As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] Thread II : the hideous offspring of every game you love.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ugh christ. Anything but that.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That concept art makes me hopeful about Death's combat options.

Mostly whether or not he can go from two-handed scythes, to slamming those suckers together for a double-bladed scythe and whirling out some serious... Well, death, I suppose.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it bad that I want death to play like some sort of mix between Guilty Gear's Testament and Mike Haggar?

Beezel on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beezel wrote: »
    Is it bad that I want death to play like some sort of mix between Guilty Gear's Testament and Mike Haggar?

Haggar is required to offset the effeminate features of Testament, with enough testosterone left over to make Bridget cut his hair and put on pants.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd love Pro-Wrestler Death in a hockey mask. With Dual Wield Scythes. Jesus christ what am I missing out of the ultimate XTREME 90s here? Huge belt with pouches?

but pile driving a wraith or demon dog would be pretty baller

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lead pipe in one hand, scythe in the other.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like the cut of your jib, Morvidus

Beezel on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    I could do with some more Darksiders. Count me in.
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm moderately excited about Darksiders 2, but double scythes is just dumb.
    Let me break it down for you: there are two of them. There is nothing that having two of isn't good. Nothing. I defy you to think of a thing that having two of those things isn't a good thing.

You can't say "tumors." That doesn't count.

I defy you to think of a thing (other than tumors) that having two of those things isn't a good thing. Also, you can't say "scythes." You already said that.

Well, it's mostly that I think one big scythe would be much better than two smaller scythes. At least for initial showing off.

I'm imagining an excahange that went a little like this:
    "He's Death, he can't not have a scythe as his main weapon"
    "But War already had one"
    "I know, give him two scythes!"

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Perhaps they're just really big kamas?

This Death is pretty badass.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I"m very curious about what little story is given in that cover reveal. In the Darksiders comic, War basically guts Death with chaoseater and it's like "Silly man, I'm invulnerable". Going to need a hell of a de-powering to make him a protagonist.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Meh, Council will probably do that. Because they're dicks.

Big, flaming, rocky dicks.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Let me break it down for you: there are two of them. There is nothing that having two of isn't good. Nothing. I defy you to think of a thing that having two of those things isn't a good thing.

I defy you to think of a thing (other than tumors) that having two of those things isn't a good thing. Also, you can't say "scythes." You already said that.

Well, it's mostly that I think one big scythe would be much better than two smaller scythes. At least for initial showing off.

I don't think you could make a scythe much bigger than War's scythe, unless Death, himself, was entirely scythe.

Which would be pretty bitchin, come to think of it.

Monger on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I don't think you could make a scythe much bigger than War's scythe, unless Death, himself, was entirely scythe.

Which would be pretty bitchin, come to think of it.

Gun that fires scythes and/or scythechucks.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Catalase wrote: »
    I"m very curious about what little story is given in that cover reveal. In the Darksiders comic, War basically guts Death with chaoseater and it's like "Silly man, I'm invulnerable". Going to need a hell of a de-powering to make him a protagonist.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this also.

I'm kinda fedup with this genre having a massive depowering of a character that's supposed to be super hardcore right at the start. It's even worse when they tease you with his/her full range of powers before stripping them away. I'd kinda like to see one where your character starts off hardcore and actually loses powers graduall until at the very end you've got almost nothing left. Or hell, just have the main character stay fully powered but leave the discovery of how those powers work completely to the player. Sure that whole mechanic would be ruined by one trip to a FAQ, but whatever.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is that comic still available anywhere?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Catalase wrote: »

Well...

Death is just a killer of Man, right?

Demons, elementals, angelic beings, that type of stuff might be, y'know...tougher to kill than humans.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Is that comic still available anywhere?

It is now.

Peewi on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wasnt one of the horsemen a woman in the concept art? I thought it was death.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Wasnt one of the horsemen a woman in the concept art? I thought it was death.

No, Famine. Except they couldn't do Famine and still give her big tits so they changed a Horseman to Strife.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Except they couldn't do Famine and still give her big tits

Yeah, its like somebody was asleep at the wheel when they came up with the idea of Famine as a woman...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, they also renamed Pestilence, didn't they? Fury. Because Famine and Pestilence are boring or something.

The sad thing about it is that Pestilence was originally (y'know, in the Bible) called Conquest. Fucking Conquest! And they call him Fury? I'd much rather play a dude called fucking Conquest than Fury.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    fucking conquest

heh

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well, they also renamed Pestilence, didn't they? Fury. Because Famine and Pestilence are boring or something.

The sad thing about it is that Pestilence was originally (y'know, in the Bible) called Conquest. Fucking Conquest! And they call him Fury? I'd much rather play a dude called fucking Conquest than Fury.

Now I'm not sure. I thought they had gone with War, Death, Pestilence and Strife. I'm probably misremembering.

In any case, the one they renamed is female.

edit: Holy fuck, they changed BOTH of them. Jesus christ you do not change the fucking Horsemen of the Apocolypse people! Anyway, yeah, Fury is the woman. Pestilence was changed to Strife and given two guns. And looking at the actual Bible verses, War and Death and Conquer are pretty blatant, the fourth is murkily defined at best but seems to be either Famine or Inflation.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like Death's look. It's hilarious. He's so huge that dual wielding scythes looks more like dual wielding oddly shaped axes.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes, they changed the horsemen to be War, Death, Strife and Fury. Yes, it is rather silly. No, it is not new information.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait...so is one of them still a woman?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I like Death's look. It's hilarious. He's so huge that dual wielding scythes looks more like dual wielding oddly shaped axes.

I dunno... not a fan.

He looks like "Todd Macfarlane presents Casey Jones" and then at the last minute it was decided he needed to dual wield scythes because that was "fucking extreme"

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Igpx407 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ...Fucking extreme is awesome though...

That being said, while I still think War looks better, I've calm down on Death's design a bit. Still think his mask could look cooler though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I dunno... not a fan.

He looks like "Todd Macfarlane presents Casey Jones" and then at the last minute it was decided he needed to dual wield scythes because that was "fucking extreme"

That's the point. Darksiders is not really a series I come to for sensible ensemble.

I fully expect Strife to do mad kickflips off of a BMX made out of screaming babies that is also on fire, at some point.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ...Fucking extreme is awesome though...

That being said, while I still think War looks better, I've calm down on Death's design a bit. Still think his mask could look cooler though.

I don't think that's a mask. I think that's his face.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's a pretty sweet trailer.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think I'm just being shitty because I want to continue as War.

Darksiders 2 is gonna be awesome, even if I don't like the guy I have to play as :P

I'm guessing no Mark Hamil this time either?

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Wait...so is one of them still a woman?

I've always been confused on this point since War kept referring to them as his "brothers". Maybe Fury had reassignment surgery and hasn't been able to afford a mastectomy yet.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Cool trailer. Hopefully the PC logo at the end means simultaneous release. The PC version of the first came out much later than the console versions.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think saying "brothers" just flows better than saying "brothers and sister".

I mean you could just use siblings, but that doesn't sound as cool.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's a picture of all four of them in the OP, y'know. One of them is clearly a lady. Odd how some of you never noticed that.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So what's going on in the trailer? It looked like scenes from the first game, then Death out of nowhere.
    Edit: No speakers at work...

Does Darksiders 2 happen at the same time as the first game?

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    There's a picture of all four of them in the OP, y'know. One of them is clearly a lady. Odd how some of you never noticed that.

People read OPs? :P

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome, hope we see some gameplay at E3.

Trailer reminded me how much I liked the design style/concept of the angels too.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal