Options

a

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Hard to say yet because it is a few mm's thicker. A few companies have already put up a few cases for order or preorder, but I imagine in a few weeks the market will be flooded with all matter of cases to choose from.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    This is actually what I was coming to ask. Belkin has this snap case up for preorder on Amazon but it doesn't even give a release date (is this good, btw, a combination of the snap case and a smart cover?). Will I be better served going to a brick and mortar store looking for ipad 3-specific cases on Friday, or am I just going to have a naked ipad for a week or two?

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Incidio and DoDo (I haven't looked around more than that) both have cases up for preorder, but if you're looking for options I think it's going to be a bit before there are a lot of choices. That said, once the public gets their hands on the iPad this Friday we'll start finding out what iPad 2 cases will fit. I personally could care less about the camera on the back, so if a case fits but covers part of the lens that's fine by me. I'll probably end up getting something like the Dodo Case Bookback (http://www.dodocase.com/products/bookback-for-ipad2) because I don't really want a a full on case.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I personally could NOT care less about the camera on the back

sorry...can't help it

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    Can anyone recommend a decent stylus for the iPad?

This is just for notetaking. I won't be using it to draw or anything.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    cosmonaut

though the iPad's capacitive screen isn't well suited to handwritten notes. The surface area required to register is larger than most folks handwriting; it's more akin to a low-fidelity writing surface like a whiteboard (thus, a chubby stylus like the cosmonaut.)

• Options
    edited March 2012
    mines gonna sit in PA until mid week i am sure

derp derp

hey smart hero, talk to me about apps, as an iphone user who does not yet have an ipad

If it helps, here's my homescreen

ug06h.jpg

My must-have apps

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hm cool. i never really got into using evernote.

hm omnifocus

i always try todo type apps and then never use em

i use almost all the rest of those on my phone already

poo
  • Options
    what do you use byword for

poo
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/14/another-new-ipad-surfaces-in-hong-kong-with-sample-video-and-graphics-benchmarks/

The graphics performance is most DEFINITELY improved.

140fps as opposed to 90fps on the iPad 2 on the GLBenchmark tool

Offscreen test went from 146fps to 250fps

That's a pretty big leap.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Anyone else who sold off their old iPads experiencing iPad fatigue?

I keep finding myself lounging around, reaching my arm out, only to grab nothing but air.

Two more days....:(

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/14/another-new-ipad-surfaces-in-hong-kong-with-sample-video-and-graphics-benchmarks/

The graphics performance is most DEFINITELY improved.

140fps as opposed to 90fps on the iPad 2 on the GLBenchmark tool

Offscreen test went from 146fps to 250fps

That's a pretty big leap.

I was under the impression that the GLBechmark tool hasn't been updated to scale for retina resolution yet, so the tool is testing the new iPad at the iPad 2's resolution. So yeah, obviously the new iPad's quad core GPU is going to punish the iPad 2's at the same resolution.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    cosmonaut

though the iPad's capacitive screen isn't well suited to handwritten notes. The surface area required to register is larger than most folks handwriting; it's more akin to a low-fidelity writing surface like a whiteboard (thus, a chubby stylus like the cosmonaut.)
    I've seen apps that shrink your writing to manage that. Doesn't make the writing any better, but you won't take up as much space per "page."

I dunno, I have some Amazon credit and wouldn't mind tossing $15-25 to try it out.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Embargo on reviews has been lifted. Bunch of them aggregated here. Friday can't come soon enough!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Anyone else who sold off their old iPads experiencing iPad fatigue?

I keep finding myself lounging around, reaching my arm out, only to grab nothing but air.

Two more days....:(

didn't sell my 2

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    Friday is gonna be the longest workday...

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • Options
    I've kind of heard mixed reports: is the battery life on the New iPad longer than the iPad 2, or the same?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The same. All of the reviews I've read have indicated that Apple's estimates are really accurate.

EDIT: The Slashgear review claims they reasonably see 20 hours of battery life with LTE enabled, so that greatly exceeds Apple's estimates. I would take that estimate with a huge grain of salt though as most other reviews have said battery life is pretty much spot on with Apple's estimates.
    Slashgear wrote:
    Apple surprised everybody with the battery life of the original iPad, and managed to maintain that in the second generation despite slimming the casing and improving the processor. The new iPad devotes even more internal space to batteries, and does what, until now, has proved impossible: taming LTE’s voracious thirst for power.

Ten hours of active WiFi use is quoted, or up to nine hours over 3G/4G, and the new iPad actually managed to exceed our expectations. From a full-charge at 8am on day one, the iPad lasted heavy use through to the evening of the following day, with LTE powered on 95-percent of the time. In fact, we only turned off LTE to connect via WiFi for a FaceTime video call, which is still limited to WiFi connections.

A four hour loop of HD video continuously playing – with email, Twitter and other updates being pulled in over LTE in the background – saw the new iPad’s battery drop from 70-percent to 51-percent. Extrapolating from that rate, the tablet could last more than 20 hours.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »
    The "4G" icon that's now appearing at the top of my AT&T network iPhone 4S doesn't actually mean anything, right?

It means that AT&T (or their money) talked Apple into believing that AT&T's "fourth generation" technology is just as "4G" as everyone else's even if it is a bit lot slower. That is "4G" == "our fourth generation technology" not "as fast as the fastest fourth generation technology."

This is what comes of deciding that marketing terms are just as informative as actual specifications.

what it means is that 4G and LTE are not the same thing

it means that 4G=HSPA+ speeds and the iPhone 4S did not accurately reflect that it was receiving HSPA+ speeds before

now, it does.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Above post illustrating the difference between 4G = the technical specification and 4G = the marketing brand name

• Options

It was actually just released for iOS. In the past I've played around with other Dropbox-syncing text editors just as a simple way to keep notes, etc, in a place I trust. I've heard good things about Byword for OSX, and wanted to give it a shot.

As for Evernote, I get where you're coming from; I'm trying to get into the habit of using it more often. I'm hoping sometime this year to pick up a nice scanner like a SnapScan or a Doxie that does auto-OCR and Evernote import to make it super easy to get stuff into there and searchable. Right now I keep my insurance info, car repair/maintenance records, I've got a iftt-powered thing that throws favorited tweets into their own notebook for long-term storage.

• Options

It was actually just released for iOS. In the past I've played around with other Dropbox-syncing text editors just as a simple way to keep notes, etc, in a place I trust. I've heard good things about Byword for OSX, and wanted to give it a shot.

As for Evernote, I get where you're coming from; I'm trying to get into the habit of using it more often. I'm hoping sometime this year to pick up a nice scanner like a SnapScan or a Doxie that does auto-OCR and Evernote import to make it super easy to get stuff into there and searchable. Right now I keep my insurance info, car repair/maintenance records, I've got a iftt-powered thing that throws favorited tweets into their own notebook for long-term storage.

This reminds me, are there any good automobile record keeping apps available on iOS? I use aCar on Android and I adore it, but would like to maintain my records on my iPad as well when it arrives. Looking for something that's tuned (no pun intended) for US usage as opposed to more Euro/Asia friendly ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So Sparrow is out for iOS but lacks push notifications which can be remedied by using Boxcar. It's $2.99 and despite having to use Boxcar as a workaround to get push notifications I'm going to give it a try. It's only for iPhone and iPod touch for now with no immediate plans for an iPad version which is a shame.

On a side note, my new iPad has actually left the warehouse in PA and has arrived Newark, NJ to be transferred somewhere else.

• Options
    I've heard "meh" regarding Sparrow from some people I trust... but let us know

poo
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    My ipad also has been transferred from PA to Newark!

it probably shared a ride in the same truck :3

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    iPad buddies 8->

• Options
    Mine has been sitting in Louisville, Kentucky since Sunday.

Still there. Damn thing better update soon.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    I wish mine would start moving already. It's been in Nashville, TN since Saturday.

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    iPad buddies 8->

Three's company!

Or third wheel, perverts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote: »

This reminds me, are there any good automobile record keeping apps available on iOS? I use aCar on Android and I adore it, but would like to maintain my records on my iPad as well when it arrives. Looking for something that's tuned (no pun intended) for US usage as opposed to more Euro/Asia friendly ones.

What kinds of records? MPG, Maintenance with reminders, etc? AppCubby's GasCubby is one I've been using for years and it's very good (make sure to use their cloud sync on a regular basis though; I lost a year's worth of info because I was dumb and didn't sync it up before switching to a new phone. Don't think it's iPad sized, however.

• Options
    Bullio wrote: »

What kinds of records? MPG, Maintenance with reminders, etc? AppCubby's GasCubby is one I've been using for years and it's very good (make sure to use their cloud sync on a regular basis though; I lost a year's worth of info because I was dumb and didn't sync it up before switching to a new phone. Don't think it's iPad sized, however.

Everything. Insurance and loan payments, fill-up records, service and maintenance records, and preferably stat tracking (like gas price fluctuations) with the ability to export all and/or select records to something like an Excel file.

ifixit's teardown article for the new iPad is live. Reading it made me feel pain, sadness, and anger.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I had evernote installed and never used it.

Until I started using it for keeping work notes. I used to use emails to myself for that stuff, now it's all in Evernote.

Edit: My iPad's in Newark too. No early delivery for me, sadly.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I've heard "meh" regarding Sparrow from some people I trust... but let us know

I'm using Sparrow and I like it. I love the Mac version and I was really excited for this one, and while it's not perfect, it's got a lot going for it. It looks so, so much better than mail.app, and I'm finding the gestures to be pretty handy. Some quirks take some getting used to, like having to swipe right to left rather than left to right to delete a message, and the reply button being at the top of the screen rather than the bottom, but those are easy to overcome.

There are a couple pretty glaring flaws, though. No push is pretty big, though I don't have push enabled for mail.app anyway so personally it's not as problematic as it is for some other people. I do use fetch, though, so my options are either to keep fetching with mail.app then using Sparrow to actually read the mail, or switching to Boxcar. Not sure which I'll go with yet. Bigger for me is the fact that it automatically assigns colours to your labels, with no way to change them. Sparrow for Mac is able to import the colours from Gmail but the iPhone one isn't and I'm not sure why, but having labels that are the wrong colour is maybe more useless than not having labels at all, since I keep thinking a message is a different type than it really is. I'm hoping this will be fixed in an update soon. Also, not being able to set it as a default mail client is shitty, so whenever you click a mail link in Safari or something it'll open mail.app, but that's Apple's fault, not Sparrow's. I think I can deal with it, since usually I'll be manually opening the app to send mail anyway.

I'm going to give it a shot as my primary client for a few days and see if I like it enough to use it permanently. These complaints may be enough to keep me away, but I hope not, because it's so pretty.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    mine has shipped from california! wooo

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Mine has been sitting in Louisville, Kentucky since Sunday.

Still there. Damn thing better update soon.

UPS? Yeah mine too. Though I see that it departed at like 4:45 their time, so mine's now on its way west!

• Options
    Yeah, mine finally left Kentucky at around 3:30pm EST.

Went to Walmart and grabbed a Smart Cover. Was tempted by leather, but fuck paying another $30 for that.

Seriously considered a pink cover.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    If anyone here is new to the app store, I've made a post with a very short list of generally applauded apps that will look nice on the bigger screen. The whole thing is under $40 bucks, so it's not too bad on the wallet either. I even tried to get a broad range of prices for the really cost-conscious shopper.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    personally i'm gonna do some angry birds HD, infinity lade 2, and sword and sworcery

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If anyone here is new to the app store, I've made a post with a very short list of generally applauded apps that will look nice on the bigger screen. The whole thing is under $40 bucks, so it's not too bad on the wallet either. I even tried to get a broad range of prices for the really cost-conscious shopper.

Any opinions on Chaos Rings? Both the first one and Omega are on sale this week while Square charges an absurd amount for Chaos Rings II.

Wondering which of the two is worth getting, and if either would benefit with the iPad 3 upgrade.

Also wondering if they'll have the update ready for FFT by then, but I highly, highly doubt it.

Edit: Just checked my tracking orders, both iPads are less than 30 minutes driving distance from where I live.

Oh man, I'm so excited/nervous. In addition to worrying about which color to keep, as well as the engraving, I read about a possible "yellow tint" problem.

Odds should be good that at least one of the two iPads will be perfect. Here's hoping.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    I haven't played Chaos Rings, but I heard it was decent yet overpriced. If it's cheap enough, it'd be a pretty enough game to show off.

YL9WnCY.png