Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Plantronix got so much screen time out of this movie.

861289290_160.jpg

Coulson:
    avengers-agent-coulson-1.jpg

Hill:
    Avengers-Maria-Hill-Cobie-Smulders-11-400x600.jpg

Fury wears one too but I can't find a good image of it. These stood out for me because I wear one myself! Best bluetooth headset I've ever owned.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I thought she was pretty good. It's not as if Maria Hill has a huge amount of personality in the comics other than occasionally stroppy but insanely efficient and capable.

I don't read the comics and have no idea who Maria Hill even is, other than what I saw in the movie. I just thought Smulders wasn't any good in the movie. Of course I am biased, as I only know her as Robin Scherbatzky.

How? Her role barely consisted of anything.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Which model is that? I need a good headset, my last was vastly underwhelming.

Discovery 975!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Btw, was I the only one who thought that Cobie Smulders was a total miscast in that movie?

She, like Scarlett, were perfectly cast. Cobie's time spent on preparing for the role paid off well. Keep in mind she paid for her own personal trainer since they didn't give her one from the movie. That's how dedicated she was to Maria Hill.
    I don't read the comics and have no idea who Maria Hill even is, other than what I saw in the movie. I just thought Smulders wasn't any good in the movie. Of course I am biased, as I only know her as Robin Scherbatzky.

She's meaner in the comics. Watch her appearances in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, she's always entertaining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Hill

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    I think I stopped reading comics in general in the late 90s. The last thing I read was Magneto ripping out Wolverine's adamantium skeleton.

the wolverine wankatude got really ridiculous after a while

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Current Marvel movie Thor is very very obviously influenced by Ultimate Thor.

Thor spoilers
    Yes he was influenced, only he was definitely faithful to 616 Thor. They kept the "is he crazy or a god" thing from Ultimates what else did they duplicate from Ultimate Thor?
    The fact that Donald Blake is a reletively unrelated dude rather than an alter-ego?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I think I stopped reading comics in general in the late 90s. The last thing I read was Magneto ripping out Wolverine's adamantium skeleton.

"Wolverine does not actually appear in this comic."

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have nothing against the Thor movie, but that's probably because I had this playing in my head

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    On Hill's cahracter: I am not sure who that character was supposed to be, or supposed to do besides be fury's assistant. I couldn't figure out why they got an actress that was actually recognizable for the role. I thought she was just coulsons back up when he wasnt around to order around.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    On Hill's cahracter: I am not sure who that character was supposed to be, or supposed to do besides be fury's assistant. I couldn't figure out why they got an actress that was actually recognizable for the role. I thought she was just coulsons back up when he wasnt around to order around.
    Maria Hill is basically second in command to Fury, and shield's role changed drastically after she took over in... I wanna say early 2000's?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Nothing they do is short-term. If she was cast here, they intend to use her character in later movies.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Considering what happens in the movie, I think it's pretty easy to guess what Maria's role will be moving forward.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

Are you talking about an entire book dedicated to supporting characters, that doesn't even feature an appearance by the titular (haha, "titular") hero?

Because I think that would piss me right off.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Are you talking about an entire book dedicated to supporting characters, that doesn't even feature an appearance by the titular (haha, "titular") hero?

Not quite. Characters with their own series would have guest appearances by Wolverine on the front cover and nowhere else to boost sales. These were individual issues, not graphic novels.

• Options

Not quite. Characters with their own series would have guest appearances by Wolverine on the front cover and nowhere else to boost sales. These were individual issues, not graphic novels.

Oh, booooooooooooo :v:

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Nothing they do is short-term. If she was cast here, they intend to use her character in later movies.

As a person who has not read the comics, she seemed to have a unusually large role for a seemingly unimportant character. I assumed that they were planning on expanding it in future films.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Maria Hill is basically second in command to Fury, and shield's role changed drastically after she took over in... I wanna say early 2000's?

Yeah, Nick Fury hasn't been head of SHIELD since Secret War back in 2004. They have that storyline going on in the current Avengers cartoon, too. I have a suspicion that they might depose Fury in the SHIELD film and put her in charge.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Yeah, Nick Fury hasn't been head of SHIELD since Secret War back in 2004. They have that storyline going on in the current Avengers cartoon, too. I have a suspicion that they might depose Fury in the SHIELD film and put her in charge.

I'd be interested in seeing Civil War adapted. But I feel like they'd need Spiderman for it, no?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Well, its kind of obvious now that I think of it:
    She'ill stand in for coulson if he's actaully dead

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I'd be interested in seeing Civil War adapted. But I feel like they'd need Spiderman for it, no?

Not really, you could do it with Iron Man and Cap and get the same effect, because Spider Man to this date hasn't been as established in Super Hero world knowledge in the movies, despite having four of them...

I mean going back to the Raimi movies, he wasn't a celebrity in New York till the third one, and this upcoming one is yet another square one reboot.

His unmasking wouldn't be as big of a news story, especially since that was mostly centered around the Daily Bugle in the comics.

I do think Marvel will do Civil War, and it'll pretty much flow more with the Ultimates rather than Marvel 616. It'll be more about Thor not wanting to fight foreign wars just because America has a super team, cap not wanting to be a weapon instead of the honorable soldier he is, etc.

Also, they'd have to change up a few things, because in Marvel movies it's pretty established that Iron Man, despite starting in weapons manufacturing, is pretty damn anti government, so unlike the comics, he wouldn't be on the front lines supporting unmasking and registration.

Actually, fuck it, I don't know if the Civil War from Marvel Comics would work as a movie, without basically overhauling the entire storyline

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You're both correct. Cobie Smulders was given a deal for 6 or more appearances in the films. It will be interesting to see how she handles "babysitting" the Avengers.

Spider-man did this, too. Iron Man did this after his first movie.
    Not really, you could do it with Iron Man and Cap and get the same effect, because Spider Man to this date hasn't been as established in Super Hero world knowledge in the movies, despite having four of them...

I mean going back to the Raimi movies, he wasn't a celebrity in New York till the third one, and this upcoming one is yet another square one reboot.

His unmasking wouldn't be as big of a news story, especially since that was mostly centered around the Daily Bugle in the comics.

I do think Marvel will do Civil War, and it'll pretty much flow more with the Ultimates rather than Marvel 616. It'll be more about Thor not wanting to fight foreign wars just because America has a super team, cap not wanting to be a weapon instead of the honorable soldier he is, etc.

Also, they'd have to change up a few things, because in Marvel movies it's pretty established that Iron Man, despite starting in weapons manufacturing, is pretty damn anti government, so unlike the comics, he wouldn't be on the front lines supporting unmasking and registration.

Actually, fuck it, I don't know if the Civil War from Marvel Comics would work as a movie, without basically overhauling the entire storyline

They'd need to overhaul the whole story line for it to work in a film. I actually think they'd do a better job with the concept then the comics did. IM is definitely who I'd see leading the anti-reg forces with Cap leading the pro-reg. Hawkeye & Widow likely would be with Cap. Banner and Hulk would be anti-reg. They'd need to add some serious firepower to the pro-reg side were this to get into a war between factions on the silver screen.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    they'd also have to introduce a hell of a lot more superheroes in the next three years. otherwise they're registering 4 people

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ayup. Save it for Avengers 3 at least.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Civil War was a pretty bad story idea for the Marvel Universe. I am all for the team beating each other up in the traditional fashion over a misunderstanding, but I want to see them fucking up Kang, or Ultron, or the Masters of Evil at the end of the movie.

• Options
    I love how there is now serious discussion among Disney execs of pushing out a Hulk movie, too, based on a studio finally getting the Hulk right for the first time ever.

I would welcome such a thing. :)

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Not being familiar with Hulk's storylines, where would they go with it? Banner's basically resolved all his main internal conflicts as a character. Is it just a buddy-scientist movie with him and Stark talking about jiggawatts and reversing polarities for 90 minutes? (that would be totally rad)

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Not being familiar with Hulk's storylines, where would they go with it? Banner's basically resolved all his main internal conflicts as a character. Is it just a buddy-scientist movie with him and Stark talking about jiggawatts and reversing polarities for 90 minutes? (that would be totally rad)

Incredible Hulk spoilers
    Start with The Leader who was created in the previous Hulk movie. A.I.M is another possibility, they'd love to have an army of Hulks at their disposal, good team up material with Iron Man as well. There's also The Maestro (just tweak the concept for the MCU).

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Truly fantastic movie. Not much I can add, other than the fact that Whedon is a goddamn MASTER of timing and detail. Consider the Hulk's two big Golden Comedy Moments:
    With the Thor scene, the two of them seem to stop after the monster beatdown for an eternity, though it's just long enough for the audience to come down a bit from that cluster of action to make the coldcock seem that much more out of nowhere. And it's just the extremely casual motion and look on Hulk's face that really sells it.

For the Loki beatdown, that slight pause before Hulk delivers the final two whacks just makes the whole scene at least 50% funnier.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Truly fantastic movie. Not much I can add, other than the fact that Whedon is a goddamn MASTER of timing and detail. Consider the Hulk's two big Golden Comedy Moments:
    With the Thor scene, the two of them seem to stop after the monster beatdown for an eternity, though it's just long enough for the audience to come down a bit from that cluster of action to make the coldcock seem that much more out of nowhere. And it's just the extremely casual motion and look on Hulk's face that really sells it.

For the Loki beatdown, that slight pause before Hulk delivers the final two whacks just makes the whole scene at least 50% funnier.

Besides Avengers I'd like Marvel to put Whedon on other franchises, it's not like Avengers 2 & 3 are going to be made soon. They can put him anywhere - Hulk, Black Widow, Iron Man, Captain America. He'll do them all justice.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    WappaduWappadu Registered User regular
    I've only got a layman's knowledge of Hulk stories, but it seems like that character in particular would have difficulty carrying a movie on his own, even after the great portrayal in Avengers. That's one helluva off/on switch, and the director is hugely limited in what can be shown based on that alone. When he's off, there can't be all that much action. When he's on, dialogue as a means to advance the plot becomes problematic.

Whedon used him like Scottie Pippen. He was necessary and invaluable to making Avengers great, but only because he wasn't required to do it all on his own. While that's probably too general of a statement and could apply to any of the characters, it's especially true of the Hulk, I think.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Besides Avengers I'd like Marvel to put Whedon on other franchises, it's not like Avengers 2 & 3 are going to be made soon. They can put him anywhere - Hulk, Black Widow, Iron Man, Captain America. He'll do them all justice.
    If he's going to helm Avengers 2 and 3, he should be on the creative team for every other MCU.

There, I said it.

Whedon already was. I know he shot the scene in Thor where
    Selvig meets Fury.
    I've suspected he got an uncredited directing scene in The First Avenger by doing the
    epilogue where Steve wakes up in the present. That whole thing looked more like a Whedon project then a Johnson one. They even included that scene in Cap's first scene in Avengers, too.
    The latter is a spoiler for Avengers.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Wappadu wrote: »
    I've only got a layman's knowledge of Hulk stories, but it seems like that character in particular would have difficulty carrying a movie on his own, even after the great portrayal in Avengers. That's one helluva off/on switch, and the director is hugely limited in what can be shown based on that alone. When he's off, there can't be all that much action. When he's on, dialogue as a means to advance the plot becomes problematic.

Whedon used him like Scottie Pippen. He was necessary and invaluable to making Avengers great, but only because he wasn't required to do it all on his own. While that's probably too general of a statement and could apply to any of the characters, it's especially true of the Hulk, I think.

To make the Hulk function better in solo films they need to give him a fleshed out personality like the comics, which Whedon came the closest to doing, and make him speak more then a single sentence in a film. He does talk, just not very much and in stilted sentences. Another advantage is by showing the Hulk's multiple personalities like Mr. Fixit, the smart Hulk, Green Scar etc.

• Options
    In the first stinger after the credits, who is
    The hulk-looking guy who apparently wants to court death?

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Thanos.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

(end of the Avengers spoiler)
    That is Thanos, a heavy hitting villain in the Marvel universe, who is in love with Death. Like he wants to get with Death and have Death's babies. He's a weird one, and immensely powerful. Only the power of one...no...a team of superheroes could stop such a foe...

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Thanos, hand of fate.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Interesting. Reading the wiki.
    that guy seems pretty out-there and otherworldly... but I guess you need something dangerous as fuck to a) challenge the Avengers, and b) top the current movie!

• Options
    that guy seems pretty out-there and otherworldly... but I guess you need something dangerous as fuck to a) challenge the Avengers, and b) top the current movie!
    Yup. In many ways he's more understandable and crazier than Darkseid. I can't believe he actually appeared in a live action big budget movie, and a spitting image from his comic self at that. The public will love to hate him when he finally becomes a big bad.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »
    My god I love the avengers. I loved every single part of it, but I'm not sure if that necessarily means it is good ( I liked Transformers 2, for an example of my horrible taste ). And I have a huge issue with "J Whedon is the best" confirmation bias..

I think I loved it about as much as I loved the Dark Knight, but I wouldn't
    Yup. In many ways he's more understandable and crazier than Darkseid. I can't believe he actually appeared in a live action big budget movie, and a spitting image from his comic self at that. The public will love to hate him when he finally becomes a big bad.
    Yeah, I kind of feel like it takes big balls to run with him in a movie. I'd have preferred Ultron, along with all the crazy Hank Pym goodness.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
This discussion has been closed.