As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sword and sworcery is the best. Seriously, what a fucking unique experience

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I can't help but feel a little glad that I didn't finish even half the games I bought on my iPad 2 (which, incidentally, makes almost Raz' entire list). :)

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    here's something I hadn't considered: what should I use as my new wallpaper/lockscreen now that it's retina display?

any suggestions for really high resolution wallpaper repositories etc. ?

right now i'm using some nice scenes from sword and sworcery I took using the snapshot function

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've seen that Sword and Sworcery mentioned a few times now, so I had to check it out. Very cool, that might be the very first thing I buy from the app store when I get my iPad tomorrow...

Also, from the app page version 1.04:
    #sworcery's striking pixels have been retina-ified even further, fixing numerous issues.

So... retina ready?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    might have just been for the iphone version, depends when that version was. if it was recent then yeah i guess so buuut

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Calls it a universal version... but I see what you mean, forgot to check the date on the update, Nov 2nd, so I guess not!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Wandered into the apple store today and picked one on a whim.

Screen is pretty f-ing crazy guys.

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I am so mad that I'm getting laid off on the same day as the new iPad. Now I'll be unemployed and stuck with my first gen iPad like a sucker.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hey guys what is messages on the iPad for? I tried sending messages to people with iPhones but it didnt do anything.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Sitting at FedEx facility in brooklyn.

GET ON THE TRUCK GODDAMMIT

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to run home during lunch if my iPad get's delivered before noon.

And then I will be completely useless for the rest of the day.

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Sitting at FedEx facility in brooklyn.

GET ON THE TRUCK GODDAMMIT

yeah mines in manhattan now

but office usually gets deliveries in afternoon

poo
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Hey guys what is messages on the iPad for? I tried sending messages to people with iPhones but it didnt do anything.

It works perfectly for sending iMessages to other Apple devices, those being either people with iOS5+ iPhones and iPads, or people running the Messages beta on OSX Lion.

You can send a message either to their iPhone phone number, or (preferably) their iCloud email address. When using the email address, it will show up on their computer, iPad and iPhone, and they maintain the conversation no matter where they post from.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    what do you use byword for

It was actually just released for iOS. In the past I've played around with other Dropbox-syncing text editors just as a simple way to keep notes, etc, in a place I trust. I've heard good things about Byword for OSX, and wanted to give it a shot.

As for Evernote, I get where you're coming from; I'm trying to get into the habit of using it more often. I'm hoping sometime this year to pick up a nice scanner like a SnapScan or a Doxie that does auto-OCR and Evernote import to make it super easy to get stuff into there and searchable. Right now I keep my insurance info, car repair/maintenance records, I've got a iftt-powered thing that throws favorited tweets into their own notebook for long-term storage.

This reminds me, are there any good automobile record keeping apps available on iOS? I use aCar on Android and I adore it, but would like to maintain my records on my iPad as well when it arrives. Looking for something that's tuned (no pun intended) for US usage as opposed to more Euro/Asia friendly ones.

What kinds of records? MPG, Maintenance with reminders, etc? AppCubby's GasCubby is one I've been using for years and it's very good (make sure to use their cloud sync on a regular basis though; I lost a year's worth of info because I was dumb and didn't sync it up before switching to a new phone. Don't think it's iPad sized, however.

Everything. Insurance and loan payments, fill-up records, service and maintenance records, and preferably stat tracking (like gas price fluctuations) with the ability to export all and/or select records to something like an Excel file.

ifixit's teardown article for the new iPad is live. Reading it made me feel pain, sadness, and anger.

I know you can add custom records to it, like I have one for my insurance renewal, annual registration, etc. It does allow for export to csv (you email yourself a csv attachment. For mileage tracking they have a companion app called TripCubby (I think) they've also got some clever integration with a few Todo apps so when something like an upcoming oil change pops up (it will remind you the next time you launch the app if it's been X months or Y miles since your last one, all of which can be tailored [IE you can go longer between synthetic oil changes vs regular oil]) you can automatically add it to Todo.

Here's a a few screenshots

GJtPe.gif

• Options
    syndalis wrote:

It works perfectly for sending iMessages to other Apple devices, those being either people with iOS5+ iPhones and iPads, or people running the Messages beta on OSX Lion.

You can send a message either to their iPhone phone number, or (preferably) their iCloud email address. When using the email address, it will show up on their computer, iPad and iPhone, and they maintain the conversation no matter where they post from.

when are they gonna get around to let you link your phone number to you iCloud address

that's silly that they don't

poo
  • Options
    my iPad is on a truck but who knows when that truck will arrive

lots of places in manhattan

and probably lots of ipads to deliver

poo
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's here, and it is beautiful.

Just installing apps right now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote:

when are they gonna get around to let you link your phone number to you iCloud address

that's silly that they don't

Biggest failing of the iMessage platform thus far.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Mine just arrived. See you kiddies this evening.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Delivered.

• Options
    Nice screen. Loading her up with apps now. FINALLY going to get around to playing Swords & Sorcery and Ghost Trick, too.

• Options
    :o

poo
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Woke up to the sound of a doorbell, package in hand.

Ironic how the black model I ordered, which Apple's site listed as arriving March 21st, ended up being the first one to arrive.

Backing up, restoring apps (255! Oy....), etc.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    the wifi in my office, it is not working right, so how will i be able to load apps before my train ride home :(

poo
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Got my iPad from Best Buy today. But restoring from the cloud takes forever! It's still downloading all my aps from my configuratuion.
    Now, how do you all handle his and her iPads? I'm thinking same apple is so she can access all apps and music- but does that mean we can't use find my friend and we have to share the documents in iWork? Can she have her own game center Id?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Your game center ID just your Apple ID, unfortunately. Sharing music is a problem, something my wife and I never really tried to get past...we just resigned ourselves to separate music (we have separate iPads though).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I asked this before but now with the increase in the size of some apps would it be worth it to see if I can exchange my 16gb for a 32gb before I open it? I'm going to be streaming videos to it and won't be having or playing more than a few games on it. The majority of what I'm going to be using it for is reading, surfing the Internet, and streaming media. The extra space would be nice to have just in case, but I'm not sure it's ultimately necessary for my intended uses.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    My iPad 2 is a 16gb model, and I use it basically for what you are talking about, and I've never had a space issue. That said, my iPad 3 pre-order is for a 32gb...so take that for what you will.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My Fedex tracking said that it was put on the truck at 8:31 this morning. Then at 9:14 it says "Delivery Exception - Future Delivery Requested." I hope that's just lingering in their system from it sitting in Ontario (California) all week and not because they decided for some reason it can't be delivered today.

edit: oh, interesting. All week it has been saying delivery estimate was today by 3:00pm. Now it says by 8:00pm.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's here, and it is beautiful.

Just installing apps right now.

Damn Raz, it looks like yours came in about the exact same time I did, nice.

This is definitely very cool, first iDevice and all.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If I'm reading Apple's return/refund/exchange policies right, I have 14 days after I receive the item to bring it back even if it's been opened. I think I'm going to load it up with everything I'm going to be using and see how close or far I am from running out of space and go from there.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    If I'm reading Apple's return/refund/exchange policies right, I have 14 days after I receive the item to bring it back even if it's been opened. I think I'm going to load it up with everything I'm going to be using and see how close or far I am from running out of space and go from there.

Just factory reset it before you send it back in.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Got my iPad from Best Buy today. But restoring from the cloud takes forever! It's still downloading all my aps from my configuratuion.
    Now, how do you all handle his and her iPads? I'm thinking same apple is so she can access all apps and music- but does that mean we can't use find my friend and we have to share the documents in iWork? Can she have her own game center Id?

Both my wife and I have iPhones. All our purchases are done on my Apple ID, and she has my Apple ID and password as the default in the Store app on her phone, so that we can share the apps and music. In the Store app is the only place where my Apple ID is used on her phone - she has her own Apple ID typed in for iCloud, Game Center, etc. I don't know how iWork works, but if y'all want to be 100% independent except for purchases, I'm pretty sure that's doable.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    IPad poasting is gud poasting

• Options
    my office still no get

and wifi in office is no work

is dumb

poo
  • Options
    got itttt

poo
  • Options
    except i cant do a single thing because our wifi is broken

poo
  • Options
    You can borrow my mifi come to Brooklyn

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I got a 16 gb, but I have plenty of apps I can get rid of.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Six wrote:
    You can borrow my mifi come to Brooklyn

if i go to brooklyn i may as well go home :|

i have a train ride to boston at 5:40, i wanted to download things on my ipad before that, but right now i can't even activate the damn thing because our work wifi is broken, and i cant share my ethernet connection with it because internet sharing is disabled

poo