As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What is people's opinion of Sacred?

For reference: I'm just finishing off Divine Divinity, and while it was worth the small amount I paid for it, I was disappointed at the slapdash plot and the fact that there didn't seem to be a lot of meaningful character options.

Sacred 2 off one of the other download services is also a possibility, but it's a lot more money.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sacred 2 has issues due to parallel console development from what I've heard.

And if those were your problems with Divine Divinity, then Sacred isn't the cure. It is pretty neat though, with a large open world, lots of quests and shit drops loot like mad. Plus you can play a Dwarf who has a big ol' blunderbuss and goggles.

Drake on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So.

What's Zork like then? As completely and totally boring and complex as Myst, or worth a shot?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Depends on which one you're talking about. Zork is a text-based game, so not really like Myst.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think Zork holds up very well anymore. It's still a landmark game, but I wouldn't play it for anything other than nostalgia at this point. Nothing against IF, there are some tremendous IF games out there, just that Zork itself is primitive.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, some solutions in the Zork games are are just obtuse.

It's one of those things I have fond memories of that are probably much better than the actual experience.

Drake on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If GOG releases A Mind Forever Voyaging or Lurking Horror I will buy them.
    Again.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sure wish I could finish Gloria's level in Psychonauts without the game going pear shaped.

I managed to suffer through with 1fps up until the boss fight, but I just cant deal with it with him.

so I went to play a game with Napoleon instead.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh joy, Zork Nemesis is out. That means that Zork Grand Iquisitor must be forthcoming.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nemesis didn't really get a fair shake when it came out, since it was such a massive stylistic divergence from the rest of the Zork series. It's not bad for a Myst-inspired first-person mid-90s adventure game, though it still pales in comparison to Grand Inquisitor.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Weekend deal - 40% off these titles:

Commandos 2+3
    Commandos Ammo Pack
    Constructor
    Creatures Exodus
    Creatures Village
    Creatures: The Albian Years
    Expendable
    Imperial Glory
    Incoming + Incoming Forces
    Mob Rule
    Patrician 1+2
    Port Royale
    Praetorians
    Tropico Reloaded

Catshade on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Creatures games I've never heard of? What black magic is this?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    seabass wrote: »
    Creatures games I've never heard of? What black magic is this?

Those games are actually compilations of several titles. From their respective game page:
    Creatures: The Albian Years is a compilation of Creatures 1 with both Life Kits, Creatures 2 with its Life Kit and 6 Official Object Packs

Creatures Exodus is a recompilation of Creatures 3 and Docking Station

Creatures Village is a compilation of Creatures Adventures and Creatures Playground

Catshade on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Commandos is really good. Anyone without it should get it. 3 isn't as good, but 1 and 2 are perfect.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love the Anno games and Settlers, but I'm not very good with them. Just mediocre.
    what other games are like them and aren't complex like EU3?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I love the Anno games and Settlers, but I'm not very good with them. Just mediocre.
    what other games are like them and aren't complex like EU3?

If you like the trading aspect of those games, there are Port Royale and Patrician 1+2 from this weekend's deal.

Alien Nations and The Nations (which is Alien Nations 2) are also good Settlers clones, though its cartoonish art style can be a turn-off for some.

Catshade on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Catshade on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I never have finished MM7. I love it, and have tried several times, but I always end up getting distracted by something else.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    MM 7 is a cool game; definitely a bit less chaotic than 6. It also has a few neat side mechanics, like owning a castle and choosing between heaven and hell at some point in the story.

And, like 6, great music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVqbnGWqf6c

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And you can win a real sword and shield. A...GoG-branded shield. Also $150 in games.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bet the sword is the only thing that can kill Gabe Newell. First, though, you must defeat him, and his giant knife collection means that it won't be easy...
    Luckily he's a fatass.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bet the sword is the only thing that can kill Gabe Newell. First, though, you must defeat him, and his giant knife collection means that it won't be easy...
    Luckily he's a fatass.

Luckily?

You haven't played many beat-em-ups, have you?

Fat people are nearly immune to conventional attacks.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is no conventional attack, though. It is the arms of GoG.com.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Weekend deal - 40% off these titles:

Beyond Divinity
    Divine Divinity
    Feeble Files, The
    Personal Nightmare
    Simon the Sorcerer
    Simon the Sorcerer 2
    Simon the Sorcerer 3D
    Waxworks

Catshade on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay, MM7! :D Arcomage awaits...

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Waxworks seems like a cool game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqRgDkWXA0

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    New release: Battle Isle Platinum
    Contains full versions of the following strategy games in one package:
    •Battle Isle 1 including Data Disk 1 & Battle Isle ‘93 & Historyline: 1914-1918
    •Battle Isle 2 including Scenery CD “Titan’s Legacy”
    •Battle Isle 3 along with extensive video sequences
    •Incubation and the wilderness missions,

Catshade on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved Incubation back in the day.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Me too! I might even have my CD around somewhere. I don't think I was very good at it, though.

Are the other games in the bundle good? $10 would be a bit steep for just Incubation.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Iolo wrote: »

Me too! I might even have my CD around somewhere. I don't think I was very good at it, though.

Are the other games in the bundle good? $10 would be a bit steep for just Incubation.

It's been a very long time, so my memory might be playing up, but I do seem to recall them being excellent. They're very much in a similar style to Nectaris.

mattclem on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Catshade wrote: »
    New release: Battle Isle Platinum
    Contains full versions of the following strategy games in one package:
    •Battle Isle 1 including Data Disk 1 & Battle Isle ‘93 & Historyline: 1914-1918
    •Battle Isle 2 including Scenery CD “Titan’s Legacy”
    •Battle Isle 3 along with extensive video sequences
    •Incubation and the wilderness missions,

Man I have fond memories of Battle Isle 2!

I really think that series is ripe for a return in all its hex based, turn based glory. Sure it'd have to be a budget title, but I'm almost certain the gameplay in those games stands up even today.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Incubation was a cool game, but hard as fucking shit. I could never get more than a couple of levels in. I guess it was basically a puzzle game at its core.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    I really think that series is ripe for a return in all its hex based, turn based glory. Sure it'd have to be a budget title, but I'm almost certain the gameplay in those games stands up even today.

I'd suggest it'd fit well on the DS, actually. Although then it might get compared unfavourably to Advance Wars.

mattclem on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mattclem wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    It's been a very long time, so my memory might be playing up, but I do seem to recall them being excellent. They're very much in a similar style to Nectaris.
    Not surprising, the Battle Isle series was a direct rip-off of (the original) Nectaris. So much so that I'm told some of the levels in the original game were exact copies.
    Which is funny, since BI is pretty well known and fuck-all know about Nectaris. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Incubation was a cool game, but hard as fucking shit. I could never get more than a couple of levels in. I guess it was basically a puzzle game at its core.

The vanilla campaign was fine. The expansion disc was brutal. I mean poke-puppy-in-eye-with-stick brutal times one hundred.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

The vanilla campaign was fine. The expansion disc was brutal. I mean poke-puppy-in-eye-with-stick brutal times one hundred.

I never played the expansion (though I have it around here somewhere). The base game was tough at times, but nothing too bad. It's a great game if you enjoy the combat in X-COM. I believe you could customize your marines somewhat, too. It was fun once you had jetpacks just plopping down behind an enemy and opening up on him.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So GoG is having a pretty nifty sale on Atari games right now. I'm thinking about grabbing I-War 2 so I don't have to deal with my disk copy. I already have everything else on it except for Alone in the Dark and Blood 2. Don't know too much about Alone in the Dark, and Blood 2 has a horrible reputation. Everything else in the sale is fabulous.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Huh, I never noticed they got I-War 2 on there. Kind of want to play that again. I don't suppose the GoG version has built in key customization, though? I seem to recall it requiring a lot of .ini jiggering.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It would be awesome if they did. Somehow I doubt it though.

I feel your pain, because I have to have lateral thrust mapped to my tophat.

Drake on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Huh, I never noticed they got I-War 2 on there. Kind of want to play that again. I don't suppose the GoG version has built in key customization, though? I seem to recall it requiring a lot of .ini jiggering.

It doesn't no. There's a config tool out there on the Net that can help you customize it a bit easier, but that's it.

WMain00 on