As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    So I'm playing this for the first time. "Mike, what was that!?" "I uh...fired a missile at the palace." hah, that surprised the hell out of me.

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Has anyone else had problems with the game not saving due to have 2 drives? I've got 2 harddrives in my pc, one smaller SSD (C) for programs and a big fat normal drive (D) for everything else.

To save space, I moved the My Documents folder to the D drive. The problem is, for games that want to put saves/settings in My Documents, this sometimes goes screwy as the game isn't installed on the same drive as My Documents.

Alpha Protocol is apparently one of these games. It runs perfectly fine, it just doesn't save my settings and any savegames I try to make just well, don't get made.

I've googled the issue and the results confirmed my suspicion that it was due to the drive split, but there didn't seem to be a good fix for the issue. I tried making an Alpha Protocol folder with all the correct subfolders on the D drive, but that didn't help.

I want to play Alpha Protocol, but I really, really, don't want to change my Steam games install location to D or move My Documents back to C just for one game.

Does anyone have an idea for a workaround or fix?

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    When you moved My Documents over to Drive D, hopefully you created a junction point.

If you did, you shouldn't have any problems.

If you didn't, how the fuck did it work in the first place?!!!

• Options
    I unfortunately don't remember how I did it. I've had this issue with other games so it's possible I somehow screwed up the process.

How would I be able to check?

• Options
    Well, can you access c:\users\username (even though it's sitting in d:\myshit\username) and have it still think it's drive c?

You can use http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768 this to see if it is a junction.

I seem to recall you need to go through some contortions to make the special directories (e.g. My Music) work right.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I do the same thing, my Steam games are installed on my D drive and my saves are on my E drive. I can't remember having any save issues last time I played.

What version of Windows are you using? I'm using 8 and it's much easier to do than when I was using 7.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Windows 7. I probably screwed something up when I shifted the folder. Gonna try and restore the folder to its default location and redo it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think the difference here is in the moving of the My Documents folder. Not in using a different drive to save.

However, some games reeeealy don't like it when you try to modify default location settings. Most won't tell you and it's not a common issue because few people modify such things during installation.

In this case, NWK may need to just deal with saving game information on the C: Drive.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They're save files. How big can they be? Just save them to the SSD.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think what I did is somehow fuck it up with the Library Documents thing as opposed to the actual My Documents folder.

Cooljammer00, the save files are tiny, that's not the problem. The problem is that the game wants to save the files in My Documents, so I'd need to either move My Documents back to the SSD or install my Steam games on my storage drive. Neither of these are appealing options.

edit: what I'm doing is copying the contents of My Documents to somewhere else on the storage drive, then I'm gonna remake/unbreak the My Documents folder/library. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

NWK on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    They're save files. How big can they be? Just save them to the SSD.

You can, but AP automatically saves to My Documents. If you moved the entire Documents folder to another harddrive, it would affect everything in that folder, not just AP.

Edit: I do it for all My folders, music, documents, pics, downloads, and videos. I don't want those files cluttering up my main SSD, which is only 60gigs. My game SSD is 110gigs, and my E drive is a standard 900gigs, which is where I keep those folders.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    What you want to do is move the directory, but also to create a hard link to the location where you moved the files. You can't use Explorer to move the files either, or the permissions and special directories get jacked up.

I think the procedure listed here will work (at least, the steps, if not the parameters, sound like what I vaguely remember doing): http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

Important note: I didn't do this with my entire users directory, but instead with just my directory; e.g. I moved c:\users\moi, not c:\users. That gave me an out if things got all jacked up; I deliberately created a backup administrator account on top of the standard one and my own account just so I could un-fuck things.

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    What you want to do is move the directory, but also to create a hard link to the location where you moved the files. You can't use Explorer to move the files either, or the permissions and special directories get jacked up.

I think the procedure listed here will work (at least, the steps, if not the parameters, sound like what I vaguely remember doing): http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

Important note: I didn't do this with my entire users directory, but instead with just my directory; e.g. I moved c:\users\moi, not c:\users. That gave me an out if things got all jacked up; I deliberately created a backup administrator account on top of the standard one and my own account just so I could un-fuck things.

Yeah, that's crazy complicated. Windows 8 just has you copy and paste the directory to your location in the folders properties. Takes less than five minutes for all of your standard personal folders.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    This might help. It's short, just over three minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9xY3LU3eE

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Yeah, that's crazy complicated. Windows 8 just has you copy and paste the directory to your location in the folders properties. Takes less than five minutes for all of your standard personal folders.

Honestly, the complicated stuff was just making sure you could easily back things out.

The actual procedure is:

1) robocopy your shit
    2) remove the old directory
    3) create hard link
    4) reboot

But, well, I fuck around with computers for a living so I guess my perspective is a bit skewed. :)

• Options
    Ug!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I think at this point things are screwed up enough that I'd need to reformat my drive. I uninstalled Alpha Protocol the other day but I've done some futzing around with the My Documents folder so I'll see if I can get it working.

It might be a good idea to do a format anyway to keep things running smoothly. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know if I was able to get it working.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    This game is finally on Games on Demand. Finally Sega.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    This game is finally on Games on Demand. Finally Sega.

Will wonders never cease? Next thing you know, Sega will actually approve a patch/update!

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Next up Sega makes a deal for an Alpha Protocol sequel, localizes Yakuza Kenzan, 5 and Ishin and starts development on Shenmue 3. And then I woke up.

Achire on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This is the first time I've seen the thread on the front page in a while. Guess I'm reinstalling Alpha Protocol.

Fuck...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Achire wrote: »
    Next up Sega makes a deal for an Alpha Protocol sequel, localizes Yakuza Kenzan, 5 and Ishin and starts development on Shenmue 3. And then I woke up.

Then they let people stream their games. After that I guess the Rapture. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    This is the first time I've seen the thread on the front page in a while. Guess I'm reinstalling Alpha Protocol.

Fuck...

I'm wondering why you even uninstalled it...?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Were the game store exclusives obtainable in the game?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Were the game store exclusives obtainable in the game?

No. It was essentially DLC and you needed the code that came with the game to get them. You don't really need them to beat the game anyway (to be honest, I'm not sure which ones they even are [for the Best Buy Stealth Pack anyway]). And, of course, SEGA never bothered to release it as buyable DLC like practically every other exclusive content for every other game.

Maybe you can get lucky finding a new copy or an unused code in a used copy.

I guess I might wait for some sort of sale to get a GoD copy. Unless it's a game I expect to play all the time, anything more than five dollars for a game I still have the disc for is kind of a waste.

(Fun story! [Or not...] I bought my copy nearly six months after the included code said it expired. Worked like a charm. Sometimes I wonder why they bother with expiration dates like that.)

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Fuck...

I built a new computer earlier this year that only has a 500GB hard drive. Not enough room for every game in my library.

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Fuck...

I built a new computer earlier this year that only has a 500GB hard drive. Not enough room for every game in my library.

What is this, 2006?

• Options
    It's a solid state drive, so 2013.

• Options
    It's a solid state drive, so 2013.

SSDs are for your OS and programs!

Not for bulk data!

• Options
    SSDs are for a quiet computer that you can't hear over your keyboard. I have no DVD drive either because fuck that, it's 2013. Everything is fast on it, and I have no spindle noise. Net win.

I just uninstall games when I'm done with them.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I guess if you're going for a silent PC and have a super-quiet cpu fan, heatsink fan, and power supply...

My moderately-quiet PC's case fans are louder than the hard drives, and the fans I paid extra for the quiet ones.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I wouldn't want my backup to be an SSD at all.

I'm rocking one SSD for my OS, one SSD for my other games, one HDD for movies, photos, music, and other shit, and one backup external hard-drive.

The backup is the only thing loud about my computer, but only when it's backing up.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    For your espionage needs Incognita released on Steam early access.

http://www.incognitagame.com

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Alpha Protocol is in the HumbleBundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Man I loved playing this game.

• Options
    C2B wrote: »
    For your espionage needs Incognita released on Steam early access.

http://www.incognitagame.com

Is Chris gonna get involved with Klei in that project?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    So I did a thing.. I just told steam to download Alpha Protocol. I don't know why, but I have only ever played through it once, back shortly after release, and.. well that seemed fun to play it again.

Pistols and Stealth still the way to go?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    So I did a thing.. I just told steam to download Alpha Protocol. I don't know why, but I have only ever played through it once, back shortly after release, and.. well that seemed fun to play it again.

With a bit of Martial Arts thrown in. But yeah, Chain Shot still rules everything.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Unless you want to engage with the combat portions of the game then Stealth and Pistols are still clearly the way to go.

The key thing is to pick a persona to role-play and stick to that persona. Inhabit the role. Don't try and game the system, the most rewarding way to play is to stick to your personality and be amazed at how the conversations adapt to you.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    And enough of the...tech tree? To get the ability to use ECMs to skip minigames, and maybe unlock brilliance to make chain shot even sillier. Not sure if those were 2 separate trees, but it's only a few points in either anyway

steam_sig.png