Options

[STEAM] I hear there's a sale on

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    Spent several hours and made significant upgrades to the calculator. It now includes packages built into the list. It's the most accurate Steam Calculator on the internet!

I guess the calculator requires your browser to the steam community site? Because it's firewalled here at work and I'm guessing that's why it says I have zero games?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Barrabas wrote: »
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    Holy crap. I've spent 649.76 in just under a year on steam games.... I need to disconnect my computer from the interwebs.

I hope you got most of those on deals, because I've spent less than that in the 6 or 7 years (I don't remember exactly how long) I've had steam. Granted, when I first started steam was just an annoying program I had to put up with for no apparent reason to play Counterstrike, and not the awesome download service it is today.

I've spent around $703 since the first game I ever bought. Though that page can't be right, I didn't buy the Half-Life Complete pack, just HL2 then later the HL Anthology. However, it's close enough. That's a lot of money spent on a hobby.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think in reality it's less "How much you've spent on steam" and more "how much is your steam account worth" as in, if you lost your account, how much would it cost to replace it all?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Lagnar wrote: »
    So Zeno Clash is 66% off until December 3rd. While I still havent been able to play it, from what I've heard 5.10$ sounds like a good deal.

How does this game hold up past the demo levels? The demo was pretty visceral and had a really good feel to beating things. Does it last the whole way or does it get dumb?
    [/url]

The whole way.

Jintor on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    Holy crap. I've spent 649.76 in just under a year on steam games.... I need to disconnect my computer from the interwebs.

I hope you got most of those on deals, because I've spent less than that in the 6 or 7 years (I don't remember exactly how long) I've had steam. Granted, when I first started steam was just an annoying program I had to put up with for no apparent reason to play Counterstrike, and not the awesome download service it is today.

I've spent around $703 since the first game I ever bought. Though that page can't be right, I didn't buy the Half-Life Complete pack, just HL2 then later the HL Anthology. However, it's close enough. That's a lot of money spent on a hobby.

Yeah the packages will get mixed up. I got a package that had half-life, both expansions, ricochet, team fortress, counter-strike, DoD, etc ... years ago. All those games are now mixed up with other packages I never bought. It'd be pretty near impossible to account for all the random packages valve has done though.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Crunching some numbers, it appears I've only spent 62% of what the Steam Calculator says my account's currently worth. (Says $444.89, it's $274.29.) It (understandably) fails to account for packages that no longer exist/were temporary, which is where a few of my games come from.

I guess it's all right, but when you see the actual total it's still kind of impressive. Small sales/promotions add up like crazy.
    And I haven't finished a few of those games. D:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Drovek wrote: »
    And I haven't finished a few of those games. D:

You think you feel bad about that. Thanks to the direct2drive $5 sales a while back I have a bunch of games on my computer I haven't even started. I don't think I have any self control when it comes to things discounted to $5 or so. I see it and go, "well maybe I'd like to play it later" and buy it. I'm pretty sure I'll never play Elven Legacy, but I own it ...

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Taking those packages into account only shaved off $100 for me.

And I'm happy for ya Zeno Clash, and Imma let ya finish. But Dark Massiah is the best source based melee game evar!

EDIT: yeah, it's an illness. The only game from the D2D $5 sale month ago that I've gotten around to downloading is titans quest

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys...guess what? D2D is having their sale again. This time it's 24-day sale, 1 game each day. Today's game is Mirror's Edge for $5, and tomorow's game is The Witcher.

EDIT: D2D UK has different deals; Trine for today and Street Fighter IV tomorrow.

Catshade on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Suds wrote: »
    Spent several hours and made significant upgrades to the calculator. It now includes packages built into the list. It's the most accurate Steam Calculator on the internet!

I guess the calculator requires your browser to the steam community site? Because it's firewalled here at work and I'm guessing that's why it says I have zero games?

No, what name are you entering?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So Riddick is basically unplayable for me. Movement is really erratic. I'll hold down W and he'll take half a step then stop. I let go and press again, he'll take three steps and stop. It's intensely frustrating

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Catshade wrote: »
    Hey guys...guess what? D2D is having their sale again. This time it's 24-day sale, 1 game each day. Today's game is Mirror's Edge for $5, and tomorow's game is The Witcher.

EDIT: D2D UK has different deals; Trine for today and Street Fighter IV tomorrow.

I would be interested if I'd had anything but trouble with the D2D downloader. My download of Bioshock kept resetting itself back to ~20%. Which is not cool when you're on a monthly cap and leave things to download while you're out.

exis on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If the witcher is 5$. SOLD.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Catshade wrote: »

No no ... crap ... It's going to happen again. If they're all $5 I'm about to get an even larger backlog. I'm going to try and resist rpg's because I'll never finish them. But ... the witcher was on my to get eventually list too. Crap.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zeno Clash worth $5? Then again I spent $5 on Lost planet when it was on sale so I guess i don't really need a lot of convincing. I've never heard anyone talking about the game though. How is it?

EDIT: My only problem wit h D2D is that every single time I launch Bioshock I have to reinsert my game key which means going back to d2ds site and to my account page just to get a code to launch a game. It saves my progress just isn't apparently able to tell that I own the game

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Zeno Clash worth $5? Then again I spent $5 on Lost planet when it was on sale so I guess i don't really need a lot of convincing. I've never heard anyone talking about the game though. How is it?

EDIT: My only problem wit h D2D is that every single time I launch Bioshock I have to reinsert my game key which means going back to d2ds site and to my account page just to get a code to launch a game. It saves my progress just isn't apparently able to tell that I own the game

The game is worth full price, let alone $5. Get it, you'll be glad you did. Also, check the Zeno Clash thread which recently resurfaced due to these sales for more impressions of the game.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Taking those packages into account only shaved off $100 for me.

And I'm happy for ya Zeno Clash, and Imma let ya finish. But Dark Massiah is the best source based melee game evar!
    I would like to agree with you. I really would. I do love me some Dark Messiah, and Zeno Clash doesn't quite have the physicality or momentum that Dark Messiah's movement does.

But Zeno Clash's brawling mechanics are so much deeper than any of Dark Messiah's action elements.

edit: Yes, Zeno Clash was absolutely worth the full $20. I kind of regret getting the preorder discount, in the way that many of us regret not rebuying The Witcher when EE came out.

Monger on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Plus Zeno Clash has a more interesting world, better music and isn't buggy as all fuck. All Dark Messiah has is kicking dudes into curiously conveniently placed spikes and off cliffs.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Personally I really dislike the aesthetics of Zeno Clash. The brawling is awesome though.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh Goddamit, I don't want to install d2d for the Witcher.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »

You don't install anything, you just make an account and download it. There is an installer, but I'm pretty sure it's optional.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Personally I really dislike the aesthetics of Zeno Clash. The brawling is awesome though.

I didn't like how everyone looked like a homeless person but I thought everything else was kinda nice. At least it wasn't the same old shit.

Also, I noticed on Steam that the new AvP game is supposedly coming out in Feb. 2010? Why hasn't anyone mentioned this? If it plays like the previous AvP games but looks as good as it's screenshots then we should all be so excited that the resulting boner punches a hole in our desk.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You don't install anything, you just make an account and download it. There is an installer, but I'm pretty sure it's optional.

Oh was under the impression that it worked like steam.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nope. It's just games protected by their individual DRM backend, which pretty much amounts to putting in a key the first time you run it.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's tomorrow in the UK I suppose..

http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/holiday/

$25 for SFIV, I guess they aren't sticking with the $5 deals this time around, just offering discounts.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I have that problem, too. I eventually just created a text document on my desktop with all my manual/offline/whatever activation codes (it's displayed when you activate the game).

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nope. It's just games protected by their individual DRM backend, which pretty much amounts to putting in a key the first time you run it.

I've had a real problem with activation from D2D where it seems to lose my key for Titan Quest and I have to dig up my D2D key, punch it in, and reactivate and authenticate it almost every week. It's a bit annoying to say the least. Is it supposed to work that way?

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IdolNinja wrote: »

I've had a real problem with activation from D2D where it seems to lose my key for Titan Quest and I have to dig up my D2D key, punch it in, and reactivate and authenticate it almost every week. It's a bit annoying to say the least. Is it supposed to work that way?

I just fired it up and both games I registered initially started with no problems. Must be something wonky in your case.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I just fired it up and both games I registered initially started with no problems. Must be something wonky in your case.

Happened to me too. I have to keep on putting my key in for Titan Quest.

Edit:

Or maybe it was Drakensang. It was one of the two anyway.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I wish it did work like Steam. It bugs me that it's just files that you download and then it's your responsibility to keep track of.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This is fixable, just talk to D2D support, they give you a key for the bottom portion of the activation screen. Happened to me for Titan's Quest. Also why does everyone think you have to install something from D2D to get a game? I use Mozilla's normal downloader, works like a charm.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Vegan wrote: »

I wish it did work like Steam. It bugs me that it's just files that you download and then it's your responsibility to keep track of.

Well, that's sorta D2D's thing, no extra software. and you can do whatever you want with the .exe files after you download em, burn them to a dvd or whatever.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This is fixable, just talk to D2D support, they give you a key for the bottom portion of the activation screen. Happened to me for Titan's Quest. Also why does everyone think you have to install something from D2D to get a game? I use Mozilla's normal downloader, works like a charm.

You don't even have to talk to D2D support. That key shows up when you do a web activation

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Happened to me too. I have to keep on putting my key in for Titan Quest.

Edit:

Or maybe it was Drakensang. It was one of the two anyway.

I keep having to put my Titan Quest and Drakensang keys in too. Its getting fucking annoying, to the point where I stopped playing drakensang and uninstalled it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just upgraded my ram to 4gigs for the new wave of games and bam... the ONLY game I am playing right now, Red Faction II, doesn't like it. Says I ain't got no stinkin' ram. Every other game is okay but, no, not the one I'm playing.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My buddy and I each snagged the THQ super bundle and we're gonna play some Titan's Quest together. Now...I didn't follow this game very closely when it came out. Do we want to jump straight into Titan's Quest Immortal Throne, or do we want to load into TQ original.

I guess another way of phrasing my question is this: Is Immortal Throne an expansion like Lord of Destruction was for Diablo 2, in which it adds another chapter or campaign at the end? Or is it more of a stand-alone game with all new crap to do?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm about to give up on Riddick. I just can't get it to work.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My buddy and I each snagged the THQ super bundle and we're gonna play some Titan's Quest together. Now...I didn't follow this game very closely when it came out. Do we want to jump straight into Titan's Quest Immortal Throne, or do we want to load into TQ original.

I guess another way of phrasing my question is this: Is Immortal Throne an expansion like Lord of Destruction was for Diablo 2, in which it adds another chapter or campaign at the end? Or is it more of a stand-alone game with all new crap to do?

Immortal Throne is just like the Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction expansion. It adds an extra Act and also a new mastery and other changes. Once installed it replaces the original Titan Quest. You should only be running IT.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jimpy wrote: »
    I just upgraded my ram to 4gigs for the new wave of games and bam... the ONLY game I am playing right now, Red Faction II, doesn't like it. Says I ain't got no stinkin' ram. Every other game is okay but, no, not the one I'm playing.

Honestly, RF2 really isn't worth the effort. The first and Guerrilla are an order of magnitude better than it.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like Mirror's Edge so far. Haven't quite got the hang of disarming though, and it froze my computer at the start of Chapter 2. :(
    Price Running Total
    1 Half-Life 2 $19.99 $19.99
    2 Half-Life 2: Episode One $9.99 $29.98
    3 Left 4 Dead $29.99 $59.97
    4 Mirror's Edge™ $5.00 $64.97
    5 Portal $19.99 $84.96
    6 Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War - Soulstorm $29.99 $114

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.