As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you're a Republican, [PALIN] says it's time to get on your high horse!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a disaster if you assume people don't just sit on their hands when it comes to things happening politically despite their loud shouting from their couch.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

I don't see HCR getting him any good will. It's been a political disaster for Dems so far.
    If you think it is a disaster, I wonder what you think of real political disasters.

It's driven out the crazies in a way that hasn't been seen since the 60's. It's a tough issue. And even though it's still a "win" for him, it's a win many didn't want, and wins don't count for shit. Hell the elder Bush won a war, and still lost an election, a war that everybody was behind.

On Palin, she might just run for the sake of being the first woman presidential candidate. And don't under estimate the one mindedness of the menopause mafia, as was evidenced by their rabid support of Hilary Clinton. Palin may easily get a good margin of them.

Yeah, because when McCain picked her as a cynical and poorly thought out attempt to do just that; curry favor with Hilary voters and energize his campaign, it worked amazingly well.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At the moment, she's worthless but it is possible that they would get behind her if she began offering concrete ideas
    So there is no real possibility.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Getting re-elected is never about what you did right, it's about what you did wrong, or what can be blamed on you.

If this was true then Kerry would have won in 2004.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, because when McCain picked her as a cynical and poorly thought out attempt to do just that; curry favor with Hilary voters and energize his campaign, it worked amazingly well.
    Except it didn't actually work with Hillary voters outside the one or two crazy people the "liberal" news media focused on. She was less popular among women than among men.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1846443,00.html
    Those numbers do not compare well with those of her direct competitor in the general election, Joe Biden. Among women, the Democratic candidate for vice president is viewed positively by 51% and negatively by 27%. Biden has an overall favorable to unfavorable split of 50%-31%, while McCain's is 54%-38% and Obama's rests at an enviable is 60%-33%.

Palin's unpopularity with women may prove a drag on the ticket with the very constituency she initially inspired. Obama now leads McCain by 17 points among likely female voters, 55%-38%. Just after the Republican convention, a TIME poll had the two candidates virtually tied among women, 48% for Obama and 47% for McCain.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1846443,00.html#ixzz0kcq6PGIM

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    At the moment, she's worthless but it is possible that they would get behind her if she began offering concrete ideas

Yeah, the reason Sarah is such a popular political chameleon right now, is because she hasn't actually said anything this entire time. It's like that James Brown song, "Talking Loud and Saying Nothing". Her entire schtick is firing off a stream of consciousness statement littered with right wing buzz words. This works great for giving pep talks to in the can audiences full of ignorant morons and taking cheap political shots on Fox News; where she knows no one except maybe Bill-o is going to call her on her shit, but to actually run she'll have to develop policy recommendations, and oh god will that be something to behold.
    Except it didn't actually work with Hillary voters outside the one or two crazy people the "liberal" news media focused on. She was less popular among women than among men.

Yeah, that was my point, I was being sarcastic.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Getting re-elected is never about what you did right, it's about what you did wrong, or what can be blamed on you.

Economy hadn't tanked and we were still pissed about Iraq.

Had the economy not tanked, Obama might not have won in 2008.

psychotix on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Palin may have a shot at winning the primaries just because there are no stronger candidates and, depending on the political climate next year, any really strong potential candidate may decide to wait for 2016. Palin may be a sacrificial lamb, as it were. Or wolf, with Obama sitting in a helicopter with a gun. (I eagerly await that political cartoon if she announces a run).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical of there actually having been a chance of my avatar becoming "The Presidential Shuffle"

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I didn't say good idea's, I said concrete idea's. Which could happen if she hired a speech writer who was able to sift through her thought vomit for nugggets of wisdom.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Special case, Kerry was so impotent he managed to have his purple heart become a liability.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical of there actually having been a chance of my avatar becoming "The Presidential Shuffle"
    I remember the polling having already shown Obama as probably winning against McCain and the polling over time being remarkably similar to past elections when comparing the winner to the loser.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I didn't say good idea's, I said concrete idea's. Which could happen if she hired a speech writer who was able to sift through her thought vomit for nugggets of wisdom.

She has no nuggets of wisdom unless wisdom is an euphemism for crap.

Couscous on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Still no chance. first tiem she got in ront of a Tea Party audience she'd start spouting bullshit again.

Read up on the McCain staffers who wrote about her. she simply refused to be coached and wouldn't stay on script

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Still no chance. first tiem she got in ront of a Tea Party audience she'd start spouting bullshit again.

Read up on the McCain staffers who wrote about her. she simply refused to be coached and wouldn't stay on script

Well, they just were giving her the wrong kind of script, if you write it on her hand, she has no problems staying on track.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Palin's giving a speech right now at a GOP conference in New Orleans.

It's not really noteworthy outside the sever tone-deafness required to call for an end to government spending while in a city that was nearly swept from the map by federal spending cuts.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On Palin, she might just run for the sake of being the first woman presidential candidate. And don't under estimate the one mindedness of the menopause mafia, as was evidenced by their rabid support of Hilary Clinton. Palin may easily get a good margin of them.

Women didn't vote for Palin last time, and she's only gotten more crazy (or rather, the exposure of her craziness has increased). McCain got a bump when he picked her because of the convention and because no one knew who Palin was - she was just an empty dress.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Special case, Kerry was so impotent he managed to have his purple heart become a liability.

And coined a political attack phrase that will probably be maintained for decades. Gogo swiftboating.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember the polling having already shown Obama as probably winning against McCain and the polling over time being remarkably similar to past elections when comparing the winner to the loser.

There was a time after the pubs convention the media was announcing the McCain presidency, and then he suspended his campaign and never again came fucking close.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

There was a time after the pubs convention the media was announcing the McCain presidency, and then he suspended his campaign and never again came fucking close.

That is because the media is retarded. The bump was extremely similar to the previous convention bumps in pretty much every goddamn past election. Freaking Kerry had one.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Palin's giving a speech right now at a GOP conference in New Orleans.

It's not really noteworthy outside the sever tone-deafness required to call for an end to government spending while in a city that was nearly swept from the map by federal spending cuts.

The only reason the town isn't underwater is because of government spending required to keep the below sea level land from returning to the sea.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She has no nuggets of wisdom unless wisdom is an euphemism for crap.

I believe that nuggets is the best euphemism for crap ever coined.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I think you can blame Palin for a majority of it too, once the press started digging, he spent more time trying to defend her than actually campaigning. It would have been so awesome to have a real time data feed of viewers watching that disastrous Couric interview and their opinions of the McCain campaign. And she didn't help matters after by going around and stirring up the retard demographic with accusations of Obama being a terrorist either.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That is because the media is retarded. The bump was extremely similar to the previous convention bumps in pretty much every goddamn past election. Freaking Kerry had one.

It's that liberal media though, always support conservatives to throw us off their liberalism.

Like in the debates how the media had them all "This was like 50/50 with a slight mccain/palin win" and then the polls would roll out and every time the public apparently watched different debates as they had it an overwhelming Obama/Biden victory.

The media during the campaign were trying to avoid the writing on the wall when the shit was over and done with in early october.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's that liberal media though, always support conservatives to throw us off their liberalism.

Like in the debates how the media had them all "This was like 50/50 with a slight mccain/palin win" and then the polls would roll out and every time the public apparently watched different debates as they had it an overwhelming Obama/Biden victory.

The media during the campaign were trying to avoid the writing on the wall when the shit was over and done with in early october.
    This was why Chuck Todd, then political director for MSNBC, won my everlasting respect on election night.

"With the results coming in from the coasts, it's now mathematically impossible for McCain to win."

There were a dozen channels covering the horse race, and only one that owned up to it all being over at 8 eastern.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

This was why Chuck Todd, then political director for MSNBC, won my everlasting respect on election night.

"With the results coming in from the coasts, it's now mathematically impossible for McCain to win."

There were a dozen channels covering the horse race, and only one that owned up to it all being over at 8 eastern.

Hell Olbermann called it earlier by pointing out unless McCain had the whole west coast he was done for. Soon as florida wasn't instantly McCain it was kind of over.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dum dum dummmm. Like Kazakhstan.
    Hey, Kazakh women are hot.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dum dum dummmm. Like Kazakhstan.
    Hey, Kazakh women are hot.
    And how. That entire area of the world produces some extremely attractive women.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Hell Olbermann called it earlier by pointing out unless McCain had the whole west coast he was done for. Soon as florida wasn't instantly McCain it was kind of over.
    Olbermann was declaring a loss for McCain going into the Republican convention. :P

Not that he was wrong, obviously. Or that his reasons weren't justified.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

the
    fundamentals
    of
    our
    economy
    are
    strong

this is where he lost for good

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't fear Palin, she's extremely divisive, and Americans are not that silly goose. I'm just sad that people listen to her except to mock her. I don't understand how can you see the kind of brain spew she has, and think "Yes this person should run stuff for half of her term"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think McCain lost before he ever even started campaigning. To this day I still think he cut a deal to bow out of the race for Bush's re-election in return for Bush's top campaign people to help him in 08. Except it horribly backfired since Bush's credibility and a lot of their tried and true campaign tactics ended up being next to useless.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

the
    fundamentals
    of
    our
    economy
    are
    strong

this is where he lost for good
    But by "fundamentals" he meant "hard-working Americans!"

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I think you can blame Palin for a majority of it too, once the press started digging, he spent more time trying to defend her than actually campaigning. It would have been so awesome to have a real time data feed of viewers watching that disastrous Couric interview and their opinions of the McCain campaign. And she didn't help matters after by going around and stirring up the retard demographic with accusations of Obama being a terrorist either.

I wonder if Fox's wunder-pollster Frank Luntz ever had his focus group play with their dials while watching the Couric interview.

And the most hilarious thing about the Couric interview was that Palin was whiffing on softballs.

Palin: SCOTUS screwed up on Exxon vs Baker, they totally screwed over Alaska!
    (a couple months later)
    Couric: Are there any SCOTUS decisions besides Roe vs Wade that you disagree with?
    Palin: :?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think McCain lost before he ever even started campaigning. To this day I still think he cut a deal to bow out of the race for Bush's re-election in return for Bush's top campaign people to help him in 08. Except it horribly backfired since Bush's credibility and a lot of their tried and true campaign tactics ended up being next to useless.

Plus Bush's best people didn't even help McCain out. He didn't have Rove, Hughes, and Card on the bus.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

I wonder if Fox's wunder-pollster Frank Luntz ever had his focus group play with their dials while watching the Couric interview.

And the most hilarious thing about the Couric interview was that Palin was whiffing on softballs.

(a couple months later)
    Couric: Are there any SCOTUS decisions besides Roe vs Wade that you disagree with?

Her O'Reilly interview when she joined Fox News was more of the same, Bill kept setting up easy softballs for her to hit out the park, and she kept missing every single one of them. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in his dressing room after.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

(a couple months later)

Her O'Reilly interview when she joined Fox News was more of the same, Bill kept setting up easy softballs for her to hit out the park, and she kept missing every single one of them. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in his dressing room after.

OH GOD THE MENTAL IMAGE
    WHY DID YOU MAKE ME IMAGINE O'REILLY UNDRESSING

Cervetus on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Todd called it when Ohio was called, I take it?

Because really, that was the moment when McCain's chances were mathematically killed. I mean, losing Florida really knocked his chances mostly out, but if he'd been able to carry Ohio, there were enough states still in question that he possibly could have won it.

Though, really, I don't think anyone should be calling anything until the polls close in Hawaii, honestly. That includes states where the polls have already closed.

It has a significant effect on turnout.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The more I hear the phrase, the more "unfunded mandate" sounds like a night on the town the RNC has yet to reimburse.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20002164-503544.html
    Mr. Obama said in an interview Friday that he was unconcerned with Palin's attacks on his decision to announce that in most cases the United States will not use nuclear weapons against a non-nuclear country.

"Last I checked, Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues," he said.

Palin shot back in her comments Thursday, mocking the president for "the vast nuclear experience that he acquired as a community organizer." She said that his alleged experience had not helped him make progress in the issue with Iran and North Korea.
    How is that supposed to rebut anything?
    Palin, a potential 2012 GOP presidential candidate, said the Obama doctrine involved "coddling enemies and alienating allies," attacking the administration for its handling of Irsael, Iran and North Korea. She criticized the administration for its "yes we can spread the wealth around" attitude and said its programs, which she said took money from future generations, involved what "a lot of us" consider "stealing."
    A lot of us must be retarded.
    The former Alaska governor, reading from prepared remarks, deemed the Environmental Protection Agency the "economic punishment agency" for claiming a role to regulate carbon emissions. She said the Obama administration's nuclear policy was " a lot of smoke and mirrors" because it was difficult to actually build a nuclear facility.
    Difficult things don't count anymore.
    Palin also said global warming skeptics were "a little bit vindicated" by revelations that "there was some snake oil science" going on in climate change research, deeming the situation "Goregate."
    That word doesn't even make any sense.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.