As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX Prime Cookie/Biscuit Brigade 2010!

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ransem, that is made of so much win!!!

And Slick... jesus that's a lot of cookies! Kudos to you and your Brigadier allies! =)

SpaceGhost... domino cookies? I've got to see these! Any pics? =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And Slick... jesus that's a lot of cookies! Kudos to you and your Brigadier allies! =)

If we've impressed the guy who carried around a crate full of cookies last year with our numbers, we must be doing it right.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks ransim. It is easy to find us the first day, us school girls. Come take a photo with us on Friday or find me in one of my other wonderful costumes (moogle, splicer). Photos of them on the 2nd flickr link of the show spoiler button. Thanks again.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ransem, that is made of so much win!!!

SpaceGhost... domino cookies? I've got to see these! Any pics? =)

Not yet. Will probably start baking tonight. I'm thinking they will be largeish so maybe one cookie per bag. Not sure yet.

SpaceGhost2K on
  • Options
    GoosecheckaGoosechecka Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My baking started yesterday. 4 dozen M&M cookies, 4 dozen chocolate cookies with white and semi-sweet chocolate chips, 4 dozen oatmeal butterscotch and Wednesday night will be another 4 dozen snickerdooodles.

Goosechecka on
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In all honesty, the cookie brigade is one of the best, coolest things about PAX every year.

Marino on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You're too good to us! <3<3<3

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Who'd have though candy would be so heavy.

So I managed to make 11 lbs of candy...

That means I'm going to have to lug it on the plane, I can't really afford the money to ship it, and checking it is fairly cheap comparatively (15 vs 65).

Does anyone have any experience with traveling with food in a checked bag on an airline?

Really my worst fear is they see the individual bags of candy and thing its something horrible like drugs and my bag gets held, or worse. >_>

ransim on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys, bad news. I've been wrestling with a bit of illness the last few days. Although it's not stopping me attending PAX (I'm sure it'll be gone by then, since I'm on some HARDCORE antibiotics, ciprofloxin ftw), I think I shouldn't be cooking/handing out cookies to people, just in case.

Sorry!!

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Hey guys, bad news. I've been wrestling with a bit of illness the last few days. Although it's not stopping me attending PAX (I'm sure it'll be gone by then, since I'm on some HARDCORE antibiotics, ciprofloxin ftw), I think I shouldn't be cooking/handing out cookies to people, just in case.

Sorry!!
    Come see us anyways for a cookie. School Girls (9) and Men in Kilts (4) on Friday. You at least deserve a cookie.

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Love Men in Kilts.

I was thinking about making a couple batches of gingerbread cookies, but I can't find my icing recipe. Any of you have a good one? One that will solidify and won't go too wonky when they're bagged and hauled around? I wasn't sure I'd have the time, but it looks like I will.

Aurora on
  • Options
    xythenxythen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm bagging and labeling my cookies. Is there any sorta-kinda guidelines for adding multiple cookies to one bag? Should multiple cookies be put in one bag if they are under two inches across, or ...?
    Any rule of thumb that has worked in the past?
    Thanks!

xythen on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ransim wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with traveling with food in a checked bag on an airline?

Really my worst fear is they see the individual bags of candy and thing its something horrible like drugs and my bag gets held, or worse. >_>

I've never had a problem with checking bags or even carrying them on while they're stuffed with cookies. I did have 1 time where the airline security person asked what they were, and I said cookies, then he and every security person at the checkpoint said they wanted some, so I told them, "They're for a charity fundraiser," and they immediately backed off, so it all worked out. :)

xythen wrote: »
    I'm bagging and labeling my cookies. Is there any sorta-kinda guidelines for adding multiple cookies to one bag? Should multiple cookies be put in one bag if they are under two inches across, or ...?
    Any rule of thumb that has worked in the past?
    Thanks!

There's no real rule of thumb since we're giving the cookies out for free, everyone's different but if someone gives a more generous donation and/or the cookie seems small to me then I'll give them extras.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »

I've never had a problem with checking bags or even carrying them on while they're stuffed with cookies. I did have 1 time where the airline security person asked what they were, and I said cookies, then he and every security person at the checkpoint said they wanted some, so I told them, "They're for a charity fundraiser," and they immediately backed off, so it all worked out. :)

Thanks thats comforting. I'm still a bit worried but i'm going to pack it into my checked bag, make sure its accessible and maybe even ask the airline before. Especially since its basically just a bag full of little baggies. :mrgreen:

On the plus side, I'm impressed that I've managed 12 lbs of candy. 140+ bags.

ransim on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »

See, that's what's wrong with the airlines these days. Amtrak staff have donated for cookies. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, I haven't been able to do as much baking as I might have liked. However, I do have 2 dozen baggies of white chocolate macadamias and 2 dozen baggies of cranberry lemon pecan, with 2 cookies in each baggie.
    4946535505_31f4e39eac.jpg

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey, that's fantastic Jenny! We really appreciate it! That's awesome! =)=) They look delicious too!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arg. A series of unfortunate events have kept me from baking (though I suppose there's still today). Either way anyone needs help with distribution, let me know.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, we can definitely use distribution help! Did you get the E-Mail about the meetup times, and are you on the google group? If not, join the google group: I'll make sure we send out all the needed info one more time before the big day!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, we can definitely use distribution help! Did you get the E-Mail about the meetup times, and are you on the google group? If not, join the google group: I'll make sure we send out all the needed info one more time before the big day!

I just applied for the Google group, thanks for pointing the way. Most of the time I'm good with information that is right in front of my face, but apparently not today! Hopefully I'll be able to help!

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • Options
    H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My buckeyes are half done right now. Should I put one or two per bag? There will be 180 of them.

H2O Shoagie on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wow that's a junkload of buckeyes, awesome! =)=)

It depends on how patient you're feeling after making so many of them! Either way - one or two - would be awesome! I imagine that they'll go like hotcakes either way! So basically it depends on if you have enough time/energy left over to do 180 baggings or if you'd rather do 90. =) Thank you so much for that awesome baking, woot! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The recipe should have made 240 but somehow my mom made them while I was gone to help out and got 188. The bagging is no big deal. I just called airport security and they told me I could use frozen bottles of water in my cooler to keep them cold. I didnt know that if a liquid was in a solid state it can be taken through security. Isnt that just asking for trouble?

H2O Shoagie on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Making cookies right now, cool, and wrap this afternoon. Chocolate Chip Cookies (Joygasm) , No Bake Cookies (Sin Droppings), and Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie. YAY, PAX!

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hml151 wrote: »
    Making cookies right now, cool, and wrap this afternoon. Chocolate Chip Cookies (Joygasm) , No Bake Cookies (Sin Droppings), and Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie. YAY, PAX!

The Double Chocolate Oatmeals don't get a clever/dirty name?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hml151 wrote: »

Wild Oats?

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We are working on the dirty name, it has been a long week and only mid way through. I promise something good!

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I must be retarded because I can't find the meeting information anywhere on the google groups site. The most recent discussions I see are Buttons? and One Month To Go. Nothing in the pages or files either that are recent. Maybe I'm in the wrong group? (http://groups.google.com/group/cookiebrigade) Anyway, I have a ton of cookies that I need to drop off with someone. Also, are cookies supposed to be bagged, I hadn't seen that in any of the instructions? If so I'll have to do that Thursday when I get into town. >.<

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I must be retarded because I can't find the meeting information anywhere on the google groups site. The most recent discussions I see are Buttons? and One Month To Go. Nothing in the pages or files either that are recent. Maybe I'm in the wrong group? (http://groups.google.com/group/cookiebrigade) Anyway, I have a ton of cookies that I need to drop off with someone. Also, are cookies supposed to be bagged, I hadn't seen that in any of the instructions? If so I'll have to do that Thursday when I get into town. >.<

It would be ideal if they're bagged, yes. Some have not in the past and it's not the end of the world. We were just looking to increase the hygiene a bit (even if only cosmetically) and perhaps freshness.

I don't know when the meet-up is and I too don't see much in the way of specifics on the GoogleGroup.

My best advice is to bring your cookies to BYOC and ask an Enforcer for a Cookie Brigade person. I will be there, and I know Alex / VT will too. It has been a base of operations for cookie distribution for the last couple years.

Alex or some of the other leaders may override what I've said with better info!

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, I haven't been able to do as much baking as I might have liked. However, I do have 2 dozen baggies of white chocolate macadamias and 2 dozen baggies of cranberry lemon pecan, with 2 cookies in each baggie.

omg cranlemon, I regret the creamcheese brownie before me... how can I find you? <3

Emerez on
  • Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that is messed up, but its true. the bottled water ban is because it could be any other clear & oderless substance that could result in a bomb. Normal ice not so much, just don't go for dry ice or they will probably stop you.

Emerez on
  • Options
    FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry if this has been covered, but...

What's the best way to transport the cookies/money when we're distributing? Wondering if I should bring some accessories to facilitate the process. Doesn't seem like a good idea to walk around with either stuffed in my pockets.

Fellina on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fellina wrote: »

What's the best way to transport the cookies/money when we're distributing? Wondering if I should bring some accessories to facilitate the process. Doesn't seem like a good idea to walk around with either stuffed in my pockets.

If you're distributing cookies, it might make sense to bring some kind of bin that can hold a reasonable number without being too heavy.

As far as carrying money, keeping it discrete is the best bet, but I've never felt even a bit of concern at PAX carrying around donations (but I'm also a mid to large sized man, so...)

You can always bring money up to BYOC and find me or Alex / VT and drop it off with either of us. If you ask the BYOC Enforcers, particularly BigRed, they can point you our way.

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Great, I have the perfect container for this (round box with a handle)! I'm in BYOC too, so I'll see you there. :)

Fellina on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My boyfriend and I just made no bake cookies and sugar cookies tonight =) some sugar cookies are yellow and pacman. One of our friends also gave us a bunch of chocolate chip cookies. I have them all packed in containers and ready to go!

I am hoping I can carry cookies onto the plane with me....we will see lol.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry, I'm only baking, not distributing. :)
    Emerez wrote: »

omg cranlemon, I regret the creamcheese brownie before me... how can I find you? <3

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DJBreslin wrote: »
    Fellina wrote: »

If you're distributing cookies, it might make sense to bring some kind of bin that can hold a reasonable number without being too heavy.

As far as carrying money, keeping it discrete is the best bet, but I've never felt even a bit of concern at PAX carrying around donations (but I'm also a mid to large sized man, so...)

You can always bring money up to BYOC and find me or Alex / VT and drop it off with either of us. If you ask the BYOC Enforcers, particularly BigRed, they can point you our way.

Glad I saw this post. I packed a jaunty little Easter bucket. I don't know why I HAD a jaunty little Easter bucket.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Got all cookies done now. Come see us School Girls passing out Joygasm (Chocolate Chip Cookies), Sin Droppings (no bake cookies), and Chocolate Mouth Fulls (Double Chocolate Oatmeal like cookies).

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmmmk! The cookies are made, tomorrow we're bagging them up, slapping some stickers on them, and then delivering them to VThorn. Hoo-Mothafucking-YAH!

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    SykoraSykora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I made so many cookies! =D =D =D. Found a great versatile recipe for awesome chewy cookies!

Two batches of Chocolate Chewies

Lemon Chewies

Strawberry Lemonade Chewies

Creamcicle Chewies

Two batches of Chocolate Peppermint Chewies

16 "Muffin Tops" Pina Colada flavor with crushed pineapple (overbaked chewies = cake!)

16 pina colada with pineapple chewies

A batch of cookies with cinnamon oil, so they taste like Red-Hots. weird, but good!

A batch of Unicorn poop chewies (rainbow!)

And like, maybe some others. It's 2 in the morning atm.

lol, I'll be wearing Oompa-Loompa white/pink sunglasses and a Chicken Viking Hat! Won't be able to miss me.

Hope I get the email with the meetup locations and times soooooon!

Sykora on
This discussion has been closed.