As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    No, not at level 7.

Also I see people mention these defensive passives and, especially on my might guy, I've seen people mention regeneration. I couldn't find it in the power list. I saw two guys dueling last night and noticed that the one guy just wouldn't die and they were talking about regeneration. And he was level 6. How the fuck do I get it?

Is it somewhere I wasn't looking or something?

Bowen, you should not be dying that quickly to a small mob at level 7 as any build. Are you standing in fire or something silly?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, not at level 7.

Also I see people mention these defensive passives and, especially on my might guy, I've seen people mention regeneration. I couldn't find it in the power list. I saw two guys dueling last night and noticed that the one guy just wouldn't die and they were talking about regeneration. And he was level 6. How the fuck do I get it?

Bowen, you should not be dying that quickly to a small mob at level 7 as any build. Are you standing in fire or something silly?

dude that gives me an awesome idea!

Let's team up and make a game that is to MMOs like "I Wanna Be The Guy" is to platformers (linked to make it easy to search)

basically it's a mashup of all the most difficult things from every platformer they could find, and then the difficulty is then turned up to a ludicrous level

I Wanna Be The Raider could have mobs in the first 30 minutes of the game that spawn void zones, shoot doomfire, one shot non-tanks, etc. When you create your guy he'd start out with all of the abilities in the game and a bag full of random gear + enhancements he'd have to choose from. mahahaha, oh man

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, not at level 7.

Let's team up and make a game that is to MMOs like "I Wanna Be The Guy" is to platformers (linked to make it easy to search)

basically it's a mashup of all the most difficult things from every platformer they could find, and then the difficulty is then turned up to a ludicrous level

I Wanna Be The Raider could have mobs in the first 30 minutes of the game that spawn void zones, shoot doomfire, one shot non-tanks, etc. When you create your guy he'd start out with all of the abilities in the game and a bag full of random gear + enhancements he'd have to choose from. mahahaha, oh man

Man, I think I'd rather just pay a dude 15 bucks a month to kick me in the junk for an hour each night.

see317 on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, not at level 7.

so an MMO roguelike?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Just a quick question: is my role more or less set in stone? I'm setting myself up as an Avenger, so I don't see how I can use the other build slots to be a Protector or Sentinel.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Just a quick question: is my role more or less set in stone? I'm setting myself up as an Avenger, so I don't see how I can use the other build slots to be a Protector or Sentinel.

Well I have an Unarmed Martial Artist. I have a offensive passive and a defense passive. Depending on your build you can get one or two skills you normally won't use. I have Will of the Enlightened Warrior (i think) as my offensive and Lightning Reflexes as my defensive. This lets me play in Brawler when I want to kill shit fast and I swap for big baddies or groups where I dodge tank.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is sort of sad.

I made what I thought was a pretty cool-looking martial artist sage, and then thought to myself: Might as well create his Nemesis beforehand, since I can see myself playing this one seriously. Maybe a ninja girl or something.

Then when I'm done... I like her design so much that I decide to play her instead. I guess I can use the original Champion as a Nemesis for her. :P

aunsoph on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got up to 12ish today from a trial. Pretty fun so far, liking how it picks up and integrates the 360 controller out of the box. Only issue I am having is I get a mission now and then which is +1 or +2 my level, which calls for killing a super villian( the 3 health bar ones) and I cannot for the life of me solo them. Should I be able to?

I tried the sister quest in the mine about 5 times before deciding to level a bit. I don't have my offensive passive yet so that might be part of it? I am pretty much full arcane sorcery at the moment, waiting on shadow form.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    I got up to 12ish today from a trial. Pretty fun so far, liking how it picks up and integrates the 360 controller out of the box. Only issue I am having is I get a mission now and then which is +1 or +2 my level, which calls for killing a super villian( the 3 health bar ones) and I cannot for the life of me solo them. Should I be able to?

I tried the sister quest in the mine about 5 times before deciding to level a bit. I don't have my offensive passive yet so that might be part of it? I am pretty much full arcane sorcery at the moment, waiting on shadow form.

That guy in the mine is so ridiculous. I have made a shitload of characters and only a couple have been able to beat him without dieing. Luckily if you die and run back his health is still what you got it down to before.

Avicus on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if its the same mine or they patched it. I am talking about the crazy lady holding Witchcraft.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    I don't know if its the same mine or they patched it. I am talking about the crazy lady holding Witchcraft.

Ooooh really? I am talking about the one in the crisis. The key to beating the super villians is just learning to block and move at the right times. It just takes practice.

Avicus on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Gaaah, our internet service ended several days before the move. Now I can't play until Tuesday.

And for the inevitable smartass: my iPhone has internet.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gaaah, our internet service ended several days before the move. Now I can't play until Tuesday.

And for the inevitable smartass: my iPhone has internet.

Sounds like it's PEANUT BUTTER tether TIME

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you mean the F5-F8 "builds" buttons, they're kinda a leftover from how the game was originally planned. The way the game is now, you shouldn't really have different builds, but I guess they're neato because you can set different costumes to each "build" button and change looks with a hotkey.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Um... what're you talking about? The different builds are important. You can have offensive/balanced passives and defensive/balanced passives and sentinel passives with a few key powers to change how your character plays.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If you have an offensive passive you will want to be in avenger/brawler 95% of the time. There might be times when you want to switch to Guardian so you get energy from blocking (if you have any ego stat) but it's unusual.

Later on if you decide to take a second passive to give yourself more versatility then the other roles will become important.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really don't understand the need for the ridiculous amount of build slots though. I am Munitions though, so I spend most of my time in Guardian for Lightning Reflexes. Quarry is the only good offensive and it's just energy, not damage.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I really don't understand the need for the ridiculous amount of build slots though. I am Munitions though, so I spend most of my time in Guardian for Lightning Reflexes. Quarry is the only good offensive and it's just energy, not damage.

Quarry with the advantage and form of unleashed tempest is unlimited energy and health on kill.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    But shit usually dies before I run out of energy anyway. Single target is the same, I get enough from crits with Killer Instinct to keep me mostly running until it dies. I have to use my energy builder maybe 1 in every 10 fights with a tough guy. Health sounds nice though.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bought the game for 7$ with that steam sale. Got a fire based guy up to 14. Shit dies fast but i die even faster ~_~. Still alot of fun though but im pretty sure im gonna have to retcon my stats at some point because its kind of all over the place.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Saban wrote: »
    Bought the game for 7$ with that steam sale. Got a fire based guy up to 14. Shit dies fast but i die even faster ~_~. Still alot of fun though but im pretty sure im gonna have to retcon my stats at some point because its kind of all over the place.

Unless they've nerfed the crap out of Fire in the last month or so, it can crank out such an obscene amount of damage that you can use a defensive passive and not feel like you're gimping your damage output.

Let me know if you want any Fire-related build advice.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I picked fiery ricochet for Throw Fire and am now seriously regretting it. This thing has gotten me killed so many times. Seems like it jumps to the nearest non-aggroed mob it can find just to get me killed.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Saban wrote: »

Unless they've nerfed the crap out of Fire in the last month or so, it can crank out such an obscene amount of damage that you can use a defensive passive and not feel like you're gimping your damage output.

Let me know if you want any Fire-related build advice.

They've nerfed the crap out of fire in the last month.

(specifically, they 'fixed' UA, which was like 90% of fire's damage)

Astale on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Um... what're you talking about? The different builds are important. You can have offensive/balanced passives and defensive/balanced passives and sentinel passives with a few key powers to change how your character plays.
    Good point. I normal go with one build/passive and if i need to change roles i do it manually with no cooldown timer compared to the build's out of combat timer

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    okay question time

force deals crushing damage...unstoppable buffs crushing damage...but says it only applies to melee powers

so does unstoppable NOT apply to force powers?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Which fire powers should i avoid? Flashfires doesnt look that great. Fire snake would be cooler if i could see the snake. gotta try fireball next.

Yea gonna go with fireball. kinding wishing i never took pyre. Almost done with fire abilities now also, what other trees should i be picking from?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    get fireball and put unstable accelerant in it

also pyre is VERY good if you can fully charge it, and flashfires is amazing (From what I understand)

Arch on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couldn't resist the seven dollar price point, curse you steam!

At least I get to make all the hero ideas floating around in my head now, it's been way too long since I played last.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    get fireball and put unstable accelerant in it

also pyre is VERY good if you can fully charge it, and flashfires is amazing (From what I understand)

Fireball is actually currently not very useful because of the long charge time. I didnt really think about how nice having an instant AoE would be. Conflagration is like the best ability ever.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blarg, as I said a few posts up, Fireball's advantage UA got the mega nerf this last month. It's almost not even worth it anymore, and certainly won't make fire useful enough without being fire passive as well. They removed the fact it was scaling with super stats, and having done testing with it long ago, the 'scaling with super stats' was making it do about 3x as much as it was supposed to (more than that if you knew a few tricks) so there is a good amount of debate among the pvp'ers if it's actually counter-productive to waste the time to apply UA before attacking anymore.

Without UA, fireball sucks, and always has sucked. Heck, without UA fire as a whole kind of sucks.

Also, they confirmed that Heat Wave's advantage is also scaling with super stats a bit ago, and will also need fixing, as well as NOT giving a buff to their fire defense at the start of the maintain like it's supposed to, and debuffing all energy damage types (possibly all types period) and not just fire, leading it to act like a ranged laser sword (which got the nerfbat hard recently). Expect Heat Wave getting a nuke nerf as well.

Then, on top of that, there has been some talk of changing UA to only work on the dots that the description says it's supposed to in the first place, which would basically wipe UA out of existence as far as usefullness goes.

NOW, if you use the fire passive, you can still pump out some insane damage, and there is a current FOTM build that involves using fire and defile (because fire stuff buffs/debuffs toxic damage as well, a fact that was pointed out on test multiple times by the PvP crowd who knew what that meant, but hey, Cryptic seems to be pretty deaf when it comes to 'hey, by the way, this is going to be broken as hell when it hits live' in the PTS forums).

Anyways, net result is that they're trying to make it so that all this 'tank mage' crud goes out the window it seems. You want to do serious damage? Get an offensive passive. You want to be hard to kill? Get a tanking one.

Now, tanking ones will ALWAYS be better for PvE, and probably half of the PvP builds too, but it's a step in the right direction. Used to be nobody would ever touch offensive passives, ever, because the benefit was so incredibly minimal compared to what you lost by dropping the defensive passive.

If you just want to break the game however, there are so many ways to do it still. For every one thing they fix, they break three more, it makes me want to cry.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Whats a good defensive passive? I'm doing the serpents lantern stuff at level 17 and its tough as shit.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Defiance, but you need to stack a bit of CON. But defiance is easily the strongest defensive passive now, as the rest have all eaten heavy nerfs over the last few months while Defiance actually got buffed.

It's the go-to passive for PvP now, if that tells you anything.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    haha, man, sounds like they're going to pull a Blizzard Arena System on us

Hopefully they'll go all out balancing for PvP and won't add DPS meters/tight PvE encounter designs. I'm pretty sure the blizzard lead dev has panic attacks every 5 minutes trying to perfectly balance PvP and PvE at the same time now

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are you joking?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Replaced Fireball with Defiance. Night and day difference in survivability.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Any tips for a new archery champ? From what I remember it was really lackluster compared to other ranged sets and had a bunch of overlapping powers. I just can't let my archer outfit go to waste though, it's probably my favorite costume I've made so far.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    are you joking?

nah, if you follow the blizzard devs' posts they're pretty much neck deep in crap trying to keep everything balanced

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    $6.79 is too cheap to turn down. Steam sale be damned!

Saw Particle is a power type and immediately thought of They Might Be Giants. I'll have to be on an ever vigilant watch for my arch nemesis, Triangle Man!

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also was Experimental Blaster ever un-shittified?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I levelled a gadgets up to level 15 and never once saw it turn something into a teddy bear. I was angry.

Lorahalo on