Options

Borderlands: That thread is our last hope. No, there is another.

• Options
    estrada42estrada42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Hunter aint all that great pve, I pretty much just waltz in with my defiler or volcano and spray bullets, only not using my anarchy if it's out of ammo cause it's the best dps evar.

Woo new defiler 4.2 zoom 648 damage

... What?

You're using something with enormous DPS (Somewhere in the 4000-6000 range) like this:
    HX540DDesertAnarchy.png
    but has pitiful strike damage with a Hunter. You should be striving for something like:
    AX300XXSavageUnforgiven.png
    for bosses and whatnot. Then something like:
    AX300DDesertAnaconda.png
    for running around, due to it's high strike/2000 some DPS. You'll kill faster, assuming you're a Gunslinger. If not, why do you have a Defiler to begin with? You'd do better with a Corrosive SMG/Semi-Auto Sniper.

Anyway, back to Gunslingers. You've got two slots full, so add in something like:
    AX300PearlChimera.png
    or something like:
    AX300CPestilentDefiler.png
    for some elemental damage. Then, so you can benefit from both the range and the stupendous DPS, get one of these:
    PPZ470DDesertPenetrator.png
    It's basically a Sniper machine gun. It kills everything.

EDIT: Note, I made all the above in the Gear Calculator. Those're basically the best of the best of their form... in other words, you'll probably never see them. You can get close though. The exception, for me, is that final Penetrator. I somehow found that one, thus the inferior stock.

[scooter]"Smoking Jesus titty cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER! Thats gonna be SWEEEET!"[scooter]

Why can't I find killer guns like that for my Hunter!

EDIT: That's what happens when I don't read and I see shiny objects.

estrada42 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh I do havea decent mod for gunslinger, has ammo regen sweet. Now I just need a not shitty shield.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    estrada42 wrote: »
    Hunter aint all that great pve, I pretty much just waltz in with my defiler or volcano and spray bullets, only not using my anarchy if it's out of ammo cause it's the best dps evar.

... What?

You're using something with enormous DPS (Somewhere in the 4000-6000 range) like this:
    HX540DDesertAnarchy.png
    but has pitiful strike damage with a Hunter. You should be striving for something like:
    AX300DDesertAnaconda.png
    for running around, due to it's high strike/2000 some DPS. You'll kill faster, assuming you're a Gunslinger. If not, why do you have a Defiler to begin with? You'd do better with a Corrosive SMG/Semi-Auto Sniper.

Anyway, back to Gunslingers. You've got two slots full, so add in something like:
    AX300PearlChimera.png
    or something like:
    for some elemental damage. Then, so you can benefit from both the range and the stupendous DPS, get one of these:

EDIT: Note, I made all the above in the Gear Calculator. Those're basically the best of the best of their form... in other words, you'll probably never see them. You can get close though. The exception, for me, is that final Penetrator. I somehow found that one, thus the inferior stock.

[scooter]"Smoking Jesus titty cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER! Thats gonna be SWEEEET!"[scooter]

Masher oranges are extremely rare in my experience. I've found 2, and both of those were equalizers. I'd give Mordecai's left nut for an Unforgiven Masher. Skullmashers, on the other hand, I'm swimming in. Those are great with that talent that reduces bloodwing cooldown when you shoot a dude with a sniper rifle, since they count as 5+ hits every time. It's basically instant recharge.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How do you people find these things

Are they only available if you're playing multiplayer or what

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Simple, I have my defiler and that's it. I haven't found a single Chimera, Unforgiven or Anaconda and the anarchy is the best gun I currently have for melting Knoxx :P

I also don't have a good gunslinger mod.

Ok, fair enough. But then your "Hunter ain't all that great PvE" line should be followed by a YMMV.

I know my Gunslinger kills faster than a lot of Sirens I play with, high money Mercs do beat me though. Commandos can keep up, Riflemen slack. I think I've only played with 2 Bricks, so I can't comment on them.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All my gear has been found single player most of the new stuff glitchin nox. Also found one of those smgs that regen ammo. I could make a helluva siren at this point, got one of those fire smgs too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm still only level 54, my masher is lame but it's the best revolver I've found so far

Everything still takes way too many hits to die

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    estrada42 wrote: »

... What?

HX540DDesertAnarchy.png
    AX300DDesertAnaconda.png

AX300PearlChimera.png
    or something like:

Masher oranges are extremely rare in my experience. I've found 2, and both of those were equalizers. I'd give Mordecai's left nut for an Unforgiven Masher. Skullmashers, on the other hand, I'm swimming in. Those are great with that talent that reduces bloodwing cooldown when you shoot a dude with a sniper rifle, since they count as 5+ hits every time. It's basically instant recharge.

To estrada, this is what I currently have on:
    EQ300-BSwiftEqualizer.png
    TMP882DoubleThanatos.png
    110ThunderStorm.png
    PPZ470DDesertPenetrator.png?t=1284653613
    WeeWeesSuperBooster.png?t=1284653545

My only real "rare" items are the Penetrator and the Shield, which is a perfect Wee Wee. GOD that took forever.

To Zed, the Unforgiven isn't that great. The 80,000 some-odd perfect shot crit is nice, but it fires too slowly for the paper-thin Mordecai to make survivable use of it. The Anaconda is the much better choice, IMHO.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about Mashers. Grumble, Grumble...
    How do you people find these things

Are they only available if you're playing multiplayer or what

Nah, you can get them any time. It's all luck of the draw, so it takes a lot of patience. Killing Craw/raiding Craw's vending machine/Knoxx glitch runs out the wazoo.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does the Borderlands 360 DLC disc work only once or can it be installed multiple times on different systems?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Multiple times, get a used copy from Gamestop, upload to hearts content, then return it.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Excellent.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At what point is a good time to hop online?
    I don't want to be a weeny and die all the time.

Also how are you guys passing weapons on to other characters? do you need the DLC with the bank or do you just do a co-op and drop/pass?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What is the quickest way to level up (on the 360)? I started a new character (new account) and my brother's level is 48. I need to catch up to him and he's helping me with it.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    AziraAzira Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When I first started playing my level 50 friends took me to Playthrough 2 and we (er, they) killed stuff there. I leveled up about six times in the space of about 30 minutes. Jumped from level 8 to 13 or 14 I think.

I'm going to have to restart my characters since I was unable to fix my PS3, but I'll pick up the GotY edition when it comes out.

Azira on
    wa6qlu.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Multiple times, get a used copy from Gamestop, upload to hearts content, then return it.

Or, you know, buy it in some way that the developer gets some money.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Movin on up the pestilent defiler chain got a 763 damage one now, only 2 shots and 2.4x zoom though.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

Uh... what?

Let me teach you how it all works. A retail distribution company (Gamestop, Best-Buy, hell even Wal-Mart, etc.) wants a game to be on their shelves. Their big wigs in accounts receivable get ahold of a developer, or their distribution middle-man, and tells them as much. They then purchase a ton of copies of said game from the developer, up their buying cost by 20% for their final sale point, and sell you the game, making profit. If the retail distribution company doesn't sell a copy they have in backstock, that's lost profit for them.

Where in this equation does Gearbox not make their money? They made it three steps before you bought it.

EDIT: Now, the argument may come up that "But, if you buy it new, then RDC will have to buy another one from the developer." In most cases, untrue. Borderlands itself is the perfect example. At launch, the amount of want for this game was grossly underestimated, and as such, not enough copies were made available to the public at RDCs. After this came to the attention of the people in accounts receivable, they ordered more copies.

This is where the argument unravels. RDCs warestock, meaning that they order enough copies from publishers that they fit the bill for preorders, expected demand, and a fuckton of extras sitting in corporate warehouses. When the demand exceeded expectations on Borderlands, they did it all over again, but on a new demand model. It takes literal months or years before a game is needed ordered from the developer for replenishment.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    nooooo Crawmerax 1 shot away but I die

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Without getting too into arguments about who deserves the dollars the most, I try to buy new whenever possible, but sometimes I gotta take care of myself before worrying about the developers. If I can get it used for a fraction of the price and then resell it myself at some point, the that's what I might do.

I did, however, buy Borderlands for $60 brand new, so it's not like the devs haven't seen any of my money. I think that's a good balance.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Uh... what?

Let me teach you how it all works. A retail distribution company (Gamestop, Best-Buy, hell even Wal-Mart, etc.) wants a game to be on their shelves. Their big wigs in accounts receivable get ahold of a developer, or their distribution middle-man, and tells them as much. They then purchase a ton of copies of said game from the developer, up their buying cost by 20% for their final sale point, and sell you the game, making profit. If the retail distribution company doesn't sell a copy they have in backstock, that's lost profit for them.

Where in this equation does Gearbox not make their money? They made it three steps before you bought it.

EDIT: Now, the argument may come up that "But, if you buy it new, then RDC will have to buy another one from the developer." In most cases, untrue. Borderlands itself is the perfect example. At launch, the amount of want for this game was grossly underestimated, and as such, not enough copies were made available to the public at RDCs. After this came to the attention of the people in accounts receivable, they ordered more copies.

This is where the argument unravels. RDCs warestock, meaning that they order enough copies from publishers that they fit the bill for preorders, expected demand, and a fuckton of extras sitting in corporate warehouses. When the demand exceeded expectations on Borderlands, they did it all over again, but on a new demand model. It takes literal months or years before a game is needed ordered from the developer for replenishment.

But if you buy used, then the demand for new copies is decreased. Developers only get paid for new copies. Gamestop stocks new games based on estimated demand for new games. Gamestop's used game business is not good business for anyone but Gamestop.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    But if you buy used, then the demand for new copies is decreased. Developers only get paid for new copies. Gamestop stocks new games based on estimated demand for new games. Gamestop's used game business is not good business for anyone but Gamestop.

o_O

EDIT: Now, I'll agree with you on a point. Gamestop's (Note, they aren't the only one in the game.) used game business isn't good business for anyone but Gamestop. True. But how does that used game business impact developers? If GS only sold new games, one, they'd go out of business. Two, they would only increase their new product sales by a small proportion... those that wouldn't go out and find wherever the used games are being sold. People would find a way to recoup some of their investment in a video game without the GS used game service.

Bottom line. Developers get paid. The business model supports the system. Without used sales GS goes under. Without GS style stores the greater knowledge base (Because, seriously, when was the last time you bought something at Wal-Mart and got knowledgeable service for this entertainment genre?) would be lost to servicing other departments, or just plain laze, and there wouldn't be a good jumping off point for new gamers. No new gamers means no growth of the industry. Fire and brimstone, and such, follows.

That's not to say GS or stores like them are perfect, goodness no, but the model helps the industry... like it or not.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    (snip)

Bottom line. Developers get paid. The business model supports the system. Without used sales GS goes under. Without GS style stores the greater knowledge base (Because, seriously, when was the last time you bought something at Wal-Mart and got knowledgeable service for this entertainment genre?) would be lost to servicing other departments, or just plain laze, and there wouldn't be a good jumping off point for new gamers. No new gamers means no growth of the industry. Fire and brimstone, and such, follows.

That's not to say GS or stores like them are perfect, goodness no, but the model helps the industry... like it or not.

If the used games resale business model supports the system, then how do you explain why so many publishers are putting "one-use" codes in their NEW games, or creating DLC, or selling games via digital distribution channels? I seriously can't recall ever hearing anyone in publishing/development endorsing used games sales....

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Because they want to pad their wages, obviously. It's the same reason that Gamestop and similar stores offer their discount-on-used cards, because that is where they make their money. The reason for digital distribution is one, it cuts shipping and manufacture costs, and two, they can make a larger profit for their sale. You ever wonder why new digital games are the same price as physical copies even though they cost much less to distribute in that medium?

Now, with that in mind, of course they aren't going to endorse the sale of used games, but if you notice not one of them are reviling RDCs and their profiteering. Publishers realize that RDCs are an invaluable source of income (And for that matter, growth.), but if they can pad each end of the dollar that's coming in, why not?

EDIT: Also, if they were so against RDCs, why would publishers offer to have single RDC franchise based pre-order bonuses? That does nothing but help all three parties involved. Publishers, RDCs, and consumers.

Also, a clarification point. The used game sales model doesn't support "The business" in terms of the entire genre of electronic entertainment. It supports a portion of it, which in turn supports "The business". Like most things in corporate society, it's a robbing Peter to pay Paul thing.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    (update)

I agree...increased traffic at Gamestop (and other retail outlets) is a good thing. A player of a used game is preferable to no player at all. However, used game sales are not *as* supportive of the industry as new sales. And on a per-sale basis, used game sales are economically WORTHLESS to developers/publishers.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Now, with that in mind, of course they aren't going to endorse the sale of used games, but if you notice not one of them are reviling RDCs and their profiteering.

Really?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261330
    "I don't think we really care whether used game buyers are upset because new game buyers get everything. So if used game buyers are upset they don't get the online feature set I don't really have much sympathy for them."

"That's a little blunt but we hope it doesn't disappoint people. We hope people understand that when the game's bought used we get cheated,"

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

DLC discs are not returnable for this exact reason. It's on the receipt.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about your whole explanation of how it works. Devs want those new copies sold, I'm sure they see some profit out of it. Also, you could buy the DLC from the marketplace, which I imagine would get them profit as well.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Notice that they aren't saying that RDCs are bad for doing it, but they realize that they can make more money off new sales. It's profiteering of their own. If the former was the case, then THQ wouldn't be offering a pre-order bonus on RAW 2011.

Basically, used games were being sold long before there was a business model for it. If you can make the most money by cracking down on it to a certain degree, then it is your gain. But trying to eliminate a company that does nothing but support your sales is silly, and if that's their goal, then THQ is very short sighted.

Yes, I am saying that a company that is 'in league' with another would try to lessen the sales of their compatriot if it would mean more sales for them. That's simple capitalistic economics. But they know (Or should know) well that the collapse of the same compatriot would damage their profits.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited September 2010

DLC discs are not returnable for this exact reason. It's on the receipt.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about your whole explanation of how it works. Devs want those new copies sold, I'm sure they see some profit out of it. Also, you could buy the DLC from the marketplace, which I imagine would get them profit as well.

They've changed their policy since I've looked then.

Look, everybody who is reading my diatribes can agree or not, but it's simple economics.

Here's the TL: DR version- Publishers are underpaid for the work they do, as in it's harder to make a profit worth the work, but can't raise the price too far because that would lead to lessened sales. So, they try to pad a dollar on both ends.

RDCs are doing the same thing.

Both of their padding is counter intuitive to the other.

EDIT: Now, while I am enjoying this discussion (And I say that with no sarcasm.), I have to go to my history class... and we're kinda cluttering up the thread. If you guys wanna continue, leave me a PM.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yippie pardners

gunslingerclassmod.png

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    it bugs me that gunslinger mods improve a sniper rifle talent

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Hung BunnyHung Bunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finally fixed my broken quest :mrgreen: The reason I couldn't edit my save was because I needed to export the save using another program before editing it in Willowtree. It's all sorted now and I'm just finishing off the last couple of quests, then putting the game to bed until the new DLC and level cap increase.

Hung Bunny on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yippie pardners

gunslingerclassmod.png

+23? >:O

I wish I could figure out how to get my 30something level hunter going on my PS3 instead of a friends (where he was made)

btw SkutSkut do you want try taking on crawmerax with me? Maybe give me some tips?

Estilo on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It figures. Out of the 215th corpse of Crawmerax pops the first Pearlescent I've ever seen -- a Hardened Ironclad shield.

It has barely 200 more capacity than my current (purple) shield, with half the regen rate and double the time it takes to start regenerating. I'm not even going to use it.

But hey, I found a Pearlescent...

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does Craw not show up until playthrough 2 since he's always 61 (I think)? Or? I just realized I've beaten Knoxx dozens of times in playthrough 1 and never heard a peep about Craw from anyone or anything.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if you beat knoxx, the craw mission is on the bounty board afterward.

And yes, it's in Playthrough 1 and 2.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, duh. I kept getting that notification when running the red chest in T-bone a few times and was ignoring it. Then I've been starting in Oasis and not setting foot in T-bone lately. Thanks for information. Weird it's there in playthrough 1, though, since it's practically impossible to get to 61.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Estilo wrote: »
    Yippie pardners

gunslingerclassmod.png

+23? >:O

I wish I could figure out how to get my 30something level hunter going on my PS3 instead of a friends (where he was made)

btw SkutSkut do you want try taking on crawmerax with me? Maybe give me some tips?

If you're on PC add me on steam and we can do craw some time sure, I need to transfer some stuff to a siren I plan on making too.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skuttie

As for tips? I just looked up the exploit vid for craw and still can't kill him and all my loot's been luck lol.

Oh and PC duders anyone wanna do some 61 moxxie?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If you want to transfer stuff between characters just fire up another copy of the game and one hosts a LAN game, the other joins. I discovered this by accident and it works fine.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nooooo Crawmerax 1 shot away but I die

This has happened to me so many times:-<
    I feel your pain.

My last set of Craw runs were pretty lucky for once, found a nice 1077 damage Defiler (no scope but then I have plenty of scoped weaponry so I can deal) a Hellfire that balances its 245 damage with a pretty paltry 4.3 fire rate, and my first pearlescent in an Omega shield. all in all not a terrible haul really.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    it bugs me that gunslinger mods improve a sniper rifle talent

Most of the class mods have some talent on them that makes zero sense. It's definitely one of the more obnoxious things in the game. :x

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI