Options

[DIABLO II] Not even death can save you from me!

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Beasteh wrote: »
    augh tal's armor dropped on a baal run and i wasn't quite fast enough

People are still click fiends who disregard someone saying "I'm actually going to use 'X'"?

Diablo, never change. And thanks for reminding me never to do a pub run so I don't blow an artery in my brain out of e-rage.

Robman on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bnet will never change

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If meteor is your main skill: max meteor, fireball, fire mastery, rest in fire bolt.

If fireball is your main skill: max meteor, fireball, fire bolt, rest in fire mastery.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think you mean people will never change if you think anonymity plus random loot, plus rare valuable drops equals gentlemanly loot allocation.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I generally try to play multiplayer under the maxim "don't be a raging douche-cock", excepting smack talk of course.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    If meteor is your main skill: max meteor, fireball, fire mastery, rest in fire bolt.

If fireball is your main skill: max meteor, fireball, fire bolt, rest in fire mastery.

What about FI's?

On my sorc I use fireball and forb mostly, meteor for tougher guys/bosses.

To the best of my recollection I went 20 Forb, 20 meteor, 20 fireball, 20 fire mastery. 1 point fire bolt.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    I generally try to play multiplayer under the maxim "don't be a raging douche-cock", excepting smack talk of course.

Well, when it comes to other PAers we generally wont fuck each other over, will give each other items / let them take drops if they need it.

Random people on bnet though? Its pure cutthroat.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've seen people handing out dropped stuff to complete strangers in baal runs like Sandstorm Treks and Um runes.

Some people are just doing it for the exp.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    See I was thinking 156 for STR. Guess I remember something after all, lol.

So base Energy? She'll be some kind of orb sorc. Haven't decided yet if I want to do Meteor or just Fireball.

Base energy if you're not going to use Energy Shield.

This will suck until level 29 (when you can get your mercenary an Insight for some meditation aura); luckily, before level 24 you can generally get away with hitting things with a sword and normal attack - maybe with a Leaf in a +3 enchant staff for prebuff to speed things up.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »

What about FI's?

To the best of my recollection I went 20 Forb, 20 meteor, 20 fireball, 20 fire mastery. 1 point fire bolt.
    Meteor, Fireball, Fire Mastery/Fire Bolt are only 60 points.

That leaves 20 in Frozen Orb, 6-10 in Cold Mastery (it has diminishing returns after 18), rest in Fire Mastery/Fire Bolt.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what HRs do you guys think i can get away with with a 20/15 zon torch?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    See I was thinking 156 for STR. Guess I remember something after all, lol.

So base Energy? She'll be some kind of orb sorc. Haven't decided yet if I want to do Meteor or just Fireball.

Base energy if you're not going to use Energy Shield.

This will suck until level 29 (when you can get your mercenary an Insight for some meditation aura); luckily, before level 24 you can generally get away with hitting things with a sword and normal attack - maybe with a Leaf in a +3 enchant staff for prebuff to speed things up.

Honestly if you're going bog standard Meteorb you're pretty good from 16 on if you get a 3 stack belt and load it up almost entirely with mana and use it on fireball. Get a leaf with fireball in it for extra fun, the slightly increase on the blast is worth the extra mana pain.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I just leech with frost nova in big games.

Same with 1 point hammers or holy fire/freeze for paladins.

Nothing like standing in front of baal sipping some tea and let the aura do the work.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So no need to pop in any points for synergies with Frozen Orb?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No. In fact as soon as you hit 30 put points in Fire Mastery, Frozen Orb, and Frost Mastery, and then giggle as you just made any remaining normal and most of Nightmare a gigantic joke. Max orb first and make sure you get the range down.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »

What about FI's?

Huh.

Meteor has a 1.2 second cast delay, this is 30 frames. With 105% fcr, you can get a 9 frame attack to toss fireballs out. 105% is not difficult to reach with equipment like Spirit so it's almost always the case that fireball delivers more damage per second than meteor. Plus, you don't have to wait for the meteor to hit.

(the cost is that it requires more mana and 105% fcr, but well these aren't difficult)

Of course, optimally one would cast Meteor, then three fireballs, then Meteor again.

As for which to max first: whether you put points into fire mastery or fire bolt actually depends on how many +skills you intend to have. If you envision getting more +skills from equipment, fire bolt turns out to be a better investment. A sample of the math is here. Chen's works as a rule of thumb, but for maxing fire mastery before firebolt or firebolt before fire mastery is generally non-ideal.

Meteorbs also need 20 in Frozen Orb and 7~ in Cold Mastery.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The FO synergy is absolutely worthless, it only adds 1% per hard point. So 20 hard points in FO, enough to get to lv. 17 Cold Mastery, and then pick a skill tree you like (Meteor/Fireball, Chain-Lightning/Lightning). I personally like the Fireball spam, especially if you can hit the 105 fcr bp.
    nealcm wrote: »

Maybe a Gul if you're lucky? I speak based on JSP, in that there's a TON of people selling torches. Unless you have a perfect one, or a high pally/storch you won't be approaching HR territory.

e: I'm so slow. I believe I was better off going with a 50/50 split between Fire Bolt/Fire Mastery when I went Blizzard/Fire Ball, but I had no points in Meteor, which is another great build if you plan on MFing Mephisto 24/7 as well as other lv. 85 areas.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah when I say I use meteor on bosses, what I mean is that is pretty much the only scenario when I use meteor. I intersperse fireball and meteor.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Meteor versus Fireball depends on the situation. If shit needs to die right away its fireball, if my merc is tanking or they are slow have no range I'll use Meteor, especially if grouped.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    fuckyouetheral.jpg

fuck you ethreal.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    lordswing wrote: »

Maybe a Gul if you're lucky? I speak based on JSP, in that there's a TON of people selling torches. Unless you have a perfect one, or a high pally/storch you won't be approaching HR territory.

thanks man, i'm pretty cool with gul and below for a ztorch. was kinda hoping for a vex for my paladin's someday-dual-dreams which will never happen but i'll definitely take pul+

guess i misunderstood what i meant when i said HR, so like, pul to gul are "midrunes"?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ist used to be a HR sometimes (but not Gul), but I think Vex is the cut-off now with the increased drop rates. Even then, on JSP the prices are different based on usage.

Vex ~20
    Ohm ~40
    Lo ~60
    Sur ~ 30 (mostly Ber material)
    Ber ~ 75
    Jah ~ 70
    Cham ~ 20
    Zod ~ 60

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vex is where the endgame runewords for cookie-cutter builds start - Heart of the Oak - so Vex gets to be a HR.

Perhaps not coincidentally, it's also where Countess rune drops end (her rune drop goes up to Ist).

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, so base energy means no points in it, right? So you're telling me as a sorc I shouldn't put any points into energy?

I'm confused, I think.

Right now I'm level 15ish and I've put almost all my points into energy and I'm still running out of mana. I'm also finding that I don't do shit for damage with either Ice Bolt or Ice Blast.

What am I doing wrong? Tell me how to play. :P

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes, don't put any points in energy unless you're rolling an Energy Shield sorceress. It's never enough anyway, as you've seen, and Vitality is simply too important.

Spending 14 * 5 = 70 stat points into Energy probably merits using your first restat, I think. Put them into strength for equipment and vitality instead.

Neither Ice Bolt or Ice Blast do much damage, in lieu of slowing enemies instead. Just pick up a sword and hit things, mixed with an occasional ice bolt/whatever when mana permits.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow a Lo is 60 now? Jesus.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    still iso a sorc torch (have a 13/11 necro torch to trade)

Beasteh on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I'm playing this game... again. 'cause why not, right?

Anyways, I never really got into the online thing before (odd, I know) so it's all a bit overwhelming. The goal is to basically rush through the story and then level up later, right? Are there any guidelines for the whole thing? I'm about to get through Act I as we speak... at level 3.

Also, any good Necro guides out there?

admanb on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You don't have to rush through, it's just that most of us have done the story before and we just want to play around at the 80+ area.

If you want to walk it, walk it. Don't let anybody stop you.

Necromancer: depends what you want to do. Summon skeletons?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Its all about what you want to do.

I think I have some necro gear I can send over as well. I dunno how useful it will be at a low level though...

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ZulkirZulkir Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    i was thinking about trying lightning

it seems fun and killtastic

and i have two respecs to burn

My assassin rolls Trapsin now, and after tossing down 5x lightning trap shit just explodes unless it's lightning immune

At which point I turn tail and run for the goddamn hills

That's what merc/shadow + fire blast is for.

And/or Death Sentry.

There's an interesting post on the Amazon Basin called "Playing with Fire" where the author explores a few builds that use elemental/poison adders in conjunction with Dragon Talon to deal with [insert element] immunes. I found it inspiring.

Zulkir on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    You don't have to rush through, it's just that most of us have done the story before and we just want to play around at the 80+ area.

If you want to walk it, walk it. Don't let anybody stop you.

Necromancer: depends what you want to do. Summon skeletons?

Skeletons and/or bony death, depending on what's viable.

And yeah I've finished the game an infinite number of times, so I have no particular drive to see it all again.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i have a white colossus voulge and it is calling to me

"go lightning and make me infinity"

but by calling i mean mocking because i will never ever see a ber in my life

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    2 bers at that

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Skeletons and bone spear/spirit both consume a lot of points each, so generally there isn't a way to comfortably combine the two. Spear/spirit main with a few skeletons as disposable meatshields is might be viable.

For skeletons: 20 raise skeleton 20 skeleton mastery 20 corpse explosion. Skeletons get a first kill, CE finishes off the mob. Remaining points can go into Golem Mastery (for Iron Golem items) or Skeleton Mage (for elemental damage). Curses: 1pt everything, all the curses have uses. 1pt Revives and Summon Resist, too. Fire golem is useless, don't take it. Take blood only if you're intending to use iron golem in the future. If no iron golem, clay is always good.

For bone: 20 spear 20 spirit 20 prison 20 wall remaining teeth. 1pting skeletons or Decrepify or AI curses may help too.

Bone is more equipment-dependent for viability, due to weaker meatshields. Also, need for tons of FCR.

For both, strength for equipment, dexterity base or enough for max block depending on how you want to play it, base energy, rest vitality.

Someone else can sketch out the equipment options, I'm going to bed. Night! :P

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    we are about to do some ubers with dinoarus' keysets

in patrist at the moment

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh oh let me play too! What game are you in?

stfuad on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    we finished, he only had two keysets

ztorch and btorch

storches don't exist btw

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    indeed they don't.

smiting being done in pawang1

stfuad on
  • Options
    starfallstarfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    iso tal rasha amulet and IK helm

also. i just got tamp baned but i left a bunch of free crap from hell baal runs under the fire in pamule

starfall on