As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] I hear there's a sale on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    bigbadbob wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »
    Did anyone else get in the RUSE beta?

I did, quite the interesting little RTS

Did you sign an NDA or can you tell us more? Or is this all a... ruse?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought that indie pack was just a one off promotion.

These totals are essentially "What it would cost to buy all of your stuff right now at current prices", so that one of promo pack wouldn't show up.

LewieP on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is this the last day of the 5-day sale?

exis on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    exis wrote: »

Yep

SteevL on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get KotOR to work on Windows 7 without downgrading drivers?

Pretty good sale, I got the THQ pack (was thinking of picking it up anyways and $50 off was great), KotOR, and Evil Genius. Should have picked up Borderlands while it was on sale, but I'll just wait for it get cheap or go on sale again.

kotor works fine for me in windows 7 minus the resolution stretching I mentioned in my previous post; with up to date radeon drivers.

Also, Borderlands is only $39.99 at amazon with free shipping. I imagine it'll be down to $19.99 by years end since Gearbox has made it somewhat clear they're not going to give the PC version any support/DLC.

Weird. I have a Radeon 4870 and the latest drivers (9.11) and right after the Lucasarts screen appears it goes to a black screen and nothing. I have to actually Ctrl+Alt+Del and end the process for it to go away.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh my God I registered on Steam and apparently I can't friend people and gift them if I don't have games on my account. It's like they don't want my money!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well now KotOR is "working" but I can't get the mouse to select anything. I'm guessing I need to disable hardware mouse or something like that.

Invisible on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    Oh my God I registered on Steam and apparently I can't friend people and gift them if I don't have games on my account. It's like they don't want my money!

That's easy to fix. Just add Peggle Extreme or whatever.

Or buy Audiosurf. That's good, too.

Oh. Or one of these promotions will also get you a free copy of HL2 deathmatch. ATi Nvidia

Frem on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, looks like Red Faction 2 doesn't show up in people's games list, that's what was causing the Steam Calc error.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

Yep

:(

exis on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

Yep

:(

On the bright side, you get to keep some of your money.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mirror's Edge get. Was thinking of Riddick too, but I probably wouldn't play it; something about it just feels odd to me.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    bigbadbob wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »
    Did anyone else get in the RUSE beta?

I did, quite the interesting little RTS

Did you sign an NDA or can you tell us more? Or is this all a... ruse?

No NDA or anything, just an e-mail with a code

I've played about 4 games so far, but I'm not the greatest at RTS's so that might affect my perceptions.

I like it so far, but I find it a bit slow. The units just crawl. Though it's not as slow to build stuff up as it is in say, AoEII.

Artillery seems a bit overpowered. Just a hail of death from across the map.

The ruses are pretty cool. Basically the map is divided into sectors and you can deploy ruses in these sectors - radio silence turns all your units invisible, terror makes enemies retreat, spies show invisible enemy units, etc.

Aircraft don't seem particularly useful. I've repelled pretty much every air attack (unless it's, literally, 15 or more units) with just 2 anti-air vehicles.

It probably works with a more tactical approach, but I'm so used to Red Alert 2 so it's just "tank rush gogogo!" except the tanks are so goddamn slow you can't really call it a rush.

edit: and people need to turn off their fucking mics. I don't need to hear the sports channel and you talking on the phone to someone for the entire game, you douchebag.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »

That's easy to fix. Just add Peggle Extreme or whatever.

Or buy Audiosurf. That's good, too.

Oh. Or one of these promotions will also get you a free copy of HL2 deathmatch. ATi Nvidia

Full list

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Going through my purchase history on Steam, it appears that other than COH: Opposing Fronts, I've never paid full price for a game.

I'm easily swayed by promotions and cheap prices. :(

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From the old thread:

Must....fight...urge....to buy.....THQ Pack..... I've already bought half a dozen games (plus more if I cave to Evil and ME today)....damn you Saints Row 2, why couldn't I have bought you 1 month ago when you were like $9.
    I caved in...

I got Saint's Row 2 for my unused 360, and all the WH40k stuff...never played Company of Heroes and Red faction though. So I think it's worth it.

Plus Saints row on the PC should be fun.

Damn sales holiday set me back bout 60 Euros..could have been worse.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ho-kay, I just booted up Riddick and the controls are fucked. I can strafe to the left, but that's about it. I can't move forward or anything. Why is this?
    Also, the lip syncing is horrid, but <3 Vin Diesel

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is Mirror's Edge worth $5?

easily. Id say its worth 10-20 even. Theres not a whole lot of replay unless you like "Challenge mode"'s. But the singleplayer campaign is fun enough.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Argh, I hate when leaderboards are full of cheaters. Top time on the first Mirror's Edge map: 3 seconds.

Really? You couldn't shave those off with your lies?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're just lucky they left room for those 2- and 1-seconders.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is Mirror's Edge worth $5?

No. Mirror's Edge is worth $60, if not more. Therefore, so that the universe stays in harmony and doesn't spiral into chaos, you need to purchase the $5 Mirror's Edge at least a dozen times.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah that's why I only ever look at friend leaderboards in games that have them.

I got the new Transformers game the day it came out and got lucky and got all the leaderboard achievements before anyone else got home and got on there; literally the next day the leaderboards were full of people finishing missions in .01 seconds and shit like that.

It might have been cleaned up by now, I dunno, but it's stupid. And more companies should be a bit more proactive in preventing/removing that trash.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, I didn't give a care to Mirrors edge at all when it came out or was in the process of coming out. After playing it for a couple hours I'm hooked. I wish they could make other first person shooters feel as physical as this when you run around. Its adds so much to the game when it feels like there is a lot of weight to your run and jumps and landings.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't give a care to Mirrors edge at all when it came out or was in the process of coming out. After playing it for a couple hours I'm hooked. I wish they could make other first person shooters feel as physical as this when you run around. Its adds so much to the game when it feels like there is a lot of weight to your run and jumps and landings.

Yeah, the only other games I can think of that have near that good body awareness are Crysis and Call of Juarez, neither of which get the feeling of movement quite as good

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, Mirror's Edge is definitely worth 5 bucks. I never would agree it's worth 60, though; the combination of lame story, very mediocre cutscenes, and controls which are sometimes inexplicably unresponsive really knock down the enjoyment level a LOT. When I hit the third or fourth time that I fall to my death at the same spot because Faith simply will not grab a ledge or flagpole that she's supposed to grab, my enjoyment becomes seriously impaired. Also, the main game is pretty short.

Hopefully we'll get a quality sequel, though. AC2 was an unexpectedly massive improvement over the original, so maybe we'll get a Mirror's Edge 2 that actually does build on the good from the original and get rid of the bad. At the very least, a longer campaign and a few dozen trial maps would be a big help.

Even with it's shortcomings, Mirror's Edge really is worth it even for a single play of campaign.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, Mirror's Edge is definitely worth 5 bucks. I never would agree it's worth 60, though; the combination of lame story, very mediocre cutscenes, and controls which are sometimes inexplicably unresponsive really knock down the enjoyment level a LOT. When I hit the third or fourth time that I fall to my death at the same spot because Faith simply will not grab a ledge or flagpole that she's supposed to grab, my enjoyment becomes seriously impaired. Also, the main game is pretty short.

The way I look at it, Mirror's Edge is one of the greatest racing games ever made. Do I care about story in racing games? Not particularly (although I thought Mirror's Edge's story & cutscenes were decent). Is Mirror's Edge short from a racing game perspective? No, because like any good racing game, the developers didn't intend for people to just play through the levels once.

The control issue is annoying, although I think it's more of a problem with level design than controls. There's this one section almost at the very end of an early level where Faith just won't grab a certain pipe unless you do very strange things - how that ever got past playtesting I'll never know.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, okay.

I get it Mirror's Edge, I get it. PhysX wants to show off their stuff and all. But fucking hell, what horrendous bloat did you need to include to make glass shattering slow things to a slideshow? Everything else: lovely. The instant a bullet impacts glass? Kaput.

I guess I can't have the wonder that is PhysX, even though I have 3 extra processors ready and waiting. Christ.

Edit: Hunh. Weird. I assume you don't have the card, or you wouldn't bother mentioning it. Well, maybe it's some combination of settings... hm. Well, I think I can live without 40,000 individual glass panes.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My framerate doesn't slow down at all from PhysX. Which is pretty great. If it did though I really wouldn't hesitate to leave it off, it doesn't add much.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's this one section almost at the very end of an early level where Faith just won't grab a certain pipe unless you do very strange things - how that ever got past playtesting I'll never know.

God damn that pipe.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am positively hooked on Evil Genius. Been playing it all day long.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    My framerate doesn't slow down at all from PhysX. Which is pretty great. If it did though I really wouldn't hesitate to leave it off, it doesn't add much.

Yeah, physx didn't really make that much of an impact. Nor did changing the resolution, or even the textures (except for the super ultra high ones). For that matter, AA didn't even hurt performance that much. But that damn visual quality slide made it a slideshow until I turned it down

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mirror's Edge is pretty fun.

But dear god at the voice acting.

Also, I have some very serious loathing towards the whole "tattooed rebels with to'ly cool nicknames" thing this game has going for it. This game is just trying way too hard to be cool and awesome and streetcred-a-licious.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge is pretty fun.

But dear god at the voice acting.

Also, I have some very serious loathing towards the whole "tattooed rebels with to'ly cool nicknames" thing this game has going for it. This game is just trying way too hard to be cool and awesome and streetcred-a-licious.

Well, it was made by a piece of EA which, even though it has made great strides in the last couple of years, is still an evil, heartless beast at its core. All the self-righteousness of the runners was pretty stupid considering you can knock a cop off a roof and Faith doesn't even go "oh no!" For all the cops know, you really are dangerous criminal and constantly running from them certainly wouldn't help that impression.

But no, kick that cop right off the ledge. It's not he's just doing his job.

Also, the cutscene style wouldn't have been that bad except for the story, the voice-acting, and, most importantly, the amateur Flash animation. Would it have really been that tough to track down a couple of people competent in the medium and hire them?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Geeeez. I just want to run KotOR at 1776x1000, but that guide posted earlier is just confusing as hell. There's got to be a more simple way! Any ideas?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Geeeez. I just want to run KotOR at 1776x1000, but that guide posted earlier is just confusing as hell. There's got to be a more simple way! Any ideas?

I looked around and found this. Hopefully it helps:
    Running Knights of the Old Republic at 1776x1000

1. Get some unicorn tail hair. If you don't breed your own unicorns, then you're going to have to find a virgin and get her to sit by a shimmering pool in the forest. If a unicorn doesn't turn up soon, try different shimmering pools, or even different forests, until you have some success. You'll need a magical lassoo to get the unicorn under control. Please note, the unicorn won't be happy that you're taking its tail hair, but if you can hold on long enough to get a few strands, that should be enough.

2. Next, you need some elf blood. This is much harder to get, and if you don't know any willing elves, I'm not sure what the best course of action is. Perhaps find some on eBay, or ask around and see if anyone you know has an elf friend that they could convince.

3. You'll need a cast iron cauldron, and these can be had for around $50 if you search for a decent deal. Don't go in for the non-slip type. Cauldrons work a lot better if you get something solid and keep all of the residue in them, instead of washing it away, and non-slip coatings don't help with this.

4. After soaking the unicorn hair in the elf blood for three moons, place it in the cauldron with about three cups of water, and a printed copy of your Knights of the Old Republic config file.

5. Once brought to the boil, stir the mixture three times CLOCKWISE (Very important), and it should turn red and bubble slightly. At this point, if you run the game, it should be in 1776x1000.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Slightly less complicated than my previous findings. Thank you.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ahhh, the old unicorn trick!

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, the only other games I can think of that have near that good body awareness are Crysis and Call of Juarez, neither of which get the feeling of movement quite as good

Riddick. :P

Then again, TAGES.

Echo on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

Riddick. :P

Then again, TAGES.
    I sure hope one of you meant to say Dark Messiah. Because if you didn't.

Monger on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Never actually played Dark Messiah apart from the demo.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.