As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Old Thread

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    It'll make you feel better later.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So what are the chances the PC version will get fan modded to fix issues people are having, or just to change stuff?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    What orphans? And no, he dies no matter what. I even tried tranq shotting him.
    On your Stats screen in your service record, the game keeps count of various things. How many enemies you've killed, what you've killed them with, how accurate you are on average with certain weapons.

And how many orphans you've created.
    The current count for my current playthrough is 141, by the way.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    What orphans? And no, he dies no matter what. I even tried tranq shotting him.
    On your Stats screen in your service record, the game keeps count of various things. How many enemies you've killed, what you've killed them with, how accurate you are on average with certain weapons.

And how many orphans you've created.
    The current count for my current playthrough is 141, by the way.

"They, uh, have a mother too Champ."

"Yes, but I imagine she would die of grief."

Bioptic on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So what are the chances the PC version will get fan modded to fix issues people are having, or just to change stuff?

People have been digging around the configuration files to try to fix things like that mouse smoothing problem but who knows if there will be dedicated fanbase to make significant changes to the game. Someone on SA found this line somewhere in the game files but I don't think anyone has tested to see if it makes a difference.
    [APGame.APPawn_Player]
    PlayerSneakingEnemyVisionPercent=0.5f

Tertiee on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So... has this been brought up yet?
    Still no real confirmation as to its authenticity, but it certainly sounds authentic enough.

What exactly sounds authentic? This scentence?
    and created all these absolutely shitty systems and wouldn't listen to any of the real designers or devs about things that just didn't work,
    or this
    instead, though, they focused on adding still more features and never fixed the ones they already had. That is a recipe for tons of bugs and no polish

First of all. It's probably 100% sure that the development of the game wasn't without drama. But both of this says nothing to me. What systems? What features were added?

It's incredible generalized. Now, mind you. This could still be true, but I don't see anything that went into detail. This sounds way more like an angry trollpost.

Not to mention, if he was an employee, he is beeing a dick. Big time. We don't even know what he worked on. Was he even one of the deesigners?

It's "I come home and I complain about work" level.

Also, Alpha Protocol is still awesome for me. It's not more buggy (even less) or less polished than other titles that became legendary. Including Deus Ex, Vampire, PST....

C2B on
  • Options
    FiannawolfFiannawolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just got this about 2 hrs ago, finished the intro mission and no achievements are unlocking on the 360. Anyone else have this problem?

Fiannawolf on
    N7+Ghostwolf.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Being a dick to Darcy is awesome. Beyond the fact that it's netted me two perks so far.

It just feels good.
    Do you still get the photoshopped buddy cop poster?

And do you do this simply through conversation during the tutorial or something? If so I've got try this for my next run.

EDIT: Fiannawolf, no I haven't had problems with my Achievements so far. As far as I know.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Question about the last (?) mission in Saudi
    How in the hell do I kill this armored death machine with a pistol?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Being a dick to Darcy is awesome. Beyond the fact that it's netted me two perks so far.

It just feels good.
    Do you still get the photoshopped buddy cop poster?

And do you do this simply through conversation during the tutorial or something? If so I've got try this for my next run.

EDIT: Fiannawolf, no I haven't had problems with my Achievements so far. As far as I know.
    So far it's just been conversational and the training mission with Mina.

I didn't get a poster, but I got a plaque from him.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Theres several rocket launchers about near trucks.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You don't.
    There are one-shot missile launchers spread around the area. Use those.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thing is Im at the first safe house and the training mission achievement hasnt unlocked. Or does that unlock after you complete the 3 missions in the first area after the intro? I thought it would unlock when.....
    you've completed the tutorial, woke up ect after the hospitial sequence and Im already infiltrating the air port in Saudi.

Fiannawolf on
    N7+Ghostwolf.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Basic Training (Bronze) Complete the Training Mission.

So it must not have unlocked.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hmmm, well I was only about an hour in, I could delete all the save files and redue the whole thing. Besides It took me over 10 mins to figure out the computer hacking part. That thing is evil on the eyes. :P

Fiannawolf on
    N7+Ghostwolf.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are you sure its not unlocked?

Im pretty sure Saudi isnt part of it because theres a trophy for completing Saudi.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Time to start a replayyyyyyyyyyyy.

Tube has your opinion ch anged any yet? I really thought since we both liked Bloodlines that you'd be into this, warts and all. Im surprised at how much you dislike it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I think this is literally the first time I've ever been unable to adequately control a camera in a 3D space with a mouse. I didn't even think it was possible to fuck that kind of shit up in this day and age. Playing with a 360 controller now and it's functional at the very least.

I absolutely love the design (and most of the execution) here, but there's nuts and bolts issues all over the place. Stuff that I don't think would even be hard to fix. Stuff that they've done right in previous games. I'm kind of perplexed.

Monger on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't really see gaining rep with Darcy at any point in this game.

Also, for 80s guy:
    I'm glad as hell I upgraded pistol. AR wasn't very effective, he sponged up the bullets and then cut through my 120 armor in a flash. It's kind of ridiculous how fast he moves and how much he cuts up for. First chainshot halved his health, second was wasted as he had just jumped down from stage and apparently that animation can make him unhittable, so I had to run around and wait for it to recharge. Seems like a very poorly designed boss.

Still enjoying it, though.
    C2B wrote: »
    Also, Alpha Protocol is still awesome for me. It's not more buggy (even less) or less polished than other titles that became legendary. Including Deus Ex, Vampire, PST....

It's more wonky than Deus Ex.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just to mention, penultimate boss fight, I ended up having to Chain Shot
    Darcy
    , too - I read there was a
    sniper rifle in the other tower in the arena
    , but funnily enough I didn't ever need to use lockpicking, so I never put any points into it and ended up faced with having to do what, five locks in ten seconds? While almost constantly under fire. Yeah, not happening. Not totally blaming the game, but I would have hoped the finale would have offered more stealthy options than just 'turn invisible, then slow down time and shoot everyone in the head repeatedly'.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I played RDR all day yesterday.

And every time I got killed because of the lame ass cover system, or every time I saw a deer fly through the air, or shit randomly pop in, or how the game gets pretty repetitive during the Mexico missions, or how there's a bug that keeps switching my weapons around, I thought about how all of those detracted from the game and reviewers gave it 6s and 7s.

Wait, no, I didn't. I just did a little mental comparison in my head and realized that maybe game reviewers just don't know shit.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just got this downloaded for the PC and I have to say holy shit is this thing poorly optimized. I've got a 5850 running on this thing and I'm not even getting 30 FPS and it still looks blurry at 1080p. Mass Effect 2 looks far, far better and runs at a constant 60 FPS. The graphics aren't what I'm concerned with, but cripes, there's no reason this shouldn't be running at at least 30 FPS constantly.

The control stuff is also kind of stupid. Yay, I can use a 360 controller! Too bad you can't reassign jack shit. You can't even invert camera controls for the 360 controller. Of course, this seems to be something virtually all devs are too lazy to do properly so it's hardly specific to Obsidian.

Maybe I'll get used to it, but those are complaints I encountered within minutes of starting the game.

EDIT: You can invert only the Y-axis. It's under "Game" instead of "Controls" for some idiotic reason.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone have a problem with the camera spazzing out everytime a scripted event happens?

It's made the game unplayable for me.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmmm... beat it. Liked the game overall quite a lot, flaws notwithstanding. It's ridiculous and clearly the worse for development hell, but it does entertain. The finale is deeply underwhelming though. Lots of the setpieces just feel rushed, the whole Big Reveal is very '...meh', the boss fights are just... sorry, it just didn't feel particularly satisfying frantically Chain Shotting all of them after hiding in a corner for a few seconds. Not to mention if I got a cutscene at all it showed me doing something completely different. Plus a last-minute twist says wha?

I liked it, but dear God, please, please, please, Obsidian, get a decent producer in? Learn some time management skills? It's frustrating being a fanboy sometimes - I couldn't be too down on anyone for hating this, though I don't think it deserves to be dismissed. Oh well. I'd like to give it at least one more playthrough, see about pissing a couple of people off, try a different skillset... the finale was horribly weighted against stealth, and without Chain Shot would have been near impossible.

Beat is already? What is the game like 5 seconds long or something?

Sirson on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anybody order this from Amazon, they still haven't shipped my copy.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just got this downloaded for the PC and I have to say holy shit is this thing poorly optimized. I've got a 5850 running on this thing and I'm not even getting 30 FPS and it still looks blurry at 1080p. Mass Effect 2 looks far, far better and runs at a constant 60 FPS. The graphics aren't what I'm concerned with, but cripes, there's no reason this shouldn't be running at at least 30 FPS constantly.

Did you turn off Motion Blur? If not, that is the reason everything is blurry to you. I highly recommend killing motion blur, it sucks.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sirson wrote: »
    Hmmm... beat it. Liked the game overall quite a lot, flaws notwithstanding. It's ridiculous and clearly the worse for development hell, but it does entertain. The finale is deeply underwhelming though. Lots of the setpieces just feel rushed, the whole Big Reveal is very '...meh', the boss fights are just... sorry, it just didn't feel particularly satisfying frantically Chain Shotting all of them after hiding in a corner for a few seconds. Not to mention if I got a cutscene at all it showed me doing something completely different. Plus a last-minute twist says wha?

I liked it, but dear God, please, please, please, Obsidian, get a decent producer in? Learn some time management skills? It's frustrating being a fanboy sometimes - I couldn't be too down on anyone for hating this, though I don't think it deserves to be dismissed. Oh well. I'd like to give it at least one more playthrough, see about pissing a couple of people off, try a different skillset... the finale was horribly weighted against stealth, and without Chain Shot would have been near impossible.

They cited Way of the Samurai as a huge influence, so most likely, yeah. They can't have a game where your every choice actually matters in hugely significant ways and then make the game last for 80 hours. The game is meant to be enjoyed over multiple playthroughs, god forbid. It's not a "one time through and you're done" kind of game.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Does anyone have a problem with the camera spazzing out everytime a scripted event happens?

It's made the game unplayable for me.
    When I was using the mouse, yes. Using the 360 controller, no.

Well, it actually just spazzed out at random all the time, so kind of.

Monger on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Did you turn off Motion Blur? If not, that is the reason everything is blurry to you. I highly recommend killing motion blur, it sucks.

Yeah - I noticed that Motion Blur just wasn't designed for mouse controls (which have you move the camera more frequently) and for the Xbox pad with higher sensitivity - it's blurring constantly. Just disable it, and everything will look pin-sharp at 1080p. Have no idea about the 30 fps thing - perfectly smooth for me and on a far worse graphics card, aside from the stuttering mid-level when it loads up a new section.
    Sirson wrote: »

They cited Way of the Samurai as a huge influence, so most likely, yeah. They can't have a game where your every choice actually matters in hugely significant ways and then make the game last for 80 hours. The game is meant to be enjoyed over multiple playthroughs, god forbid. It's not a "one time through and you're done" kind of game.

It really isn't that short, though. I mean, you can probably barrel through it with an offence character, but playing as a moderately careful Stealth build each of the meatier missions can take an hour. Considering there's very little 'filler' or downtime, I'd say there's a pretty significant chunk of content by action game standards. But it is indeed highly replayable - not only do different choices affect the fates of various characters and their relationship with you, they can completely change the flow and objectives of missions.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just to mention, penultimate boss fight, I ended up having to Chain Shot
    Darcy
    , too - I read there was a
    sniper rifle in the other tower in the arena
    , but funnily enough I didn't ever need to use lockpicking, so I never put any points into it and ended up faced with having to do what, five locks in ten seconds? While almost constantly under fire. Yeah, not happening. Not totally blaming the game, but I would have hoped the finale would have offered more stealthy options than just 'turn invisible, then slow down time and shoot everyone in the head repeatedly'.

Just a reminder, the first level of sabotage (only 3 AP) lets you use an EMP to automatically resolve any minigame

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Played this till 6 AM then passed out. Going to play it more once I get home. It's quite fun, but it has it's issues.

Noticed once you hit a checkpoint the guards behind you vanish if you reload. Noticed this because I alerted an "elite guard" and ran to the left, triggering a checkpoint, then dying.

It's not a bad game. It has it's quirks, but there's nothing here a patch can't fix, and Obsidian are great about post release patches. I simply don't understand the kind of hate the game is generating from some people.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also, for the mouse control being wonky, disable mousesmoothing in APInput (in your documents folder) and DefaultInput in the game folder. And some possible solutions to the mouse stuttering:
    Spoit wrote: »
    Also, since this is now out in NA steam, some suggestions to deal with stuttering (though, I haven't tried them myself so I can't comment on how well they work)
    In APEngine.ini (C:\Users\username\Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config), change the following settings:

MinSmoothedFrameRate=20
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30
    UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
    OnlyStreamInTextures=true
    OneFrameThreadLag=false

Also, for the lag when loading new areas or the PDA, try restarting your computer.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Played this till 6 AM then passed out. Going to play it more once I get home. It's quite fun, but it has it's issues.

Noticed once you hit a checkpoint the guards behind you vanish if you reload. Noticed this because I alerted an "elite guard" and ran to the left, triggering a checkpoint, then dying.

It's not a bad game. It has it's quirks, but there's nothing here a patch can't fix, and Obsidian are great about post release patches. I simply don't understand the kind of hate the game is generating from some people.

Kotaku just published a review that's surprisingly fair and impartial, I was surprised. I really can't understand the pure vitriol this game is inspiring. You'd think people had never seen a buggy game before. I mean, shit, God Hand and Deadly Premonition?

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I don't remember KOTOR2 getting much patch support. Was Atari/Obsidian much better with Neverwinter Nights 2?

Tertiee on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just finished a boss fight against some old guy.
    It took sixty shotgun shells at close-range to beat him - and then some follow-up from an assault rifle - even though almost everything else dies to one shot.

And three in four times that I retried the boss fight, nothing would spawn so I'd have to reload my save. I actually think this happened on a Saudi Arabia boss fight, because nothing spawned and then I walked into a cut-scene with Thorton kicking a previously invisible goon off a bridge.

Also, the mouse control sucks balls. There's wildly different sensitivity values for when you're standing, moving, aiming and using a stationary weapon.

Also, you can't kill someone if you accidentally knock them out first with something.

Also, Michael Thorton is a dogfucker.

Thank fuck this was a budget release!

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

I don't remember KOTOR2 getting much patch support. Was Atari/Obsidian much better with Neverwinter Nights 2?

At launch NWN2 was practically unplayable, the patches did a lot to fix that.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Tertiee wrote: »

At launch NWN2 was practically unplayable, the patches did a lot to fix that.

KOTOR 2 was a bit harder to patch on account of the whole "Being on an Xbox" thing; console-based updates only really came into their own this generation.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was mildly interested in this game and was expecting fewer issues considering how often I heard that this game had more time budgeted to complete it than they needed. It seems like it's worth waiting a few months more before purchasing.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    I was mildly interested in this game and was expecting fewer issues considering how often I heard that this game had more time budgeted to complete it than they needed. It seems like it's worth waiting a few months more before purchasing.

It's a lot less buggy than NWN2 or even Kotor2. And to be honest, a lot of the bugs seem to be them not being as experienced with the idiosyncrasies of UE3 as other devs who've been working with it for years

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Artereis wrote: »

It's definitely not showing four years of development, but it's not so bad. Gameplay is like a poor imitation of Deus Ex (don't believe anyone who says it's just alike, they're insane), and skills are imbalanced (take pistol no matter what you plan on doing, Jesus), but it's more uninspiring than downright bad (but it still ain't good). Conversations are interesting and judging by the spoilers I haven't been able to resist, there's a lot of potential for branching storylines and character relationships, which are clearly the game's strong suits.

Basically if you like games like Deus Ex and Mass Effect and are willing to endure poorer gameplay and some wonkiness (but nothing critical so far), you'll probably like it. I can't say if the story is as good as those two yet, but I got the PC version for 25% off thanks to the Shire, and I have yet to regret it.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png