As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[futurama] "almost ten deliveries per year!"

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wondering why the beginning was kind of clunky, and it's because the episode is in the style of Tales of Interest. Good to know.

Magell on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    You know...I've been pretty hard on this season of Futurama.

But fucking christ is this fucking awful. I mean, reused jokes, unfunny bits, just terrible fucking writing all around. The first 20 minutes of have been a complete waste of time.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Petunia's Self-Serve Bee Farm
    Mine Your Own Beeswax

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This is shit. Zoidberg has the only two lines in this episode worth a shit.

And this whole bee storyline is fucking dumb.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is shit. Zoidberg has the only two lines in this episode worth a shit.

And this whole bee storyline is fucking dumb.

...It's just a television show?

I thought it was funny, myself.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    Petunia's Self-Serve Bee Farm
    Mine Your Own Beeswax

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I haven't watched the episode yet (DVR'd it), so I was concerned when I saw the negative reaction on here. Then I saw that JustinSane was the one making the negative comments, so now I'm not worried anymore.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also felt the episode was pretty bad, myself. A lot of it felt forced. Certainly not up to par with the end of the season.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also found it underwhelming. Giving each of the vignettes a common holiday theme and the same basic ending made the episode feel more repetitive than the other anthology episodes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I also found it underwhelming. Giving each of the vignettes a common holiday theme and the same basic ending made the episode feel more repetitive than the other anthology episodes.

I don't think it was conveyed well enough that they were doing something akin to Stephen Colbert's christmas special -- IE Lampooning chrismas episodes.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought it was alright, not great. Certainly not the worst episode of the season (that would be the goddamn cat one). Overall, though, I feel it has been extremely strong so far.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, there were some good jokes (the ending of the first one was kind of great, not knowing going in it was an anthology) but it wasn't quite up to their best work. Didn't hate it like Justin just thought it was meh to funny.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All of the songs were good, except kwanza. The one where the lead used to be a rapper. it sounded terrible.

Did john goodman do santa again?

Overall the episode was weird but worth keeping over the cats episode for sure.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm thinking I probably would have enjoyed the Futurama Christmas more if I hadn't just watched the season finale of Venture Bros. before hand. It's hard to follow the "What's a 'rusty venture'?" bit with "Rocks fall, everyone dies x3".

see317 on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All of the songs were good, except kwanza. The one where the lead used to be a rapper. it sounded terrible.

Did john goodman do santa again?

Overall the episode was weird but worth keeping over the cats episode for sure.

I assumed the half-hearted nature of the Kwanza one was deliberate (given that the first chunk of the segment was heavily playing on the 'nobody knows/cares' angle) but it doesn't really excuse it sounding poor.

But it's more that everything felt a bit lazy and half-baked - compare either of the other 'Anthology of Interest' episodes and you get the sense that the writers are trying to cram in as much as humanly possible into the tiny segments. Not a second of screentime is wasted - you're either listening to a quip, getting a sight gag or having the story rapidly shunted along. These just all felt oddly...slow - perhaps down to the repetition, or perhaps just due to more of the jokes falling flat and having to carry things until the next one.

The only thing that's really confusing me about the new series is that they seem underwritten - the core stories are solid, but the scripts don't seem to have been endlessly reworked to eliminate the stuff that doesn't work as well or up the joke density. I understand that they're working with a massively reduced budget and staff, but to be honest I thought that would affect the visuals more than the writing - penning a funny exchange is far, far less expensive than getting the voice actors in to record it and then animate it. But the animation and voicework have been top-notch, throughout the movies and new season - it really does seem to be a writing issue.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were three shows I wanted to watch Sunday, Futuram, Venture Brothers and The Walking Dead. This is the only one of the three I managed to stay awake to see. And it was not my favorite. It really didn't feel as funny as some of the previous episodes and I was disappointed. and I have loved this new season so far.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    The only thing that's really confusing me about the new series is that they seem underwritten - the core stories are solid, but the scripts don't seem to have been endlessly reworked to eliminate the stuff that doesn't work as well or up the joke density. I understand that they're working with a massively reduced budget and staff, but to be honest I thought that would affect the visuals more than the writing - penning a funny exchange is far, far less expensive than getting the voice actors in to record it and then animate it. But the animation and voicework have been top-notch, throughout the movies and new season - it really does seem to be a writing issue.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Bioptic wrote: »

I wholeheartedly agree.

Very much seconded. Or thirded. Whatever.

Atomika on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good news everyone!

There's a new episode running this Thursday on Comedy Central! Wait, that statement's not accurate. Let me try again. There's TWO new episodes running this Thursday on Comedy Central! And then one a week through the first week of August!

And if the stuff being posted on Futurama's Facebook feed is anything to go by, we're in for some truly crazy crap. How crazy? Crap like this!
    625-Fry.jpg

And this!
    626-Bender.jpg

So what are the episodes about? The episode names are wonderful enough, but I'll put the synopses in spoilers:

Benderama
    Bender gains the ability to replicate himself.

Neutopia
    The crew encounter a bizarre alien with power to change their characteristics.

Ghost in the Machines
    Bender's disembodied software haunts the Planet Express building after he dies.

Law & Oracle
    Fry quits his job and becomes a police office.

The Silence of the Clamps
    Bender goes into hiding after testifying against the Robot Mafia.

Yo Leela Leela
    Leela becomes a Hollywood big shot after her series creation.

All the Presidents' Heads
    The crew alters history when they travel back in time.

Mobius Dick
    Leela hunts down a mysterious four-dimensional space whale.

And yes, the show is bringing back the craziest thing of all.... MATH!

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Woo! New episodes! And right in time, I just finished school for the summer!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sweet!

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    aussie-haterade.gif

I'm ready for season 6.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I kind of hated on the last season when it aired, but upon revisiting it several times (thank, Netflix streaming!), I really liked them more and more. I think my expectations for a new season set my desire for deep continuity a bit too high.

Television, in any regard, has to make the choice of how strongly to utilize continuity. The stronger a show depends on continuity, the shorter its viable lifespan. Given the choice of 7 seasons of Futurama or 20, I think I might like 20.

Atomika on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Last season started pretty weak, but got much better near the end. That combined with some of these episode concepts sounding pretty great has me excited.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes. Another time travel episode. Good news everyone indeed.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Please tell me that Law & Oracle synopsis isn't a typo.... Please?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Last season started pretty weak, but got much better near the end. That combined with some of these episode concepts sounding pretty great has me excited.

This. Started out kinda sketchy but really picked up as it went on.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel comfortable placing "The Late Philip J. Fry" in the highest echelon of Futurama episodes. Stuff like Jurassic bark, Time keeps on slippin', and Luck of the Fryrish.

Also I just noticed that its title is a pun. Awesome.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't wait to see the new episodes. Coincidentally I started re-watching the series on DVD two days ago.

Hocky27 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Almost all Futurama's episode titles are puns, often working on two or three levels. I, Roommate and Fishful of Dollars being my two favorites.

Atomika on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So very excited.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I feel comfortable placing "The Late Philip J. Fry" in the highest echelon of Futurama episodes. Stuff like Jurassic bark, Time keeps on slippin', and Luck of the Fryrish.

Roswell That Ends Well.

End of argument.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    i'm not hearing a no...

Organichu on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm gonna feel dumb asking, but what's the pun?

Magus` on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Magus` wrote: »

I'm gonna feel dumb asking, but what's the pun?

It sounds like he's dead when he was actually just late.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah, ok

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Technically, by the end of the episode he's both.

Atomika on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Technically, by the end of the episode he's both.

You are technically correct - the best kind of correct.

Magell on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Time to post more favorite bits. I'll go first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSQO7eum79A&feature=related

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVGF8xvS20

Basically a perfect clip, right there.

Dehumanized on