As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Team Fortress 2] TF2Maps.net Art Pass Mapping Contest!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it's probably using a browser or plug in exploit. Sounds like it's not limited to IE, but if you have javascript /flash turned off or ad-block you might be safe.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Managed 55 points in one life as a demo earlier. That was pretty cool.

I'm really tired of being shitty at sniper. People never move at predictable paths anymore, and my bullets apparently phase through heads when I do get a good shot. I just don't get it. I don't get how anyone can actually be good at a class that is so random. It's not like I'm lagging either.

Adus on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Adus wrote: »

I'm really tired of being shitty at sniper. People never move at predictable paths anymore, and my bullets apparently phase through heads when I do get a good shot. I just don't get it. I don't get how anyone can actually be good at a class that is so random. It's not like I'm lagging either.

Just takes practice, and the knowledge that sometime your bullet just vanishes in the ether of the internet.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TF2.

Engine
    Increased the resilience of client/server data table mismatches when playing back demos. This will make most old demo files playable again, but with potential visual side effects

Team Fortress 2
    Updated CP_Coldfront
    Added map to the default mapcycle and motd files.
    Fixed a server crash issue related to increased maxplayer servers.
    Fixed a couple Engineer building exploits.
    Updated the localization files.
    Improved the performance of the critboost particle effect.
    Fixed a server crash related to carrying buildings at round start.
    Fixed players picking up buildings before a round has started.
    Fixed an exploit where Engineers could create level 3 mini-sentries

Funny I don't see anything in here about making the Steam server browser not suck shit

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Just takes practice, and the knowledge that sometime your bullet just vanishes in the ether of the internet.

Sniper is my most played class now. I don't think I'm going to have the epiphany if I haven't had it by now. Granted many of those hours were with the huntsman and not the scope, but I just don't think practice is going to do it at this point.

Adus on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Use Huntsman. Close eyes. Let wind be your guide.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Sniper is my most played class now. I don't think I'm going to have the epiphany if I haven't had it by now. Granted many of those hours were with the huntsman and not the scope, but I just don't think practice is going to do it at this point.

Theres your problem.

Pick one and stick with it, Huntsman and Rifle are wholly different playstyles.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Getting good at the Rifle/Huntsman then switching to the other is a lot like getting really good at knife-fighting and then cutting off your hands.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not an idiot and trying to play the scope like the huntsman, and I think it's silly to think you can only be good at one or the other. I can be a good heavy and scout and those are totally different playstyles. Though I guess if I have to choose at this point, the huntsman seems more reliable.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not an idiot and trying to play the scope like the huntsman, and I think it's silly to think you can only be good at one or the other. Though I guess if I have to choose at this point, the huntsman seems more reliable.

You can be good at both.

But you have to take it one at a time, because constantly switching ruins your intuition and developing muscle memory.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This past weekend I was on a PA server and we were playing that new PL map where the bomb goes on an elevator at the end. I was having a really bad game, like 20 deaths 2 kills sort of bad (I'm awful at this game, I know). But when the enemy bomb got on the elevator I went Huntsman sniper, stood on the high spawn area, and in the course of 4 seconds got as many one hit kills. I heart the Huntsman.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    PAY ATTENTION TO THIS

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360060
    If you're planning on looking for new maps, UIs or any other mods then avoid FPS Banana for a while. They've been infected with the "Black Internet" trojan.

Full Credit to Rhalle and GTFO Gaming for finding this. Just thought I'd let you all know about this since the only thread on this on the Steam forums is in the CS:S forum.

Here's the links to the threads I got them on and some info I quoted on it:

Rhalle
    GTFO

Originally Posted by GTFO
    The site is currently infected with the 'Black Internet' trojan.

It's embedded in the site itself somehow, which means all you have to do is go there-- you don't have to download anything, and you'll be infected. All the following programs did not detect the trojan AVG, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender.

If you've been to FPSBanana in the last day or less, check your task manager. Look for iexplore.exe running-- or multiple instances of it if you are surfing with internet explorer, of course. You might also be hearing audio advertisements and/or multiple weird noises and mouseclicks.

Apparently this trojan infects the MBR, to fix the virus problem make all folders viewable in the control panel -> large icons -> folder options -> view -> show hidden files, folders and drives, then reboot in Safe Mode and go here:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Appdata\Local\Temp

and deleting these two files:

Loader.exe
    Smss.exe

And until further notice I strongly suggest that you avoid going to the website.

THIS SHOULD BE ON EVERY PAGE.

Sup |/l/4l2!0

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I learned something tonight.

If a heavy picks up running shoes, he is the best possible death machine. Nothing like running at scout speed with a revved up Sasha.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Oh no sirtoons is pushing back my team and is also dominating me I better rage quit."

- goomba and tyrannus july 14th 2010

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "i eat bugs and dance around"
    -sirToons all day every day

and I seem to recall dominating you before I left??

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I can't see Tyrannus rage quitting if someones killing him all the time.

He usually just bans them.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hitscan weapons should just be called scan weapons because I have trouble hitting things with them.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "blah blah blah blah blah blahblah"

-blah blah

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Mitchell stop fucking taunting and capture the point/push the cart"

- [UEAK]Crash

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    McAllen wrote: »
    PAY ATTENTION TO THIS

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360060
    If you're planning on looking for new maps, UIs or any other mods then avoid FPS Banana for a while. They've been infected with the "Black Internet" trojan.

Full Credit to Rhalle and GTFO Gaming for finding this. Just thought I'd let you all know about this since the only thread on this on the Steam forums is in the CS:S forum.

Here's the links to the threads I got them on and some info I quoted on it:

Rhalle
    GTFO

Originally Posted by GTFO
    The site is currently infected with the 'Black Internet' trojan.

It's embedded in the site itself somehow, which means all you have to do is go there-- you don't have to download anything, and you'll be infected. All the following programs did not detect the trojan AVG, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender.

If you've been to FPSBanana in the last day or less, check your task manager. Look for iexplore.exe running-- or multiple instances of it if you are surfing with internet explorer, of course. You might also be hearing audio advertisements and/or multiple weird noises and mouseclicks.

Apparently this trojan infects the MBR, to fix the virus problem make all folders viewable in the control panel -> large icons -> folder options -> view -> show hidden files, folders and drives, then reboot in Safe Mode and go here:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Appdata\Local\Temp

and deleting these two files:

Loader.exe
    Smss.exe

And until further notice I strongly suggest that you avoid going to the website.

THIS SHOULD BE ON EVERY PAGE.

Sup |/l/4l2!0

I spent some time on that site earlier today. Checked for this, didn't seem to have the files on my computer. Perhaps it doesn't effect win7 64bit.

RAGE. on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the rest of that guy's stuff is much worse if you want to give yourself the willies tonight

So, I went and found the other stuff. Namely, Uzumaki. I read through the entire thing.

...I hate you. So much.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Giantbomb is playing TF2 for their thursday night game this week

tofu on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Caedere wrote: »
    the rest of that guy's stuff is much worse if you want to give yourself the willies tonight

So, I went and found the other stuff. Namely, Uzumaki. I read through the entire thing.

...I hate you. So much.

Don't forget to read Gyo, too.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Caedere wrote: »

...I hate you. So much.

pl_Spiral

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nealcm wrote: »

- [UEAK]Crash

This is an intervention.

Huntera on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nealcm wrote: »

- [UEAK]Crash

No more like stop taunting and shoot more mans, stupid.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tyrannus is no actor that's for sure

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love how this guy plays spy http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Spy_Ninja_Tutorial_%28OMFGNinja%29

EDIT: well, half of his 'skill' can be put down to playing vs terrible pub players, but he has some really sly cloaking and stabbing techniqes.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couldn't watch more than the first minute of the first video. Decloaking right behind someone is a quick way to get yourself killed as Spy, unless they are deaf, playing with music on or playing on HDC. Is it supposed to be satire?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He does seem to be playing against morons that never spy check.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The second video is okay, although the theme is still rather silly. And he's still decloaking right behind people. But most of the cloaking tricks are what you should be using.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TF2 Wiki wrote:
    The Spy appears to have separate voices for BLU and RED as the RED Spy has a lower, raspier voice.

This blew my mind.

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Couldn't watch more than the first minute of the first video. Decloaking right behind someone is a quick way to get yourself killed as Spy, unless they are deaf, playing with music on or playing on HDC. Is it supposed to be satire?

There used to be a time when the decloaking wasn't obnoxiously loud (pre-Dead Ringer), which was also the time when these videos were made. So it was very possible to decloak behind someone and stab them without making yourself known.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How does he manage to backstab people without the animation coming up? It's hard enough doing it when it IS up.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    How does he manage to backstab people without the animation coming up? It's hard enough doing it when it IS up.

The animation wasn't always in the game.

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah those videos are way old

without watching them, i remember them coming out either shortly before or shortly after the ammo refilling cloak

before the animation was on every stab, you would get the backstab animation (takes a lot of time back then too, considering it was slower) if you were right up close to someone

so a very good tactic back then was to learn the range in which you could still stab someone but not get the long backstab animation

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I remember only having access to the normal cloak without being able to refill it. Those were dark times.

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "i eat bugs and dance around"
    -sirToons all day every day

and I seem to recall dominating you before I left??

Oh god that quote, how old is that?

I remember hearing someone say that in game and just losing my shit.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ah, that explains it. His cloak time seems to be really quick, too.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »

The animation wasn't always in the game.

I thought that there was always backstab animations, but they just didn't come up for the quickstab.

Peewi on