Options

[STEAM] I hear there's a sale on

• Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Jesus, what a needlessly frustrating piece of shit Mirror's Edge is.

Let's combine finicky, poorly responsive controls with level design that kills you for jumping a nanosecond too late or too early or a millimeter to the left or the right.

Yes, of course my character won't even try and grab onto the pipe right in front of her fucking face, she'd much rather plummet to her death for the twentieth fucking time in a row. Thanks!

At least I only blew $5 on this garbage rather than $20+

the game could definitely be improved and it can be frustrating, but it's still a very good game.

you are just bad at it. there's nothing wrong with that, mind you, because it's hard to get good at it. but this is a game that you have to practice to be good at.

This is pretty much how I feel: it's a good game that has some extremely frustrating qualities to it that will hopefully be ironed out in Mirror's Edge 2.

Like, I spent ten or so minutes trying to jump from a pipe to a platform at the end of the sewer level. This was because I was pressing the move forward button in addition to the jump button. As it turns out, the jump only works if you don't touch your movement keys and only press the jump button.

And immediately after that section there's a fucking frustrating part with five shotgun wielding cops. Jesus motherfucking christ that was annoying.

Shotgun cops were annoying, but not as annoying as those ninja police fuckers at the end. Since my first instinct is to hit dudes in the face I tried fighting those guys. 10 mins of getting kicked in the back of the head by multiple foes from all directions is not fun.

The one thing I did like is that the game instilled a fear of those guys in me. Every time I saw them I would panic and run like chicken with its head cut off.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My main strategy with police thus far has just been to run like hell. If one gets in front of me, he gets a face full of feet and I keep on running.

It's been working pretty well, so far.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On a more positive note, Batman: Arkham Asylum was totally worth $25.

I'd probably feel vaguely ripped off if I'd plunked down $50, but like L4D, $25 seems like the right price point.

Maybe I'll just assume I paid $30 for AA and got Mirror's Edge for free.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So Zeno Clash is 66% off until December 3rd. While I still havent been able to play it, from what I've heard 5.10$ sounds like a good deal.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got Mirror's Edge. It downloaded I think most of the way (currently 7.2 GB on my HDD), and now it's updating, but the update never completes. It starts, goes at a low speed for a few seconds before quitting. The updating doesn't seem to be cumulative, because one time it said updating 100% and then the next time it dropped back to 0%. Any tips to getting this working?

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Try restarting Steam?

reVerse on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Where do I go to find out the monetary value of my Steam account?

Henroid on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rock Paper Shotgun has a love affair with ZC, and while I'm certain my computer can't run it, $5 isn't bad for a present to my future self, like Riddick was a while back.

Stupid Steam! Midweek sales now, too? Eventually we'll have 7AM Wednesday sales and 4:07 Thursday sales, and my wallet will be hooked up by a tube.

EDIT: Also, I'm addicted to leaving PvZ open to the Zen Garden, and letting my snail collect coins. Please send help.

EDIT2: Wake up you little bitch, I'll smack you!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Try restarting Steam?

This has been happening since yesterday through several restarts and trying different Steam download servers.
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    and my wallet will be hooked up by a tube.
    a series of tubes actually

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I spent 2.49 on the Special Edition of Monkey Island.

I almost forgot I bought that thing because it was so ...obvious of a thing to do.

I've never played Monkey Island before.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Where do I go to find out the monetary value of my Steam account?

http://www.ddgamer.com/worth.php

Lagnar on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I'd probably feel vaguely ripped off if I'd plunked down $50, but like L4D, $25 seems like the right price point.

You have to at least play through the whole of Mirror's Edge so you can also appreciate the forced fighting sections in a game completely built around running away. My favorite bits are spots where you don't have to knock anyone out, but if you try to hit them while running past them the camera will lock onto them instead of letting you just keep running. So great.

Mirror's Edge 2 really needs to do away with things like pipes and ledge crawling to get anywhere. They just horribly break up the flow of the game when some boxes or extra ledges would let you keep moving quickly. And the sections where you're required to fight, too.

Also, I wish that Steam calculator was capable of telling you what you actually paid for the games as well as what they cost right now. The most I've paid for any individual game on Steam so far is STALKER: Clear Sky for about 35 bucks. Nearly everything else has been purchased on sale for a fraction of even the current prices.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You have to at least play through the whole of Mirror's Edge so you can also appreciate the forced fighting sections in a game completely built around running away. My favorite bits are spots where you don't have to knock anyone out, but if you try to hit them while running past them the camera will lock onto them instead of letting you just keep running. So great.

Mirror's Edge 2 really needs to do away with things like pipes and ledge crawling to get anywhere. They just horribly break up the flow of the game when some boxes or extra ledges would let you keep moving quickly. And the sections where you're required to fight, too.

Also, I wish that Steam calculator was capable of telling you what you actually paid for the games as well as what they cost right now. The most I've paid for any individual game on Steam so far is STALKER: Clear Sky for about 35 bucks. Nearly everything else has been purchased on sale for a fraction of even the current prices.

The only way I could tell you what you actually paid is if you gave me your login and password.
    http://www.ddgamer.com/faq.php?go=14#faq_14
    So, I don't think too many people would really go for that option.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can see what you've paid by adding up the transactions in your account page.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The account history isn't complete. I've been purchasing games on and off from Steam since late 2005 and my history only goes back to late 2007. The vast majority have been since 2k7 though, and I've only paid full price for 5 things on steam including the initial release source pack.

stigweard on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's fun looking at my steam community page and seeing a big list of

Friend X now owns Mirror's Edge/Evil Genius/Chronicles of Riddick
    Friend Z now owns Mirror's Edge/Evil Genius/Chronicles of Riddick
    Friend Y now owns Mirror's Edge/Evil Genius/Chronicles of Riddick

Also Zeno Clash for £3, sold. I heard good things when it was released but never did get around to it.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well you can see the last year history of transaction here:
    https://store.steampowered.com/account

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    It's fun looking at my steam community page and seeing a big list of

Friend X now owns Mirror's Edge/Evil Genius/Chronicles of Riddick
    Friend Z now owns Mirror's Edge/Evil Genius/Chronicles of Riddick
    Friend Y now owns Mirror's Edge/Evil Genius/Chronicles of Riddick

Also Zeno Clash for £3, sold. I heard good things when it was released but never did get around to it.

Even more fun if a friend gets the LucasArts pack:

"You now own Star Wars Republic Commando, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, The Dig, Armed and Dangerous, Star Wars Galaxies, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Loom, Star Wars Starfighter, Monkey Island Special Edition, Starwars: Knights of The Old Republic, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Lucidity."

A few friends weren't in town during most of the sale, so I think they missed out on some of the better deals.

SteevL on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I uh, own 25 games worth $234.88. My WoW account is worth more than that by a long shot.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Haha, I forgot that Bioshock is linked to my Steam account. I bought it when it was $5, just to have it there for when I finally get a new computer.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If there is anyone able to take advantage of the Zeno Clash deal due to not already owning it, I have failed in my duty as an internet crusader.

If there is anyone able to take advantage of the next Zeno Clash deal due to not already owning it, I have failed in my duty as a human being.

Monger on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Got Evil Genius last night. Played till 1 AM. I love those base building/management games.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lagnar wrote: »
    So Zeno Clash is 66% off until December 3rd. While I still havent been able to play it, from what I've heard 5.10$ sounds like a good deal.

How does this game hold up past the demo levels? The demo was pretty visceral and had a really good feel to beating things. Does it last the whole way or does it get dumb?

Also, D2D has beaten Steam's price on Mirror's Edge:

http://www.direct2drive.com/holiday/

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, I really need to check the steam store more often. I barely made the Mirror's Edge deal, and probably would have missed Zeno Clash if I hadn't wandered in here. Oh well, two more games off my "to get eventually" list.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    Got Evil Genius last night. Played till 1 AM. I love those base building/management games.

If you ever see Tropico Reloaded on sale, nab it!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Teriferin wrote: »
    My main strategy with police thus far has just been to run like hell. If one gets in front of me, he gets a face full of feet and I keep on running.

Exactly - the entire game's built around keeping momentum. At speed, you can 1) jump kick and knock people out of the way in a single hit (mostly), 2) run to cover faster than bullets can track you, 3) make a mockery of most of the game's jumps. It still has some annoyingly designed sections, but people call this hard?

Also, Zeno Clash - its only crime is being short. It is strange, interesting, different, and worth absolutely anyone capable of running HL2's attention! You won't be getting it on your fancy consoles, that's for sure.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only part about Mirror's Edge I remember being tough as nails involves a certain escape scene from a certain container-y thing. Christ that was hard. Doubly so without using guns.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DiRT 2 was supposed to release today, but for some reason it says 3 days from now....:cry:

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Teriferin wrote: »

Exactly - the entire game's built around keeping momentum. At speed, you can 1) jump kick and knock people out of the way in a single hit (mostly), 2) run to cover faster than bullets can track you, 3) make a mockery of most of the game's jumps. It still has some annoyingly designed sections, but people call this hard?

Also, Zeno Clash - its only crime is being short. It is strange, interesting, different, and worth absolutely anyone capable of running HL2's attention! You won't be getting it on your fancy consoles, that's for sure.

Except on XBLA next spring. I guess it depends on how fancy you consider the 360 to be.

elevature on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

Well you can see the last year history of transaction here:
    https://store.steampowered.com/account

I can see last 2 years here.

Myself: 240 eur
    Gifts: 52 eur

heh

Alegis on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You own 6 games worth: $62.45

I feel so... puny.

From the sale, I nabbed Evil Genius, KotOR, and ME. There were some other borderline calls, but I ended up backing down. I'm already practically out of space on my Bootcamp partition, and that's without this round installed.

Some people have been mentioning having Steam stuff stored on an external drive. How's that work out? Are you doing the backup option, then restoring them when you want to play, or is there some way to actually play from another drive?

If the former, is the process pretty streamlined, or is there a lot of back and forth on it?

Lastly, since others are asking too, can I get a PA group (or Armadeaddon, or whatever the cool kids are doing these days) invite? Steam id is MrHeist

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mr Heist wrote: »
    Some people have been mentioning having Steam stuff stored on an external drive. How's that work out? Are you doing the backup option, then restoring them when you want to play, or is there some way to actually play from another drive?

To play them, they have to be in your steam folder. You can either use the back-up feature from Steam (which will back games up into one or several executables, which you can run to extract the stuff in steam folder) or swap out the files in the steam folder yourself.

For Armadeaddon jump into the groupchat and an officer will invite you eventually.

Alegis on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It'd be nice to get a solid state drive and put all my Steam games there, but the size of the SSD I would need for my Steam folder is out of my price range.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Totalitarian

I mean, there are cops shooting at you just because.

That tends to imply the lack of elections, or the lack of popular support, or the absence of civil institutions, or even the absence of meaningful political change, which isn't really true. A clean, efficient state with minimal corruption or violent crime doesn't lose popular support that easily, for instance.

I mean, the practical problem with 1930s fascism was not that the trains ran on time; they actually didn't, and fascism turned out to be deeply corrupt. Now imagine that a careful government actually does "make the trains run on time", and there you have it. Benjamin Franklin only said that those who traded 'essential liberty' for security didn't deserve either; he never said it wasn't possible.

America and Western Europe are typically labeled "liberal democracies" in academia; in the popular discourse 'liberal' tends to be taken for granted, which is really too bad - it leads to the assumption that one's civil liberties can't possibly be under threat because it's the result of a vote.

Mind = Blown

Well, concerning corruption, whenever a group of people manage to obtain absolute power with no accountability, they will most definitely take personal advantage out of it.

Go on, go find out who the world's highest-paid government executive is.

Being transparent about it is what pushes Singapore corruption down, I guess; no shady millions to build palaces for the Prime Minister whilst pretending it's 'for the people' or fleets of imported luxury cars. This is a government willing to stand up and publicly advocate a 'meritocratic' civil service and other elements of its ideology, and apparently a culture willing to buy into it.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

To play them, they have to be in your steam folder. You can either use the back-up feature from Steam (which will back games up into one or several executables, which you can run to extract the stuff in steam folder) or swap out the files in the steam folder yourself.

For Armadeaddon jump into the groupchat and an officer will invite you eventually.

That doesn't seem bad at all. Now to just get past the psychosis of "OMG what if I'm out traveling with my computer and suddenly need to play Lost Coast?! I can't not have it on my drive- better keep it around, just in case"

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    galenblade wrote: »

If you ever see Tropico Reloaded on sale, nab it!

Speak of the Devil!

gog.com just added the DRM free game into their catalog.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

That doesn't seem bad at all. Now to just get past the psychosis of "OMG what if I'm out traveling with my computer and suddenly need to play Lost Coast?! I can't not have it on my drive- better keep it around, just in case"

One problem with steam backup would be you need to be online to install them. Once your installed, you can then run offline mode and close steam. Then when you're out and about just run steam back in offline mode and your fine.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Holy crap. I've spent 649.76 in just under a year on steam games.... I need to disconnect my computer from the interwebs.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    Holy crap. I've spent 649.76 in just under a year on steam games.... I need to disconnect my computer from the interwebs.

I hope you got most of those on deals, because I've spent less than that in the 6 or 7 years (I don't remember exactly how long) I've had steam. Granted, when I first started steam was just an annoying program I had to put up with for no apparent reason to play Counterstrike, and not the awesome download service it is today.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are downloads wonky for anyone else?

SkutSkut on
This discussion has been closed.