As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guns] FIRE EVERYTHING!

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Carcano rifles?

I recently saw 11.22.63 and became interested in getting a Carcano, because I only have one bolt action (Mosin), and I'm interested in getting another. My other choice is a Ruger American Rifle (probably in 30-06 as I have a semi auto .308 already).

How rare is the ammunition (7.35 and 6.5)? Is one cartridge more difficult to find than the other, and is it worth looking for one chambering or the other?

edit: I saw some 7.35 carcano for about .75 cents a round. Does anyone make reloading tools for this cartridge?

Lee makes dies for 7.35 and 6.5 and PPU makes brass, you can snag most of it from midway (dies on amazon as well) it looks like, Graf and Sons appears to have brass and hornady makes bullets.

[Paragon] on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    T6w3tfG.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing by the mangled casing and intact-looking pistol components that this was just a spectacular failure to eject?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    The case from the last round in the magazine came falling out of the grip when I ejected the magazine and I have no idea how it ended up mangled like that yet the slide was locked open. So I took out the extractor trying to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary (I didnt). Quite the mystery.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Oh, well, there's your problem - you left the pen in your pistol. You gotta take that out before you shoot.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I was picking up a gun at my FFL and I spotted this vintage UMC ammo on a shelf. He asked if I wanted to buy and and welp

I'm unsure of the age. The Lonoke factory opened in 1970 and apparently they stopped marketing as UMC and switched to Remington UMC in 1987. The modernish wording on the boxes and warning labels and the fact that they're sitting in plastic and not a cardboard tray suggests to me its much closer to 87 than 70 but the UMC logo is definitely old.

9TbaZWv.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Dammit, someone just put my White Whale up on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567801163

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    It is actually not that difficult to find original Winchester 1897 pump shotguns with external hammers, as lots of cowboy action shooters restore them. The main problem though, they are fragile compared to modern shotguns, particularly with the abuse that competition shooters put into them.

Now if you don't care about owning a piece of history and just want a hammered pump that you can actually shoot on a regular basis, get an IAC M97. It looks identical to the Winchester 1897, but internally it has less parts, making it more reliable. Albeit, there's still more parts in an 1897 than in any modern pump, so you almost always want to run quality low power brass shells through it.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know I could walk out with a Norinco for $399 any day of the week, but owning the real trench is the dream. It's been a while since I last checked, but the last time I saw one it was a numbers-matching package with all the accessories and it opened at $4k.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I've had Apex's Defensive/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) in my M&P9 for several years. Trigger pull is a consistent 6.5lbs. Heres the reset and pull

http://i.imgur.com/qGdIscC.gifv

And I just installed the Forward Set Sear kit in my M&P45. The DCAEK is already miles better than the factory trigger pull but the FSS shortens the trigger pull even more (though visually its hard to tell). It comes with a 5lb trigger spring and a 4lb spring. I put the 5lb in but my gauge is showing a consistant 6lb pull. Not sure if I want to put the 4lb in or not. Will shoot it first before I decide.

http://i.imgur.com/rKuz7T5.gifv

The forward rest position of the trigger is also further rearward than the DCAEK which is nice because the 45 has a longer (front to back) grip and I have short babby fingers.

And lastly I installed Wilson Combat Vickers u-notch rear / fiber optic front sights. This is a shitty photo because the front sight isnt in focus but you get the idea.

FMnKT4F.jpg

blVbIm9.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Basticle wrote: »
    I've had Apex's Defensive/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) in my M&P9 for several years. Trigger pull is a consistent 6.5lbs. Heres the reset and pull

http://i.imgur.com/qGdIscC.gifv

And I just installed the Forward Set Sear kit in my M&P45. The DCAEK is already miles better than the factory trigger pull but the FSS shortens the trigger pull even more (though visually its hard to tell). It comes with a 5lb trigger spring and a 4lb spring. I put the 5lb in but my gauge is showing a consistant 6lb pull. Not sure if I want to put the 4lb in or not. Will shoot it first before I decide.

http://i.imgur.com/rKuz7T5.gifv

The forward rest position of the trigger is also further rearward than the DCAEK which is nice because the 45 has a longer (front to back) grip and I have short babby fingers.

I never went with the FSS because it bumps me out of stock service / production, but I've shot it and it's nice. I have the DCAEK in my M&P 9c and it's lovely. When I bought my 5" 9mm pro I bought the Apex Competition setup (AEK) before I even had the gun delivered. Absolutely fantastic gear. I haven't measured the Pro's weight but it's probably sub 3 lbs...definitely not carry hardware!

If you don't have it, I highly recommend the Reset Assist Mechanism. The RAM is my favorite part of the whole setup, and probably the cheapest single component.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    lol I ordered these parts before I even got the gun too and then I had to wait 2 months for S&W to replace it because there was a slight problem with it (but hey I got what was advertised as a NIB M&P45 for $400 off gunbroker and then 2 months later got an actual NIB M&P45 for free plus 2 extra mags because they specifically tell you not to ship mags with the gun).

Also i dont have the RAM, guess I never felt the need for it? Why do I need it? (not sarcastic question).

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Basticle wrote: »

Also i dont have the RAM, guess I never felt the need for it? Why do I need it? (not sarcastic question).

You get a super tactile reset feeling. I love the APEX kit, and the stock Pro setup is still pretty nice, but both lack a really tactile reset. On the release you can feel it, and even hear it click after you put the RAM in. It really helped me shoot competitions because I could fire, learn exactly where the reset was, and then quickly re-engage.

I am not a fan of glock triggers for the most part, but the reset is one thing they have right. The RAM gets that crisp reset feel.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    The Apex M&P upgrades are awesome. I prefer the aluminum triggers over the poly, personally.

The RAM is also a must-have. Shame they don't make one for the Shield.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Took the day off with a co-worker to go shooting for the first time at an outdoor DNR range tomorrow and it's supposed to be a a beautiful day. He's a history buff, so we had been chatting about it and since he's bringing the guns I picked up the ammo. He's got a Swiss K31 that I couldn't find any 7.5x55 Swiss for in stock, but he's bringing a Turkish Mauser that he has 8mm Mauser for already (a Gewehr 98, I think - from what he was telling me the thing is so old it's not even a rifle legally speaking), a P38 handgun, and an Enfield that was rechambered from .303 into .30-06 as part of WWII lend-lease.

Picked up a box of .30-06 from a local supergrocer. My friend recommended Winchester over Remington since he was having feed issues on his P38 with Remington, but they were all out of Winchester whitebox 9mm there and at Gander Mountain. Wound up going to Wal-Mart, and they had 50ct Federal and Winchester in stock, so I grabbed one of each to see which the P38 prefers. First time buying ammo too, which feels strangely yet predictably illicit at 9 o'clock on a weekday night.

Got a decent pair of clear-lensed ANSI glasses and I've had a pair of Howard Leigh muffs for awhile, so I think I'm set!

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Took the day off with a co-worker to go shooting for the first time at an outdoor DNR range tomorrow and it's supposed to be a a beautiful day. He's a history buff, so we had been chatting about it and since he's bringing the guns I picked up the ammo. He's got a Swiss K31 that I couldn't find any 7.5x55 Swiss for in stock, but he's bringing a Turkish Mauser that he has 8mm Mauser for already (a Gewehr 98, I think - from what he was telling me the thing is so old it's not even a rifle legally speaking), a P38 handgun, and an Enfield that was rechambered from .303 into .30-06 as part of WWII lend-lease.

Picked up a box of .30-06 from a local supergrocer. My friend recommended Winchester over Remington since he was having feed issues on his P38 with Remington, but they were all out of Winchester whitebox 9mm there and at Gander Mountain. Wound up going to Wal-Mart, and they had 50ct Federal and Winchester in stock, so I grabbed one of each to see which the P38 prefers. First time buying ammo too, which feels strangely yet predictably illicit at 9 o'clock on a weekday night.

Got a decent pair of clear-lensed ANSI glasses and I've had a pair of Howard Leigh muffs for awhile, so I think I'm set!

Gewehr 98s are old but they aren't so old that they fall into weird grey areas. They are pretty clearly rifles with a stripper clip design. They are a little bit younger than Mosins in terms of the age of the base design. The Gewehr 98s ended up being a way more influential design but with a shorter service history. The really weird ones are the ones that ended up in Israeli hands post WWII.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Gewehr 98s are old but they aren't so old that they fall into weird grey areas. They are pretty clearly rifles with a stripper clip design. They are a little bit younger than Mosins in terms of the age of the base design. The Gewehr 98s ended up being a way more influential design but with a shorter service history. The really weird ones are the ones that ended up in Israeli hands post WWII.

Yeah, I think it was more in jest + a C&R license was involved at some point in it's acquisition, I don't know if he had one at the time or he bought from a friend who had one.

Range report:

Got a kick out of clearing up a lot of misconceptions. 9mm is unexpectedly small, .30-06 is larger than I thought. Holy shit everything is LOUD. Even with a proper set of rifle muffs on .30-06 is punishingly loud for shooter or observers. I can tell I'm anticipating prior to the break and it's giving me some wobble, and then I'm flinching while firing. 9mm is quite snappy, even if it's not the cannon that .30-06 is.

The recoil, which is what everyone warned me about, doesn't bother me at all - but everything is just way, way loud.

After a first flier to about 3 or 4 inches left of the bullseye at 25 yards unsupported standing, I was standing and supported the rifle on a sandbag and managed to put 5 rounds into a group not much larger than a half dolllar an inch right and with two inches vertical spread. Not that you wouldn't lose it anyways while working the bolt, but I'm losing sight picture just from the recoil so it's hard to find my shots - the scope on the rifle wasn't a great one and I kind of had to "search" the scope to find the right angle to see through it, so the recoil ruins that, plus flinching.

I shot the P38 at 10 yards, supported standing, 6 round groups - two bulleyes and 4 made it onto the target. Next 6 I shanked entirely - I was trying to figure out where to hold the front sight post on the target and over-corrected, or something. Shot a dozen more and kept maybe 10/12 on target, no bullseyes.

Was hoping to hang a target at 100 yards for the .30-06 but we called it an early day - 80+ and hadn't thought to pack water.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I really like shooting 9mm. I keep meaning to get a CZ 75.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I really like shooting 9mm. I keep meaning to get a CZ 75.

Always a good idea. Big and heavy (all steel) for a full-size 9mm these days, but you can't beat it for quality and price.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I still say the best affordable 9mm on the shelves right now is the Canik TP9 SA.

It's the glock trigger system (if you're into that) for under $350, and that price has gone up $100 since the gun launched two years ago.

Canik is going to become a much bigger brand as the years pass, and the value of that gun will go up most likely.

The only downside I've found with it is that it's picky on ammo. I have no problems chewing through boxes of Federal but I put some remington in there and it jammed twice over 50 rounds.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Anyone have a recommendation for an entry-level target .22? Cabela's has semi-auto Savage on sale for $100, which seems too good to pass up, but it doesn't have Accutrigger and I'm gathering that it's basically just a plinking gun and trying to do any target shooting with it is going to be a frustrating experience. I'm thinking I'd like a bolt-action over a semi-auto or a levergun, so that takes out the usual 10/22 or Marlin recommendations.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Anyone have a recommendation for an entry-level target .22? Cabela's has semi-auto Savage on sale for $100, which seems too good to pass up, but it doesn't have Accutrigger and I'm gathering that it's basically just a plinking gun and trying to do any target shooting with it is going to be a frustrating experience. I'm thinking I'd like a bolt-action over a semi-auto or a levergun, so that takes out the usual 10/22 or Marlin recommendations.

CZ 453/452. Lot of choices for exact trim level, quality rifle no matter which way you go.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    The quintessential bolt action 22 is probably the Savage Mark II FVT, the model with an adjustable peep rear sight and a shrouded front sight, which has been calling my name as an entry level biathlon rifle base.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Just bought a Ruger AR 556 today. My first AR and the second firearm I've bought. I was given a Ruger P85 9mm that I'm pretty sure is at least 30 years old by my late father in law before my wife and I got married to keep her safe. That was pretty much the coolest thing ever. I had an issue with the firearm and sent it into Ruger and they fixed it up for me at no cost and with no paperwork. I also inherited a shotgun and a hunting rifle that I've never shot and look pretty old. I don't own any ammo for them either. I also bought an yugo NPAP several years ago because I figured it would be fun to shoot. That thing is a piece of junk and I can't even get on paper at 100 yards from a bench. I do pretty well with an M16 so I'm pretty sure it isn't me.

I'm really stoked about having my own AR finally. I decided to let my membership at the range lapse this year so I might hold off even shooting it. But I wanted to get one now in case prices get even higher over the next few months.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Has .22 ammo become somewhat easily available again?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Not here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

In TN it has as long as it's not WalMart.

I've seen it at all the sporting goods stores in packs from 50-500 reasonably priced. Not as low as it once was, but still more than cheap enough to stock up on a thousand rounds.

I picked up 150 regular and 50 subsonic for like $25 this past weekend with no hassles.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

I think regionally it has. I haven't any too many issues finding it up in NH in the last year, but even the stores have told me they've gone out of stock a few times in that period.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Just bought a Ruger AR 556 today. My first AR and the second firearm I've bought. I was given a Ruger P85 9mm that I'm pretty sure is at least 30 years old by my late father in law before my wife and I got married to keep her safe. That was pretty much the coolest thing ever. I had an issue with the firearm and sent it into Ruger and they fixed it up for me at no cost and with no paperwork. I also inherited a shotgun and a hunting rifle that I've never shot and look pretty old. I don't own any ammo for them either. I also bought an yugo NPAP several years ago because I figured it would be fun to shoot. That thing is a piece of junk and I can't even get on paper at 100 yards from a bench. I do pretty well with an M16 so I'm pretty sure it isn't me.

I'm really stoked about having my own AR finally. I decided to let my membership at the range lapse this year so I might hold off even shooting it. But I wanted to get one now in case prices get even higher over the next few months.

I'd start scooping up cheap mags at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if they start disappearing closer to the election. Same thing happened in '08 and '12.

• Options

I'd start scooping up cheap mags at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if they start disappearing closer to the election. Same thing happened in '08 and '12.

Scoop up all things firearm and ammo related. I've been burned on this like 3 times during Obama's tenure. HE'S GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS FOR REAL THIS TIME!! And poof the shelves clear. I finally have managed to stock up about 1500 rounds of 9mm and a bunch of 5.56, 308, and .22. Another reason I dumped the .380, .40, and .45s (I can't stock up that many types of ammo! 9mm only for me!

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Gun and Ammo makers must love Obama.

• Options
    Okay so I need some shopping advice.

I've got a limited allowance for firearms in the house. My wife doesn't really like them, she shoots well but she doesn't want a "house full of guns" and I'm cool with that since you know, marriage and compromise and all.

Right now I have my 9mm automatic which is pretty much just home defense and stays hidden. I have an old Mosin Nagant which is my deer rifle, and I'm looking to get a couple of collector blackpowder pieces

I definitely want a Hawken rifle and already have that lined up.

I'm torn between getting a replica 1850-1860 percussion revolver or a single shot pistol. Right now I'm leaning toward the percussion just because I've been on a civil war weapons kick and they're easier to come by in stores.

I know I want a 22 and I know I want a lever action. Originally I was going to get a 30-30 but between the 9mm and mosin and blackpowder I've got enough heavy ammo shooters so I want something for squirrels, rabbits, plinking, etc.

Is it dumb to get a 22 over a 30-30 if I'm going lever action? Also which lever action is the best for the money right now? I know Marlin and Henry both make good products but is there somewhere else I should be looking?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I shoot Cowboy Action, so I've seen a lot of blackpowder guns, and most of them seem like a pain in the butt to deal with, mainly due to how difficult they are to clean.

So if you want the look of the 1860 Colt Army/Navy single action revolver, I'd suggest a converted version that shoots standard 38 special or 45 colt. You'll shoot it much more often than if you got the blackpowder version, and it'll look almost the same.

As for lever guns, I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy and it's been great. Accurate, reliable, and easy to field strip, more so after I replaced the single takedown screw with a thumbscrew. And for ammo convenience, mine's in the same caliber as my single actions.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    A .22 lever action is a lot of fun. It was the first gun I learned to shoot on. Mine happens to be a Browning.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I'm a handgun guy but I think my first rifle will be a lever-action, in one of the heavier pistol calibers like .357 or .44 Magnum. Lots of bad press about Marlin's quality control lately, have they improved ?

• Options
    It looks like Marlin division has gotten a lot better. I have a pre-Remington Marlin, so obviously I love mine, but from what I can tell, post-Remington Marlin got its act together by around 2014. The main difference these days is that you don't get the hand polish of the old Marlins, as the newer Marlins are machine polished, but it seems like they brought back the fit and reliability that the old Marlin was known for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-B8luT_BU

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Any recommendations for a good gun safe? Looking for something that holds 12-16 long guns and would prefer something that has a good setup to hold pistols as well.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Just got the Ruger AR 556. It is one sexy piece of metal. The fit and finish seems to me at least top notch. For a budget AR-15 it just seems amazing. The pins seem really tight though, I'm worried about scratching the finish popping her open and looking at the bolt. I can't wait to go to the range with it. The trigger feels great. I love the pop up sights. It even came with a front sight adjustment tool AND some sort of gun lock nonsense with a key that I'll find a use for somewhere.

I finally have a scary black rifle of my own.

Unfortunately, the good range nearby starts its membership year in January and is fairly expensive. You need a current membership to the NRA and pay a reasonable fee. I don't think my wife will let me do that AND buy a big box of ammo AND some fun accessories. Especially since she went test driving new cars yesterday and our central AC needs replaced. I'm going to try and go out to the range next weekend with my dad but after that I'll probably not get to touch her until next year.

furbat on
  • Options

Unfortunately, the good range nearby starts its membership year in January and is fairly expensive. You need a current membership to the NRA and pay a reasonable fee. I don't think my wife will let me do that AND buy a big box of ammo AND some fun accessories. Especially since she went test driving new cars yesterday and our central AC needs replaced. I'm going to try and go out to the range next weekend with my dad but after that I'll probably not get to touch her until next year.

I have an AR, but I really like the look of that one...

I put off getting one for a really long time because I knew it would be a money pit (it's basically barbies for gun nuts). I have been surprisingly responsible only buying a stock, flip up sights, handguard, an EOTech, a forward mount. Wait that's not responsible that's way more than I paid for the gun.

Damn it.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    musanman wrote: »

I have an AR, but I really like the look of that one...

I put off getting one for a really long time because I knew it would be a money pit (it's basically barbies for gun nuts). I have been surprisingly responsible only buying a stock, flip up sights, handguard, an EOTech, a forward mount. Wait that's not responsible that's way more than I paid for the gun.

Damn it.

For Christmas I'm totally buying a vortex strike eagle 1-6x hehe.

This discussion has been closed.