todays technology often are completely unreal on pictures and caters a lot to middle aged women), is because they can get away with it. Put this amount of distortion on a poster of a real human being and it'll look weird. In a video game world though, where everythings possible? Well hey, it sells to have even more disproportionate bodies.

Also i disagree with everyone earlier about characters like rachel or the DoA girls being hot... They're ridiculous.

PS: I made the study numbers vague because they differ somewhat from different surveys in different geographics. From what i know females makes up 40-50% (and this definatly includes boobage games likes ninja gaiden), and the average gamer is at least 30.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember watching an interview with the team that made the Warhammer Online intro movie and the person who made the witch elf wizard lady character was a female and I remember her saying how she wanted to make the characters boobs bigger as to bulge over the armor but decided against it.

Now, I'm drunk and have no idea what this statement is supposed to add to the conversation but there it is.

Link you say? Fuck you look it up yourselves. (I think it may have been a Gnomon workshop video)

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Remember in Firefly? Box opens, containing naked Summer Glau? Those last three words should be happy ones in just about any context, but that scene made me want to cry and vomit.

Something about mentally damaged women being encased against their will should strike a person as unpleasant.

Of course, at the same time I'll admit to enjoying watching the MGS4 ladies walk.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZVZRsy8N8

i promise it's semi-related.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember watching an interview with the team that made the Warhammer Online intro movie and the person who made the witch elf wizard lady character was a female and I remember her saying how she wanted to make the characters boobs bigger as to bulge over the armor but decided against it.

Now, I'm drunk and have no idea what this statement is supposed to add to the conversation but there it is.

Link you say? Fuck you look it up yourselves. (I think it may have been a Gnomon workshop video)

I will not be BOTP because I am drunk.

That's a valid reason shut up.

EDIT: Tyrannus I love you,lets drunk hug

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think we can all agree with the video that marketing executives are the root of all evil.

Also contrary to what that video states about men to women ratio in the game development industry, in the last few years the male share has increased. Of course more women has joined the profession, just that even more men has, so they're fewer in comparison.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    i think Kojima's recent attempts at nudity are tasteful and would have fit perfectly well with the narrative

then you see the molestation that was present in policenauts and you can't help but question his true intentions.

Look at this scar!

I see it! I see it!

LOOK DEEPER!

hiimdaisy is awesome.

Also, I would do unspeakable things to Laughing Octopus.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The sexualization of video game characters is hardly limited to the girls alone

In the latest Prince of Persia, you had the super hot sidekick Elika
    elika_2.jpg

But your character was the prince
    prince-of-persia-20080527114804970_640w.jpg
    Who is about as equally representative of the physical ideal

Robman on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    The sexualization of video game characters is hardly limited to the girls alone

In the latest Prince of Persia, you had the super hot sidekick Elika
    elika_2.jpg

But your character was the prince
    prince-of-persia-20080527114804970_640w.jpg
    Who is about as equally representative of the physical ideal

To be honest I found the prince way more gratuitous in the new PoP than Elika. And need I remind anyone of SoT? "Oh look, some dust on my shirt".

The Fourth Estate on
This discussion has been closed.