As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    "I used to be a member of Al-Samad like you but then I took a punch to the throat." :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    And completed. Looking at steam history it looks like once again beating the game took me exactly 15 hours (I now have 30 hours played) so that's kinda funny.

Man did I do things differently than I remember last time. I played a very professional Agent Thornton. By the end of the game I was friends with every major organization/leader and had relations with both Mina and Scarlet (I guess I could have with Sie as well but I chose albatross as my handler) and basically hadn't killed anybody and EVERYONE in the game was on my side. Sided with Leland and sadly had to kill Mina, which was not my original intention. At the very end I betrayed Leland and took over the world, sadly apparently Scarlet disappeared :(

Wasn't quite the ending I was originally going for but things just kinda ended up leading that way!

edit - just looked up Scarlet, I have no freaking idea how I missed her in the last mission, pretty sure I went everywhere :\

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, first time I played I missed her there, too.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    I need to play the game with SIE as my handler.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I wonder where she is as I get that is now twice that I've missed her.

I doubt I'll play the game a 3rd time so I ended up looking at all the endings, etc, on the wiki. Man I wonder how they could have ever made a sequel with all the permutations that the game can end with. Also, I really want to know what their early sequel ideas were!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Scarlet shows up based on your relationship with her (it has to be Friendly or higher, I believe) and your relationships with others, and you have to take the proper handler into the last mission for her to show up. Edit: And you have to be fighting the right end boss.

Like a bunch of other things, she's nested pretty deep. Every time I play this game, I see something new. And I'm up past a dozen playthroughs I think.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You find Scarlet...
    ...in the room opposite from where Mina is. It leads you into the interrogation room you spent dealing with Leland (and where you met Westridge for the first time) and she's in there doing...her thing.

Whether you save Mina or not, going through the doors that lead to the rest of the mission cuts off that area forever. The different permutations of Scarlett in the end are dependent on too many things to list here. However, enter that room and you can switch to her as your 'handler'. This is the only way you can leave the island with her (depending on so many other actions you do or don't take, etc.)

You may have missed it mainly because where she is requires a high tech or lock pick skill (whichever) or at least an EMP. You probably skipped it because you weren't skilled enough to get in.

• Options
    Also (not Scarlet related);
    You don't have to kill Mina to align with Leland. Or to, in my personal favorite ending, unexpectedly but inevitably betray him on the docks.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    lol oh I was rated high enough
    sadly I guess I just missed it after the Mina situation unfolded in a way I did not plan :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    HuddsHudds Fool Just Outside TimeRegistered User regular
    I love that this game constantly unfolds in ways you do not plan.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I doubt I'll play the game a 3rd time so I ended up looking at all the endings, etc, on the wiki. Man I wonder how they could have ever made a sequel with all the permutations that the game can end with. Also, I really want to know what their early sequel ideas were!

They could have picked one ending as the "canon" ending. Or it could have just been another Alpha Protocol game with almost entirely new characters.

And Heck.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They could have picked one ending as the "canon" ending. Or it could have just been another Alpha Protocol game with almost entirely new characters.

And Heck.

Yes, and have Heck talk about that "rookie spy he helped" aka Thorton all the time, always bringing up stories of his and Thorton's "ops" in the first game, which are taking as the rantings of a crazy man since they often contradict each other.

Only, they all did happen in the first AP... Just not in same playthrough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

And Heck.

Yes, and have Heck talk about that "rookie spy he helped" aka Thorton all the time, always bringing up stories of his and Thorton's "ops" in the first game, which are taking as the rantings of a crazy man since they often contradict each other.

"Yeah, so me an' Thorton went through that place with shotguns and just messed people up left and right. Saved all of mainland China while we were at it!"
    "I thought you said he was a ghost who was karate-chopping people through walls before they even noticed him."
    "He was that, too. Pass the bleach."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options

And Heck.

Mantarok!

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

And Heck.

"Yeah, so me an' Thorton went through that place with shotguns and just messed people up left and right. Saved all of mainland China while we were at it!"
    "I thought you said he was a ghost who was karate-chopping people through walls before they even noticed him."
    "He was that, too. Pass the bleach."

"Here you go. I'll get a funnel."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah, in a hypothetical AP sequel, Heck would be ideal as a bridge gapper. Cause he could make up anything and be both truthful and insane.

Cause kinda both...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Sega can burn in hell for not giving the go ahead for a sequel.

Obsidian can burn in hell for not making a sequel and telling sega to piss off. :disappointed:

• Options
    A sequel could do the thing from KotOR2, with Heck throwing out a bunch of crazy shit and you correcting him to put together a timeline.

Then, at the end you could
    punch him in the throat for fucking you over in Taipei.

• Options
    While I agree with the sentiment, I'd rather not have Obsidian be sued to death.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    "The Omega Directive: A Completely Non-Related Espionage RPG" starring Mikhail Thornton.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    "The Burn Notice: A Completely Non-Related Espionage RPG" starring Michael Westen.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    "The Burn Notice: A Completely Non-Related Espionage RPG" starring Michael Westen.

Get the rights from USA! How much could they want for it?

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    lodgerlodger Humble Narrator Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

(SNIP)
    There is one I can think of that does, perhaps its just personal preference... and thinking about it makes me want to play it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkVNbOejKc4

The diversity of the gameplay is nuts. You can be the hero, you can be the villain, you can be arena champion, you can join a band and become famous. And they all had different endings! I still don't see a lot of games that starts you off going 'who are you?', and you literally get to decide. 'Well, I don't wanna fight, I wanna play the guitar.' It lets you do that.

Man, I love that relaxing non-linear adventure so dang much.

It really does have so much to do, and so much latitude for defining your character and his story. And lots of distinctive mechanics for the minigames: billiards, stock and commodities trading, archaeology, photo collecting, taxi service, and ten distinct musical instruments.

It's truly one of the most likable and charming games I've ever played.

• Options
    MCA on Alpha Protocol: http://duckfeed.tv/woff/74e

Previous episode on AP: http://duckfeed.tv/woff/74

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to listen to that later.

What's the difference between he first and second link?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    MCA

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Second link they are discussing AP. First link has Avellone in it.

I just started listening.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Suave Mike vs Marburg is actually Archer vs Marburg.

"You know what's dangerous, your obsession with me. Seriously Marburg, call Kenny Loggins 'cause you are in the Danger Zone. From Top Gun."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3-zaTr6OUo

Now I have a excuse to try it. :D

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MCA on Alpha Protocol: http://duckfeed.tv/woff/74e

Previous episode on AP: http://duckfeed.tv/woff/74
    Never heard of this podcast before but I thoroughly enjoyed these episodes, thanks! :D

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Oh lord! Taunting Marburg into fighting in Greece is one of the most epic video game moments in my life.

The shit talk that comes out of Mike's mouth is Just. So. Fucking. Amazing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Italy.

Rome.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Italy.

Rome.

Yes, Rome is in Italy. Greece is a country which is neither in Italy, nor does it contain Rome

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Look, whatever

Mike Thorton doesn't need to know where he is, only where the bullets need to go

• Options
    Game has a 67% discount on XBL.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    There's times when I love this game dearly, and then there's times like this playthrough, where I emptied a pistol into a guard less then ten feet away and missed every shot.

As a veteran.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Where did you buy that gun? Heck?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    There's a espionage rpg/card game hybrid named Sienna Storm on Kickstarter with ex-Obsidianitie Tony Evans (KOTORII, NWN2 + MOTB, Wasteland 2 / Never worked on AP though) on it and Chris Avellone as a stretch goal.

Also Alexander Brandon as stretch goal audio director.

Might wanna check that out.

C2B on
  • Options
    MCA, the human stretch goal.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    There's one thing i really dislike about this game
    The gear is so expensive.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491