Options

PAX Prime '10 Costumes

• Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know of a good pattern I can use to make the dress that the little sisters wear in bioshock? So far I have found patterns that have one feature and not the other and so on. I am trying ot get a pattern as close as possible to the dress so there is as little free done sewing as possible since I am not very good at it yet. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Edit: I just looked on another forum I have posted on and I have had the suggestions of using a Dorothy from Wizard of Oz or Minnie Mouse dress costume pattern Thank you Curse-Ten and GalFriday, someone on another site also recommended an Alice in Wonderland costume dress pattern =)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorry for typing so much, but can anyone go about telling me how I can make the neck/head piece? I have an idea but a few more suggestions wont hurt!
    To me, it looks like the head piece starts around the base of the neck. My roommate made a pair of fallen angel wings that kind of look like that. Except they went sideways instead of up. This is basically how she did it:

created a harness of sorts that looked like a figure eight which wrapped around from between her shoulder blades to around the front of her shoulders. The vertical pieces were wires (she used coat hangers) that were wrapped in spray painted gauze. I think she used cheap pantyhose for the material. The important thing is to allow the wires to extend below where they connect to the harness, so they can leverage off your back to stay vertical. This prevents the wings from sagging. Given the ones on Dark Ophelia go very vertical, you could incorporate a choker piece to help stabilize them.

oh, and how do you like the EVO? (sorry, that's the first thing I noticed in the shot of the dress) :P

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    SassafrasSassafras Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know of a good pattern I can use to make the dress that the little sisters wear in bioshock? So far I have found patterns that have one feature and not the other and so on. I am trying ot get a pattern as close as possible to the dress so there is as little free done sewing as possible since I am not very good at it yet. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Edit: I just looked on another forum I have posted on and I have had the suggestions of using a Dorothy from Wizard of Oz or Minnie Mouse dress costume pattern Thank you Curse-Ten and GalFriday, someone on another site also recommended an Alice in Wonderland costume dress pattern =)

I second the Alice in Wonderland dress Pattern. The shape of the dress is very similar and most Alice costumes come with a pattern for the pinafore (white apron-like part), which you could shape to the one the Little Sisters wear (if it is the BioShock 2 variant). You could then sew it to the gown.

On another note, I'll be going as Lilith from Borderlands. Any other Borderlands mercenaries out there? I'll want to take a picture with you!

Sassafras on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    While not technically cosplay, I have acquired a particular special piece of clothing. A neon yellow (safety-grade high visibility yellow) t-shirt printed front and back with black text "PAX VIRGIN". On the front it also reads "Be gentle, it's my first time.." and the back also has "I've never done this before...". It also has a UK flag on the right sleeve (since that's where I'm from).

My goal is to get every cool person I meet at PAX to sign it (which means it'll be more signature than shirt by the end)!

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    While not technically cosplay, I have acquired a particular special piece of clothing. A neon yellow (safety-grade high visibility yellow) t-shirt printed front and back with black text "PAX VIRGIN". On the front it also reads "Be gentle, it's my first time.." and the back also has "I've never done this before...". It also has a UK flag on the right sleeve (since that's where I'm from).

My goal is to get every cool person I meet at PAX to sign it (which means it'll be more signature than shirt by the end)!

This brings a tear to my eye. I shall sign it when I see you.

EDIT: Watch out though, everyone is going to go for your nipples whether you be a guy or girl, including me.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

also get some hairspray and dose the fucker, otherwise the sigs will run into each other.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    aseriousitchaseriousitch Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    hml151 wrote: »
    I really want to do cosplay :/ two people in my group are doing it but I just dont know if I have the time and money! I either want to be a silent hill nurse but I can't for the life of me make the mask orrr I want to be a female COG!! I have the chainsaw gun...but I can't even wrap my mind around making the armor xD
    The female of COG Gears of War would probably be expensive looking at the images, but the silent hill nurse is very easy and cheap. You can ebay a nurse costume and rip and dirty plus blood it up. The mask is just dirtied ace bandages, very easy. You can always take an adventure to make the COG.
    I've already made 4 kilts, a splicer costume (for me), and on the way to make a moogle costume (for me). Each kilt was only 20 hrs., moogle will be about 40 hrs., and the splicer was 5 plus I still need to blood it and finish mask. Probably got another 4 hrs on the mask and blood. If you think out the design first, you can usually find a cheap and quick method to finish.
    If you need any ideas email me.

I figured out I'm going as dark ophelia from brutal legend and my boyfriend will be Eddie Riggs xD still debating if I should paint my skin blue too..I had a friend who painted their skin last year and they sweat it all off and it was just a mess lol sooo I still don't know!

Maybe look at trying some blue makeup highlights? Waterproof blue blush/eyeshadow/lipstick and maybe blue nail polish? I'm a Man-Human, so I don't know all the makeupy stuff, but they have pale blue powders right?

aseriousitch on
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Come find us school girls on Friday (9 girls and 4 men in kilts), we would love to sign it. You can find our group in other costumes through the weekend. The second site listed below has the costumes as they are being made and finished (click on the spoiler button). Come find us or I'll look out for the beaming yellow.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just going to have my normal skin color, I wouldn't want to paint myself and have blue rub off on someone at pax lol I'm still thinking about it...

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I figured out I'm going as dark ophelia from brutal legend and my boyfriend will be Eddie Riggs xD still debating if I should paint my skin blue too..I had a friend who painted their skin last year and they sweat it all off and it was just a mess lol sooo I still don't know!
    My friends have used milskin bodysuits for characters that have blue skin. That coupled with Ben Nye makeup which they used other stuff on top of to lock it in so it won't sweat off.

The milskin is nice because it's lycra that is as skin-like as a bodysuit/stocking can get. Not to mention then you also don't have to worry about exposing as much belly as the character does.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The person I've commissioned to do the majority of my cosplay has gotten back to me, and I think it looks quite awesome. Still not sure if I'll be allowed to wear it as an omeganaut, but...

I'm probably going to replace the yellow things with some polished metal chains to look slightly better - unfortunately there's no buttons that are actually that size.

Big image warning:
    http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/2922/dscf8081.jpg

Heleor on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    With this latest hairdo and the fact that it'll be the perfect length by PAX, I am extremely tempted to pick up a matched track suit and megaphone to do this:
    Sue-Sylvester.jpg

All depends on what color my hair is at the end of the month.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be rocking a Vault 77 costume at some point hopefully, The puppet is mostly finished except for the body

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did that last year. Was pretty fun. In fact that is my puppet and lanyard in Liger's sig above you.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    contrefait wrote: »
    Did that last year. Was pretty fun. In fact that is my puppet and lanyard in Liger's sig above you.

My puppet doesnt look nearly as good as that, as its made from FIMO and meant to look more like the actual drawing, and not the actual pip boy.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The number of people already wanting to sign the shirt brings a tear to my eye :lol::lol::lol: Or maybe that's just the threat of nipple-pinching from Curse-Ten...I'm a guy, but will scream like a little girl if that happens.

Now I'm even more excited for PAX!

EDIT: Do I need to spray it with hairspray to avoid the ink running even if I'm getting people to sign in permanent marker? (I've bought a bevy of fine-tipped ones for the purpose)

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The number of people already wanting to sign the shirt brings a tear to my eye :lol::lol::lol: Or maybe that's just the threat of nipple-pinching from Curse-Ten...I'm a guy, but will scream like a little girl if that happens.

Now I'm even more excited for PAX!

EDIT: Do I need to spray it with hairspray to avoid the ink running even if I'm getting people to sign in permanent marker? (I've bought a bevy of fine-tipped ones for the purpose)

yup! trust me. I used to draw on canvas shoes, it applys to most fabrics, try it on a scrap of fabric see what I mean.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    monachusmonachus Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I'd love to see all of the costumes everyone's planning to wear! If I'm able to attend, I'll be in Warden Commander armor (from Dragon Age: Origins) for at least one day. I'm kicking around the idea of making a Flemeth costume based on the promo art from DAII, but waiting to know for certain if I'm going before I begin making it.

monachus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Finished the bloodening on two of the three splicer costumes and their masks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50801739@N04/). And sliced up the third splicers, will blooden that later. I'm now free to work on my moogle costume. I hope to get lots of photos with you all dressed up and those who don't.

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lucky ducky! I wish I could do a splicer outfit! How did you make the mask? I'm curious.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you look through the photos, I started with a base mask. Used tin foil to make it more the right shape and created the shape of the ears. With the ears I used a u-shape of wire in the back of the ear and one in the front to keep it's shape. I stapled (with a staple gun, no stapler) the ears to the mask and then paper mache it with 3 layers (changing direction for up/down to side/side with each) with pancake thick flour/water mixture. Had to let each layer dry before the next, only time I like that it was summer. Cut the eye holes and painted. Did three coats of white (vanilla) paint and two coats of the gold. I know it sounds like a lot, but I completed this project in 10 hrs. (plus some drying time) and this was my first time in almost two decades doing paper mache and ten years since I've painted. The bird mask was much easier, my friend only had to paint the silver on and I structured the beak (which she cut a little to short, but still good) and painted and attached. Are costumes were similar. They were thrift store items that we went savage on. I had to stay stitch my costume the rip just kept getting farther up. And then the bloodening. It was a lot of fun and now just waiting fo the blood to dry and PAX to start.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hml151 wrote: »
    It was a lot of fun and now just waiting for the blood to dry and PAX to start.

Gosh...didn't realise that pre-PAX parties were so brutal. :P

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gosh...didn't realise that pre-PAX parties were so brutal. :P
    Way more fun that way. I'm just excited that we are getting close and I only have one more project. So far, I spliced 3 costumes, made four kilts and crests, altered four shirts, mask, and now my moogle costume to finish. But the pre-party is the kick-start to the whole PAX experience.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The temptation to get another suit together with a golf club and do an Andrew Ryan cosplay is enormous.....

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Omg do it! lol I am going as a little sister and am just waiting on my pattern to ship before I can start on it, there could be a full bioshock group =)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Omg do it! lol I am going as a little sister and am just waiting on my pattern to ship before I can start on it, there could be a full bioshock group =)

I'll study, it'll be a bonus. Hrm, I wonder what kind of Pokemon Andrew Ryan would have.....???

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My friend Kat who played Joanna Dark and Harlequin is most likely going as Gir from Invader Zim.
    She is trying to assemble stuff right now.

Avid on
  • Options
    itashaitasha Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    just got in my gold coins for my Ezio costume today im almost done with it hope i get done in time. i having so much fun with these already they look like roman coin it was the closest to find to coins from europe so i hope it works out i really want to pull out all the stops. cant wait to throw a hand full of these out randomly at the entrance line i wanna see what poeple do. also i want to know who all cosplayin this year i want pics of everyone

itasha on
  • Options
    EnaylaEnayla Wing Addict New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This will be my first year at PAX. I'm really into cosplay and I've hit up quite a few other conventions, but I had a couple questions about costumes at this one. I'm planning on taking two, Vanille from FFXIII and SSBB Peach and I'm wondering a couple things:

Would I have trouble navigating crowds in a somewhat bulky costume as Peach? Is the majority of the con space really packed?
    2562865.jpg

I'm taking Vanille's weapon as well, is there a weapons policy/peacebonding available? (sorry, no pics of the actual one yet)
    %5CAUTOIMAGES%5CSQ80938lg.jpg

And just in general, are people pretty receptive about cosplay? I'd hate to get a negative reaction for being in the minority (for the record, about what percentage of attendees do costumes?).

Thanks so much!

Enayla on
    Facebook: Enayla Cosplay | Steam: Elliria | DeviantArt: Elliria | Twitter: EnaylaCosplay
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Enayla wrote: »
    This will be my first year at PAX. I'm really into cosplay and I've hit up quite a few other conventions, but I had a couple questions about costumes at this one. I'm planning on taking two, Vanille from FFXIII and SSBB Peach and I'm wondering a couple things:

Would I have trouble navigating crowds in a somewhat bulky costume as Peach? Is the majority of the con space really packed?
    2562865.jpg

I'm taking Vanille's weapon as well, is there a weapons policy/peacebonding available? (sorry, no pics of the actual one yet)

And just in general, are people pretty receptive about cosplay? I'd hate to get a negative reaction for being in the minority (for the record, about what percentage of attendees do costumes?).

Thanks so much!
    Your Vallille's weapon looks fine as long as it doesn't actually be a weapon. No sharp blade or other rules that I have pasted below. Your Princess Peach dress should be fine, as long as, it doesn't drag on the floor a lot. You might have problems with someone stepping on it, but otherwise it should be fine. Cosplay is not the majority at PAX, but PAX goers in general are the most excepting people you will ever met. You should expect to be stopped for many photos. It will be fun to see you there and hope to get some photos with you. Our group is dressing up throughout the weekend.

Rules I found:
    Don't bring anything that would annoy another attendee or set us up for a crazy lawsuit. PAX is not an event run by some giant corporate entity; it's a big party we throw for the gaming community in general and PA readers in particular. Have fun, but be cool. As a rule of thumb, nothing with projectiles (loaded or not, including airsoft), and nothing that could be mistaken for real weapons.

I'm wearing a costume that has plastic weapons that look like real weapons. Will I have any problems with security/police?
    Yes. Do yourself a favor and leave anything that resembles a weapon at home.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010

2562865.jpg

That's a stunning Peach costume! You should definitely bring it :)

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    TheParasiteTheParasite Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wooo glad theres going to be some splicers hanging around :D! I'm going as Cohen for my first time, so far this is what I got
    34446_407285816405_732286405_4913809_829116_n.jpg
    Plaster mask :P .

TheParasite on
  • Options
    ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finally got the last stupid part (solid red bandannas are surprisingly not easy to come by, so I'm just making my own) for my TWEWY Reaper costume.

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

2562865.jpg

Thanks so much!

Yeah you should be fine, you might want to be care in the show room for steppage since it can get WAY more crowded than in the merchandise room from Sakuracon. There will be other Peaches so don't worry about being in such a big dress.

We met at Sakuracon, I'm friends with Chasen and he suggested I give you tips for your first PAX, feel free to message me if you have any PAX questions :)

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    EnaylaEnayla Wing Addict New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    Yeah you should be fine, you might want to be care in the show room for steppage since it can get WAY more crowded than in the merchandise room from Sakuracon. There will be other Peaches so don't worry about being in such a big dress.

We met at Sakuracon, I'm friends with Chasen and he suggested I give you tips for your first PAX, feel free to message me if you have any PAX questions :)
    Okay, thank you! I guess I'll get most of my dealer's room stuff done in Vanille, then :P

How would I remember you from Sakuracon? Were you cosplaying at all?

Enayla on
    Facebook: Enayla Cosplay | Steam: Elliria | DeviantArt: Elliria | Twitter: EnaylaCosplay
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think I was Finn from Adventure Time that day I think (I might have been in Dawn or Prince Poo) we gave greetings and then we left. When I told Chasen you were on the forums he suggested I talk to you.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    SeatownstrikerSeatownstriker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Was thinking either The Hitman or Lex Luthor.

Seatownstriker on
  • Options
    TenaciousGGTenaciousGG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Would Scott Pilgrim cosplay be too out-of-place for PAX? I figure with the video game coming out soon and all the video game references in the series, it might be worth considering. My twin sister is dressing up as Ramona for the midnight release of the movie, so I could easily just borrow her costume.

TenaciousGG on
  • Options
    chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    @TenaciousGC - One of my friends plans to cosplay as Ramona. There's no rule saying you have to be game-related if you dress up; you just might have fewer people recognize you.

chicazul on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wear what makes you happy, you may have to explain the costume to some people but that is just another socializing method. My group has some steampunks and anime. Enjoy!

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.