Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chat] with the Devil

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
race_with_devil_poster_01.jpg


Oh, Fonda and Oates.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on
«13456763

Posts

  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I had a dog that used to bark at you when you sneezed, when you got a cold he was obnoxious.

    My dog is fascinated with sneezes. If you sneeze, he runs up to you no matter where he was or what he was doing and sticks his nose right in your face. Like smelling it will reveal the mystery of sneezing. It's pretty adorable.

    My black lab wouldn't let you swim in the pool. It wasn't allowed while he was outside. He would jump into the pool, swim out to you, grab your arm with this mouth and try to pull you to the stairs. You could sit on the stairs and walk around in the shallow end but get more than waist deep in the water and he'd freak out.

    Orochi_Rockman on
  • JamesJames regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fonda is awesome. Anyway!

    Sarksus wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarks the philosophy thread is that way

    NO WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS HERE.

    Your argument assumes that you must remember an experience in order for it to have ever existed, right?

    Well, there are two ways to look at it.

    You could say that of course it exists, even if you don't experience it.

    Or you could say that if no one experiences it then how do you know it exists?

    But I think what I'm getting at is regardless of whether or not it really exists from your perspective you never experienced it and it's because it was destroyed and not saved. I mean can you describe what it's like to experience something in the present with the knowledge that you will not remember it in the future? I don't know what that feels like. So if you die then how is that different from forgetting something? Shouldn't those experiences be saved in something like an afterlife?

    hold on, i havent philosophy-d in so long.

    what if experiences are not destroyed outright, but can merely not be recalled? For example, I have plenty of memories I can't remember offhand, but an experience might trigger it's recollection. At one point in time, I have no memory of an experience ever occurring, and at a later point, I remember the same experience.

    I think the idea that our experiences should be recognized as having existed is egocentric. We care about our existence, the universe does not. We either require an omniscient being to do the remembering, or we require some sort of soul (or both). Alternatively, you can look at your brain as a hard drive. Some data is only saved temporarily, wiped data can be recovered, or the hard drive can be utterly destroyed, and the data may well have never existed.

    I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly, here. It's hard to put this into words :P

    James on
  • PreacherPreacher regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Must have had some retriever in him orochi, and not just the dog next door.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InquisitorInquisitor regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor on
  • NocturneNocturne regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not to be confused with the devil race.

    Nocturne on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

    Silas Brown on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Not to be confused with the devil race.

    But enough about Sicilians.

    Ludious on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been getting interested in Go again lately. Haven't played since high school though (10+ years). Are there any other beginer level players on this board? We should get a game on some time.

    RiemannLives on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Must have had some retriever in him orochi, and not just the dog next door.

    He's a Lab / Rottweiler mix.

    Orochi_Rockman on
  • PreacherPreacher regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Not to be confused with the devil race.

    But enough about Sicilians.

    Part eggplant.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EchoEcho mod Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    I've been getting interested in Go again lately. Haven't played since high school though (10+ years). Are there any other beginer level players on this board? We should get a game on some time.

    There's a version coming for XBLA soonish. It even has PBP mode - you can make your turns without the opponent needing to be online, and he can do his the next time he's online.

    More games need that.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »
    Fonda is awesome. Anyway!

    Sarksus wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarks the philosophy thread is that way

    NO WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS HERE.

    Your argument assumes that you must remember an experience in order for it to have ever existed, right?

    Well, there are two ways to look at it.

    You could say that of course it exists, even if you don't experience it.

    Or you could say that if no one experiences it then how do you know it exists?

    But I think what I'm getting at is regardless of whether or not it really exists from your perspective you never experienced it and it's because it was destroyed and not saved. I mean can you describe what it's like to experience something in the present with the knowledge that you will not remember it in the future? I don't know what that feels like. So if you die then how is that different from forgetting something? Shouldn't those experiences be saved in something like an afterlife?

    hold on, i havent philosophy-d in so long.

    what if experiences are not destroyed outright, but can merely not be recalled? For example, I have plenty of memories I can't remember offhand, but an experience might trigger it's recollection. At one point in time, I have no memory of an experience ever occurring, and at a later point, I remember the same experience.

    I think the idea that our experiences should be recognized as having existed is egocentric. We care about our existence, the universe does not. We either require an omniscient being to do the remembering, or we require some sort of soul (or both). Alternatively, you can look at your brain as a hard drive. Some data is only saved temporarily, wiped data can be recovered, or the hard drive can be utterly destroyed, and the data may well have never existed.

    I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly, here. It's hard to put this into words :P

    I don't think it matters if it's destroyed or just temporarily forgotten. In the case of death it's permanently destroyed. Regarding the universe caring about us, I don't propose the universe does any remembering. I am probably proposing a soul which retains our memories.

    Sarksus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So the girl asked me if I wanted to come over for dinner tonight but something about her tone made me wary. I inquired as to who would be cooking, and she mentioned the name of one of her roommates. The one that is to food what Glen Beck is to reason. Boldly I asked what tonights menu would be and it follows.

    Do not read if you're a foodie:
    Chicken marinated in teriyaki, then pan fried with apricots and plums. Served on a bed of pasta and tomato based sauce. She claims it's marinara but there isn't a good analogy for the horror it truly is. Also there will be a side of sweet potatoes with a white gravy.

    I will be eating alone tonight. Damn work meetings.

    Thomamelas on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thom, you should come over for dinner! I'm making steak and potatoes!

    Silas Brown on
  • EchoEcho mod Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Chicken, pasta and potatoes? What an... interesting combination.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i miss the feminine touch

    c'mere mori

    Organichu on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Chicken, pasta and potatoes? What an... interesting combination.

    She has a thing for fusion cuisine. Her problem is that she hasn't mastered the basics of cooking, let alone two cooking styles that one could fuse. I've tried to help but this girl loves to try to run before she can walk.

    Thomamelas on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Organ I'm pretty sure Mya would bang you if I wasn't in the way

    Zen Vulgarity on
    oVSbgTI.png For more artwork like this, check out Jakub Rozalski's imgur
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thom, you should come over for dinner! I'm making steak and potatoes!

    See, a nice simple menu. KISS applies to cooking just as well.

    Thomamelas on
  • NocturneNocturne regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not even a foody, but the way that chicken is prepared and then served on pasta with marinara? Also sweet potatoes with white gravy?

    I mean I cook very rarely but that just sounds like the most random shit thrown together.

    Nocturne on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Organ I'm pretty sure Mya would bang you if I wasn't in the way

    Zen I'm pretty sure I would bang Mya if you weren't in the way

    Organichu on
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.

    Sarksus on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have to admit I'm making slop for dinner.

    Chicken breast with low sodium whole wheat Stove Top.


    Basically I cook the chicken, chop it up, and mix it up with the stuffing.

    Sort of a ghetto casserole.

    Ludious on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I'm not even a foody, but the way that chicken is prepared and then served on pasta with marinara? Also sweet potatoes with white gravy?

    I mean I cook very rarely but that just sounds like the most random shit thrown together.

    Yes. She thinks that's how you do fusion cuisine. I've tried to explain that one's cooking experiments should be gradual, maybe try a little thyme in place of rosemary but she doesn't listen well.

    Thomamelas on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.

    it's totally worth it

    Organichu on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.

    Pussy.

    @Organ: Hnn.

    Zen Vulgarity on
    oVSbgTI.png For more artwork like this, check out Jakub Rozalski's imgur
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.

    i'm mostly just content and lazy

    i have a good life anyway

    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so how're things, zennifer

    what's up

    what's clackalackin

    Organichu on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Papa Nurgle has blessed me with his gifts

    Zen Vulgarity on
    oVSbgTI.png For more artwork like this, check out Jakub Rozalski's imgur
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sigh :P If I lived closer to you guys I'd take you out. I may be a fatty but I give off cute little brother pheromones. I'd bring the ladies to you.

    It's because I was raised by the womens.

    Ludious on
  • NocturneNocturne regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Photobucket has the worst design and layout known to man.

    Is there a better free picture hosting alternative?

    Edit: That isn't blocked by my work filter (I don't expect you to know the answer to this one)

    Nocturne on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sigh :P If I lived closer to you guys I'd take you out. I may be a fatty but I give off cute little brother pheromones. I'd bring the ladies to you.

    It's because I was raised by the womens.

    This is my role.

    Silas Brown on
  • JamesJames regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.

    It's okay, their memories will be stored in the afterlife :P

    James on
  • gundam470gundam470 regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Photobucket has the worst design and layout known to man.

    Is there a better free picture hosting alternative?

    Edit: That isn't blocked by my work filter (I don't expect you to know the answer to this one)

    Flickr?

    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Photobucket has the worst design and layout known to man.

    Is there a better free picture hosting alternative?

    imgur homie

    Ludious on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.
    In the words of a great movie, you're puttin' the pussy on a pedestal.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    beans beans

    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • NocturneNocturne regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Unfortunately Flickr is blocked as a social networking site.

    But I will try imgur.

    Thanks!

    Nocturne on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.
    In the words of a great movie, you're puttin' the pussy on a pedestal.

    jay-40-year-old-virgin-300x158.jpg

    Organichu on
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I want a girlfriend but there is a 120% chance that my first relationship will be a complete disaster that includes a fault line opening up and devouring a moderately sized city.

    So I stick with the porno.
    In the words of a great movie, you're puttin' the pussy on a pedestal.

    Man, now that I know what you look like I care about what you say!

    (actually just kidding)

    Also it's not that I'm putting anything on a pedestal, it's that I am pretty sure to screw something up that I'm completely new to.

    Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.