As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] Thread II : the hideous offspring of every game you love.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    "I see you, rider of Death. You offer so little."

"I have an offer in mind."

"What offer could possibly convince me to hand over the Scythe of a Thousand Skulls?"

"I will return 20 Cuccos to your pen."

win.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arkyris wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the feeling that Death is going to somehow give man a future beyond the Apocalypse? I got that feeling from the first trailer during the part when he was talking about some deal. But that second trailer kinda alludes to it bit more.

Well as I understand it, Death is travelling to the Abyss to restore mankind somehow. He is going to...reverse reap us.

Or that's his intention anyway. Possibly as a bargaining chip with the Charred Council to NOT off War, Death is going to save mankind which was wrongfully obliterated as part of putting things back in balance.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, seeing as how the world is still a dump and everyone's still dead when War comes back in DS, I'm guessing it's not so simple.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Catalase wrote: »
    Well, seeing as how the world is still a dump and everyone's still dead when War comes back in DS, I'm guessing it's not so simple.

They could start repopulating things somewhere in Africa, Adam and Eve style.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    reVerse wrote: »

They could start repopulating things somewhere in Africa, Adam and Eve style.

Or Missouri.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maybe Darksiders 3 will be chronologically set between this 2 and 1, and whichever Horseman you play screws up and kills mankind all over again.

Catalase on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe Darksiders 3 will be chronologically set between this 2 and 1, and whichever Horseman you play screws up and kills mankind all over again.

Probably the gun totting one. He looks like a douche.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

War sees how much of the world though? One large city's worth? I know part of that is game design limitations but it also leaves lots of room for other things happening elsewhere.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now I thought the other horsemen were locked away until the seals were broken save, obviously, for War who got tricked. How the heck are the gonna justify Death being up and about?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Adda wrote: »
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Amazon has the original for $20. I'll have to see if I can budget that next payday.

I will admit, I missed out on it completely at release because it dropped day and date with Bayonetta. And I was wholly obsessed with Bayonetta.

If you can budget in a warhammer 40k:space marine pre order on steam then you can get darksiders for free with it.

If you have realtek HD audio, I don't recommend getting DS1 on PC, it will likely crash every few minutes. Its a pretty huge problem the devs never even bothered addressing.

Morkath on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Now I thought the other horsemen were locked away until the seals were broken save, obviously, for War who got tricked. How the heck are the gonna justify Death being up and about?

Seals or not, it is the apocalypse. Something like that doesn't happen without people noticing.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    Final_BossFinal_Boss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Super super excited about this. I keep checking my email every 15mins in the hopes my digital copy of GI has arrived so I can see more.
    DS1 was one of my favorite games of last year, hell it's probably one of my favorites in the last five...

Final_Boss on
    360 & Steam: InfinityPrime
    PSN: Infinity_Prime
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Well...
    You could be straight up lied to about that. I mean
    when you see the other three riders coming at the end of the game, you're not given any information about where they've been, if they've even been together, or what they've been up to. The Council tells you that they're "locked up" but that could mean anything, and the Council is a bunch of lying sacks of shit. It isn't explained where War was prior to the start of the game. Was he in limbo? Some other plane? Who knows? It stands to reason that the other horsemen are also somewhere during the period of the game. It doesn't make sense given how the seals were explained in the game, that only War was released. It could be that just War was released to Earth and the others went elsewhere.

Darksiders 2 is said to take place in the Abyss, but it doesn't say when. Keep in mind there's a large gap of time between the introduction area of Darksiders (i.e. the Apocalypse) and the game proper. It's been awhile but iirc it was like 2 centuries had past between then while you had been imprisoned. That's a lot of time to play with for the other games. There's a lot of shit that had to have gone down between the actual apocalypse and the state of the world as we see it in the game. The other horsemens stories probably take place during this time. And likely all have connect-the-dots stories that all lead into how they will fix the universe in a final game.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A single century, not two. Still, 100 years is plenty of breathing room.

(I started a new game on Apocalyptic today.)

Houn on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't see the raven

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't see the raven

1-166.jpg

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No, the other raven, where is it?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Amazon has the original for $20. I'll have to see if I can budget that next payday.

I will admit, I missed out on it completely at release because it dropped day and date with Bayonetta. And I was wholly obsessed with Bayonetta.

If you can budget in a warhammer 40k:space marine pre order on steam then you can get darksiders for free with it.

If you have realtek HD audio, I don't recommend getting DS1 on PC, it will likely crash every few minutes. Its a pretty huge problem the devs never even bothered addressing.

It's the same problem as with Mass Effect 1. Just make sure your virtual memory is set to <512 and you'll run fine. (Besides, in this day and age, who needs a massive amount of Virtual Memory anyway?)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't see the raven in the trailers, hope it's still part of the combat. Pet mechanics!

Alegis on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe the raven will be Death's version of The Watcher.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finally got back into this the other day after the announcement of 2. I bought it day one with Bayonetta so it never got a fair shake. I got too addicted to that sadly and this got pushed away. I was at the ..Spider...temple place I guess. Now I'm in some Tower I think. I'm getting through it and I will beat it!! Yes!

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Perhaps I'll attempt a run on the hardest difficulty sometime down the road now that the second one has been announced. I'm missing a few achievements anyway.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    A single century, not two. Still, 100 years is plenty of breathing room.

(I started a new game on Apocalyptic today.)

I recommend not play Apocalyptic.

All the weapons seem to be crafted from Styrofoam in this mode.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My one playthrough was on apocalyptic. Even though there were sections where I died a bunch, I thought it was fine.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The difficulty of the original is out of whack with the Abyssal Armour. I think Apocalyptic with Abyssal Armour was easier than my normal runthrough without it. Just took more time to kill things. :?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Man, that would suck. He would just be saying the same thing over and over again.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    The difficulty of the original is out of whack with the Abyssal Armour. I think Apocalyptic with Abyssal Armour was easier than my normal runthrough without it. Just took more time to kill things. :?

I mostly agree with this, but it doesn't seem to take any more time than before, although it's been a long while since I played through on Normal so my memory could be off. At any rate, I've already beaten the first dungeon, and it hasn't really felt all that difficult or time consuming.

Perhaps I am simply awesome. That may be it.

Houn on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chance wrote: »

ah, I was thinking they were talking about the pic in the OP - carry on!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HenryVape wrote: »

Man, that would suck. He would just be saying the same thing over and over again.

<3

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I put this game aside a while ago when I realized that the penultimate chapter of the game was a fetch quest...

came back to it, got what I needed to quickly, picked up death's weapon enhancement and the last piece of abyssal armor I had been missing (pure luck, I looked at a list and had no idea which pieces I had already gotten but the first one I checked was the one). Think I missed fury's weapon enhancement though.

End game was pretty good. I already knew the ending but actually seeing it felt a bit more significant than hearing about it. Last fight was pretty good, even if it was just a suped up version of a previous fight.

Now I can appropriately begin the hype

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JonBob wrote: »

<3

Jersey Shore?
    1249830283_BNzAT-L.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So hey, this game is pretty good. One minute I'm playing DMC, then I'm playing Panzer Dragoon, now I'm playing Zelda. Wat.

Only just now installed and started playing, been sitting in my steam backlog a while. Any tips as I progress through? Trying not to read the thread too much as it's kinda spoilery.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Don't waste time leveling up your sword; I mean, you're using it, so it will level, but don't just sit around grinding on enemies specifically to level it. By the time you'd want it maxed out, it'll get maxed out.

Houn on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Learn to use the block counter if you can. Once you've brought the two upgrades for it, it becomes obscenely powerful.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Buy a full health potion (shard?) ASAP and just sit on it. You won't need it for 99% of the game, but there is a bit right near the end where many people (including myself) got save stuck into a tough fight with no chance to recover the health you most likely just lost in a mini-boss battle.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    Don't waste time leveling up your sword; I mean, you're using it, so it will level, but don't just sit around grinding on enemies specifically to level it. By the time you'd want it maxed out, it'll get maxed out.

On this note, at some point in the story your sword will automatically become maxed out. So if you want to max out all the weapons you're better off using the scythe for the extra souls. If you don't want to max out everything, just use whatever style you feel most comfortable with.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I finished the game without maxing any of them. The completionist in me will probably make me go back to do it all, but not right now. ;-)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    crap my sword was the only one maxed out... my lv 2 scythe and lv 1 gauntlets feel sad now.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also you should max out the other weapons if for no other reason than to learn how to use them properly.

You can go through the game just spamming x and swinging your sword, not doing anything interesting or fun; but that is boring. People bitched about that when the game came out and many folks were all "uh...you do you know you can do other things right?. You don't have to, but you can make combat as fun as you want. The Scythe is great in enemy heavy areas once you get some of the abilities for it, the gauntlet is amazing in areas where you're fighting on ledges; as you can just punch the enemies asses into the air and they die. It's extremely satisfying.

If you simply want to max out the weapons xp and nothing else however, there's guides to help you do that. Virtually all of them involve a certain room full of tiny spiders that you can just abuse and do it. It actually doesn't take long at all honestly.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2011

Maybe it'll be his crossblade...flies out, hits what you targeted.

Catalase on