As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F*cking the Peach, and other stories.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't get me wrong, it's not like I demand super expensive, MGS4 quality graphics from Nintendo.

But good sweet lord, at least output a resolution past 480p.

Moving on.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't get me wrong, it's not like I demand super expensive, MGS4 quality graphics from Nintendo.

But good sweet lord, at least output a resolution past 480p.

Moving on.

I think it'll happen. The 480p, I mean.

Then again, I also thought motion detection was a stupid feature, and here we are a few years later. So I could be wrong again.

Moving on. Is "Fucking the Peach" an expression for something, or just a humorous title? This is one of the things that sucks about learning English later in life. They never cover things like this.
    A simple :winky: or :? will suffice.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do not think Exibit B is a good example Flippy

Exibit A is something you could make a good arguement for.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Very rarely has there been a female lead without even the slimmest trace of sex appeal put into the design, and it's almost nonexistent when it comes to a villianess.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're talking about Kreia. The only example anyone can ever think off to meet this criteria.
    5-shodan-din-system-shock.jpg
    glados.jpg
    mgs3-5.jpg

Hell, I can think of as many good female villains in games as I can think of good male villains. Of course, half of those female villains are computer programs, and games don't have very many iconic villains to begin with.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Two of those are robots. Really?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The thing is though that The Boss will break your dick off and eat it for survival food if you call her ugly.

It's the REAL reason Big Boss was sterile.

Fair warning.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    Very rarely has there been a female lead without even the slimmest trace of sex appeal put into the design, and it's almost nonexistent when it comes to a villianess.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're talking about Kreia. The only example anyone can ever think off to meet this criteria.
    glados.jpg
    mgs3-5.jpg

Hell, I can think of as many good female villains in games as I can think of good male villains. Of course, half of those female villains are computer programs, and games don't have very many iconic villains to begin with.
    472832-miriam_large.png

Yes, she was a villain. If you played any other faction, you'd inevitably find out she was, very quickly.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    glados.jpg

Boom!

At least four people's minds blew when they saw that.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, Faith from Mirror's Edge comes to mind. I mean, she's a chick in a blank tank top and sweat pants. Hell, she practically gets points for having something smaller than a B cup.

edit: I'm also pretty sure Princess Peach doesn't have that sex appeal thing going on. (yes, I've played Super Princess Peach)

edit2: Re - GlaDOS image. Unless the developers have specifically stated that they used an image like that for reference, I'm just of the opinion that the human mind sees what it wants to see. If we look for something to be there, we'll find something. Just like pattern recognition and such.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

glados.jpg
    mgs3-5.jpg

That first one is a terrible arguement. The golden ratio is present and accounted for.

The second is a machine. We're sticking with actual humans for this arguement.

The third one is something you might have grounds for. Go with that.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

glados.jpg
    mgs3-5.jpg

472832-miriam_large.png

Yes, she was a villain. If you played any other faction, you'd inevitably find out she was, very quickly.

Merideth from The Office? Really?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

glados.jpg
    mgs3-5.jpg

472832-miriam_large.png

Merideth from The Office? Really?

I'm not familiar with the US version of The Office, so I looked this up....I was kind of disappointed. Coincidences are always humorous, at least to me.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/helldiver_albums/eye%20candies/200704030020_1082742.jpg[/IMG]

Shit, real, etc.

Person cosplays character so well that character is now essentially human. Graphics soon to reach this level. What now? Discuss.

That person can cosplay so well they can do the things the character can? Hot-damn.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    Discussing the "doability" of videogame characters is why there's such a stigma to thinking female videogame characters are beautiful. Because it's never about them being beautiful.

It's about how you'd totally stick your penis in her.

This sums up the topic completely.

Thread over.

:?

Have you ever had the thought, "Wow, that girl is gorgeous! Look at her fine features, her slender soft body, her long hair, her pretty dress," and NOT have some random part of your brain scream, "I'd hit it?" Even for a nano second? That makes no sense at all
    I mean except for going into the creepy details, yes? You don't? Haven't? Whatevern't?

Well, with a thread title like "Fucking the Peach", I for one assumed we weren't looking into this too deep. However, it could be because I'm an uncultured philistine, no appreciation for artistic form, throw away my plastic lawn flamingo, etc.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Beyond_Good_&_Evil_Artwork_Jade_Version.png

I always thought Jade from BG&E was a beautiful character, and not in a 'I'd totally do her' way. The attention that was put into her expressions is what did this for me. When she smiled, I felt like smiling. When she was upset, I would feel a little of that too. I think that kind of empathy is a large factor for beauty.

Drake on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Well, Faith from Mirror's Edge comes to mind. I mean, she's a chick in a blank tank top and sweat pants. Hell, she practically gets points for having something smaller than a B cup.

Never played Mirror's Edge, but why would she get "points" for that? You get points for being an interesting and entertaining character with well-written lines.

Only liking characters with small breasts is exactly as stupid as only liking characters with large ones. A good female character would still be good no matter what clothes you dressed her up in.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He's saying a female character that doesn't have tits swinging like rope ladders is refreshing.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *Tifa Cosplay Wallpaper*

Shit, real, etc.

Person cosplays character so well that character is now essentially human. Graphics soon to reach this level. What now? Discuss.

Hey, it's that pic!

That was my PS3 wallpaper for like a year.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kor wrote: »

Never played Mirror's Edge, but why would she get "points" for that? You get points for being an interesting and entertaining character with well-written lines.

Only liking characters with small breasts is exactly as stupid as only liking characters with large ones. A good female character would still be good no matter what clothes you dressed her up in.

What Pancake said. I'm saying she very obviously wasn't designed to be spank bank material.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A lot of people have brought this up, and I'm curious to hear people's views on this, so...

Why is it that a character designed to be sexy or arousing has less merit than one who is designed to be beautiful? Is it easier to make a sexy character (= shorthand for a character that was designed with sex appeal in mind) than it is to make a beautiful character? If so, is it so much easier that the sexy characters should be disqualified from a topic on beauty in games?

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    A lot of people have brought this up, and I'm curious to hear people's views on this, so...

Why is it that a character designed to be sexy or arousing has less merit than one who is designed to be beautiful? Is it easier to make a sexy character (= shorthand for a character that was designed with sex appeal in mind) than it is to make a beautiful character? If so, is it so much easier that the sexy characters should be disqualified from a topic on beauty in games?

I... suppose it wouldn't detract from either character that they were designed with physical appearance first in the artists mind?

But when you have that same artist doing the writing for them, defining their personality, that would certainly detract from them as a character.

Sepah on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    IMO most videogame (or comic) characters designed to be sexy are generic and boring: (unnaturally) big breasts, long legs, long hair, tight clothes, small waist. They're all variations on the same template, which I find pretty uninteresting.

The characters that people would call 'beautiful' tend to have more going for them than being stereotypical sexpots. They tend to have more interesting writing or simply better characterisation. They may have elements that are unexpected. Rather than just wanting to 'do' them, you want to get to know them (the way you want to get to know a fictional character).

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's because they're easy and thrown in to appeal to young boys to buy the game and it degrades the common view of video games or at least female portrayal in video games as a whole

see:

hubbahubba.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of female villains, who found Bodhi sexy? I mean...Ugh.

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Thirith has it right, at least in my opinion. At least on the surface, beauty is done in art for the sake of beauty: now that might not always be true for artists, but historically art has never been a profession that a human being would enroll themselves in for the sake of making money. (That's changed recently, but imagine Van Gogh or any number of other artists in history, known and unknown)

Art's beauty was created for the sake of aesthetics, and sometimes as part of something that they wanted people to consider "moving" in some thematic way.

Sadly, some unfortunately highly-exposed examples of video games had characters that were made for a different set of reasons: to appeal to a target demographic via exploitation of sexual stereotypes for example. In the end, the motive for that comes down to money.

So to me, when I see the art examples in the OP, my thoughts are of aesthetics... but when I see examples like the one MGS2D just posted above, I think "boy, they were out to hit their demographic hard, weren't they?" For some it might be conscious, and for some it might be subconscious, but I think a lot of people who don't call some portrayals of people in video games "art" is because of that blatent capitalistic/pandering overtone.

Which is a shame, because for every game like the one portrayed in the post above, there's probably a dozen or more who actually DO create art for aesthetics, and treat their art as something more than a means to a demographically targeted end. Those I unabashedly *would* consider art. And there's a lot of good examples... they just don't get seen by the "general public" (NOTE: by general public, I mean "soccer moms who hear about the content of video games via Fox News) as much as the "video game featuring women with breasts that would make them unable to walk properly".

I guess to me, Art is as much about motive as it is about content.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Art's beauty was created for the sake of aesthetics, and sometimes as part of something that they wanted people to consider "moving" in some thematic way.

Sadly, some unfortunately highly-exposed examples of video games had characters that were made for a different set of reasons: to appeal to a target demographic via exploitation of sexual stereotypes for example. In the end, the motive for that comes down to money.

So to me, when I see the art examples in the OP, my thoughts are of aesthetics... but when I see examples like the one MGS2D just posted above, I think "boy, they were out to hit their demographic hard, weren't they?" For some it might be conscious, and for some it might be subconscious, but I think a lot of people who don't call some portrayals of people in video games "art" is because of that blatent capitalistic/pandering overtone.
    But couldn't someone argue that those sexual stereotypes represent that demographic's idea of beauty? I mean, sure that idea of beauty is commonly called "sexy" or "slutty," but if I try to consider this question outside of the scope of language, I can't see a reason why one should be considered worse.

In the alternate reality where realistically-proportioned, reasonably dressed female characters are incredibly successful money-makers; would you be unable to like any of those characters?

(I don't know where I'm going with this.)

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But couldn't someone argue that those sexual stereotypes represent that demographic's idea of beauty? I mean, sure that idea of beauty is commonly called "sexy" or "slutty," but if I try to consider this question outside of the scope of language, I can't see a reason why one should be considered worse.

In the alternate reality where realistically-proportioned, reasonably dressed female characters are incredibly successful money-makers; would you be unable to like any of those characters?

(I don't know where I'm going with this.)

I'd say there is, at least, a very fine line a lot of the time. Isn't it generally held that society as a whole has unrealistic standards of beauty? I mean, it's not going to stop in a medium that is entirely driven by creativity, and not limited by things like human actors for the most part.

Given that, as a whole, video game characters tend to be simplified simply for the sake of convenience, timing, and clarity, you're talking characters who trend towards the simplistic anyway in multiple respects. Though I think you could say the same about most things in fictional media.

At the same time, people enjoy finding things to pick apart, so I'm sure even if we had a market of video games with realistically-proportioned, reasonably dressed female characters, we'd simply move right onto dissecting the flawed personalities they shared with male characters. Which is not a bad thing--in fact, it might be the only thing that is holding developers and writers to make more complex characters in a time where costs are getting higher and higher...

There's no shortage of stuff to point out, but physical appearance is the most obvious because, well, you can see it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    glados.jpg

Boom!

At least four people's minds blew when they saw that.

Goddamnit

Can't unsee it

Delzhand on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought Kreia was quite attractive.

Also, why would anybody put in a deliberately unattractive female character unless that was a specific feature of the character? Idealised versions of women are virtually always beautiful (consider Hollywood, Renaissance paintings, etc).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I find a shitload of female characters in videogames to be attractive. But I'm 15 and my body is filled with pent up sex cravings.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    There's a difference between attractive and "Her boobs are literally bigger than her head. What?"

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I almost bought Magna Carta for the epic titties. Almost.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Kreia would best be played in a film adaptation by Kate Mulgrew

wholly irrelevant, but I wanted to express this thought

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wrong

So wrong

Holy fuck you're as wrong as can be

Dame Judi Dench. Accept no substitute.

Robman on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maggie Smith?

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wrong style, not nearly arrogant enough

Robman on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wrong style, not nearly arrogant enough

I don't know, I think Judi Dench is a bit too forceful for Kreia. She specifically says that she is not a leader, and whenever I see Judi Dench I automatically think "uh oh it's royalty". Some other Grand Old Dame of English Acting, surely?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kreia says she's not a leader, but she always talks as if she were. Judi Dench is perfect.

On that note, more Judi Dench like characters in video games.

Houn on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want an FPS where Judi Dench is the main character and makes snappy remarks whenever you ruthlessly murder a zombie demon.

And she rides through cosmic storms on the back of a great skeletal dragon voiced by Sir Ian McKellen.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kreia says she's not a leader, but she always talks as if she were. Judi Dench is perfect.

On that note, more Judi Dench like characters in video games.

That's because she's holding all the cards. Kreia is entirely correct in saying she's not a leader, she lacks charisma. She just makes sure she has information people want and keeps people on the off foot so they have no choice but to subordinate themselves to her.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
This discussion has been closed.