As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] Thread II : the hideous offspring of every game you love.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He really likes skulls.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome.

Workin dem double scythes.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks too Micheal Myer-ish. War's design was better.

That being said I'm more interested in gameplay than anything.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    :xWhat the FUCK?!

I guess I should have actually read the other posts beyond "Darksiders 2"

War has been sidelined?!

LAME :x

That character design looks shitty too...

:x:x:x

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Being sidelined" probably refers to him being on Earth.

The article says it's set in the underworld so makes sense.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if at some point there will come a time when Death loses one of the Scythes seeing as how War had the option of utilizing it in the first game. I doubt it, but it would be cool if they wove that into the story. Obviously Death would need another badass weapon to compensate for losing one of his scythes.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    :xWhat the FUCK?!

I guess I should have actually read the other posts beyond "Darksiders 2"

War has been sidelined?!

LAME :x

That character design looks shitty too...

:x:x:x

Darksiders-Wrath-of-War-Impressions.jpg

U MAD, WAR?

War: :x

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mutilate wrote: »
    I wonder if at some point there will come a time when Death loses one of the Scythes seeing as how War had the option of utilizing it in the first game. I doubt it, but it would be cool if they wove that into the story. Obviously Death would need another badass weapon to compensate for losing one of his scythes.

If this is happening during the same time frame as War's misadventure, my own guess based on zero facts is Death is freed or wakes and is rescuing the two remaining Horsemen. End of the game, the three go to join War to link up with the prior game's ending.

OR.

Something dumb happens that makes the Horsemen have to split up and solve issues at the same time. I hope it's not this.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's been a while since I played the game but
    Are the other 3 basically still in limbo while War goes on his revenge spree? I don't recall if it's ever explained fully how Abadon is able to summon just War and not the others. So maybe all the horseman are summoned but something prevents them from coming to help until the end? In this game we will see everything from Death's point of view leading up to him joining the other horseman at the end?

edit Wikipedia sort of answered my question but I think they still left it open if they wanted to go this route.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm moderately excited about Darksiders 2, but double scythes is just dumb.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sign me up! Loved the first Darksiders and am all frothy with excitement, especially on the change of setting. And if anything I think Death could use a few more scythes. He could have been riding one one like a surfboard for triple the cool.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I guess they changed their mind about going the co-op route with Darksiders 2?

I'm down with that. I wonder if they're planning on doing all 4 horsemen as their own individual games taking place on a concurrent timeline and have Darksiders 5 be the co-op "sequel" to all of them.

And I can't believe people are bitching about Deaths art. Really? I recall back when the first game was first announced and the art came out and some folks around here flipped the fuck out and started going on and on about derivative art and Mcfarlane crap. Didn't we get that out of our system back then? Given the art style from the first game, I would have been disappointed if Death was any less over the top than he is, and he is precisely the same style as War.

Either way I'm super excited about this. Darksiders was my GOTY last year. It wasn't the "best" game I played, but it was the one that I had thoroughly the most fun with start to finish. They'd have to dick up big time to screw up a sequel.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was a bit surprised to hear Darksiders II announced, but this was not a bad surprise at all.

SteevL on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That Game Informer front cover art is amazing.

Utterly astounding. Colour me so fucking hyped.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love that there are other people that really digged Darksiders and are hyped for the next one, it makes me believe that there are still good things in the world.

It's unashamed and a little cheesy but most importantly it's good fun. Woo go Darksiders!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darksiders was my sleeper hit of 2010. I needed something to tide me over until ME2 came out, but that game was fantastic.

Woo go Darksiders in-fucking-deed.

The missus has my copy. She's a bit slow with playthroughs. I need another one before it comes out. :(

Dunxco on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Considering how absurdly over-the-top the original was (in pretty much every aspect) you could, from jump street, expect the other horsemen to follow suit. Seeing death as a musclebound dude with a giant scythe and black/purple/skull outfit isn't terribly surprising. I don't love the design myself, but it's in keeping with the theme of the rest of the series.

From a mythological perspective--which is where the first game held most of my interest--I'm quite keen on seeing their take on the Abyss.

Darksiders was a funny game for me. I rolled my eyes at all the extreme/absurd elements and dialogue, but at the end of the day I still really enjoyed kicking around that ruined world.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Paradiso wrote: »
    From a mythological perspective--which is where the first game held most of my interest--I'm quite keen on seeing their take on the Abyss.

I like the cut of your jib because I could lime this phrase all day until the game comes out.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And I can't believe people are bitching about Deaths art. Really? I recall back when the first game was first announced and the art came out and some folks around here flipped the fuck out and started going on and on about derivative art and Mcfarlane crap. Didn't we get that out of our system back then? Given the art style from the first game, I would have been disappointed if Death was any less over the top than he is, and he is precisely the same style as War.

I just think War was a much cooler character design that Death.

That said, I fucking loved Darksiders so I am hella excited for this.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really excited. I agree that Death fits with the over-the-top, almost comic-book style of the first game (honestly, the art direction of Darksiders was a huge bonus for me -- I love that stuff), I just don't think he looks very good.

That's just my opinion, though; no need to go spreading it around.

But yeah. Totally excited.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The horseman War has been sidelined, so it’s up to his brother, Death, to travel through the world of the Abyss and attempt to restore humanity after its destruction during the Apocalypse.

Wait, so Death is out to revive humans?

Interesting...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could do with some more Darksiders. Count me in.
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm moderately excited about Darksiders 2, but double scythes is just dumb.
    Let me break it down for you: there are two of them. There is nothing that having two of isn't good. Nothing. I defy you to think of a thing that having two of those things isn't a good thing.

You can't say "tumors." That doesn't count.

I defy you to think of a thing (other than tumors) that having two of those things isn't a good thing. Also, you can't say "scythes." You already said that.

Monger on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmm well I loved Darksiders so I'll probably pick this up on day one.

That gun character (famine?) doesn't look too fun though so I hope he's never a protagonist.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if they're planning on doing all 4 horsemen as their own individual games...

This is what they said their plan was even before the first game was released.

reVerse on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not terribly long ago they said that Darksiders 2 was going to be a co-op game and they hadn't mentioned who it'd star.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think I just got the funniest comment my blog has ever seen - in response to a post about Death taking over from War:

1-162.jpg

Also - I too am very fond of War, but I'm definitely fonder of Darksiders. As long as we're getting a sequel, I'm a happy camper.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I loved the shit out of Darksiders and I'm super excited for this. I'm glad it's not War again. I'm interested to see how they change the gameplay for a new horseman. I can't wait for this.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's a part of me that wonders if the two scythes will be like using Agni and Rudra in DMC3. So much of Darksiders' combat mechanics were ripped from DMC, it makes sense.

Chance on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope they get a voice actor who can do his lines as ridiculously over the top as War's VA did.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Seriously. I frickin' loved Liam O'Brein as war. That entire game comes down to one and a half sentences that just thrill me to my core:
    War wrote:
    No.
    Not alone.

Chance on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chance wrote: »
    There's a part of me that wonders if the two scythes will be like using Agni and Rudra in DMC3. So much of Darksiders' combat mechanics were ripped from DMC, it makes sense.
    You mean, like, will they converse amongst themselves?

SIGH? What is SIGH?

Well, a SIGH is when

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Surprisingly people can dislike stuff for other reasons.

I don't dislike Death's art because it's derivative or whatever...I dislike it because it looks stupid.

And before anyone goes on about that being subjective or whatever. Of course I know it's subjective.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I don't dislike Death's art because it's derivative or whatever...I dislike it because it looks stupid.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think he looks about as stupid as War did in his concept art, and that turned out fine.

Chance on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Only thing I think is stupid is his face

And I'm not being silly here

It's just a hockey mask, no mouth

So I mean, if he's the main character, then he better be talking some shit like War, but it'll just look weird since he has no mouth to move

We'll see.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I sold the first Darksiders when I had my identity crisis about a year ago. I think I'll rebuy it. Should be going for a pretty good price right about now.

edit: Now that I think about it I also couldn't get past that giant sand worm boss. I had no idea what to do so it a was combination of a mental breakdown and frustration. I always regret snap decisions like that.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My spider-sense tells me the next game will have you play this guy.

My spider-sense is complete crap.

Still.

I think Strife would've been pretty fuckin' cool as a hyper-agile run-and-gun guy with a wicked cloak. Death just doesn't seem very...death-like.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope Death is basically Casey Jones from TMNT
    Strife should be PS2 Strider with dual pistols. Or Gungrave

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beezel wrote: »
    I hope Death is basically Casey Jones from TMNT
    Strife should be PS2 Strider with dual pistols. Or Gungrave

As long as Strife is nothing at all like this.
    Reminds me a lot of this.

Morvidus on