As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Door to Door [Chat]iac

1596061626365»

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What's a fairly simple method of encoding some text into a puzzle? I don't want to use a Caesar Cipher as it's boring.
    Ludious wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I wish I was eating biscuits right now.

is your girlfriend named biscuits

She doesn't get on with her parents for obvious reasons.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want a checkbox that says "Any claims of Autism Spectrum disorders must be verified by an admin with a Dr. Excuse. Self diagnosis equals instant ban."

As an officially diagnosed aspie, I'm down with this. I've spoken with a number of people who claimed posession of an ASD. Maybe one of them actually struck my "this guy might actually have it" bell. Basically, being anti-social and having above average intelligence is not enough for a diagnosis.

Since you agree with this, we're going to need to see your doctor's note or else you have to voluntarily accept self-banning.

Ask Dr Doherty of Magherafelt medical centre.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What about games like Torment where you're still working in the same direction, since your goal isn't really good or evil related, but the evil option lets you really, really, really be a dick about it?

Fable, although comparing it to Torment pains me, sort of

but there you do knock off a villain

but you don't have to give a shit about anyone who isn't family

and when you do thwarth his attempt at getting this thing of awesome power that'll let him enslave all of albion you can decide to take it and do that yourself if you want to

no asshole likes any asshole but themselves in charge

EDIT: On second thought strike family. In order to take over the world you have to really be an evil dick.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish I was eating biscuits right now.

is your girlfriend named biscuits

I call my wiener 'biscuits'.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    asperger's is especially appealing as a self-diagnosis for socially maladjusted nerds because aspies have this pop culture reputation of being incredibly intelligent despite being socially retarded

so, it's like a way of saying you are handicapped and thus have an excuse for your behavior

but still feeling intelligent

some nerds see life like a game of GURPS and feel that for their brainsmarts they had to sacrifice points in their social skills or something

real life don't work that way

is there a disorder for not being socially maladjusted and still being incredibly intelligent?

cause that's what I have.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    You know what, I don't mind a binary good and evil system in a game if it actually effects the side you are on at the end. Like instead of storming the bad guy's lair the same way you would if you were a good guy and then getting an ending where you become the bad guy, you actually join the evil side and work with them. Then you spend the rest of the game wiping out all the people you helped in the early game.

I hate choosing between being a white knight saving everyone and an antihero out for revenge when the end result is pretty much the same, and so are all the events leading up to it.

I am pretty sure I played a game where the options were basically Good: Destroy evil Evil: take out the competition

just because you're both evil doesn't mean you'll work together

rather the contrary

just that instead of foiling the villains attempt at world domination you basically just staged a coup and set yourself up as the new villain

I don't have a huge problem with the steps leading up to that being largely the same as a coup's a coup

I think KOTOR 1 got it pretty close. If you go evil, you are very clearly a bad guy well before the game ends and doing some bad guy things.

Sure, you can go after the other bad guy, but that shouldn't be it. Then you're just setting yourself up to have the good guys send another protagonist to defeat you in the sequel.

Smurph on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    In my day it was the bubonic plague. All the kids claimed to have it, and used it as an excuse to get out of P.E.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    asperger's is especially appealing as a self-diagnosis for socially maladjusted nerds because aspies have this pop culture reputation of being incredibly intelligent despite being socially retarded

so, it's like a way of saying you are handicapped and thus have an excuse for your behavior

some nerds see life like a game of GURPS and feel that for their brainsmarts they had to sacrifice points in their social skills or something

is there a disorder for not being socially maladjusted and still being incredibly intelligent?

Awesomeberger's

Chanus on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want a checkbox that says "Any claims of Autism Spectrum disorders must be verified by an admin with a Dr. Excuse. Self diagnosis equals instant ban."

As an officially diagnosed aspie, I'm down with this. I've spoken with a number of people who claimed posession of an ASD. Maybe one of them actually struck my "this guy might actually have it" bell. Basically, being anti-social and having above average intelligence is not enough for a diagnosis.

I blame House for this. There was an episode where he was trying to fool everyone into thinking he had Asperger's so they'd leave him alone and accept him as a jerk.

people claiming to have ass-burgers was commonplace before it was on house, duder

it's basically turned into an excuse for anti-social nerds to cop out of taking responsibility for how they are dickheads towards people

Aspergers is the new Ayn Rand

All we want to do is be anti-social in a huge underwater distopia powered by DNA rewriting slugs. What's wrong with that?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

GNBS
    Generalized Neck Beard Syndrome

It's terminal

I'm so sorry

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    In my day it was the bubonic plague. All the kids claimed to have it, and used it as an excuse to get out of P.E.

An excuse to get out of P.E.? Man that was often the part of the day I looked forward to.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Toss in ruggedly handsome and that is what I have.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The saddest thing is seeing an "aspie and proud of it!" type outclassed in the area in which they have chosen to specialize. I tended to see it a whole lot while tutoring computer science and math classes.

OK, it's only sad when a real person with aspergers falls into this thought trap and has a rude awakening. It's fucking hilarious when a self-diagnosed anti-social loser does the same thing.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

G&T kids are massivley over-represented on the socially awkward end of the scale actually. Though there's a number of possible explanations for that (mostly cultural and social ones).

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

Awesomeberger's

sweet!

let's just cut that down to a more managable buzz word and....

Hey guys, I just got diagnosed with awesome syndrome. :(

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

"See, my pet rat has fleas, and he ate my homework and his fleas gave me the Black Death."

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    sometimes i take for granted how cool my job can be sometimes

spent the morning updating our center's website, then just went and filled the liquid nitrogen tank
    tumblr_l2qm38bs3D1qaninqo1_400.jpg

then i will take some pictures on a microscope and maybe look at some micro-cat scans

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

An excuse to get out of P.E.? Man that was often the part of the day I looked forward to.

I made a deal with my Sophomore-year Gym teacher that if I aced Health, I didn't need to participate in P.E.

I think it was more I would look for any excuse to get out of doing anything.

And that I'm a giant fucking nerd.

Chanus on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    What's a fairly simple method of encoding some text into a puzzle? I don't want to use a Caesar Cipher as it's boring.

Using a book as the source for the code? "16, 32" meaning page 16, 32nd character. Is this for D&D? Use the player's handbook, but refer to it by some arcane name, like 'the font of all knowledge'.

Bogart on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Lets be honest here, you got to be around a bunch of other sweaty boys in the shower

it was like a golden corral buffet for your eyes

Ludious on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    one of the reasons i don't get along well with neckbeardy mega-nerds is despite our shared hobbies, i don't have the same social problems they do

so, they see a guy who is sociable, charismatic, attractive, and popular

who still plays dungeons & dragons and collects Transformers

and in their heads they're like "huff puff this is not fair i gave up being cool when i decided to be a nerd US GAMERS HAVE AN IDENTITY"

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Using a book as the source for the code? "16, 32" meaning page 16, 32nd character. Is this for D&D? Use the player's handbook, but refer to it by some arcane name, like 'the font of all knowledge'.

Actually no, it's for a letter to my girlfriend. I bought some postcards in her presence without her noticing and she's pestering me for the details of how and when I did this, I said I'd tell her when I send her the third one, but I don't want to make it easy.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The Bookonomicon.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    one of the reasons i don't get along well with neckbeardy mega-nerds is despite our shared hobbies, i don't have the same social problems they do

and in their heads they're like "huff puff this is not fair i gave up being cool when i decided to be a nerd US GAMERS HAVE AN IDENTITY"

I have never met a person who has said that.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hrggggh

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Toss in ruggedly handsome and that is what I have.

Throw in huge penis and you've got me.

I've always wondered what it was that made me different from everyone else! Now I know there must be a whole class of people with the same condition. I'm not alone anymore!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I have never met a person who has said that.

i was called a poser at a star trek con

it was pretty mind-blowing

Pony on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    someone start a new chat

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.