Options

Vancouver Olympics: Thread 3, Day 17 (Closing Ceremony)

• Options
    DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    McGuire is great on NBC where he does analysis. Doing colour on TSN, his over-the-top way of expressing everything that comes to mind is ... not my cup of tea.

SNAP DADDY!

Dibs on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Who the hell else got eaten?

I mean,Whistler looks bad, but really?

I'd like to see data from like Torino (Turin) for comparison.

No, that's not an actual request of you Gos.

20 from men's giant slalom, 8 in women's ski cross. 7 DNF's, plus the Romanian crash at the line that caused her to miss qualification by .21 seconds. Were it really anywhere else in the standings, I wouldn't count it, but ouch.

The alpine skiing has gotten the most...

Combined: 24 men, 11 women in Torino; 18 men, 6 women in Vancouver.
    Downhill: 2 men, 4 women in Torino; 4 men, 7 women in Vancouver.
    Giant slalom: 42 men in Torino; 20 men in Vancouver. Women haven't gone yet.
    Slalom: Hasn't happened yet.
    Super G: 7 men, 3 women in Torino; 18 men, 15 women in Vancouver.

Hell with it. I still like the narrative of The Mountain That Ate Everybody even if the stats don't entirely back it up.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That Romanian crash was heartbreaking. She came to the Olympics with no coach or tech or anything (though she lives in Vancouver, but still) and she was having a pretty good run before the final jump.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Six wrote: »
    That Romanian crash was heartbreaking. She came to the Olympics with no coach or tech or anything (though she lives in Vancouver, but still) and she was having a pretty good run before the final jump.

SNAP DADDY!

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dibs wrote: »
    McGuire is great on NBC where he does analysis. Doing colour on TSN, his over-the-top way of expressing everything that comes to mind is ... not my cup of tea.

SNAP DADDY!

If he used the phrase "right through the net" one more time while they were reviewing that goal, I would've flown to Vancouver and choked him out.

He must've said it 12 times.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There will be no Olympics shown on any NBC channels or peripheral channels until 3 PM Eastern.

None. No morning/midday events whatsoever.

And then NBC wonders why the Games aren't making them money. A Ferrari doesn't win you a race if you leave it in the garage, you...

ugh.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    To be fair, there isn't any curling which has been on at noon EST everyday for the last week or so.

I mean, it's not like there is Alpine skiing on or anything where Americans are favoured

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    To be fair, there isn't any curling which has been on at noon EST everyday for the last week or so.

I mean, it's not like there is Alpine skiing on or anything where Americans are favoured

You don't show alpine skiing live, dummy. You tape delay it.

god, it's like none of you went to major network sports broadcasting school.

Six on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    There will be no Olympics shown on any NBC channels or peripheral channels until 3 PM Eastern.

None. No morning/midday events whatsoever.

And then NBC wonders why the Games aren't making them money. A Ferrari doesn't win you a race if you leave it in the garage, you...

ugh.

No, see, by only showing the Olympics for an hour a day they force anyone who wants to watch them to watch during THAT HOUR and it drives up ad prices!

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I imagine USA being the adolescent bitch of the NBC family. "Well if I can't show curling then I'm now showing anything!" and storming off to her room to show Law & Order reruns.

Six on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    saint2e wrote: »
    Dibs wrote: »

SNAP DADDY!

If he used the phrase "right through the net" one more time while they were reviewing that goal, I would've flown to Vancouver and choked him out.

He must've said it 12 times.

he repeats everything at least 3 times

he is like a silly goosier, more yell-y rain man

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When I hear McGuire on the radio, doing interviews, he's great. When he's doing colour commentary, he's devolved into a caricature of a WWE announcer.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, do I wish silly goose were not the only insult I were allowed to use. For I have spontaneously invented a long string of quite colorful expletives.

Gosling on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pierre Maguire sucks. Everyone involved in NBC hockey sucks. I hate NBC hockey.

They make me want Barry Melrose back! Barry Melrose!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If I am reading this right, Whistler has claimed another 2 competitors: Lindsey Vonn and Julie Mancuso who were both having very good first runs in the Giant Slalom.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And Vonn just went down on Slalom.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    And Vonn just went down
    :winky::D
    on Slalom.

:?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, never mind. It seems that Mancuso's run was stopped halfway down because of Vonn's crash. It appears she will be going again when the other racers finish. That's gotta be tough to deal with.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have watched *sooo* much curling during the past week or so. My god.

Eve Muirhead *just* missed some final shots yesterday against Canada. But she's hot, so it's fine. And god damn, she's 19? Well now I just feel old and somewhat creepy.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    saint2e wrote: »
    "Loooooooooooooooo" is the chant for Luongo. Commonly confused as boos.

I propose we put "They're not booing, they're Looing" in the thread title.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I prefer to keep the thread title straightforward.

GAAAAAAH THE ONLINE FEEDS ARE GIVING ME THE TODAY SHOW'

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Finally found a Chinese feed, CCTV 5. Just in time to see the third and final member of Team Uzbekistan.

And then see an Armenian get eaten.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Men's Cross country relay is underway. This involves the same 3 Canadians who finished in the top 10 in the cross country race the other day. If the stars align, we might end up with a medal here.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Pierre is from TSN, which is Canadian. Normally TSN doesn't show many important hockey games. But I prefer them to CBC any day, plus TSN stole the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song, so that always makes me laugh.

With Pierre you just got to understand that TSN puts him alone inbetween the two benches because no one wants to do the game with him there, probably.

I think the other anchors make fun of him because he's always LOUD and ENERGIZED.

Personally I could just listen to Pierre shout about MONSTER HITS, and other such things all day because its hilarious.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vonn getting eaten was all over Sportscenter.

It is truly a sad, sad thing when a network without rights to the Olympics can scoop the network with exclusive rights to the Olympics by... well, we'll find out how long it takes NBC to mention it. That is just pathetic.

Gosling on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait a minute Gosling, you're telling me that Torino ate more people than Vancouver? After all your deceptive lies?!

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Pierre is from TSN, which is Canadian. Normally TSN doesn't show many important hockey games. But I prefer them to CBC any day, plus TSN stole the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song, so that always makes me laugh.

With Pierre you just got to understand that TSN puts him alone inbetween the two benches because no one wants to do the game with him there, probably.

I think the other anchors make fun of him because he's always LOUD and ENERGIZED.

Personally I could just listen to Pierre shout about MONSTER HITS, and other such things all day because its hilarious.

The between the benches thing (they call it 1 Up / 1 Down) they do for all their games, and CBC has copied it now too, though I think they have a third guy between the benches.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Wait a minute Gosling, you're telling me that Torino ate more people than Vancouver? After all your deceptive lies?!

The Mountain That Ate Everybody had to be trucked in with the snow.

Gosling on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    holy shit the Swiss are hammering the US goal.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Frick the Swiss are really pushing hard to start the game.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is going to be a goaltending DUEL.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is the Hiller vs. Miller game isn't it?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

NBC borrows him for their games. It's awful.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As a Canadian, am I allowed to cheer for Switzerland to win the gold?

Edit: Brodeur-like!

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If the swiss win, I fear for any Swiss Chalet's in the states.

Corvus on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    If the swiss win, I fear for any Swiss Chalet's in the states.

You significantly overestimate our passion regarding hockey. If the Swiss win, the American reaction will be, "Huh, that's disappointing, I suppose. When's the NFL draft?"

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And the swiss were just ROBBED

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Holy christ hiller.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Being a "Swiss army knife" might not be a good thing when you're playing the Swiss.. I'm just saying.

hippofant on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The mens cross-country relay is on now as well, looking good for sweden.

Yann on