Options

PAX Prime '10 Costumes

• Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Totally out of my cosplaying abilities, but it'd be pretty cool to walk around as altair/Ezio in the middle of a group of prostitutes, with a band of thieves, or even just commoners.

You could also have a kick by carrying around gold coins and just throwing them on the ground. I wonder if security/maintenance would have a problem with that...

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    itashaitasha Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LOL those chocolate gold coins they sell by the bag full at the dollar store i have a leather coin pouch i could put em in! your a GENIUS! it be cheap and so fun to do waling around in that Huge line waiting for the opening or down by where they play magic lol ah man so cool idea or jsut walk by and hand someone a large white feather and walk off lol. my boots wheigh a ton too but i think i could slip in in there hand and bolt then act like blending in to a crowd. XD ah man i think i gonna have to much fun messin with people wont get much table top done this year. so gonna be worth it though. i found a site that sells roman gold coins 2 bucks per 144.

itasha on
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good to see someone else will be going as altiar as well :D
    Its a great costume to get through crowds with. Mine is all cloth, save for suade boots, and foam/rubber belt. Its not great, but it gets the job done.

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    LOL we so need a photo shoot together yeah i went and just paid for the leather stuff this year my dog ate my stuff from last holloween. i kinda upset ill be short one hidden blade for ezio costume i just cant seem to make the one you can see with the big disc on the bottom i cant get it right or to work ^.^x had to do the kenshin face lol. i just bought coins and white turkey feathers i gonna paint a few half red. might i not bringing my swords this year way to heavy to lug around and i think i get introuble. the ezio costume is all cloth. i going as the first costume. with i had the money to do the Altair Black that be sick. ill desided i am gonna wear the bracer when i wear the desmond costume just to make it a little noticable

itasha on
  • Options
    yabukasigiyabukasigi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    im doing a sniper from badcompany 2 or any fps in general, got the camo suit and everything im bringing a water gun with me, question thought would i get in trouble for spraying people with water ? lightly?

yabukasigi on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes you would, you can't do anything that might make you come off as a "prick" so you can't have anything that shoots projectiles of any sort, including water. I know I wouldn't want to be sprayed with water -__- so many people at pax will be carrying their handheld gaming systems and you could accidentally get it wet. It's just a big no no in general.

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Although, by day three, a small percentage of the attendees could probably use a nice splash of water on them...

...coupled with a soap gun.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yabukasigi wrote: »
    im doing a sniper from badcompany 2 or any fps in general, got the camo suit and everything im bringing a water gun with me, question thought would i get in trouble for spraying people with water ? lightly?

It's highly likely you would get thrown out of the convention if you did that.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, please keep the water in your water bottle and not on other attendees, thanks.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    stuffedskullcatstuffedskullcat Head Kerfuffler? I dunno... PDXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hi, this will be my first PAX, but I'll be going with a veteran, VERY excited!

I have a Ghostbusters costume I made, and I'd like to wear it (at least the first day and see if it's too much trouble)... is the power pack something that might be too cumbersome (read: invasive to others' space) to get away with? It's fairly lightweight.

Thanks for any input, I'm really looking forward to this experience!

stuffedskullcat on
    "All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."
    -Frith, Watership Down
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i dont see why not last year tehre was a guy as pyramid head that sword and head were huge it just made more people want picswith hi,. i wouldnt see a problem

itasha on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    gonna go get my AC tattoo on friday whoo desided to go one step up get it as a UV that way it looks almost invisable until its under black light. nice little twist toward the assassins creed idea lol. hope get pics with everyone.

itasha on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PAX East had Ghostbusters, and they were awesome. I don't think your costume would be a problem. :-)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    stuffedskullcatstuffedskullcat Head Kerfuffler? I dunno... PDXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    PAX East had Ghostbusters, and they were awesome. I don't think your costume would be a problem. :-)

Those look great! Thanks for the info, people, looking forward to September.

stuffedskullcat on
    "All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."
    -Frith, Watership Down
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    something happened to my debit card stupid bank thought my PAX 3 day pass was a charge from when the debit card was lost i had to buy 3 passes to go V.V i wanna cry. so much for having 1 cool pax tag now i got to wear 3 on my costume

itasha on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2010
    You only have to wear one at a time.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    You only have to wear one at a time.

oh thank goodness betwen the buttons assassination kits cosplay stuff and swab back back that woula been too hard to keep track of at least that a little easier lol

itasha on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    my dog chewed up my leather belt and boots for my costume! anyone know a medival costume website i bought mine and altered them at the renasance fair down in oklahoma this year. i still really bumbed out cause i cant wear my altair costume complete i got the swords and throwing knives too but oh well

itasha on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    itasha wrote: »
    something happened to my debit card stupid bank thought my PAX 3 day pass was a charge from when the debit card was lost i had to buy 3 passes to go V.V i wanna cry. so much for having 1 cool pax tag now i got to wear 3 on my costume

Are you saying you successfully purchased the 3-day pass, and then your bank submitted a retrieval request or a chargeback on your behalf? Or you tried to buy a 3-day pass but the charge declined?

Either way, if you have documentation of when these things hapened, you should be able to email customer service and get help.

(Or either way, you only have to wear one at a time.)

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Decided to re-tool the Ghostbuster p-pack, the costume is several years old and the pack was getting ragged, everything else should be fine. Won't be an exact replica like a lot of the pro pieces I've seen online, but a reasonable facsimile. Should be sturdier, the old pack was a lot of styrofoam, I'm going with more molded plastic found objects. I may try to rig up a PKE meter and trap if I can.

Finally went through all of the thread posts and can't wait to see everyone's finished works!

stuffedskullcat on
    -Frith, Watership Down
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally can get the wesing machine back from my mom! Hurray! Just looking for a pattern that wouldn't be too much trouble to make a little sister dress (bioshock). I started on the extractor needle and I really didn't like how it turned out so I am starting over on it.

My boyfriend has fully given in to dressing up as well =) he wants to go as an artificer from d&d and is asking me to go as a d&d character as well, I might have to relent. (debating on the class I would be since I have the chainmail out of pop tabs I made or if I would start a costume anew) Suggestions? My current and longest running d&d character so far is my invoker/bard hybrid but I am not sure how to pull that off....must think more on this.

Can't wait to see everyone in costume!!!!! September needs to be sooner!

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    79tomato79tomato Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    random question, a costume I have in mind has a bandolier with bullets and I was wondering if using bullet casings is kosher in a costume? Not fake bullets, but obviously spent casings and there is no gun/weapon involved. ok? not ok?

79tomato on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Will there be anything vaguely firearm-shaped as part of your costume? If not, I don't see why they would be a problem at PAX.

They might be a problem for airport security, if you're flying.

mspencer on
  • Options
    X DarkFairy XX DarkFairy X Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Last year I figured I could spend the whole year attempting to put an Ezio cosplay together. 10 months later and I still have no idea where to start. :(

X DarkFairy X on
  • Options
    79tomato79tomato Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Will there be anything vaguely firearm-shaped as part of your costume? If not, I don't see why they would be a problem at PAX.

They might be a problem for airport security, if you're flying.

nothing firearm shaped at all, and I am not flying though I am crossing the border. there is a leather knife sheath, but I was planning on having that empty to avoid the whole weapon thing.

79tomato on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I workin s hard on my costumes my Ezio costume doestnt look to good and now my Atair costume missing half its parts thanks to my dog... i wish i could wear my hidden blades but oh well. i so bummed i dont know if i can redo my altair costume in time but ezio is done for sure. im still got 2 out of 3 costumes so that might be ok

itasha on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Finally can get the wesing machine back from my mom! Hurray! Just looking for a pattern that wouldn't be too much trouble to make a little sister dress (bioshock). I started on the extractor needle and I really didn't like how it turned out so I am starting over on it.

My boyfriend has fully given in to dressing up as well =) he wants to go as an artificer from d&d and is asking me to go as a d&d character as well, I might have to relent. (debating on the class I would be since I have the chainmail out of pop tabs I made or if I would start a costume anew) Suggestions? My current and longest running d&d character so far is my invoker/bard hybrid but I am not sure how to pull that off....must think more on this.

Rouge i saw a few mages a knight and a couple others havent seen a rouge ranger or barbarian the last few cons i went too one of those might be worth a try or a nome! "im a monster rawr!" you could even carry around a teddy and all it fransis. or the barbarian rawr i sick fransis on em" lol ah those 4th cartoons on youtube way funny that be great if someone could pull it off
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KqjOGdOMtA&NR=1

itasha on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well I'm still on track, got the main body of Tara done so now I need to worry about the hats for that one and Boney (turns out the Mother3 group is probably happening) I'm doing her shoes tommorow and locating the boots for Boney.

Black STILL needs her shorts and boots done but I still have time to worry about Tara. I'm dying Yume Nikki's sweater tommorrow also though I'll probably have to repaint it.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    masseffectmemasseffectme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I am so close to being done with the Commander Shepard N7 armor it's rediculous. The undershirt looks a little wonky but that is because I was sweating so bad I thought i was going to pass out. Fun Times! Here you go:
    P7250107.JPG
    P7250109.JPG
    So Close!!!!!

masseffectme on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    Help Me Fight For The Lost
    www.masseffectme.com
    www.facebook.com/masseffectme
    www.twitter.com/masseffectme
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That is so awesome, well done!

Makes me want to reload my ME game.

stuffedskullcat on
    -Frith, Watership Down
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone is on the fence about doing cosplay, I find it enjoyable especially if it is done well. It makes video and pictures interesting when reflecting back and showing other people. Also if you are an attention whore a lot of media outlets give attention to cosplayers.
    Last year there were quite a few more than usual. 2 thumbs up for lara crofts.

Avid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have purchased a black fitted dress for my dark ophelia costume! Once I start shredding it I'll post some pics. BTW the N7 armor is looking like perfection. I would be so honored to get pictures with you!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
  • Options
    qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i'm thinking about getting a costume, but i just don't really know what to go as. I don't have a ton of time to make something cool, so I've been debating buying a greenman costume and just doing that. hmmmm....

qwhacker on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    qwhacker wrote: »
    i'm thinking about getting a costume, but i just don't really know what to go as. I don't have a ton of time to make something cool, so I've been debating buying a greenman costume and just doing that. hmmmm....

I think you will get a lot of praise for that.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I have been massively productive. Last couple of months I have made four kilts (two need to have velcro added), De-shelved four shirts and taken one up, created a d20 and link triforce crest for kilts, splicer mask (needs painting at this point), and splicer costumes for 3 (the bloodening needs to happen this Thursday), and now I can finish my last project. I start my moogle costume this week, the paws will be a little tricky. Although it has all been tricky, had no pattern for any of this. You can see my progress in the second flickr account below (school girl goodness 2, other link is past pax). We will be in school girls and men in kilts the first day and passing cookies out for child's play donations. Please come take picture with us, enjoy a cookies, and hopefully donate to child's play.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Alright everyone....I only have my dress purchased, but for those of you who are curious this is what it looks like.
    IMAG1059.jpg

I'm going with a shorter dress than Ophelia for practical reasons. I'm going to take some scissors and shred it up and add some free flowing fringe at the bottom and of course the neck piece and also I'm covering up my arms with black gauze. Also, for personal reasons I will not be exposing my belly as much as Ophelia :P

Here is what I want to achieve basically (for those of you just joining.)
    Dark_Ophelia.jpg

Sorry for typing so much, but can anyone go about telling me how I can make the neck/head piece? I have an idea but a few more suggestions wont hurt!

GamingGoddess on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ugh I do have an idea but I can't remember all the details. Basically one of the costume props we used in one of the plays I was involved with had a huge neck piece like that. Most likely you'll need some kind of reinforcement (construction foam I THINK but I'm not sure) and you'll have to shape it to your design, the only bad part is if you bend it you ruin that piece.

You might want to look up Victorian pieces or Elizabethean gowns that have the big neckpieces and go from there.

it looks like a tight dress in the second picture, how you going to walk around in it?

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright everyone....I only have my dress purchased, but for those of you who are curious this is what it looks like.
    IMAG1059.jpg

I'm going with a shorter dress than Ophelia for practical reasons. I'm going to take some scissors and shred it up and add some free flowing fringe at the bottom and of course the neck piece and also I'm covering up my arms with black gauze. Also, for personal reasons I will not be exposing my belly as much as Ophelia :P

Here is what I want to achieve basically (for those of you just joining.)
    Dark_Ophelia.jpg

Sorry for typing so much, but can anyone go about telling me how I can make the neck/head piece? I have an idea but a few more suggestions wont hurt!
    Looks rather like it is frayed black material for the collar. Best suggestion in to find a semi-firm to bendable wire and double the fabric to conceal the wire. Looks like there might be a necklace and collar, that is up to what you want to put into it.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's just going to be to my knees, I noted that I was going to make a shortened version of it. I figured maybe using some sort of wires or something and covering them with fabric for the neck piece. I'm gunna have to do some experimenting.

GamingGoddess on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ya beat me to it hml!!

GamingGoddess on
This discussion has been closed.