As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DoW2]: A whole new kind of "March Madness" is rising...

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am so confused that johnny ebbert bailed. MY WORLD IS IN RUINS

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Iblis wrote: »
    New Interview. Confirmed vehicle wreckage, melee/ranged stances, and it's confirmed that owners of DoW2 will get the new units for the existing races with out having to buy the expansion.

Nice.
    Relic - One thing to point out is the new units will be available to everyone, including Dawn of War II owners. With one exception, they will add to the army, not replace existing units. I won’t say what unit is replacing what, because I want to fan the flames of speculation.

What do you is getting replaced? I'm calling that Guardians with Dire Avengers, as more or less a pallet swap.

I hope assault marines are getting replaced with something more useful.

I thought they're pretty useful. They do nasty things to ranged and suppression squads, and whilst they're not directly melee they can handily tie up melee squads whilst your Tac squads get their shots in.

It slows your progression to T2 but realistically I find them useful through a whole match depending on the opponent. Then again, I tend to prefer apothecary and double-knockback is nothing to be sneezed at.

In general, I build ASM pretty much as mandatory when playing against other Space Marines. Other sides it depends, usually on whether they've got suppression teams giving me problems, or if I need to tie down melee blobs (although often a devastator squad might be better there). Infiltrated Scouts are decent, but if they've got a detector it's just not going to work. And every Eldar player makes sure to bring their detector unit with them now. :P

I find there are better options and in most cases just walking around the platforms are better. They are alright but I find the points are better spent on other things especially with how much they cost.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only valid use for Assault Marines (unless you're playing Apothecary) is the Assault Marine Clowncar.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    The only valid use for Assault Marines (unless you're playing Apothecary) is the Assault Marine Clowncar.

It is utterly hilarious when you pull it off though.

subedii on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

It is utterly hilarious when you pull it off though.

Since not everyone has an endless well of hope and/or masochism to still play this, I'm assuming that's ASM^n + Razorback = Suprise?

Also, I'm still waiting on that cookie for not fucking up the gfwl tag Zen. :P

Edito: Dayum, I didn't realize steam counts time the game is minimized as you playing. >_>

Woggle on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Would you rather have Steam watch your every move more closely?

Next time you go out shopping, it will be there. In the shadows, lurking. Monitoring every step you take.
    Be careful of what you wish for

Alegis on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did they ever make it so the Wartrukk could drive over cover like every other vehicle in the game?

rts on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait what cookie

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Did they ever make it so the Wartrukk could drive over cover like every other vehicle in the game?

They did.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Looks like the hotfix is up, and fairly large by the looks of it. I'm currently downloading at 100 KB/s And it's telling me it'll take around 35-40 minutes.

Guess I'll see if I can get a faster speed with TCP view, but I suspect it might also be to do with a lot of people downloading MW2 right now or something.

subedii on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's because 10mb becomes 300mb when Relic patches on Steam. I uninstalled CoH rather than have it hog my bandwidth a couple of weeks ago because they released a patch that meant that, on Steam, you had to redownload the entire game.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    They really ought to fix that. IIRC the reason is that it basically replaces the whole file as opposed to changing it the way a patch normally does.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mass teleporting Warp Spiders are a freaking pain. Dude kept trying to warp into my base and shut me down (managed to take down my suppressing turret). Suppression weapon kept me pinned and I couldn't really do anything other than sit there and try to keep my squads alive whilst he popped a Guardian Shield and did his work. First time my team mate came to assist. Second time, man I'm glad he didn't invest much in AV, otherwise I would've been sunk except for a Deff Dred coming in.

Base raiding really doesn't work ultimately. I think they could have won that match except that instead of maintaining map control, they kept trying to force a "win by default" by killing off one of our bases.

Third time he actually tried to take out the Eldar base instead.

So dumped a load a Roks on him. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I only really attack bases when the game is basically over anyway and my team dominates the map.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mass teleporting Warp Spiders are a freaking pain. Dude kept trying to warp into my base and shut me down (managed to take down my suppressing turret). Suppression weapon kept me pinned and I couldn't really do anything other than sit there and try to keep my squads alive whilst he popped a Guardian Shield and did his work. First time my team mate came to assist. Second time, man I'm glad he didn't invest much in AV, otherwise I would've been sunk except for a Deff Dred coming in.

Base raiding really doesn't work ultimately. I think they could have won that match except that instead of maintaining map control, they kept trying to force a "win by default" by killing off one of our bases.

Sounds like one helluva finish :winky:

SJ on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SJ wrote: »

Sounds like one 'elluva finish :winky:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SJ wrote: »

Sounds like one 'elluva finish :winky:

I may or may not have been screaming "WAAAGH!" in ecstasy at the point of impact.

Actually I was just punching the air when the game was done. Multiple D-cannons all aimed at the central VP can make for some annoying standoffs, but team-mate Warp spider jumped in and hit phase prism long enough for me to drive a Looted Tank in and hit him with a Boomgun. The shower of exclamation marks was... extremely... satisfying.

EDIT: Just re-read my last couple of sentences. Man believe it or not that was NOT intentional. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hah! Holy crap, space hulk level? Sweet.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is that some space hulk there

because I daresay that looks like some delicious space hulk.

edit: what kind of Tyranid is that at 04:22?

Alegis on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Space Hulk! Yes!

Also, looks like not taking Cyrus on a mission to save some scouts caused him to become more corrupted.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, looks like not taking Cyrus on a mission to save some scouts caused him to become more corrupted.

Heresy grows from idleness

Alegis on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    edit: what kind of Tyranid is that at 04:22?

Tyrant Guard if I'm not mistaken. Wouldn't surprise me if it replaces the Warrior Vanguard call in for the Tyrant.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I see tyrant guard and genestealers. <3

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice, I missed the Genestealers my first watch. Also: At 1:27 or so, a Chaos Sorcerer if I'm not mistaken.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    More anything close to space hulk is always good.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LIGHTNING CLAWS

PREDATOR ANNIHILATOR

I really really hope Lightning Claws are now an upgrade for Assault Terminators and the Terminator Force Commander

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    LIGHTNING CLAWS

PREDATOR ANNIHILATOR

I really really hope Lightning Claws are now an upgrade for Assault Terminators and the Terminator Force Commander

Oh god if only. That would make terminator armor useful for the commander in mp!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What the hell is this massive patch the game downloaded for?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

keylogger.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's patch 1.9 Notes are back a page

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love all the detail on the Chaos Marine helm at the last frame of that video... anyone able to tear a wallpaper out of that?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That Space Hulk was absolutely gorgeous.

SJ on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love all the detail on the Chaos Marine helm at the last frame of that video... anyone able to tear a wallpaper out of that?

It's already a wallpaper on quite a few of the machines at work. I'll see if we can get it put up on the community site.

Croak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Relic, please look at anti-building warfare.

Grenades are useless versus units in buildings. Absolutely useless. No delay in leaving/complete immunity to all damage while leaving = useless grenades.

It makes countering a heavy bolter in a building simply impossible for many races.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am quite excited about the expansion. Hopefully we'll have a good SP for this combined with an expanded last stand (I can't be bothered with the games "other" MP mode anymore).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Croak wrote: »

It's already a wallpaper on quite a few of the machines at work. I'll see if we can get it put up on the community site.

Oh god yes please more giant art to put as my wallpaper! I will give you a million emperor's space bucks if you do.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, it's good to see you are still around Croak and you're not easily scared off. You have balls of steel you do.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

Heresy grows from idleness

Which fits with the "spending too long in the Space Hulk causes corruption" objective as well. Looks pretty awesome so far, can't wait to play it.

Burnage on