As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F*cking the Peach, and other stories.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Because someone, somewhere in this thread misunderstood another person's comment or intentions. It's actually a kind of fluid, organic growth I enjoy about reading these threads.

Anywho, back on topic.

I think the issue about being attracted to the women in video games springs from the fact that it's an interactive medium. You can't interact with books or movies (despite what the Final Destination 3 DVD tried to sell me) the way you can in video games. I'm of the outlook that any portrayal of human form can be attractive and you be can be attracted to certain features in any work in any medium. This is quite acceptable and, quite frankly, to be expected. To try and pursue a relationship with these characters (either carying around their image or just in your imagination) to the point of eschewing human contact is -to me- very strange.

Not sure if this is the point and I'm running out of time to post this (I'm about to get off of work), but hopefully this will kind of get things back on track.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I almost said those are four characters, not eight.
    Then I said ooooooh and giggled a little.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I aim to please.

I think the recent portrayals they've done of the cast of Final Fantasy VII (not as they appear in Advent Children, but actually in the game) are also relevant. Square-Enix's neverending whoring of FFVII and dangling the remake carrot aside...

wip6.jpg

...has progressed to this...

233659-tifa_large.jpg

(Potentially, though I would say it'll soon be within our capabilities now as an actual-in game model, if not something very close).

Then again, Tifa's appearance has always been extremely utilitarian compared to other Square-Enix heroines (compare her to Yuna, Lulu, Terra, etc.). So it's not a matter of bringing out details so much as just adjusting what is already there. Not the case with SC characters, naturally.
    And if it's relevant, yes, I think she's much more doable in the second picture. But I am NOT an expert on the Uncanny Valley.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would let that girl beat on me all day long.

Don't even say you wouldn't, cause you'd be lying.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

I aim to please.

I think the recent portrayals they've done of the cast of Final Fantasy VII (not as they appear in Advent Children, but actually in the game) are also relevant. Square-Enix's neverending whoring of FFVII and dangling the remake carrot aside...

wip6.jpg

233659-tifa_large.jpg

(Potentially, though I would say it'll soon be within our capabilities now as an actual-in game model, if not something very close).

Then again, Tifa's appearance has always been extremely utilitarian compared to other Square-Enix heroines (compare her to Yuna, Lulu, Terra, etc.). So it's not a matter of bringing out details so much as just adjusting what is already there. Not the case with SC characters, naturally.
    And if it's relevant, yes, I think she's much more doable in the second picture. But I am NOT an expert on the Uncanny Valley.

See I can understand there is a gradient of 'doability' with the pixelated mess of the first image right at the bottom of the scale. But the second one is a doll. It's worse than a doll, it's a doll that moves and speaks with someone else's voice.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    See I can understand there is a gradient of 'doability' with the pixelated mess of the first image right at the bottom of the scale. But the second one is a doll. It's worse than a doll, it's a doll that moves and speaks with someone else's voice.

Your mileage may vary. It's a tricky concept.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Discussing the "doability" of videogame characters is why there's such a stigma to thinking female videogame characters are beautiful. Because it's never about them being beautiful.

It's about how you'd totally stick your penis in her.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Discussing the "doability" of videogame characters is why there's such a stigma to thinking female videogame characters are beautiful. Because it's never about them being beautiful.

This sums up the topic completely.

Thread over.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Will MMO's ever have a system allowing you to scan in a photo of someone and then rendering it 'biometrically' in order to effectively allow you to play as anyone you want. Probably with the option of adding a larger chest....?

Obviously more appropriate in an Aion sort of detailed creation where the char is humani(sh). I know, for example, there are probably enough options there to imitate my gf - I simply lack the skill to do so.

(Yes, phil, you may try on wednesday)

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I agree that the human brain is incapable of processing digital representations of women as beautiful.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

If that logic applied, then there would be an identical stigma with respect to actual females being beautiful.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This differs from real life... how?

Houn on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll add Princess Toadstool was very unattractive in Super Mario Bros. Her lips stuck out an inch away from her face and her eye was placed in her forehead. Mario would do better flinging woo at a goomba.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Do you publicly announce that this woman over here is ripe for penis sticking and that you also need a change of pants?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Do you publicly announce that this woman over here is ripe for penis sticking and that you also need a change of pants?

If yes, follow-up question: do you hang out with Trevor because he got a new beer bong

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Thread over.

:?

Have you ever had the thought, "Wow, that girl is gorgeous! Look at her fine features, her slender soft body, her long hair, her pretty dress," and NOT have some random part of your brain scream, "I'd hit it?" Even for a nano second? That makes no sense at all.

Men have this thing called testosterone, it's rather important for the survival of the species.

Some men have lower desire, or mental control/preference that doesn't include women, but beauty and sex are very much the same topic.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    True beauty tends to go beyond just "i'd stick my dick in that" though

I mean, as a corollary, yes, you probably would stick your dick in that, but you'd stick your dick in a lot of things. You see what I mean

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Define "public". It's pretty common among guys to talk about how hot some chick is, real or virtual, among themselves. Only the most crass will shout it out in a crowded room. Every damn one of them will joke about it with their buddies.

Sex is a powerful motivator in our society, and influences many of our behavioral patterns.

Houn on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

I aim to please.

wip6.jpg

233659-tifa_large.jpg

Rydia and Celes had skimpier outfits, though they were also sprites.

Though not really in topic, that poster pic is one of the defining reasons that a remake needs to happen.

At least in that instance you can talk about Tifa being hot and then not be ashamed about it.

Edit: Also, the guys behind AC said they purposely gave the characters an anime-style look so as to avoid the Uncanny Valley feel, which is why I prefer the look to AC over, say, Spirits Within. Aki's bubble butt was a bit off putting.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Define "public". It's pretty common among guys to talk about how hot some chick is, real or virtual, among themselves. Only the most crass will shout it out in a crowded room. Every damn one of them will joke about it with their buddies.

Sex is a powerful motivator in our society, and influences many of our behavioral patterns.

Well, seeing as how I see this on public forums constantly, publicly in this case would probably be shouting it for all to hear. And then having all your friends join in. And then wondering why some people are uncomfortable.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, seeing as how I see this on public forums constantly, publicly in this case would probably be shouting it for all to hear. And then having all your friends join in. And then wondering why some people are uncomfortable.

The Internet is a completely different kind of "public", and you already know why. ;-)
    215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

Besides, your point was that no one takes virtual female beauty seriously, because it's all about sexual attraction. I pointed out that it's no different in real life. Whether or not people have tact on the internet seems to have nothing to do with it.

Also, if you're going to break up "beauty" and "physical attraction", you need to state as much, and draw a line between them. No one else in this thread has bothered to make a ruling on that; the op itself is very focused on the attraction aspect.

Houn on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The real question is: do gay dudes consider videogame characters to be "beautiful" or "hot"?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Thread over.

:?

Have you ever had the thought, "Wow, that girl is gorgeous! Look at her fine features, her slender soft body, her long hair, her pretty dress," and NOT have some random part of your brain scream, "I'd hit it?" Even for a nano second? That makes no sense at all.

Men have this thing called testosterone, it's rather important for the survival of the species.

Some men have lower desire, or mental control/preference that doesn't include women, but beauty and sex are very much the same topic.

Yeah, sure

But that's not what goes into developers' brains when they make (insert name) girl in whatever game. It's about making some fucking cash, and what sells better than sex appeal?

99% of women designed for games bank on this idea, and that's being generous. Very rarely has there been a female lead without even the slimmest trace of sex appeal put into the design, and it's almost nonexistent when it comes to a villianess. The suits control the studios, and I can guarantee every time they're going to appeal to a broader demographic than the artsy crowd.

Godfather on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I agree that the human brain is incapable of processing digital representations of women as beautiful.

Explain. Is the brain also incapable of finding oil paint renderings of women beautiful?

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, if you want to talk about that, no one takes virtual beauty seriously because it is all about physical attraction. Women in videogames are usually designed with the express purpose of giving you an erection. Sex in games is meant for the same exploitative purpose.

It's extremely juvenile, but it sells. It extends to all forms of media, of course, but in other mediums, people do try to do more with it and people can and do take that seriously.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Explain. Is the brain also incapable of finding oil paint renderings of women beautiful?

There is no such thing as beauty.

MY DICK COMMANDS ME!

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    The real question is: do gay dudes consider videogame characters to be "beautiful" or "hot"?

Get Pony in here and he can tell us for both genders

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay I'll be honest with you Heartlash I am fakeposting like all get out :<

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, if you want to talk about that, no one takes virtual beauty seriously because it is all about physical attraction. Women in videogames are usually designed with the express purpose of giving you an erection. Sex in games is meant for the same exploitative purpose.

It's extremely juvenile, but it sells. It extends to all forms of media, of course, but in other mediums, people do try to do more with it and people can and do take that seriously.

Well that just comes with the territory of majority developers being male, and majority demographic being young men. I don't think that's a condemnation of the medium, though. Mature developers with a less pubescent target audience can absolutely produce sophisticated work.

Let's look at Oblivion, where characters are designed with pretty much no emphasis on sex appeal. I don't know if I'd call any of the character work "beautiful" in the context that this thread has discussed beauty, but the mis en scene certainly is.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    200704030020_1082742.jpg

Shit, real, etc.

Person cosplays character so well that character is now essentially human. Graphics soon to reach this level. What now? Discuss.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »

Get Pony in here and he can tell us for both genders

Didn't you hear? After the stroke, pony had to choose a side.
    He chose his left side

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Let's look at Oblivion, where characters are designed with pretty much no emphasis on sex appeal. I don't know if I'd call any of the character work "beautiful" in the context that this thread has discussed beauty, but the mis en scene certainly is.

With their lazy animations, lazy female models made to fit the male skeleton used to animate the models, and the character creator, I don't think Bethesda has it in them to put forth the effort to make anything with sex appeal, male or female.

They have a hard enough time making something look human.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    creeper was pretty hot

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Very rarely has there been a female lead without even the slimmest trace of sex appeal put into the design, and it's almost nonexistent when it comes to a villianess.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're talking about Kreia. The only example anyone can ever think off to meet this criteria.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kreia was pretty unappealing!

Chell wasn't terribly attractive, either.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Exhibit B

81753-20-789675.jpg

We're really not far off these sorts of graphics.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You mean Nintendo graphics?

We're very far off from that.

(ba dump dish).

• Options
    edited October 2009
    You mean Nintendo graphics?

We're very far off from that.

(ba dump dish).

Well, have fun figuring out who leads the graphical race next generation. I'm still trying to figure it out this cycle.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I can tell you who's leading the cash race, which would be Nintendo.

Graphics race? Clearly not a priority for them.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I can tell you who's leading the cash race, which would be Nintendo.

Graphics race? Clearly not a priority for them.

Yeah, I do suppose that would be kind of a turn-around.

Still, not impossible I say. I mean, Gamecube...and....stuff.

Okay, maybe impossible.

Synthesis on
This discussion has been closed.