Options

[The Walking Dead] Season one is over "Man I'm gonna get shitfaced drunk, again"

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like if we want to discuss the comic, we either need to head to Graphic Violence, or be a lot more careful with spoilers in this thread.

It was self-regulated well enough in the True Blood thread, so there's no reason people can't be respectable here.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, on Halloween our party of about 15 were pumped to drink and watch this. We watched most of it. We thought it ended
    at the scene where Rick says "I'm sorry this happened to you" and shoots the halfsies zombie, also where Morgan couldn't kill his zombiewife. The melancholy music.

I was disappointed by the "end" of the show.. imagine my surprise when I found out I had missed about 1/3 of it. :D

Can't wait for more! I'm staying away from comic spoilers!

For those who do read the comics, how many issues in the series did the first episode go through? If only one, then this has potential to go for a very long time!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    ProstheticaProsthetica __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Prosthetica on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like if we want to discuss the comic, we either need to head to Graphic Violence, or be a lot more careful with spoilers in this thread.

It was self-regulated well enough in the True Blood thread, so there's no reason people can't be respectable here.

True Blood is getting pretty different from the books it was made from though, so much so that many book spoilers haven't really impacted on anything in the series.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Man, on Halloween our party of about 15 were pumped to drink and watch this. We watched most of it. We thought it ended
    at the scene where Rick says "I'm sorry this happened to you" and shoots the halfsies zombie, also where Morgan couldn't kill his zombiewife. The melancholy music.

I was disappointed by the "end" of the show.. imagine my surprise when I found out I had missed about 1/3 of it. :D

Can't wait for more! I'm staying away from comic spoilers!

For those who do read the comics, how many issues in the series did the first episode go through? If only one, then this has potential to go for a very long time!

I'm not sure how it goes with the actual issues, as I only get the trade paperbacks. That being said, the last trade to come out was volume 12. The first episode covers about 1/3rd of volume 1, or about 38 pages. Of course, not all the scenes are the same, some are shuffled around, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they stretched the first season to the end of the first book.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just watched the pilot via that stream linked earlier.

You guys sure made a lot of hoopla about
    the horse. I mean, really, that creature probably had the most toned down death scene in that whole show. It practically laid down and transformed straight into a buffet. Now, mind you, I didn't WANT to watch a horse in agony or anything, but that wasn't so bad. Reading this thread I was expecting something intense, maybe closeup shots of the horse's panicked eyes rolling back in its head, or...well. Point being. That wasn't so bad, I thought, the way it went.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, most speculation I've heard is that the first season will cover the first hardcover book, and end in essentially the same place.
    No, seriously, this is a spoiler for the comic, and probably the end of the season.
    Their arrival at the prison.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

the horse. I mean, really, that creature probably had the most toned down death scene in that whole show. It practically laid down and transformed straight into a buffet. Now, mind you, I didn't WANT to watch a horse in agony or anything, but that wasn't so bad. Reading this thread I was expecting something intense, maybe closeup shots of the horse's panicked eyes rolling back in its head, or...well. Point being. That wasn't so bad, I thought, the way it went.

Yeah, it went too quickly imo.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

I think it was mostly
    seeing the horse's guts being pulled out. It's pretty graphic.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guys just remember to label your spoilers COMIC or TV please as a courtesy to those who are still reading the comics or haven't seen the show yet..

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »

I think it was mostly
    seeing the horse's guts being pulled out. It's pretty graphic.
    but it was already dead... i mean, if it was thrashing around as its guts were being pulled out then we'd have something.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Getting further in the comic, it's making me wonder even more how the change in Lori & Rick's relationship is going to change the show.
    In the comic, they are completely "perfect for each other", and then you get to witness that completely fall apart.

The night with Shane was a one-night thing early on.

Now, they're relationship is starting as a disaster, and Lori & Shane seem to be a much realer thing.

That is a pretty drastic change, I think. And I wonder where they're gonna go with it.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Getting further in the comic, it's making me wonder even more how the change in Lori & Rick's relationship is going to change the show.
    In the comic, they are completely "perfect for each other", and then you get to witness that completely fall apart.

The night with Shane was a one-night thing early on.

Now, they're relationship is starting as a disaster, and Lori & Shane seem to be a much realer thing.

That is a pretty drastic change, I think. And I wonder where they're gonna go with it.

Comic spoiler don't click until you're at least at 50!
    I hear it was a shotgun wedding. Zing!
    Speculation on this point concerning the show:
    I bet that wouldn't happen for a long time though, because in the comic they ended the drama so soon but it could've played out more.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    So what is the first season going to cover, just the first twelve issues of the comic then

We don't know. They've said they're going to introduce characters and storylines that aren't in the comic, so it could potentially end up deviating a lot.

It's just 6 episodes, so I would assume it ends with

COMIC SPOILER SPOILER COMIC
    The Rick/Carl/Shane incident

Based on interviews with Kirkman and Darabont, and based on Kirkman saying that he'd do things differently if he'd known how successful TWD would be, I'd say (TWD comic spoiler - first 6 issues)
    there's no way Shane dies within the first six episodes - why waste that love triangle so early in the life of the show?

I agree. Plus there are scenes in the previews that have nothing to do with the book. I'm guessing the climax of the last of this seasons show will be (book spoiler)
    Rick gets to the camp & meets up with Lori & Carl. It feels good and if there is no season two it's nice way to end the story. It also leaves room for you to ask what happens next.

Well, based on the 'this season on....' blurb at the end of the first episode, we know that (Comic & Show spoilers)
    the camp is attacked and Amy dies - we see Andrea cradling Amy's chomped on head in the preview. I'm guessing the show ends with them packing up for destinations unknown.

Also, there's no way there isn't a second season - they were advertising a contest to be a zombie on the show!

There was a contest to be an extra on The Heights. The Heights was a TV show on FOX that only got through like 8 episodes. The winner never got to be on the show.

Contests do not guarantee success.

I agree but citing Fox for cancellation issues is like using satan as your go to example of a shoplifter :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Incidentally, the 'Z' word is used in the comics. Issues 7 and 9.

I'm going to be watching the pilot this weekend, it'll be interesting to see if they use the word 'Zombies' at all in the TV series.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kay wrote:

I'm going to be watching the pilot this weekend, it'll be interesting to see if they use the word 'Zombies' at all in the TV series.

I just got to a point where Rick himself does use the Z-word. And then comments on how long it took for it to stop feeling silly for all of them to use it. So it seems like the zombie genre definitely exists in the comic's universe.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Kay wrote:

I just got to a point where Rick himself does use the Z-word. And then comments on how long it took for it to stop feeling silly for all of them to use it. So it seems like the zombie genre definitely exists in the comic's universe.

I'm pretty sure Kirkman's said that the zombie genre does not exist in the comic universe.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And yet the word 'Zombie' exists, and they felt silly using it.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's probably the idea of the voodoo sort of zombie that exists in the comics, rather than the more popular shamblers.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a difference between the monster itself existing and an entire genre being dedicated to it.

There are zombie genres, vampire genres, ghost genres, etc. Not so much with the enfield, yet it's still a monster.

Quid on
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    So what is the first season going to cover, just the first twelve issues of the comic then

We don't know. They've said they're going to introduce characters and storylines that aren't in the comic, so it could potentially end up deviating a lot.

It's just 6 episodes, so I would assume it ends with

COMIC SPOILER SPOILER COMIC
    The Rick/Carl/Shane incident

Based on interviews with Kirkman and Darabont, and based on Kirkman saying that he'd do things differently if he'd known how successful TWD would be, I'd say (TWD comic spoiler - first 6 issues)
    there's no way Shane dies within the first six episodes - why waste that love triangle so early in the life of the show?

I agree. Plus there are scenes in the previews that have nothing to do with the book. I'm guessing the climax of the last of this seasons show will be (book spoiler)
    Rick gets to the camp & meets up with Lori & Carl. It feels good and if there is no season two it's nice way to end the story. It also leaves room for you to ask what happens next.

Well, based on the 'this season on....' blurb at the end of the first episode, we know that (Comic & Show spoilers)
    the camp is attacked and Amy dies - we see Andrea cradling Amy's chomped on head in the preview. I'm guessing the show ends with them packing up for destinations unknown.

Also, there's no way there isn't a second season - they were advertising a contest to be a zombie on the show!

There was a contest to be an extra on The Heights. The Heights was a TV show on FOX that only got through like 8 episodes. The winner never got to be on the show.

Contests do not guarantee success.

I agree but citing Fox for cancellation issues is like using satan as your go to example of a shoplifter :P

there's been a long-standing rumor now that AMC execs renewed TWD for a 13 episode second season after screening the final cuts of the first 6, but they haven't released any official word on it yet.

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    There is a difference between the monster itself existing and an entire genre being dedicated to it.

There are zombie genres, vampire genres, ghost genres, etc. Not so much with the enfield, yet it's still a monster.

Exactly. People know what Mind Flayers are (if they're nerdy enough), but there isn't an entire genre of film and games dedicated to Mind Flayer survival horror.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Exactly. People know what Mind Flayers are (if they're nerdy enough), but there isn't an entire genre of film and games dedicated to Mind Flayer survival horror.

Is it sad that the first thing I thought of when I read this was what "fwoop" would sound like in tv/film if there was?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just saw this: FUCK YES. SO GOOD.

I wish I'd been able to watch this on my tv, in my bed. I'm rather expressive when I watch shows, so being confined to my chair and desk as I watched on the computer dampened things a little bit.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watched it on Hulu this morning but was sad to see that Hulu only gets the first episode.

Was wondering if AMC had online veiwing or if Im stuck watching it on someone's teevee?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AMC does have it on their website, but they have only aired the first episode so far on tv.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This show is the exception to the rule that American Dramas will take months to come to Korea. It is starting a week behind on the FOX affiliate here. I was shocked to see advertisements running all week promoting it.

It was also mildly edited (blurred) for some of the more gruesome zombies, and a scene at the end of the first episode was cut for gore. This is common for Korean dramas. They have a rule about extreme gore. Surgery shows with open wounds/procedures also are blurred. I've seen both television cuts (US + Korean), and this bit was fine for me. There was plenty left in the show I was worried might be missing.

Watched it with my wife, and she wouldn't let me turn off the lights while we were watching. I've read all the comics too. I was bouncing around all week in anticipation of the premiere. Did not disappoint.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Was it dubbed or subbed? A stupid question I know, but I am genuinely curious, seeing as American television gets all sorts of odd treatments (look at the German ads for Madmen for example).

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was it dubbed or subbed? A stupid question I know, but I am genuinely curious, seeing as American television gets all sorts of odd treatments (look at the German ads for Madmen for example).

Subbed, obviously. It's only been released a week after the initial run on cable.

Only mega-popular shows get dubbed. LOST was shown with subtitles, then later again with dubbed Korean voices, which was confusing because of the whole "Sun says she doesn't know English" plotline...

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Or could it have just been a continuity error? They happen sometimes too.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know any normal non-gamer person who knows what a Mind Flayer is.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Sorgo, sorry for the stupid question.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    valiance on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    valiance wrote: »

That was a good read, and established Texas is the best place to live in case of a zombie outbreak.

I also liked the point about the Air Force never showing up. Let's see Kirkman ignore that (having read Walking Dead up to vol. 12, this whole "zombie lore never existed in the Walking Dead universe" seems a bit of a stretch to make the threat even greater).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damnit all whenever someone links a cracked list then I have to read at least five more of them.

Thanks a lot.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I am watching the first episode on cable in Djibouti and when sheriff is in the house with the folks and is untied and he rolls over, what happens next, because it jumps to him walking around in the blanket and I am scared something was cut out.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I am watching the first episode on cable in Djibouti and when sheriff is in the house with the folks and is untied and he rolls over, what happens next, because it jumps to him walking around in the blanket and I am scared something was cut out.

All the zombies.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

That was a good read, and established Texas is the best place to live in case of a zombie outbreak.

I also liked the point about the Air Force never showing up. Let's see Kirkman ignore that (having read Walking Dead up to vol. 12, this whole "zombie lore never existed in the Walking Dead universe" seems a bit of a stretch to make the threat even greater).

Forget the air force. Why is the Navy never a factor? Ships at sea would have a delay in getting infected, and even if, say, a bitten Marine were brought aboard, it wouldn't take long before they realized the need to quarantine ships. Not to mention the fact that Naval vessels are compartmentalized - it'd be easy to isolate slow zombies in particular to a section of a ship.

The Navy's big issue would be resupply, although many vessels put out with a lot of consumables on board. Boomer subs for example, can carry months worth of stuff at a time. I'd think that with rationing at least some ships or task forces could still be viable entities come Z-day.

Only two pieces of z-fiction have every really addressed this that I've seen. J.L. Bourne's sequel to Day by Day Armageddon and World War Z. And in the remake of Dawn of the Dead, I think it's a Navy or Coast Guard helicopter you see in the sky.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

All the zombies.

What do you mean?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

All the zombies.

What do you mean?

He's joking. The dude just tells him to come out when he's ready (I think)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
This discussion has been closed.