As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guns] FIRE EVERYTHING!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I always prefer my handguns to look like they're wrapped in bacon.
    those are actually really nice : )

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    My grandfather passed away this May, and when I was just back home for my grandmother's 90th birthday, I was given this -
    7n9vkLR.jpg

XF3rVm5.jpg

Colt 1903, originally purchased by my great grand uncle in 1917, who worked for the oil companies down in Mexico, and got it for personal protection during the later stages of the Mexican revolution. He then gave it to my grandfather when he joined the navy near the end of WW2, who used it to shoot sharks that were too persistent in hanging around the little ship he was posted on on the west coast. It's quietly sat in a box in a closest since before I was born. The only thing it's missing is the original magazine.

The barrel is hilariously loose. I bet you couldn't hit anything further than ten feet out. I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out and see how it's holding up.

Transporting it home was quietly hilarious. I presented the locked hard case at the airport check in kiosk, said I need to declare a hand gun for checked baggage, filled out a tag, picked it back up off the baggage carousel back home, and that was that.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Awesome button is not enough. That thing is fucking awesome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    [Paragon] wrote: »
    The composite stock version is the one I'm looking at as well, but I'm still pretty torn as I really really want one of the new scorpion carbines, so I don't have to dick around getting the pistol SBRed.

I took it out yesterday and was shocked at how little recoil there was. About push the same as my AR, but actually the muzzle brake changed the sound so it was super tame overall. I was also very happy with the smoothness of the bolt, because some of the videos I saw it looked like people were working pretty hard at times.

I just shot at 50 yards unsupported but was putting them all in an 8" ring with no trouble.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    musanman wrote: »
    [Paragon] wrote: »
    The composite stock version is the one I'm looking at as well, but I'm still pretty torn as I really really want one of the new scorpion carbines, so I don't have to dick around getting the pistol SBRed.

I took it out yesterday and was shocked at how little recoil there was. About push the same as my AR, but actually the muzzle brake changed the sound so it was super tame overall. I was also very happy with the smoothness of the bolt, because some of the videos I saw it looked like people were working pretty hard at times.

I just shot at 50 yards unsupported but was putting them all in an 8" ring with no trouble.

Pics of the gun kthx

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Is it OK to store a handgun with the slide drawn back like that?

Yep, chamber flags and locks put through the slide/breech will push the slide back as well. Most factory guns come with a chamber flag in, which means they've been sitting since mfg with the slide partway pushed back anyway. Plus recoil springs are cheap and easy to replace....for the most part, there are always outliers to that.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    So thread, anyone have opinions on the Beretta Nano?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Too late!

I already picked one up this morning. :hydra:

uewbpxtvwtfz.jpg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Wow, that thing really IS tiny! How does it shoot?
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Awesome button is not enough. That thing is fucking awesome.
    It is an amazing piece and the legacy behind it is what really gets my interest.

Which, if anyone has an eiditic enough memory to remember the guns I've posted over the years, is true for pretty much all of them.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Wow, that thing really IS tiny! How does it shoot?

No idea, I haven't taken it to the range yet. I should be going on Monday with a friend of mine.

Here is a picture of it next to a PS4 controller!

3zjbcel8p7hp.jpg

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Too dinky for Krogan-sized me. Those teeny-tiny guns are so small in my hand they feel like I'm trying to shoot a stapler. Here's Hickok's review, and he's even bigger than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxpkM7q_2E

• Options
    I took it out last night and put 140 rounds thru it. 100 of 115gr FMJ and 40 of Critical Defense 115gr. It actually shoots really well. The trigger pull is super long and so is the reset, which I am going to see if a gunsmith can adjust, but it's smooth. The gun has a lot of material under the slide so with a two thumbs forward grip, there is plenty of room to have skin contact with the frame which really helps control the recoil for followup shots.

Overall, I really like it.

Steam
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Following the thread rules

(3) This thread is not for debate about gun control. You're welcome to mention certain going-ons- gun rights court cases, for example. I also invite you to discuss encounters you've had with other people and their feelings. But don't be a douchebag. Don't be pugnacious. Chill out. If you have genuine, good-faith questions about firearms and why people like them, you're welcome to ask. But seriously chill. I got the mods in my pocket, son, and I'll be on you so fast.

I figured it would be good to post the link to the President's address today where he'll lay out his thoughts on gun control. Not looking to debate it, just posting the information as it arrives. Live feed (starting in 30 minutes, also, the White House needs to work on hyperlink shortening)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/president-obama-delivers-remark-reducing-gun-violence-and-making-our-communities-safer?source=socnet_tw_GVP_20160105_bo_stop-gun-violence_promo_1&utm_medium=socnet&utm_source=tw&utm_campaign=socnet_tw_GVP_20160105_bo_stop-gun-violence_promo_1&utm_content=20160105_bo_stop-gun-violence_promo_1

In other news, I'm picking up a Mosin Nagant in a few weeks and despite the ban on Russian imports I'm NOT going to have to pay like $300 for it, so YAY!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Just remember to invest that extra $300 so you can afford your first shoulder surgery.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Just remember to invest that extra $300 so you can afford your first shoulder surgery.

No shit. I used to hunt with a 30 .06 so I figure it won't be TOO different but still. I'm going to have to get a rubber pad to go over the metal on the end of the butt.

I'd do the Archangel stock if I felt like cutting it up but I just can't do that.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    You could always get a recoil shield too. Spent half a day sighting in my dad's M44 and emerged un-bruised from it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You could always get a recoil shield too. Spent half a day sighting in my dad's M44 and emerged un-bruised from it.

Yeah there are some folks that call them "pussy pads" or other similarly-themed names, but those folks are fucking morons. Toxic masculinity is monumentally stupid. Do whatever you can to make shooting more fun, I say.

• Options
    Oh yeah totally. I have no aversion to a shooting pad.

Honestly I'm only getting the rifle because 1) it's a cool piece of history, 2) it fires damn near underwater, soaked in mud, and 3) I need something to carry in my pack if I'm in the woods for a week or more just for like hogs or the like. It's really just a backup piece of hardware which is why I wanted to go military surplus.

I don't think my 9mm is going to do much good if a boar decides to take a go at my tent, which is unlikely, but hey, that's why we're here.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Oh yeah totally. I have no aversion to a shooting pad.

Honestly I'm only getting the rifle because 1) it's a cool piece of history, 2) it fires damn near underwater, soaked in mud, and 3) I need something to carry in my pack if I'm in the woods for a week or more just for like hogs or the like. It's really just a backup piece of hardware which is why I wanted to go military surplus.

I don't think my 9mm is going to do much good if a boar decides to take a go at my tent, which is unlikely, but hey, that's why we're here.

Mosins are great fun to shoot, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it for something like dealing with boar. Unless you have the bayonet and plan on using it as a spear, or as a club. But even then I'd probably just recommend a heavier pistol round. Or any other rifle made in the last century. Mosin bolts can be heavy to work, and if you need a second shot, you might want something a faster.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    An M44 Mosin Nagant is like 9 lbs and 50" long. It's too big and heavy to be a woods gun when you aren't hunting. Comparatively, both a 12 gauge Mossberg 590 and a 30/30 lever action Marlin 336 are about 7 lbs and 40" long. The weight and size difference is very noticeable when you have to trek it around.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    IIRC the best woods/bear/(moose?) defense gun is going to be a Glock in 10mm shooting solid FMJ ammo.

A Marlin in 45-70 would be more appropriate for the last two, but size/weight

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Yeah there are some folks that call them "pussy pads" or other similarly-themed names, but those folks are fucking morons. Toxic masculinity is monumentally stupid. Do whatever you can to make shooting more fun, I say.

And even some of them will say that they're acceptable for Mosins. Most of us don't wear the heavy, thick winter coats Russian soldiers wore when Mosins were in use.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    So Hickok45's Youtube channel got shutdown this morning!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153794306737270&id=264641617269

Steam
  • Options
    There's no way that's legitimate.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The Hickok45 channel is back on Youtube now. I'm sure we will learn more details over time, but it's more than a little suspicious that his channel was removed "accidentally" by Google the nite after President Obama's gun control speech. Were I Hickok and his son, I'd be researching other video hosting services right now.

• Options
    Eh. All it takes is one full-scale brigading and it triggers the auto-takedown. There's no way Google is going to manually drop a million + subscriber channel with no warning. The fact they brought it back up less than 12 hours after it went down is proof of that.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It seems like issue might be related to google+ not youtube.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

Got a moldable one that slides into an under armor style shirt for my dad after his stenosis surgery....he loves it.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

This sounds like something that would come out of the military, though having a hard butt stock there actually has practical value.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The Hickok45 channel is back on Youtube now. I'm sure we will learn more details over time, but it's more than a little suspicious that his channel was removed "accidentally" by Google the nite after President Obama's gun control speech. Were I Hickok and his son, I'd be researching other video hosting services right now.

Yeah, no. This was likely a fuckup by someone somewhere, instead of a cabal of "anti-gunners" teaming up to snitch on Hickok45. I mean, he's one of the least "da gubmint iz a-comin' to tek yer gunz!!" Youtube gun channels out there. Surely Iraqveteran8888, TheYankeeMarshall, nutnfancy, James Yeagar or someone like them would be targeted by censorship snitches?

• Options
    IIRC the best woods/bear/(moose?) defense gun is going to be a Glock in 10mm shooting solid FMJ ammo.

A Marlin in 45-70 would be more appropriate for the last two, but size/weight

I'm not worried about bear/moose or anything like that. I'm mostly in Tennessee and not in the Gatlinburg area so that's not a real concern.

You're all probably right about the weight/size though. Either way I'll have it since it's free(!) but I'll look into something else for the pack if it proves too cumbersome.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Hickok put up a video explaining the situation, which I put on my 'watch later' list. Now the video, and his account is deleted. I have no idea why and I don't trust reports not from the man himself.
    edit- his update on his facebook says there is no issue with the youtube account itself, the issue is with google+. So he's deleted everything off his google+ and put in an appeal. -fake edit I think that update might have been before his account went down again.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    He's back up again... again?

Yeah.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    Yes, came back-- again-- about an hour ago. My guess is that Hickok45 is under attack on Google+ by someone who has figured out which posts on Google+ will trigger Google's auto-ban algorithm, which also takes down Hickok's Youtube channel.

• Options
    So I picked up the Mosin and a box of 1971 surplus Russian 7.62 when I went home!

ciib1bwhgnsv.jpg

vohms7m4a5uo.jpg

Mosin is in good shape. I looked it up and it's an Izzy (made in Russia) from 1943. It's got matching numbers on everything but the butt plate, which doesn't have numbers, so that may have been replaced at some point but I don't really care because the barrel, receiver, and magazine are all matching.

It's awesome to hold. I need to clean it out and work on some surface rust. I'm going to do a 5% vinegar solution and some true blue afterward and hopefully that will do it. Need to resand and seal the wood again as well and get a rubber butt pad for it.

My dad had only fired it twice, and gave me a ton of ammo, which was 7.62x39 so I have no fucking clue how it fired correctly or how he was able to get the shells out after.

But it's mine!

Also got some old school camping gear and military surplus stuff while I was there. Good times!

• Options
    zmATwmnl.jpg?1

Just picked up a Tangfolio Witness Elite Match in .45

One of the best SA triggers out of the box I've ever experienced. 2.5-2.0lb pull weight, no creep very very little take up. Breaks like glass. Can't wait to go shoot it.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    I have a Rock Island Armory GI model 1911. It was my first centerfire pistol. I've been wanting to upgrade.

My wishlist was:

blued
    short trigger (partly because I think they look better but mostly because I have short fingers)
    useable sights (3 dot is fine)

Since I'm cheap and dont want to spend $800-1000 for an old Colt that pretty much narrows it down to Springfields and I got this off of Gunbroker for a stupid good price

DEF9l40.jpg

The bluing has a nice used but not abused look to it, the short trigger plus those grips make it feel amazing in the hand. I think I'm in love

pHo0K7G.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Love the wear patina, good find. Few things wear as well as a good 1911.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    I think your next step is to open up a P.I. office and get mixed up in some crazy cases.

This discussion has been closed.