As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Get-In-Shapeathon

• Options
    badjujumanbadjujuman They call me Kotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I won't be able to start until after I graduate, but since registration ends soon I'll hop in now.

Name: Eric Kotval
    Weight: 300-ish (I'll be getting a scale)
    Height: 6' 4"

Goal: I would love to lose 50+ pounds by PAX East, although just getting in shape would be enough for me. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to accomplish this with P90X.

badjujuman on
    "You wanna go Matrix?" - Kris Straub
    "Yeah, I wanna go Matrix." - Scott Kurtz
    (Scott Kurtz panel - PAX East 2010)
  • Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Woo, we're just coming out of the woodwork now, aren't we?

I got my Wii back on Tuesday night, so Wednesday morning I weighed in with Wii Fit, then started the 30 day challenge on EA Active. Holy crap. Sweating BUCKETS. :D It's really, really awesome, way better for keeping you on track and motivated. I guess it's the pre-made workouts that do it.

astillac on
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Name: Jeff "FacelessCog" Lowes
    Weight: ~270 (We don't have a scale on which I can weigh myself while in the wheelchair, and I can't stand on a regular one, so I'm competing in an unofficial capacity only.)

Height: 6'3" standing...significantly shorter in the chair.

Goal: 220 (50 pounds off is a nice, round number)

Rebecca and I are hitting the gym a lot more frequently, now that the weather has improved. I'm seriously powering through my mile on the track now, and working the weight machines to keep my strength up. We'll see if that, combined with a better diet, doesn't do something for me. :)

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    ScottiumScottium Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If anyone would like tips on losing weight, I'd be more than happy to help out! This includes workout routines and eating tips (what to eat, when to eat what, etc.).

Background: A few years ago I was close to...230, I think? I wasn't that large but still qualified for "fatass" in highschool. I'm now 195 with some srss muscle, so I must've lost...maybe 50 lbs of fat? I don't know. Point: I feel it, I know how to start from the ground up and I'm motivated to help 8-)

PS: Cardio at the gym ain't my thing, I might add. Boring. Apparently it isn't really required, though ^^ (NB: I do walk a lot). PM me with any questions, or just ask in the thread and I'll post everything I can!

Scottium on
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll Join in but I can't officially enter (no scale)

Last I checked I was somewhere north of 400lbs :(

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Name: Rae
    Locale: Phoenix, AZ
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: 176.8 wii fit screenie below
    Picture002.jpg

My goals are to weigh around 155 for Prime 2010, and 135 for East 2011. That's about a pound a week, which is about as much as I've been losing the last few weeks (with the exception of the week of PAX-E... gained a couple pounds over the weekend D:)

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hope I'm not too late to get in on this; I just saw the thread.

Name: Audrey
    Locale: Denver, CO
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 290.8
    Scale picture:
    photo-2.jpg

Goal: To be at least 50 lbs lighter by PAX Prime and 50 more by PAX East. I've been mentally prepping myself to get back on this eating/exercize plan that I was on before. It eliminates a lot of processed food from the diet. It can be kind of bland and it's labor-intensive (you even have to make your own condiments) but it works very well. Joining this contest will give me some new motivation to stick with it when I start to have bread withdrawals.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just added my scale pic...starting weight 356.6....

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy cow, I just now saw this thread. I've been struggling to find a way to get and stay motivated to lose weight. If it's not too late, and hell, even if it is, I'd love to join up on this.

If it's kosher, I'll post my info and pic when I get home from work this afternoon/evening.

Also, I've seen P90X mentioned quite a bit... If you are interested in that program but are very out of shape and at that basic beginner level, I suggest getting the original Power90 and working your way up. Same instructor but less crazy than the 90X version. I'm going to try to get back into that, myself.

This sounds great, looking forward to it!

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Susan, today's the cutoff day, so you're just in time! :D

Everyone else, just a thought, but do you think we should have a weekly check-in? Something it keep in our minds throughout the week? A little accountability might make us work harder for the long haul.

astillac on
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    astillac wrote: »

Everyone else, just a thought, but do you think we should have a weekly check-in? Something it keep in our minds throughout the week? A little accountability might make us work harder for the long haul.

Becca was thinking that same thing. A weekly check-in is probably a good idea. It's a way of keeping track of how everyone is doing, and a good incentive for yourself!

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    astillac wrote: »

Becca was thinking that same thing. A weekly check-in is probably a good idea. It's a way of keeping track of how everyone is doing, and a good incentive for yourself!

Agreed! I know having a check-in will keep me motivated throughout the week.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Tip: If you're interested in the P90X, just look on youtube. Granted, it's mostly guys exercising for the camera BUT you can see the routines for free instead of for eleventy billion dollars.

Scottium on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to try and take some before and after pictures. (And maybe post them, if I'm very brave.) I can do that in workout clothes, right? Cuz I don't even own a bathing suit. :P

Is anyone else taking before/after pictures? Just curious.

astillac on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is anyone else taking before/after pictures? Just curious.

One of my motivations to start getting back into shape was showing a coworker an iPhone photo app that I like. He tried it out by taking a picture of me. My face looks like the freaking moon, it's so round. That embarrassing picture will work as my "before" shot, I think.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    AlyMewAlyMew NYCRegistered User new member
    edited April 2010
    That's an awesome motivation. Although I've lose 30lbs...not sure if I can lose anymore. Good luck to everyone else though. =D

AlyMew on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like the idea of the weekly check-in, seems like a good way to keep motivated. As for the before and after picture, I've been thinking about getting my wife to take a picture as a starting point, so I guess I'm down.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Name: JD (but you can just call me Susan, it's cool)
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: tagged below
    scale-day1.jpg Those are my pretty peacock toes and that's 241, not 247 :p

So, when I first moved out here I actually had dropped about 20lbs...but then enter stress, depression, and a train wreck of a relationship and I ended up gaining about 50.

I'm in SUCH a better place in my life now and I really want to finally pursue my weightloss. I've tried to diet and get into an exercise regime before but I never had the support I needed to stick with it. I'm hoping to ultimately lose at least 50lbs by the end of this journey... more would be nice, but 50 is already a big goal.

Win, lose or draw I'm really looking forward to this experience and I hope that we can all help and motivate each other through the hard work ahead.

:)

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just saw this thread and I want to join! It's like 3am Sat. Can I still get in 3 hours late? I weigh about 210lbs and want to get down to 175lbs (my lowest in the last 10 years). I can post a pic from Wii Fit if you'll let me in. :D

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whilst not officialy in the shapeathon I will be trying to lose weight on the sidelines, as said in a previous post.
    I thought of another idea, for a panel in 2011. I'm just throwing the idea out there for now (I know it's too early to start submitting stuff).

For people like me, losing weight is not easy. My metabolism is low, I'm very good at retaining weight, and the only way to get the weight down is to physically work it off, but when your knees lean towards fragile, this is not an easy thing to do.
    This doesn't mean I won't be trying. There's nothing stopping me from walking, and when you consider my size (dwarfs many of the weigh-in readings posted by most of you) it should get the process started. I'd literally have to lose a person before I started doing more demanding exercises.
    Another problem is that, if I do get my weight down to 210 (even my doctor says 180 is unrealistic for me. 210 is what he considers a healthy weight for me), I'd need plastic surgery to remove the leftover skin (your body mass may shrink, but your shell won't).
    Why limit such an experience to just this thread? Why not have a health panel at the convention?

You could cover basic survival at a con (drinking/eating enough to avoid dehydration, for example), how to avoid putting on pounds at a con, most effective methods of weight loss, and (although I would consider this cheating for the shapeathon) even gastric bypass surgery.
    And, if I may, I'll put myself in to speak about the gastric bypass surgery. My wife had it, and it is not a surgery to be taken lightly. It is life altering, and it is not a guarantee that you will lose weight (it requires work on your part to work).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay so even though no one's PMed or asked for advice I'm really keen to help so I'm going to write something. Some of this advice might be "amg I could watch oprah for that" but some will be research-based (by research, I mean The Science). If any of my sciencing is wrong (which I don't think it is, but you never know), call me out plz. Note: this is just personal advice, I'm not an exercise scientist or doctor or anything.

1) FOODZ

i. Frontload your day. If you want a treat, or any kind of bad food that isn't necessarily terrible (e.g. pizza), eat it in the morning. This especially goes for your daily allotment of fat; you should eat most of your fat in the first half of your day, and then eat less as the day goes on so it isn't going into your system when you're resting at night or lying there unconscious (i.e., like, sleeping).

ii. Don't eat in the 3 hours before you go to bed. Once again, this is so there isn't food being digested when you aren't using much energy at all.

iii. If you're used to snacking a lot, at first you'll be hungry all the time. I certainly was. You're just going to have to power through it. You might take some comfort in the knowledge that the cravings - even if they're hunger cravings - do not necessarily signal real hunger. Hunger is a feeling produced by the brain, and it can be produced independent of actual need for food via the hormone grelin. It's important to remember when you last ate and to think about whether or not your body actually needs the food. A little bit of fat (almonds are perfect for this, sorry if you're allergic :() in your tummy can kill hunger pangs pretty well, too.

iv. Little thing, but read the nutrition info on almost everything you eat. You don't have to calculate calorie values vs. your daily total you want (I didn't), but eyeballing "shit son, that has a lot of fat!" ain't a bad thing imo. Think of food in terms of what it can offer you nutritionally; while pizza has protein, (potentially) veggies and decent fat, pop has absolutely nothing to offer you.

2) TEH EXERCISES

i. Muscle is important. Think of fat like storage houses with no power and muscle like working factories: while fat just sits there, muscle requires resources to simply be. If you build muscle, you'll burn more calories at rest. This is good. For building muscle, you'll likely want to start with freeweights for your upper body (looking up bicep, tricep and deltoid exercises on the intarwebs or getting a personal trainer), finding a weight at which you can do 8-12 reps of the first set, and doing three sets of each exercise. Squats, even unweighted ones (when you're heavier you squat as much or more weight than most people at the gym), are a very important exercise. At first, a "squat" for you might just be sitting down on a bench and standing up. That's perfectly okay - as long as your form is good (see: youtubes) and it's difficult, you're wonderful.

Eventually, deadlifts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVozkVvRGVw) are probably the most important exercise you can do, as they use the whole body. They take some working up to, though.

ii. Walking. This is oprah advice: walk everywhere you can, and take stairs as often as you can. Don't be ashamed if you have to stop to rest on a landing or by the sidewalk. Everyone starts somewhere. Walking is also excellent for your mind, as it automatically activates the attention centers of the brain; it's the only shown correlate of brain degeneration prevention in old age. Even walking on a treadmill is good news.

iii. Efficiency. Not all of us have the time to go to the gym every day, and being efficient with your workouts can get you more for less time spent. Here are some tips:
    - People who work three different muscle groups three times a week had greater muscular gains than those that worked out those three muscle groups separately over three different days.
    - Eventually, try to vary your routine. As you learn more exercises, you'll be able to mix and match to do whatever you feel good for that day. This is a good thing. Those who vary routines get more results (regarding muscle, at least).
    - If you're looking to build muscle, work out big muscle groups (legs, back) before you work out the smaller ones. Exercising the bigger ones provides a boost in testosterone that aids in muscle growth for all. Hooray!
    - More oprah advice: cook for yourself more. This not only ensures healthier eating (usually, I'm assuming none of us own a deep frier) but also burns calories in and of itself: you're active, you're moving.
    - Once again, if you're looking to build muscle, you want sugar and protein right after your workout. By "right after" I mean "within 30-45 minutes - there is a optimal window for eating your protein after you lift weights. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy protein powder (I don't), just saying that it's a good no-effort boost to your work.

iv. A Fun Fact?
    - While the brain is ~2% of the body's weight, it burns ~20% of the body's energy. Cool, huh? The number of calories a chess master will burn in a day of serious play is mind boggling. This, I think, might indicate a cool way to burn calories (supplementing your daily exercise, of course...) when you're doing what we all like to do: playing videogames. Playing cognitively demanding games like puzzle or strategy games, or even learning new games and genres can put the pressure on your focus and thinking. You're not only increasing your "brain age" (decreasing? I always thought it was silly), you're burning calories as well.

If you've never played megaman before, now might be a good time to start ;)

I have to go for now, but if I think of anything else later I'll add it!

Scottium on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Good advice, Scottium, thank you.

Okay peoples, I'm off to weigh in over at WW. I'm thinking that weighing in on the Wii was a bad idea, as it seems to be off kilter. Have we picked a day to weigh in? Because I'm voting Sunday. :P

astillac on
  • Options
    StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sunday works for me! I think I am also going to start taking measurements the day we all weigh in. Sometimes the scale doesn't move much but you are still losing inches.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    ok, so our first post will be Sunday the 18th? Are we going to include a picture again or just post weight?

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    KittehKitteh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aw man, did I miss the boat? Am I too late to jump in on this? :(

Kitteh on
    Mew+Mew+Kitty.png
    :: Twitter :: Steam ::
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do we edit/ update our old post or make a new one? And I'll post my stuff on the thurs or fri (15th or 16th) instead of Sunday the 18th, the place where I get weighed is not open on weekends.

I love measurements, it felt awesome when the ladies told me I've taken 19 and a half inches off my body over all.

Rebecca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Rebecca, where do you get measured? I try to do it myself, but I can't really get accurate results there.

I was thinking of making a Gdoc spreadsheet with our weights - easy calculation of our weight loss percentage as well. I may do that today, unless Limond has already done something like that.

astillac on
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I go to a Bariatric Center in my home town. This is their web site . I try to go everyday Mon - Fri because I get a vitamin B shot as part of the program. They close early Fridays so on occasion I will miss that day.

Rebecca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to be away all next week starting on Sat. so if we're doing weekly weigh-ins could I post Friday for this week and then start doing sundays with everyone?

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was out of town for a few days couldn't check up. Allowing Punzie to enter late since I only just got the message today.

In regards to weekly updates that is perfectly fine to do. Ill maybe see about getting a site for people to catalog everything. MAYBE.

As for some useful advice. Drinking cold water will burn more weight than room temperature water. Since your body has to heat up the cold water first. Though it equates to about 5 pounds a year still better than nothing.

Also some research that I saw a while back says one of the best ways to lose weight is to not skip breakfast.

Furthermore the recommened 64 oz of water a day is really only the average, from what I have seen drink about 1/2 your body weight in ounce of water each day. You really won't gain any water weight since most people don't drink enough water so the body stores water when it can, will relinquish those stores once it realizes it getting a suitable amount of water. A note going the bathroom will rise rapidly the first week or so of doing this.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aww, I'm sad that I didn't find out about this until too late. I've been doing a different accountability thing but fell out of contact during the PAX East weekend and stuff and this would have been great. Oh well, best of luck to everyone!

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    One thing I've done to start losing weight is I've gone from 4-5 regular sodas a day to at most 2 Pepsi one's...not only does the pepsi one only have 1 calorie for a 12 oz can, but it has like 54mg of caffeine for 12 oz...normal pepsi only has 34 mg...just a good tip for all the caffeine addicts out there :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So got my wii fit today! Lets see how this works out, 20LBS by pax prime i think i could do it. Also the wii fits recommended weight for me made me lol.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, late to the party as usual, however I have to say that I ordered P90X while at PAX East. I'm only on day 12 of the first set but already I can tell a difference. Still can't do incline push-ups or even half the yoga moves ( mean jesus, Tony ties himself into a damn pretzel!), but damn if the program works even if you just give it your best shot.

All of this is of course so that next year as an Enforcer, I can get an extra small [E] shirt and when someone asks if I can answer a question, I can point to my abs and say "ABS-solutely!"

:lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for letting me join in!

Name: Punzie
    Local: New Hampshire
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight:

I'm not sure if my weight photo will work. I uploaded it to my Flickr, but set it to private, so I don't know if it will show. I don't mind sharing my weight here, but not everyone who visits Flickr needs to know :P

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Limond wrote: »
    As for some useful advice. Drinking cold water will burn more weight than room temperature water. Since your body has to heat up the cold water first. Though it equates to about 5 pounds a year still better than nothing.

Also some research that I saw a while back says one of the best ways to lose weight is to not skip breakfast.

Both true. Additionally, lettuce doesn't have any calories but requires calories to digest and move along. Skipping breakfast is very bad, yes. Slows your metabolism (you haven't eaten for nigh on 13+ hours). Breakfast is biggest, followed by a light lunch and light dinner. The typical western heavy dinner is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Also: If you can get yourself up, do a bit of cardio right before you eat in the morning. It'll burn fat stores and ensures your body burns whatever you put in your stomach right after.

Scottium on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Scottium wrote: »

Both true. Additionally, lettuce doesn't have any calories but requires calories to digest and move along. Skipping breakfast is very bad, yes. Slows your metabolism (you haven't eaten for nigh on 13+ hours). Breakfast is biggest, followed by a light lunch and light dinner. The typical western heavy dinner is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Also: If you can get yourself up, do a bit of cardio right before you eat in the morning. It'll burn fat stores and ensures your body burns whatever you put in your stomach right after.

For those of us with sleeping issues however this also does work at night. Cardio prior to dinner can have the safe effect as cardio in the morning before breakfast.

Mornings are the bane of my existence, I generally can't even eat till I've been up an hour or two. Many years ago I was working with a trainer and that was her advice to me, try running/exercise prior to dinner. At the time it worked like a charm. Unfortunately life sort of intervened.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have heard conflicting reports on when the best time to do exercise is but so far havn't seen any real studies regarding it so take it with a grain of salt. Im just under the impression that it doesnt matter when just as long as you exercise.

Also remember your vitamins and minerals and ovaltine

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have heard conflicting reports on when the best time to do exercise is but so far havn't seen any real studies regarding it so take it with a grain of salt. Im just under the impression that it doesnt matter when just as long as you exercise.

Also remember your vitamins and minerals and ovaltine

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/hq00594_d

This is a good article from the Mayo clinic about timing food and eating. Generally its advised to avoid heavy foods prior to exercise and that eating after exercise (time of day doesn't matter thats more a personal thing I think), is a good idea as it helps replace nutrients.

But it comes down to a specific persons preferences. If you're body is more attuned to a late day/night schedule and you feel better exercising then, do it. If you're a morning person and feel better exercising then, do it in the morning.

However what you eat before you exercise and after exercise is fairly standard no matter what time of day you do it.

I use to munch some honey nut cheerios prior to exercising, not a lot, just a snack, and then I'd have dinner afterwards with a good protein/carb balance.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Probably should have done this sooner but here is a full list of people who have registered:

Limond
    Rebecca
    itzerokewl
    BaconSandwich
    ransim
    Oldmangloom315
    Stephidabefida
    shugarae
    Mystral721
    Susan Delgado

A list below contains people who have registered improperly along with the reason why
    LordDax - no picture
    badjujuman - no picture
    astillac - no picture
    Facelesscog - no picture
    punzie - picture failure

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.