As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer40K MMO]Apparently no longer an MMO; inquire within (Page 13).

CorehealerCorehealer The ApothecaryThe softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
Welcome to more speculation for the speculation God, also known as the Warhammer 40K MMO thread.

40k(REPLACEMENT)-20-08-10.jpg

E3 Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt5e2OX9FUk

OP shamelessly stolen from Wishpig and modified with updated info from E3:

ultramarine_terminator_20100313_1400622953.jpg
Virgil Games the masterminds behind Darksides are currently slaving over 40k's first MMO. As they put it...

quote:
Warhammer 40,000 is one of the most eagerly anticipated MMOs on the horizon. As long time fans of Warhammer 40,000, we're pulling out all the stops to deliver a game that will plunge players deep into this incredibly rich universe.

We’ll be announcing more about the game in the months to come, so stay tuned.

True, we know very very little about the game at this point, but the game is planned to be fully revealed at this years E3. To be exact, sometime between June 15th to June 17th. Right around the corner.

We do know some key aspects of the game though...
Planned release in 2012
Will be released in North America, Europe, and Asia
Interesting take on their payment plan. America and Europe will be traditionally handled with a monthly fee, but Asia's payment will be based on micro-transactions. Quite clever Virgil.
All major Warhammer 40k races will be represented, from 'nids to those damn wussy elves with guns!
Will be an RPG and and not a FPS. I suspect many will be unhappy about this.
Despite not being FPS based, cover will play a very important role. I imagine like the smuggler in Old Republic.
Flanking and suppression will also be major components. Sounds like some inspiration from DoW2.
non-violent activities will be present.
The role of vehicles is unknown, but it sounds lke Virgil is well aware of their importance!
As far as customization goes We are going to have the coolest looking characters of any MMO, ever" - Joel Madureira
Will take place well after Horus Heresy, in a time frame similar to current 40k lore.

Visually all we did have is some sexy concept art... and here it is, so enjoy!

A lovely piece of scenery, ruined/improved by a damned ork's hunk of junk.

ork_warship_concept_20100310_1001352323.jpg

An Ultramarine... safe to assume Space Marines will be a playible race. I would bet my soul on it. (It has been confirmed that SMs, specifically Black Templars, will be playable in the game along with IG and AM.)

ultramarine_20100313_1087675589.jpg

A nifty imperial titan. :P

imperial_titan_20100313_2081221104.jpg

Yet another Ork warship! Based on the concept art, it really does seem like vehicles are getting love!

ork_warship_20100313_1448529937.jpg

Thanks to Warhammer 40k MMO source for collecting all the great info.

Video Compilation (mostly E3 stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvYxiMOWTYM - Race Faction E3 Interview.
Useful links:
http://www.40ksource.net/
http://www.massively.com/2010/06/17/e3-2010-interview-with-warhammer-40ks-mark-downie/

More will be added to this OP in the future, I mainly wanted to get our riveting fluff discussions back on track. Get to it, ya gits!

488W936.png
Corehealer on

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    one of my dreams was always to start an imp guard army from a world that is almost entirely 1 giant plain and the normal guardsmen were going to be kasrkin and using lots and lots of sentinels.

unfortunately the cost would have been ridiculous and I am too lazy to build/paint another mob army

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    haha dident see that interview damn what a good friggin interviewer haha those guys are going to get death threats

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    one of my dreams was always to start an imp guard army from a world that is almost entirely 1 giant plain and the normal guardsmen were going to be kasrkin and using lots and lots of sentinels.

unfortunately the cost would have been ridiculous and I am too lazy to build/paint another mob army

That would have been an excellent IG army.

I always liked the idea of doing specialized Gue'vesa for a Tau army mixing Tau and IG assets, and making them hardened human veterans respected by the Tau on a level of the Kroot and Vespid, and hated by the Imperium.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This thread needs more dakka...

L Ron Howard on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This thread needs more dakka...

Yes it does, and i'll get on it when I have time tomorrow.

Can't give it too much dakka right now anyways since there isn't much beyond E3 stuff to go on.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Use some DoW 2 material.

Hey, it worked for Vigil 8-)

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Use some DoW 2 material.

Hey, it worked for Vigil 8-)

Hah, good idea.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    DoW2 dakka?

dow2.jpg

L Ron Howard on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually, after reading the website interview, I have higher hopes for this game.

They plan to release it at the end of first quarter 2013!

A little under three something years then, and then they've been in production on it for several years prior to the reveal.
    As long as I can play a big chested Howling Banshee/Farseer, I'm sold. :winky:

Evil Weevil on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DoW2 dakka?

dow2.jpg

Man, I have everything up as high as possible and it doesn't look that shiny :(

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah i enjoy how their actually addressing the issue of fucking it up as a serious one. I mean honestly if its just a WoW clone with perfect 40k lore i'll still fucking play the shit out of it. The lore is what makes the entire game.

Arghy on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Perfect 40k lore...

WoW clone...

Does not compute! Can not happen! Really, it just can't.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This very well could be the first MMO I pay to play for more than one month. I may even get on on the ground floor if the beta reviews are good.

Especially if you can play Chaos.

And ESPECIALLY if you can play Necrons.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bet one hundred internet dollars on the fact that we'll just get Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar and Orks at first. Maybe, maybe replace eldar with IG.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited September 2010
    Tyranids and Necrons will be expansion material. Maybe the Tau too.
    At least that's where I'd place my wager.

L Ron Howard on
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess that footage in the trailers is only gameplay footage insomuch as it was rendered in-engine. When 2013 rolls around SW:TOR will have been out for 2 years, and thats if they don't have any delays. Game looks nice enough in 2010, hopefully it can hold up for another 3 years.

Its nice to know that the game is still planned for release, but I'm not even sure I'll be in the MMO market when it's finished.

nonoffensive on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tyranids and Necrons will be expansion material. Maybe the Tau too.
    At least that's where I'd place my wager.

I think the Tau would be far more likely to be in the initial release than the Tyranids.

In fact, the more I think about it the more I think it unlikely that Necrons and Tyranids will be PC races. They're kind of hive-mind races with little differentiation between one another.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The tyranid player is actually a portion of the hivemind rather than the specific creature his avatar is representing and can thus move around as however he wants

Alternatively, NEW BREED OF INDEPENDENT TYRANID unique to whatever splinter hive fleet they use in the game.

Also all Necrons would be the few who retained a sense of self

throw in some technobabble and a few new lines of lore and you got yourself an explanation for including Necrons and Tyranid as playable races

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Independent Tyranid? As in no need for synapse?

So a faction that only consist of Genestealers, Zoanthropes, Warriors, and Hive Tyrants?

I'd play em.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited September 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    The tyranid player is actually a portion of the hivemind rather than the specific creature his avatar is representing and can thus move around as however he wants

Alternatively, NEW BREED OF INDEPENDENT TYRANID unique to whatever splinter hive fleet they use in the game.

Also all Necrons would be the few who retained a sense of self

throw in some technobabble and a few new lines of lore and you got yourself an explanation for including Necrons and Tyranid as playable races

I like the cut of your jib, cap'n.

Descendant X on
    edited September 2010
    Independent Tyranid? As in no need for synapse?

So a faction that only consist of Genestealers, Zoanthropes, Warriors, and Hive Tyrants?

I'd play em.

Don't monstrous creatures also ignore synapse?

Playing a Carnifex would be pretty sweet.

-Loki- on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what are they doing about the factional divide

since it's every man/alien/ravenous horror from the nightmares of hieronymous bosch for himself wouldn't that splinter the playerbase to an irrecoverable level

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Probably do a 'good vs evil' thing. The races that can be classed as good on one side, the races classed as evil on the other side.

Though that technically means it'll probably be the Imperium, Eldar, maybe Tau, vs everyone else.

Or just not have many playable races. They said all major races would be represented, not playable.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    With the evil factions, such as Orks and Chaos Space Marines, there'd really be no problem with inter-factional fighting or even outright hostility within groups. There's nothing in the fluff stating that Thousand Sons and Emperor's Children get along like best friends. Indeed, Kharn the Betrayer will kill anything living in his vicinity if the mood suits him.

With the good factions they could always have PVP in a sort of arena or training facility.

Descendant X on
  • Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fighting alongside.. Eldar.. Tau... XENO'S?! *Froths*

Blinks77 on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah from that interview the devs know that teaming up races is a stupid idea so its most likely never going to happen. I wouldent be surprised if it was more player race based rather then faction based--you can have an eldar friend when your imperial but you just cant do the imperial missions with your eldar friend. Prolly going to throw in some aura/buff type systems where you get a bonus with a full race load out and get penalized for a mixed race loadout.

Arghy on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It'd be cool if there were some classes that just can't team up with other races.

Like a Commissar for example.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the easiest way to handle it would be to break down race relations by planet. For instance on Omikron Persei 8 the Imperial guard and some eldar are fighting a hopeless defensive battle against a mighty ork WAAAGH! On Thranador 9 however the imperial guard are trying to blow up an ancient temple, while eldar struggle to protect a waygate hidden beneath its surface, all while a marauding Chaos horde prepares to descend upon the temple and summon something unholy.

Everyone seems to love the "three factions maintain balance!" idea, they could just vary which is the three factions based on which planet you are fighting on.

Detharin on
    edited September 2010
    To be fair, Imperial Guard and Tau have teamed up before when they're not trying to melt each others faces off with lascannon fire.

Descendant X on
  • HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just hope after killing Khorne that there is a rainbow star pony rare drop... I really want my giant pink bubble space marine to be able to ride his rainbow star pony with my Eldar friends through whatever passes for the inquisitor headquarters.

Hyku on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote:
    It'd be cool if there were some classes that just can't team up with other races.

Well in theory they could team up it'd just be a tragically short team up.

ie.)

Eldar Player: "Hey man, before we head into this instance let me just afk for a sec to grab a drink."

Commisar: "Cowardice in the face of the enemy will not be tolerated!" *BLAM* ..............."Damnit, not again!"

Operative21 on
    edited September 2010
    Here's hoping for friendly fire!

L Ron Howard on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote:

Well in theory they could team up it'd just be a tragically short team up.

ie.)

Eldar Player: "Hey man, before we head into this instance let me just afk for a sec to grab a drink."

Commisar: "Cowardice in the face of the enemy will not be tolerated!" *BLAM* ..............."Damnit, not again!"
    Unless you are Ciaphias Cain. HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I suppose it's a given there will be factions. I just hope they have three instead of two.

Maybe SM & IG vs. Tau & Eldar vs. Chaos & Orks? Or something along those lines since we don't exactly know what the starting races will be. As a former DAoC player I just do not enjoy the generic "Good vs. Evil" that other games seem to love so much.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited September 2010
    I'm betting Imperium/orks/eldar/chaos with here being 1 class in each with 3-4 class choices. You start off a IG then as you get higher you have a choice of becoming a tech priest/better IG or being reborn as a SM. I could easily see eldar as guardian then heading up to become one of the exarchs.

Arghy on
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It wouldn't be good and evil, it'd be the blind followers of some dead corpse vs the not dumb as bricks portions of the universe (vs the eldar, unless they happen to be on your side today). That's the nice thing about the 40K universe, the "good guys" are raging lunatics and the "bad guys" could very easily be correct.

Beyond that though, I just don't see them doing 2 sides. It doesn't fit the universe and 3 factions seems to work out better for large scale pvp. I'm not sure that splitting it into 3 factions fits the universe much better, but if its a case of alliances shifting by planet or system or what have you then that would probably be about right and doesn't require nearly as much in the way of content as doing every race for itself.

Syrdon on
    edited September 2010
    See we are just all to used to the whole '2 factions' that WoW did--remember EQ? yeah you started out a free lance not belonging to any faction. I dont see why they cant do you create your char which is the same class as everyone else then you have a choice of joining a faction and you choose your class as you level.

Throw in a aura system that pretty much makes or breaks your char so if you honestly really wanted to make a ork/eldar/imperial/chaos guild you could but your groups would be shit compared to the all ork guild or the all chaos guild. Besides the worlds going to end before this comes out in 2013.

Arghy on
    edited September 2010
    How does a human transform into an ork? Or Necron? or Tau?

L Ron Howard on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why is this being argued?

Its order versus destruction. They put it on the website. Thats that.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited September 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    See we are just all to used to the whole '2 factions' that WoW did--remember EQ? yeah you started out a free lance not belonging to any faction. I dont see why they cant do you create your char which is the same class as everyone else then you have a choice of joining a faction and you choose your class as you level.

While this is a reasonable idea, I cannot think of anything more boring than having to grind levels until you reach the prerequisites for whatever class you want to play.

- Cue excited player taking to his guildmates:

"Only four more levels until I get to join the Ultramarines as a Scout! Then after that, I just have to complete four successful PvP raids and gain five more levels until I become a full Space Ma-" *splat*

- The now very pissed off player runs back to his body after being viscously killed by a Kroot. He loses 1000XP as a cost of resurrection.

Descendant X on
This discussion has been closed.