As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tron: Evolution - Average & Tron = Above average

KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
Way back in 1982, there was a film called TRON. In it, an evil AI called the Master Control Program schemed towards world domination, as evil AI's tend to do. Fortunately for the world, a computer hacker named Kevin Flynn comes along. Through the magic of technology he winds up being digitised into the computer and after many shenanigans, the MCP is derezzed and all is well. I don't need to tell you the details of the film because if you're a gamer then you've certainly seen this film. If you haven't, then you have no place in this thread and should feel deeply ashamed.

Anyway, for twenty odd years, TRON consisted of just the one movie. Then came TRON 2.0, a fun little FPS which you should play if at all possible. Then - after a nifty tech demo trailer - came the news of Tron: Legacy, a sequel to the first film. And what self-respecting film is released these days without a computer game to go with it.
trongame.png

Release Platforms: PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Wii
Release Date: Nov 25th (AUS), Nov 26th (EU), Dec 7th (NA)

Tron: Evolution is slightly different from most computer game tie-ins. Rather than retreading the movie which is set in 2010, TRON: Evolution is set in 1989 and will apparently set up some of the events in the film. in the game, you play a program called 'Anon' - short for 'Anonymous' - who is looking into a number of things for Kevin Flynn, including the appearance of a dangerous virus program that is wreaking havoc across the digital world.

Teaser Trailer

Official E3 Trailer

So, what do you need to know about this game? Well, it's billed as a Third Person Action game with Lightcycle racing and RPG elements and - on the PS3 - will be Move compatible. Here are some of the highlights.
Gamepro wrote:
What you need to know:

- The game combines parkour for movement and capoeira for combat. The main character moves and leaps around most levels in a fluid acrobatic display that only breaks down when you run out of energy or miss a jump.

- There are three modes for the character to take for movement and combat that use varying degrees of energy. In normal mode, all attacks are average and energy usage seems average. In sprint mode, the character moves faster, but the attacks are weaker and it looks like it doesn't use as much energy. In defensive mode, the character can parry enemy attacks and deliver massive area-effect damage attacks of his own -- but this seems to severely deplete the energy gauge.

- You get energy for movement and combat by making contact with white strips along the walls in most level, or by defeating enemies and collecting the pickups they drop.

- The game is a hybrid of singleplayer and multiplayer. You have the option to skip multiplayer entirely and level up only using singleplayer in offline mode, but if you're playing with an internet connection, there are segments of singleplayer that force you into five on five multiplayer matches. These segments are padded out with A.I.-controlled players if you're playing offline.

- Leveling is persistent between multiplayer and singleplayer. You can jump into either mode at any time from the game's main menu -- but any levels or items you pickup in one mode are carried over into the other. If you choose to play offline only, your level caps at 20 and the world scales in difficulty to match that -- if you open yourself up to multiplayer, you max out at level 50.

- The light cycles are not nearly as frustrating as the ones in Kingdom Hearts 2, and the open-top design carries over into Legacy.

Thanks to trondis, here are the minimum specs for those interested in picking this up on the PC.
"Microsoft® Windows® 7 / Vista® SP2 / XP® SP3
3.0 GHz Intel® Pentium® D processor or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+ or equivalent processor
1.5 GB RAM (Windows® 7 / Vista®) / 1.0 GB RAM (Windows XP®)
10 GB free hard drive space
256 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant, 3D video card supporting Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA® 8800 GT or higher, ATI Radeon™ HD 3870 or higher)
NOTE: Onboard (built-in) integrated chipsets are not supported (e.g., Intel® on-board 8xx/9xx series chipsets, SiS and S3 series, ATI® Mobility Radeon® 7500 & X1300)
16-bit DirectX® 9.0c-compatible sound card
DVD-ROM drive
DirectX® 9.0c (included)
Internet connection"

Also for your entertainment and education regarding this game I've got the E3 stage demo, which tells you a lot about the game.

E3 stage Demo

Here's a look at the multiplayer and what you'll get to do with that.

Tron Multiplayer Trailer

For more info on Multiplayer game types and what have you, check the spoiler for an excerpt from the Official Multiplayer Fact Sheet with more details:
• The TRON: Evolution multiplayer modes feature 10-player online competitive multiplayer with programs battling on game grids based within the franchise.
• Like the single player experience, players move through environments using free roaming, climbing and vehicles while battling with high mobility combat and discs
• The game will include four multiplayer maps each allowing four multiplayer modes.
• On the release date, two more free maps are scheduled to be available as downloadable content by using a code found in the game case.
• More maps and game content are scheduled to be available as downloadable content after release.
• Online multiplayer games can include both players and AI bots in the two maps featuring close-quarters combat. Players can choose teams that include players and AI bots or join together on one team to battle a team of AI bots in a co-op set-up.
• With persistent character progression, players can level up their character either in single-player mode or online multiplayer mode. Their character’s status will carry over to both modes. For example, a player can level up his or her character in single player mode and then take that character with advanced weapons and protection into the online multiplayer combat.
• In single-player mode, players can choose quickly to be transported into multiplayer arenas. Their single-player game is automatically saved.

Vehicles

Light Cycles

• Players will have the choice of selecting among three light cycles as they progress through the game. The three light cycles have different handling and features.
• In two of the maps, all players can transform into light cycles at any time to move freely around the environments.
• The light cycles are fast, nimble vehicles that leave light trails that can derezz opponents.
• Players can also throw their disc at enemies while moving on certain light cycles
• Light cycles can turn both on arcs or on right angles

Tanks

• The two vehicle maps also have tanks available.
• Tanks are available to the first player to access them.
• The tanks provide the advantage of being strong and powerful but are also slow.
• With the proper skill and strategy, players on foot and on light cycles can destroy tanks.

Map Overview

There will be four online multiplayer maps each suited for different styles of combat and strategy. Half are larger maps that enable players to transform into light cycles or access one of the limited tanks on the map.

The names of the maps and descriptions are:

• Defrag – This map takes place on the outskirts of the cities. This is a large map featuring vehicles
• Circuit Board – This is another large map with platforms and vehicles
• Hard Disk – This is a medium-sized map with movement on foot only and vertical architecture enabling free roaming movement and climbing
• Heat Sink – This is another medium-sized map with movement on foot only and a vertical structure

Modes

Four game modes are available for each map. The modes provide a variety of gameplay challenges for players of all skill levels.

• Disintegration – Players compete individually to derezz their opponents most. The player with the highest derezz total, having wiped out the most players, wins.
• Team Disintegration – Teams compete to derezz the other team’s players.
• Bit Runner – A central bit is available to be acquired. Teams compete to pick up the bit and stay on the grid while the other team attempts to derezz the bit runner and acquire the bit. The team with the most points holding the bit wins.
• Power Monger – Teams compete to secure capture points. Energy nodes have to be linked in order to gain points.

Pick-Ups

Each map features various pick-ups that enable players to acquire advantageous powers

• Overcharge (appearing like a DNA strand) – This pick-up enables players to refill their health and energy.
• User Mode (appearing as the TRON symbol) – This enables the player to be impervious to attacks for a limited time.
• Equalizer – This pick-up enables players to have a one-hit derezz of their opponents for a limited time.

And here's some videos of the developers talking a bit about what went on behind the scenes.

And finally, as a present for actually reading this far, here's a gratuitous picture of Olivia Wilde as she appears in the film.
tronbabe.jpg

Reviews and Previews

The reviews are out and the general consensus is that Tron: Evolution is average. You can check out the reviews here.

Collector's Edition

There's a Collector's Edition. In addition to the game, you'll get a very nice scale model of a lightcycle along with a display case to put it in.

tronspeced.jpg

It's up to you whether or not you're prepared to drop the hefty sum of $130 for it.

TRON controllers:
Given that TRON is going to be big stuff - or at least Disney hopes it is - there is going to be a metric ton of goodies released to tie in to it. We are talking Spaceballs levels of merchandising here. The only stuff we'll be interested in are going to be the controllers. They should be in the shop's now.

PS3:
Apparently this controller will be wired. It will also cost $49.99.
troncontps3.jpg

Xbox 360:
This controller will be wired as well and will also set you back $49.99.
troncontxbox.jpg

Wii:
This controller won't be wired and, like the others, will set you back $49.99.
troncontwii.jpg

PC:
Here's the Keyboard/mouse set. The keyboard is going to have all the keys individually etched so the letters will glow. I want this, but with the mouse costing $100 and the keyboard a hefty $150, It looks as though they won't be adorning my computer desk any time soon.
troncontpc.jpg

Last but not least, here's what they'll look like in real life.
troncontsreal.jpg

Finallly, this is a movie tie-in game. I know this. You know this. We also all know that movie tie-in games have a... less than stellar reputation for gameplay quality. As a result, despite the fact that I wrote this OP, I hereby reserve the right not to buy this game in the event that it sucks.

Which it won't.

[TINY]I hope.[/TINY]

MGRSig2.jpg
Kitsuna on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I call shenanigans, because some of us were born after 1982.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The animation looks pretty robotic and awful in the actual game play. Platforming looks like a poor man's prince of persia. The combat looks pretty repetitive and unengaging too. The lightcycle porition looks pretty boring as well... nothing on the track, a few explosions here and there but nothing really gets in your way, it's a drive straight ahead for a few minutes while stuff happens around you affair. The "crash" at the end there was laughable.

I don't see any reason to be excited about this game other than "its Tron."

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lightcycles that can turn other than 90 degrees, blasphemy!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am I the only one who initially saw this as Turok: Evolution and completily understood the title until the OP itself was read?
    Have you seen the new movie?
    Not that I don't find it as silly as you do, though.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it seems like a worse version of the PoP 2008 "Press X to do everything" mechanic.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why does the guy roll on the spot after a jump?

101 on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Am I the only one who initially saw this as Turok: Evolution and completily understood the title until the OP itself was read?

Yeah said the same thing after seeing the movie trailer too.

Surely now it's just racing?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    101 wrote: »

What are you, an idiot? He's a program.

Seriously, why?

Looks like standard tie-in crap. Shame because those trailers were incredible. Got goosebumps and everything. Then I watched the demo. Favourite line 'We have the ability to move around the world'. Yeah gaming has had that ability for a while now chuck.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll lay money on this game not being anything fantastic, but the few previews I've come across where someone has actually played it all reckon that the experience was generally enjoyable. That combined with the chance to futz around in the Tron universe is probably going to be enough for me.

Anyway, here are a few of those previews that are giving me some hope that this won't suck.

Pocket-Lint Hands On

IGN Preview

Joystiq Preview

That last preview is somewhat negative but it does at least say that what they've seen is competently done. For reference purposes, The Force Unleashed was enough to amuse me, so unless Tron: Evolution is a buggy mess of unfun, I'll likely be content with it.

Of course I'll be keeping an eye on proceedings and if a demo fails to appear so I can try before I buy and the early reviews are dire - or non-existent... well, you read my disclaimer, right?

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sadly, I don't think that this game will beat it's awesome predecessor, at least for me.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Although I imagine you're just joking, for the record, the light cycles in the original only did 90 degree turns, and left those trails, on the game grid. When they broke out of the arena they performed more like a normal cycle.

Apostate on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apostate wrote: »

Although I imagine you're just joking, for the record, the light cycles in the original only did 90 degree turns, and left those trails, on the game grid. When they broke out of the arena they performed more like a normal cycle.

Then why are they leaving light trails behind them off the game grid?

Queue. Eee. Dee.

Garthor on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I heard from a reliable source that this game is only going to be "alright" (They worked on the game directly- That's as specific as I will get)
    :(
    This makes me sad because tron 2.0 was actually really fun to play.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

Queue. Eee. Dee.

I wasn't paying too much attention but I also didn't see Blue Guy cross an orange line, as per the rules of Light Cycles.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was sort of excited about the parkour aspect of this, but it really doesn't look like it has any momentum or flow to it. :-(

Frem on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sure it does, the guy told us! You have the freedom to go where you want!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    101 wrote: »

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Games gonna rock. :}

But more importantly, I want the headphones.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Even if this game sucks, it's worth it for the controllers

I'm picking up one for PS3 and 360

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Even if this game sucks, it's worth it for the controllers

I'm picking up one for PS3 and 360

The controllers are packaged with the game? Or rather, the game is packaged with the controller? Man, those are sexy. I guess I might be tempted to get the game then. :P

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure if they're packaged

Won't stop me buying them 8-)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I'm getting the pads, the Wii one looks fantastic. A dildo..... FROM THE FUTURE!
    img2611576x768-1277243938.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I wasn't aware of Tron branded controllers. Won't make me any more enthused, though.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Monster_Tron.jpg
    IMG_4483_540x720.jpg

ffff

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tron, the flame thrower!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »

You guys are all geese. Lightcycles have always been able to turn normally, not snapping to 90 degree angles. Go watch the fucking movie.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

Queue. Eee. Dee.

How about you stuff it and watch the trailer for the new movie?

Or you can do that in the reverse order, I'm flexible.

A duck! on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anything with the subtitle ":The Video Game" gets an automatic red flag from me.

Seriously, has there ever been a good game that had that title in the name?

Well, could be worse. They could have used the word "Official". :P

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anything with the subtitle ":The Video Game" gets an automatic red flag from me.

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie ruled

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie ruled

I have been bested. Damn you, fine sir.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, if it's called Tron Evolution, do we really need the subtitle of "The Video Game"? Is it simply to differentiate the two entities, Legacy and Evolution?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I heard from a reliable source that this game is only going to be "alright" (They worked on the game directly- That's as specific as I will get)

I can handle that. I'm pretty easy to please so if this is average I'll be satisfied. Yay for mediocre expectations.

I'll see about updating the OP with all the Tron knick-knacks they're releasing when I get home. I know there's a keyboard coming that caught my eye.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kitsuna, I'm not sure I would This *persons* trust the persons point of view on games however. He didn't seem to be a tron fan really and maybe that might just make it medocre.

Here is to hoping its better then expected.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Arise, oh doomed thread, arise!

I know most of you think that this game is doomed to failure - and who knows - maybe you all are correct about that, but there are those out there that actually seem optimistic about this. So to celebrate that not everyone is being a doomsayer about this game, here's some stuff.

Tron Multiplayer Trailer

And here's that optimism I was talking about in the form of some recent hands-on previews by PSU and Eurogamer.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When are these controllers available? My birthday is on November 20 and I told my brother I wanted one.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd buy the lightcycle by itself.

Don't care for the game.

Will definitely see the movie.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    When are these controllers available? My birthday is on November 20 and I told my brother I wanted one.

Amazon has them pegged for release on Nov 11th, so you should be in luck.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This thread needs more
    tron_legacy.jpg

OM NOM NOM

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options