As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I PMed Zedar a day or two ago, he said he'll get to it this weekend, it's been busy for him.

And yeah, we'll need to be reforming all the colonial nations and maybe some of the province names if we're really obsessive. I know most of the North American ones have the Native American names, less sure about South America.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess I should ask if Zedar has received the save. I guess that would have happend a few weeks ago now, but perhaps he is biding his time.

I sent it to him a while back, and he confirmed receipt.
    And if you could keep track of who you seend out as the explorer/conquistador to discover far off new lands that would be useful for creating events and the inevitable naming of random places (e.g. If we have no Columbus it doesn't make much sense to have a Columbia. Yes, apparently I am that demanding in my mod-making).

Sure.

For my games, so far, my explorers have been:

Explorer: Pascal de Vallaxon: 1474-1476; found Nouveau Vermandois / North America (Chesapeake and Naragansett), otherwise mapped much of our Atlantic map

Explorer: Unremembered: 1476-147X; found Madeira and the Canaries (may have already been discovered by Holland and Castille, respectively)

Conquistador: Isidore de Vaudray: 1490-Current; found Rio de Oro, al Djouf Wasteland, and whatever the next two provinces south of Rio de Oro are.

EDIT:

I also had a spectacularly useless admiral I bought to help shore up our struggling navy; some joker named Centule de Whatever (yes, named after the king I played during my CK turn), who had an entire 1 point in Manevuer and nothing else, and who died after a year and a half or so of old age.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah should get an update in in a few days. Was waiting for Elvenshae to finish his updates before I started, and haven't had time since to catch up and get going :)

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zedar wrote: »
    Yeah should get an update in in a few days. Was waiting for Elvenshae to finish his updates before I started, and haven't had time since to catch up and get going :)
    Oh, sure, blame it on the guy who took forever! :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We could also go find explorer names in the save file, I think. That's tedious, but doable.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Two more waits for me...I have nothing against you guys but I hope for a succession of plagues... :)

starkiller on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I figured if people tracked them themselves it be more efficient. Plus it would be easier to match people up for events.

I am also excited about modding the HOI2/AOD/Whatever portion. Not so much looking forward to Victoria because it is the game I'm least familiar with (although most of the mechanics are the same as HOI2). But that seems like it's a while off.

I was also considering the abundance of 'cold war' and 'modern day' mods could potentially let us do a WW2-era and then another modern era afterwards.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hm, I might have to get someone else to take my go. My EU3 is crashing on startup after I reinstalled to downgrade to HttT. I'll take a slot later on if I can get this thing running again.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    starkiller wrote: »
    Two more waits for me...I have nothing against you guys but I hope for a succession of plagues... :)
    Zedar wrote: »
    Hm, I might have to get someone else to take my go. My EU3 is crashing on startup after I reinstalled to downgrade to HttT. I'll take a slot later on if I can get this thing running again.

He's a witch!

Did you uninstall all the way and then reinstall? If you just reinstall over it there's a good chance DW files may end up staying there and mucking up the game. Or it may be saving the map cache and such from DW, which probably wouldn't end well either.

Otherwise the next in line was FarseerBaradas.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I tried everything I could think of. Complete uninstall, removed all app data from everywhere else, still nothing. I'll forward the save on to Farseer.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure where I am in the queue currently, but if farseer isn't available immediately I can jump in. I've already confirmed that the mod works on my machine and should have a decent amount of time to play this weekend. Let me know if you need someone on short notice.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think a newly accurate succession order is in the second post again. Let me know if I missed anyone.

Succession order:
    1. FarseerBaradas
    2. starkiller
    3. shalmelo
    4. shuss
    5. Lachrymite
    6. Arang
    7. enlightenedbum

(When he gets the mod working successfully). Zedar

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That should take us to or near 1700 unless we start getting a lot of dying young kings

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That was my estimate, yeah. Average reign of 15 years.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I just need to reinstall so I downgrade to HttT.

I should have my section by this weekend hopefully.

I would like suggestions for what I should rename provinces I colonize in the New World as you better believe that's a priority of mine.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure how viable colonizing much is going to be; our range probably still hasn't improved that much (and if we're interested in colonizing we'd probably want Superior Seamanship as a NI since it increases range another 15%).

But don't forget we still have an empire to rebuild!

The easiest, quickest option would be picking a language and following the British "New York" "New Jersey" option:

French: Nouvelle [One of our home province names] (e.g. like New Cambray -> Nouvelle Cambray);
    Old Frankish: Niuwi [province] (e.g. New Cambray -> Niuwi Cambray)
    Middle High German: Neu[provincename] (e.g. New Cambray -> Neucambray)

Next most famous option would be picking a ruler or discoverer and naming it after them:

This usually ended up in Latin, so language isn't as important. Generally you'll end up with a ruler name + "land" in some fashion. The Latin ending -ia for abstract nouns of feminine grammatical gender is the most famous example (e.g. Columbus -> Colombia; "Virgin" Queen -> Virginia; George -> Georgia).

Local language is also possible (e.g. Mary->Maryland). Even a name by itself can work (eg. de la Warr->Delaware).

Often times local language will tweak the original name (e.g. Louis -> Louisian -> Louisiana; Charles (Latin Carolus)->Caroline (French)/Carolana (English)->Carolina)

Third you've got a geographical/economical basis:

This could be named after someone who got a land grant (e.g William Penn->Pennsylvania (Penn's Forest)). Or the metals or goods found somewhere (e.g. Argentum (Latin for Silver)->Argentina; River of Silver (Spanish) -> Rio de la Plata; "Coast where ivory is traded" -> Côte d'Ivoire -> Ivory Coast; "Rich Coast" - Costa Rica). Or from geographical anomalies/spectacular vistas (Red Island->Roodt Eylandt (Dutch) -> Rhode Island; Reddish-colored river->Rio Colorado->Colorado).

The Spanish loved them some religious names, so those can work (e.g. Holy Spirit -> Spirito Santo; Body of Christ (from the Eucharist) -> Corpus Christi). Pick your favorite saint if you want (e.g. Santo Domingo; San Francisco). Or you can just keep the localities. We do have plenty of places where (often corrupted) native names are still used.

We can always correct them via event or when we roll into Vicky.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ehehm

I feel like I must point out that the New World is not.

It is Nouveau Vermandois.

It is ours by right of discovery, and [strike]I[/strike] Louis V already named it all.

Of course, I was also lazy, and forgot to look up whether Vermandois is masculine or feminine, so I might accept a slight correction to Nouvelle Vermandois.

:)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There are indeed lots of options and I'm guessing you won't found *that* many colonies.

Also, sorry for making the OP/SP all ugly.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It would be Nouvelle Vermandois.

Since I can speak French I'll go with that.

And I don't expect to be able to colonize very much, but I figure the names I go with may have a lot of influence on what we call our future nations there. Plus I may conquer the Aztecs or Maya.

And should we say Nouvelle Vermandois for only North America? That's all we've found so far I believe.

Don't worry though I won't neglect Europe, I just find it fun to imagine that we get a king at one point who is enamored at the idea of a new and foreign land.

EDIT: And how patched up should I be with HttT? 4.1?

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The last official patch, which is 4.1.

It was something I brought up in the mod-making process (and why one of the decisions once we become CRL lets us change most of the province names), but we're on the borderland between French and German, but there are quite a few aspects that would influence the language(s) spoken in our realm.

Charlemagne probably spoke a variant of Old Frankish (trending towards Old Dutch) or Old High German (he most likely would have referred to himself as Karl instead of Charles, although by all accounts he was a fluent Latin speaker and could have easily been Carolus).

But our game starts at 1066, by which point everything had continued as normal and we get to Middle High German (around the Rhine), Old Dutch (in Benelux), Old French (in northern France) and Old Occitan (south of our realm)... all of them with quite a bit of dialectical diversity. France begins to disintegrate around 1100 and basically disappears from history around 1200, so the importance of French from Maine, Anjou and Paris would probably be supplanted by languages from the east.

In addition to our language, Polish or some form of Scots (in addition to the historic pick of Latin) could have become the lingua franca (hah) of our world. In the intervening years. Poland seems to be doing an excellent job maintaining its stranglehold on Eastern Europe.

...So long as the Cumans don't get any colonies I think we should be alright.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So just to give everyone an idea of where we currently are.

Leon just kicked off the Protestant Reformation, which surprised me a bit, especially because we were at war with them at the time!

Dauphine is now a vassal because they stayed loyal to Alsace during a border conflict war, the same war that drew Leon in.

Our glorious King has decided to expand his African holdings, and I actually got Toubkhal from Leon as a peace deal. Also we're so tantalizingly close to being able to colonize Bermuda that it's killing me as I stare at our naval tech level.

Apparently when I recruited a new explorer we got the biggest bamf of all time, De La Roche, who has discovered a ton of stuff. Including South America so I'm trying to think up a name for that continent incorporating Roche into it. He also just introduced us to the Zapotec, who look like they devoured the Maya and Aztec, so very soon I may be outfitting an expedition with our Cortez equivalent funded by the 775(!) ducats that Leon gave up for peace.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So Louis the VI died in 1509, so I'll have my write up shortly.

We need to make a decision with regards to religion as lots of our country have converted to either Reformed or Protestant.

Overall I played this like a slightly oblivious monarch, whoever follows will need to achieve monetary equilibrium again as I used money from conquest of Zapotec to fuel everything, but it's not that bad so if we mint a little more I think we'll be fine. We do have our first colony in Nouvelle Vallencien (Rhode Island) with the settlement of Rocheville.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    May I recommend (eventually) Ile Rouge and Louisbourg (or Louisville - if only because it's more likely our initial settlement would be named after the monarch rather than the explorer à la Jamestown).

I'm not getting much luck coming up with a convincing continental name from Roche (although to be fair the Americas are not named the Colombias, so we need not name them after him...plus Europeans were crazy about their Latin and basically forced an -ia ending onto the continent name so it would be like Rochia...which is far too much like Russia).

Although Rochebourg sounds pretty cool, so we should name a city that.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oooh, those are much better then what I chose.

Whoever is next should totally change it to those.

And his full name was Rene Pot de le Roche so maybe something with that? Although we could call South America Louisiana. I do like Rouchebourg as a city. Rosendahl was the second explorer I got, so we might be able to do something with that.

My write up should be up sometime tomorrow evening, I'm working on it right now.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just finished my first complete game of EUIII with DW.

Munster from 1399 to 1821. I beat the usual suspects to colonizing North America, converted to Reformed and about 200 years later came back to the British Isles with a vengeance to form Ireland. After that I kicked all the Catholics out of North and Central America and that was that.

The rest of the world turned out to be ahistorical as fuck: Canada formed in Greenland, Brazil in Africa, Bavaria was EVERYWHERE from Europe, across the asian steppes to Oceania. Europe itself resembeled some modern African state with little warlords popping up, annexing their neighbours and then vanishing again. France collapsed. Spain collapsed. Russia never formed. Ming, of course, collapsed.

It was weird as hell but also very cool.

Edit: Oh an no, Roussillion was not a French province this game.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We need to make a decision with regards to religion as lots of our country have converted to either Reformed or Protestant.

Hold fast with the True Faith!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I forgot how bad I am at Victoria. Also: build some damn steel factories! Fucking capitalists. I've got four steamer shipyards but have to import 90% of my steel. And I think every state has a booze of some kind.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Interventionism or State Capitalism.

You can correct the "all-knowing" free-hand of capitalism to actually do more useful things. Like make your country a bit more self-reliant and producing the most profitable goods.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm America. So Laissez Faire for everyone!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh god I'm so sorry I was supposed to have this up but my laptop has been having major issues.

I'm trying to get my pictures back for the update, but I have the text parts that I was going to use ready.

Would people like the text without the pictures or the extra day while I scream at my laptop to get them back?

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's fine, I think. Go ahead and wait a day.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Not that it's actually that conducive to the LP (since upgrading to DW on Steam won't let you downgrade to HTTT?), but EU3: Complete (i.e. EU3, In Nomine and Napoleon's Ambition) and EU3: Chronicles (i.e. EU3, IN, NA, Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind) are both on sale on Steam.

At the very least EU3 Complete is $3.75 so if for some reason you don't own that: why are you even in this thread? Find a credit card - any credit card - and get buyin'.

I will note again that buying EU3: Chronicles will not let you play in the LP, since it only uses up to Heir to the Throne (because DW released half-way through the modding). I'm 99% sure Steam will make you update it all the way to Divine Wind, so you wouldn't be able to run the mod for the LP.

Also you may want to pass off the save to starkiller if that hasn't gone the way of the screen caps.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm getting better at Victoria, I think. Got Brazil to #4 and had a ridiculous amount of spare research. Would have been fifth if Germany had actually formed though (first time I think I've ever seen it not). Might have had a shot at passing France if I had kept my Full Citizenship/Pluralist party in charge, as they quadrupled my population in like 30 years.

Alternately, I could have conquered South America. The real key I think was buying the two French and three British territories north of me so the only badboy wars I had to fight were against the Dutch.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So am I up? I got a file a while back that I just saw and I've been moving so I missed the thread. If that's the save I'm supposed to use I'll fire it up now. Is it? Also, do we have the "latest" mod also in there? Haven't read the message yet probably should...moved computers also...sorry about the delay...didn't get the message right away...wanted to post here quickly.

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, Mr. Badass* hasn't posted his update yet, so you've got some time before you'll need to get yours up.

* EDIT:

Wow - I've been totally reading your screenname as "FarseerBadass." Um, sorry? It was only when I looked again really closely that I realized I'd been skipping some letters. I totally was not making fun of you there.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So do we have a link to the _current_ copy of the mod? Some of the messages implied that it was delivered via IM.

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think it's in Rex's first post in the thread on the first page.

Also, I finally beat the UK score-wise in a Victoria game (with VIP) without being Prussia. Japan (with a late Meiji Restoration, even!). Conquering China is a pain in the ass, especially when they're guaranteed by Russia, France, and the UK. :P Did manage it though, but didn't quite get level six railroads in the whole country. A few years/months away. Also a few years from not having massive rebellions all the time.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So I'm still holding so that I have some foriegn policy continuity till he posts. How long should I wait? Till next week?

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    If you want you can send the save to me and while we wait for Baradas to painstakingly draw the images he needs I can look into creating a few missions to further direct the AI and possibly us, if we keep getting saddled with generic missions.

I could also throw an event in for renaming the colony (I have also been looking into potentially changing province names in Victoria and HOI2, but at the very least country names can definitely be changed).

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sending the save. Due to July 4th I played...with other things. How much time do you need?

starkiller on